Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Japanese trash-talk the MacBookAir

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:11 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 03:11 PM #1 of 34
The Japanese trash-talk the MacBookAir

Quote:
Japanese engineers were quick to pour scorn on the MacBook Air. This critique comes courtesy of Nikkei Electronics, a major Japanese electronics monthly, which did a teardown of the Air.

Here's the seeming challenge: The Japanese PC industry must come up with a reason why their own PC suppliers--NEC, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu--don't have a riveting 0.75-inch-thin notebook design on the market in the U.S. The answer, for them, is simple: a Japanese company would never approve of the design...
original article here

So, I'll give you the run down how I think about it, as a point from both American and Japanese consumer stand point:

Are the Japanese media prejudice / too critical against foreign manufactures?
You betcha.

Are the Japanese manufactures/ technicians snobbish elitists?
Absolutely.

Do they have the right to be?
They like to compare their shit to how much *other* foreign-made products are inferior, so long as they can back it up, I guess you can't put that against them for being cocky about it. (And I'll be honest with you, where size matters, they have no grounds to be cocky about, so I guess it's just compensation by at least trying to make man-made things better than everyone else.)

Anyother questions spawning from reading this article, feel free to ask.

oh, and one last thing:
So why hasn't the manufactures already come up with something better than or as good as the MacBook Air?
When they've got cell phones better and smaller than the iPhone (with twice as much battery life) that has just as good as capability as a small laptop notebook, why would they bother?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:18 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 03:18 PM #2 of 34
The Macbook Air looks spiffy, but its WAY too expensive. Even if its a new product.

Still, I figured the Japanese would like the Macs more because Apple is a competitor with Microsoft, who is of course tanking in Japan with the 360. Oh well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:20 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 03:20 PM #3 of 34
They just heavily support their own locally-made goods and whatnot. And speaking of "they can back their shit up", look at Japanese-brand cars.

Just a strong pride with their own goods, I suppose.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:22 PM #4 of 34
Quote:
So why hasn't the manufactures already come up with something better than or as good as the MacBook Air?
When they've got cell phones better and smaller than the iPhone (with twice as much battery life) that has just as good as capability as a small laptop notebook, why would they bother?
That's a retarded argument. I mean it's swell that phones have similar capabilities to laptops but that's not the point, that's just fluff and fun. I mean you can draw similar comparisons to laptops vs desktops but the argument is still spurious.

also it sounds like those japanese companies are just butthurt, business as usual.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:44 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 04:44 PM #5 of 34
I have a tiny Sony Vaio TX model that, while not quite as small and light as the Macbook Air, is still very tiny, light, and functional. And it has a built-in dvd burner. The optical drive issue is a "to each his own", but I like the flexibility of having one. So the Japs aren't exactly slacking too terribly in the tiny laptop department. I still kind of want one of these tiny Macs though.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:08 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 07:38 PM #6 of 34
The Japanese are stereotyped as advanced techies, maybe they want to protect that image or something.

Most amazing jew boots
Shorty

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:27 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 04:27 PM #7 of 34
That's a retarded argument. I mean it's swell that phones have similar capabilities to laptops but that's not the point, that's just fluff and fun. I mean you can draw similar comparisons to laptops vs desktops but the argument is still spurious.
True. I'm comparing apples and oranges a little bit, but my point is that most computing needs for people in Japan are already taken care of by their cell phone services. And if you're able to watch live television news while on your commute in the subway train...I mean compare that to your cell phone in the States; I probably wouldn't need a laptop either if my phone can do that on top of all the web stuff it already has (that and also if I wasn't so addicted to online gaming as well).

Quote:
also it sounds like those japanese companies are just butthurt, business as usual.
This is also true and I have no arguments against it. Like I said, they are a bunch of elitist techno-geeks and if it hurts their pride they got beat, that's just what it is. Only problem is that the high-end spiffy laptop isn't quite as marketable in Japan as it is here. Give them a few years, I'm sure they can come up with something better like they promised.

Most amazing jew boots
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 06:58 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 03:58 PM 1 #8 of 34
I don't think any of us have sufficient knowledge of the Japanese technology press to understand why they are panning the MacBook Air.

Hell, plenty of people in the US technology press, including Walt "Steve Jobs Touched Me There" Mossberg, have panned it. Nobody's been able to come up with a convincing answer for that either.

Believe me, as someone who makes his money from the tiny scraps that Apple throws to third party developers, the whole Air backlash thing is baffling everyone.

(I can posts links to a bunch of reviews, but I doubt anyone would care)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Yamigarasu
Ace P.I.

Member 22229

Level 7.28

Apr 2007

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:12 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 09:12 PM #9 of 34
Why didn't the japanese made something similar to macbook air?
Maybe because they don't need a computer as thin as a sheet of paper?

C'mon guys, no matter how AWESOME it is, it still is an extremelly overpriced commom notebook.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:24 PM 1 #10 of 34
Because they don't need to. Anything already on the market right now is better than that piece of shit.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:41 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 05:41 PM #11 of 34
Quote:
a Japanese company would never approve of the design...

And yet a design like the Playstation 3 was approved.

ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 07:55 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 04:55 PM #12 of 34
Christ trying to talk about technology on Gamingforce is impossible.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 08:13 PM #13 of 34
What's so good about a piece of shit laptop that breaks when you drop it 2 meters?

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 08:17 PM 1 #14 of 34
Christ trying to talk about anything on Gamingforce is impossible.
fixed for you good sir

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 21, 2008, 08:32 PM Local time: Feb 21, 2008, 05:32 PM #15 of 34
Where the hell do you people come from? Did you read anything I wrote? A 2 meter drop would have a significant chance of breaking most other subnotebooks, hell, most computers that aren't specially hardened against drops.

This also flies blatantly in the face of what numerous Air owners have written, which is that the case feels sturdier than the case on the MacBook Pro (perhaps because it's curvy? No optical drive? Unclear).

How are you people capable of using a computer, much less breathing? Please exit.

FELIPE NO
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:09 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 05:09 PM 2 1 #16 of 34
Them crazy Japanese engineers should stop bitching about it and should just start making them Gundams.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:56 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 05:56 PM #17 of 34
Whatever, it's not like most Apple/Mac fans aren't just as obnoxiously cocky, snobbish and elitist as you'd have us believe these Japanese engineers are.

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:19 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 10:19 AM #18 of 34
God help us if Apple ever does achieve true acceptance in Japan. We'll have a bunch of Japanese people running around from 2chan posting on the glories of Mac >_> In beautiful ASCII art nonetheless.

It's just about protecting domestic interests in my view. Sure, there might be a bias slightly towards Japanese made products, probably because there is subtle pressure to not lose anymore ground in the Japanese economy to more foreign imports. This probably has had a hand in the slow taking of the 360 there and probably why I didn't see masses of people with an IPod in Japan (but Sony Minidiscs? Porque?).

The question now is if you think the article is unfair. True, you wouldn't ask your direct competitor for their "unbiased" opinion on your product. So, from that standpoint, the article might not be all that great. (This just in, Microsoft says Apple products give you cancer! Eventually...)

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Shorty

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:55 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 10:55 AM #19 of 34
Whatever, it's not like most Apple/Mac fans aren't just as obnoxiously cocky, snobbish and elitist as you'd have us believe these Japanese engineers are.

lol. This is also very true.

Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Feb 22, 2008, 03:05 PM 1 #20 of 34
You just can't win, though. In the eyes of everyone on the net you're either a snobby, overpaid, collar-proppin' elitist for using a Mac, or a bandwagon-jumpin', know-nuthin', mainstream corporate sponsor for using a PC. You could just use Linux and plead the middle ground, but then people accuse you of trying too hard to be different. My advice: use Amiga - it's the only way.

Buuuuuut when it comes to the Air I have two big hang-ups: The price ($1,800 retail US, which in no way conforms to its performance), and that it has almost no user-replaceable parts. The entire thing from the hard drive to the sound card is integrated, which means the few pieces you can actually replace or upgrade would cost another arm and a leg. It looks awesome, and I can say that I've seriously considered other size gimmicky things like the Mac Mini in the past, but I just can't pull myself from these two drawbacks. Japan's got an image to maintain with their own companies, and a very competitive PC market that would be very difficult for something like Mac, let alone the Airbook, to enter.

ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:01 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 01:01 PM #21 of 34
Buuuuuut when it comes to the Air I have two big hang-ups: The price ($1,800 retail US, which in no way conforms to its performance),
You are a retard. There are other similar products from Lenovo (Thinkpad X300) and Sony (Vaio TZ). This is not a gaming rig. You sacrifice processor performance for portability and battery life. Stop talking out of your ass.

and that it has almost no user-replaceable parts.
Neither does the iPod. Neither do many of the other Macs that Apple sells. If you're shocked that Apple makes a machine you can't open up and swap parts, then you are one of the most ignorant people on the internet. Let me guess, next you're going to be shocked to learn that we didn't actually find WMD in Iraq.

For the interested, here's an article about the X300 that includes comparisons to the Air and Vaio TZ, among others. Via Engadget.

Last edited by ramoth; Feb 22, 2008 at 04:04 PM.
Nall
Robotic Operating Buddy

Member 24431

Level 13.42

Sep 2007

Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:04 PM #22 of 34
Woah, woah, hold the phone Rama-lama! I'm not trying to trying to launch a Mac Attack, I 'm just telling you why I won't personally buy one. I know what Apple's all about when it comes to hardware integration, and I realize the market appeal for something like this, but I'm just saying why I won't buy one. It's a matter of preference - do I want easy of use and simplistic design (Mac) or do I want expandability (Somethin' else). Truth be known most laptops have simialar setups, but then again I'm not really a laptop kind of guy, so it kind of goes against my likes anyway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:34 PM 4 #23 of 34
So, I read the original article, and all I can say is, wow Shorty, you did a shit-ass job, along with CNet, summarizing what the article is even talking about.

The real point of the original article was a criticism that Apple does not, and in the case of the Air, did not, do any means of cost reduction in the production of the Macbook Air. What they're saying is that Apple could have done the internal design better, using much better ways of holding it together, with less screws, and could have reduced the cost of production, which (in traditional theory,) means a lower cost to the consumer.

Not to mention the CNet article is terrible because it's basically an opinion article of an opinion article, and he goes wherever the fuck with it because he is, at the very least, a moron.

Sure, some of it may be "Japanese think they're so superior," but I bet there are engineers in every country who can agree with their ideas.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Little Shithead; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2008, 02:05 AM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 11:05 PM #24 of 34
Merv, you read the original article? What the fuck is wrong with you.

How ya doing, buddy?
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2008, 04:01 AM Local time: Feb 23, 2008, 08:01 PM #25 of 34
Most people criticise the Air purely beacuse of the fact that it's an Apple product.
Like me.

And I reckon the majority of people cricitise Apple products from the same viewpoint as these Japanese engineers - that Apple aren't doing enough to reduce the cost to the consumer.

But then again, why would they need to?
When you've got loyal fanatics eager to hack off their arms and legs to get funky with 'new technology', then Apple don't need to do a damn thing.
As long as they can make it sexy (and in effect make the USERS look sexy), then everyone's happy.
Customer service? WHATS THAT?

Read this. There's one blogger who won't sleep with anyone unless they're a mac user!!

You can probably tell, I'm an avid mac-user hater.
I don't mind macs, but I hate the people.

UPDATE:

MY FRIEND JUST TOLD ME HE HAS A MACBOOK AIR AND IS BEING A SMUG BITCH ABOUT IT.

www.Pietriots.com
Click to receive beer

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > The Japanese trash-talk the MacBookAir