Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Sunsoft's wonderful team of NES composers

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:17 PM #1 of 7
Sunsoft's wonderful team of NES composers

I was thinking about how pleasing to the ear and ahead of the times the music in Batman and Journey to Silius is, and I noticed that Nobuyuki Hara and Naomi Kodaka worked on both games. This got me researching what else they did, and I found out that they worked on a lot of SunSoft's NES titles (Kodaka moreso than Hara). Thanks to this list, I found out about which particular titles they composed for, as well as some other composers who worked for SunSoft.

These guys really knew how to use the NES' sound capabilities to their limits. Here's a list of Sunsoft titles and their composers (going by the NES Music Authors List):

Batman: Kodaka, Nobuyuki
Blaster Master: Kodaka, Marumo
Journey to Silius: Kodaka, Nobuyuki, Marumo, About SS, MaboChan
Gremlins 2: Kodaka, Nobuyuki, About SS
Super Spy Hunter: Kodaka, Nobuyuki, Seya

Hebereke (JP)/Euforia (EU): Kodaka, Nobuyuki, About SS
Nantettatte Baseball (JP):
Shanghai (JP): Kodaka, Marumo

If anyone knows of more games these composers worked on, please let me know. I'll be looking for more credits info and hopefully adding to this list.

Now I'm off to track down and listen to .nsfs for some of the more obscure titles on this list and then convert the good stuff (hopefully all of it!) to .mp3s.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Jul 5, 2006 at 08:38 PM.
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 08:22 PM #2 of 7
Journey to Silius wasn't much of a game but I remember that it had some fine music in it (especially for the NES). Same with Blaster Music (which was ahead of its time, both game and music).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 5, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 07:17 PM #3 of 7
Hebereke/Uforia has some good music (well, I like it, anyway ). In addition to the NSF, there's actually an OST for it (tracks 31-43).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 01:26 AM Local time: Jul 5, 2006, 10:26 PM #4 of 7
I'm only familiar with Batman, Blaster Master, and Journey to Silius (sup BSC 2006), but they have great music. I'll have to check out the rest of the stuff.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:09 AM #5 of 7
I remember playing Gremlins 2 a *long* time ago and liking it. Tough game but I don't recall the music.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kami
Clover

Member 9374

Level 1.00

Jul 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Jul 6, 2006, 11:03 AM #6 of 7
Note that for example Journey to Silius used another Soundchip than the standart 2A03. So of course it sound better

Some more credits:

Kodaka (Naomi Kodaka)
SFC Albert Odyssey
SFC Albert Odyssey 2
SS LEGEND OF EL DEAN
MD Super Fantasy Zone
MD/GB Batman
SFC Sugoi Hebereke

About SS / Seya (Shinichi Seya)
MD Batman (Soundprogram)
GB Tripworld (Soundprogram)
AC Beirut
AC Tafutafu
MD Super Fantasy Zone
GB Bomber King Scenario 2 (Soundprogram)
GB Batman
MD TEL・TEL Stadium

for the others i did not find out the real names :/ which i need to investigate. Maybe i'm more lucky when i'm at home

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 07:22 AM #7 of 7
I also like the Sunsoft's Sound Team a lot, especially for the NES years. They were able to put out nice compositions with an heavy/rich sound like few were able to achieve. Overall, I prefer Konami, but Sunsoft isn't too far behind.

I know about two other titles they worked on:

"Batman: Return of the Joker" [NES] (N. Kodaka, Nobuyuki Hara, About .S.S.)
"Blaster Master: Blasting Again" [PSX] (Naoki Kodaka)

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Sunsoft's wonderful team of NES composers