Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Considering upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1 speakers

Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 04:34 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 02:34 PM #1 of 14
Considering upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1 speakers

I mainly want to do this so I can take full advantage of my x-fi soundcard in games, and I heard that you need at least 5.1 to fully experience the sound capabilities of games (like battlefield). I currently have logitech x-230's (2.1) and I'm thinking of upgrading to logitech x-530's (they have a good price for relatively good quality).

How much of a difference does 5.1 make in terms of games? What about dvd's? For music, will it play through 2 speakers and subwoofer, or all of the speakers plus the subwoofer (if so, how does it sound? better or worse?)? Is it worth it?

Also, the only thing I can put all the speakers on is a desk, and I have room for 2 speakers on each side of my monitor (for a total of 4 speakers on the desk, with 2 next to each other on the left and right side, if that makes sense), but the only place that I can think of putting the center channel speaker is on the monitor. Is this ok or will it cause problems (and does it necessarily have to be in the center)? Is there anywhere else to put it? And will sound quality be affected if I put the two speakers that go on the right next to each other?

Sorry for all the questions, but if possible, could you please answer ALL of them, because I want to make sure I don't waste my money.

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 06:37 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 03:37 PM #2 of 14
5.1 systems are really cheap right now, so I'd go for it. I was thinking the same thing about a year ago, and it was worth every penny.

Why can't you put the speakers behind you? It won't sound very good if you have 5 speakers up front. Also, the center speaker is supposed to go on the monitor. Most center speakers have a stand that clasps onto the front edge of the monitor.

Overall, you get a much nicer sound, becuase the sound is all around you. In games, you'll most likely have 6 (5) dedicated channels of audio, so if an enemy sneaks up behind you on the right, it will come out of the rear right speakers and bleed into the other ones as it's position (or your position) changes. If you are listening to music, or a source that only has 2 dedicated channels, then the rear and center speakers will play the same audio (the rear speakers playing L and R, with the center speaker mixing the two channels together.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:34 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 05:34 PM #3 of 14
Are the left and right surround speakers supposed to go behind me? Since I only have a desk, how could I do that? Would they still work fine if I put them as far left and right as possible (like at the near edge of the desk)?

And would the center channel speaker cause magnetic disturbance to the monitor (do you know if the center channel logitech x-530's attach to the monitor, because no center channel speakers I've ever seen look like they have something that attaches to it). And one more thing- does attack the center channel speaker to the monitor shake it or change the way it sounds because of the different surface it's on?

Thanks.

Most amazing jew boots
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 07:47 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 04:47 PM #4 of 14
Originally Posted by Hush and Cool
Are the left and right surround speakers supposed to go behind me?
Erm... yes. It's surround sound.

Since I only have a desk, how could I do that? Would they still work fine if I put them as far left and right as possible (like at the near edge of the desk)?
You could put them on more desks, or you can hang them on the wall (most come with a slot for a nail or something).

And would the center channel speaker cause magnetic disturbance to the monitor[?]
Most likely not, as they are shielded.

[Do] you know if the center channel logitech x-530's attach to the monitor, because no center channel speakers I've ever seen look like they have something that attaches to it).
I don't know. And the attachment isn't really an attachment, it's just a stand that curls over the edge of any surface.

And one more thing- does attack the center channel speaker to the monitor shake it or change the way it sounds because of the different surface it's on?
Not unless you've got a 200-watt sub ontop of your monitor.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 06:43 PM #5 of 14
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/soundcard/sound3.shtml

The third picture (the one with the surround/rear speakers on the same table) is the best I can do. Will this still give me a surround sound feeling or will it just produce an awkward sound?

I was speaking idiomatically.
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 04:08 PM Local time: Jun 3, 2006, 02:08 PM #6 of 14
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/soundcard/sound3.shtml

The third picture (the one with the surround/rear speakers on the same table) is the best I can do. Will this still give me a surround sound feeling or will it just produce an awkward sound?
It certainly won't be surround. What's preventing you from buying a couple stands, or even improvising some with home-brew materials? You have no other furniture or objects in the room in appropriate places that you could set the two surround channels?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:49 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 10:49 PM #7 of 14
I recently got the speakers, and I want to use extension cords to place the surround speakers behind me. However, the surround audio jack is connected to the right speaker and that goes into the audio jack in the computer. The actual surround speakers are connected to the subwoofer, but they aren't connected through an audio jack. They use this relatively thick cord that has a blunt needle sort of plug that goes into the subwoofer. The problem is, all the extension cords I've seen so far are for audio jacks only; are there any for those specific cables (I think they're called rca cables)? If so, could you give me a link to some good ones? Will the extension cable affect quality?

Also, for videogames, if they are placed about 12 feet behind me, will it make a difference in quality? Are they made to be closer?

And one more thing, I had my monitor off for a while because I wasn't using the computer, and the center speaker was on top of the monitor. When I turned it on, the screen was shaking. The speakers are supposed to be shielded, right? Is this normal? Will this happen again if I put the center speaker in the back of the monitor?

Thanks.

FELIPE NO
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 07:53 AM #8 of 14
For cables of any kind I usually check Radio Shack. Not sure if you can get them cheaper somewhere else, but it's a start.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:11 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 07:11 AM #9 of 14
What are those cables called?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 09:18 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 08:18 AM #10 of 14
Speaker cable. With RCA ends. Ask for this at radio shack, and I'm sure they can help. Make sure to ask for EXTENSION cable.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 04:06 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 02:06 PM #11 of 14
I have 2 more questions- For the logitech x-530 subwoofer, what direction should it be facing you? Should the hole (with the logo underneath it) be facing you or the silver circle?

Also, what is the best place to put the subwoofer? I have under the back of my desk right now, about a foot away from my feet. Would you recommend I put it elsewhere?

Most amazing jew boots
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 02:27 AM #12 of 14
The direction it faces doesn't make a huge difference. If it is a ported box, then you'd rather the air not blow directly onto anything.

Relatively weak subwoofers are usually best about 1' from the wall in a corner, the model you have falls under this category. Strong subwoofers are sometimes best to keep away from the walls otherwise the sound gets too 'boomy'.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 04:15 AM Local time: Jun 10, 2006, 02:15 AM #13 of 14
Alright, I have everything sorted out with the extension cables now. I just have two more questions: the cables run across the floor against the walls, so the metal parts of the place where the extension cable meets the normal cable is exposed (by metal parts i mean the male connector for the original speak cable, and the female connector for the extension cable). Since the metal is exposed and it is on the floor, will any damage be done to it (like from dust collecting on it)?

And also, is it harmful to place your subwoofer next to your pc tower case? Will the shaking cause any problems? How far away should you place it from the case in general?

Thanks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Darkelf
used to be XenoMorph

Member 1510

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:30 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 06:30 PM #14 of 14
I would not allow the subwoofer to be put next to the pc case, it wouldn't be good for the internal components especially the hard disk.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Considering upgrading from 2.1 to 5.1 speakers