Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/index.php)
-   Help Desk (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What OS are you running? (http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=169)

Agent Olive Mar 2, 2006 04:01 PM

What OS are you running?

I am using Windows XP, but I am planning on switching to either Ubuntu or OS X soon.

Sir VG Mar 2, 2006 04:04 PM

Windows 2000 SP4.

Great OS highly recommended if you don't want to use Linux.

Snowknight Mar 2, 2006 04:04 PM

I am running--amongst the computers in my house--Windows Server 2003, Gentoo Linux, Slackware Linux, and Windows 3.11.
Slackware and Windows 3.11 are on a machine that I don't really use anymore; it sits in my closet.
Server 2003 is on my "main" PC, and Gentoo is on my server-thing.

Nogib Mar 2, 2006 04:07 PM

Sticking with XP................for now.

SonicEchidna Mar 2, 2006 04:18 PM

Windows XP SP2

I hate Windows with a passion, but seeing as though a Mac is a little out of my price range at the moment, I've got no choice.

T1249NTSCJ Mar 2, 2006 04:29 PM

Windows XP PE. It looks like I'll be sticking with this for a few months, seeing as Vista is out soon.

quazi Mar 2, 2006 04:33 PM

XP SP2

It's orking fine, but it's giving me a hell of a time setting my DVD-RW to Ultra DMA mode instead of its PIO setting.

Snowknight Mar 2, 2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quazi
XP SP2

It's orking fine, but it's giving me a hell of a time setting my DVD-RW to Ultra DMA mode instead of its PIO setting.

I had this problem on another machine recently; it would randomly switch back to PIO after time. The resolution, in this case, was to get the proper driver for the computer's IDE controller. (I doubt you have that issue, though.)

You might want to try uninstalling the device to see if Windows fixes that issue if you haven't done so already.

maxdevis Mar 2, 2006 04:39 PM

dual boot:
Ubunutu 5.10
XP pro

qbeman Mar 2, 2006 04:45 PM

XP SP2

It usually works ok, but sometimes it acts weird and screws my entire desktop... o.0

Tube Mar 2, 2006 05:19 PM

XP Pro SP2

Vista's gonna blow. Except for general Windows bugfixes/stability, which I don't doubt will be improved since they were like starting from the ground up.

Duminas Mar 2, 2006 05:34 PM

I'm running Gentoo Linux happily.
Nice and quick, though I accidentally blew up the imlib library earlier. ;_;

Simply put, that means I lost my desktop and some other related things for a short while.

TRZD Mar 2, 2006 05:40 PM

This laptop has XP Home, desktop computer at home has XP Pro. Haven't really noticed much difference between the two at all, though this laptop's much newer and runs a lot faster even if the specs aren't so greatly different.

Gilmour Mar 2, 2006 06:44 PM

XP Pro SP2

I dont really understand peoples problems with Windows XP, as long as you treat it with due care and attention and not let it get riddled with spyware and virus's then it performs quite well with a yearly reformat

Snowknight Mar 2, 2006 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilmour
XP Pro SP2

I dont really understand peoples problems with Windows XP, as long as you treat it with due care and attention and not let it get riddled with spyware and virus's then it performs quite well with a yearly reformat

There are many people, however, that cannot afford a yearly format. Even so, a yearly format shouldn't be so necessary to keep an OS working the way it should.

Kaiten Mar 2, 2006 07:18 PM

Until they port foobar2000, EAC, Kega Fusion... etc. Over to Linux, I'm using Windows XP SP2. With the right tweaking it can *almost* be as lean as Win2k SP4

bighunt Mar 2, 2006 08:01 PM

All Mac, all the time.... i'm using OS 10.3

Neogin Mar 2, 2006 08:02 PM

XP Home. It works fine for me, you just have to treat your computer with gentle care.

YoMan Mar 2, 2006 08:10 PM

Win Xp PE Sp2, it works fine

Excrono Mar 2, 2006 08:19 PM

I have been running the same install of Windows 2000 SP4 for almost two years now (almost 5 in total), and it has proven to be rock-solid (aside from a few driver related issues.) At this rate, I could easily run it for another 5-10 years and not even consdier upgrading.

Neogin Mar 2, 2006 08:21 PM

I've read that Microsoft will not support 2000, 95, 98, or ME starting spring of 2007, or something. All I know is that it's going to be soon, so..good luck with that.

freaKperfume Mar 2, 2006 08:36 PM

Dualboot:

- Windows XP Pro for games, managing my music collection (the organizing system I've used for years isn't quite compatible with Linux file systems; it would be much less of a hassle if Linux could handle NTFS perfectly, though), software which I've found no equivalent under Linux yet (EAC comes to mind)

- Kubuntu 5.10 for everything else

Before Kubuntu, I had Mandrake Linux, which I've rarely used. Since I switched to Kubuntu, I roughly spend an equal amount of time in each OS.

Kaiten Mar 2, 2006 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freaKperfume
Dualboot:

- Windows XP Pro for games, managing my music collection (the organizing system I've used for years isn't quite compatible with Linux file systems; it would be much less of a hassle if Linux could handle NTFS perfectly, though), software which I've found no equivalent under Linux yet (EAC comes to mind)

- Kubuntu 5.10 for everything else

Before Kubuntu, I had Mandrake Linux, which I've rarely used. Since I switched to Kubuntu, I roughly spend an equal amount of time in each OS.

I'd dualboot, but my HDD space is low and I don't want either OS fiddling with the DST (daylight savings time) settings, they'll cancel each other out. Though I might try a Linux Live CD...

BlueMikey Mar 2, 2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxdevis
dual boot:
Ubunutu 5.10
XP pro

Quote:

Originally Posted by bighunt
All Mac, all the time.... i'm using OS 10.3

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoMan
Win Xp PE Sp2, it works fine

Just so everyone knows, this is how not to make a post in this thread. Say something a little more to accompany your response. Perhaps we could add a poll for people who don't want to say anything.

I use Windows XP (SP2, of course). I'm not particularly fond of it, but it is the most well-supported OS at this point by third-parties. It certainly works well enough on my machine and it takes care of everything I do (Internet, music listening and TV watching, mostly).

Kaiten Mar 2, 2006 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueMikey
Just so everyone knows, this is how not to make a post in this thread. Say something a little more to accompany your response. Perhaps we could add a poll for people who don't want to say anything.

I use Windows XP (SP2, of course). I'm not particularly fond of it, but it is the most well-supported OS at this point by third-parties. It certainly works well enough on my machine and it takes care of everything I do (Internet, music listening and TV watching, mostly).

If someone could make a port of Win98SE (and Win2k/XP) that would run well under Linux, I'd finally be able to give my illegitimate copy of Win XP the boot, but alas no one has a good system of running ALL DOS/Win9x/WinNT programs under Linux for me (VMWare is too damn slow).