Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Virtual Console Discussion Thread

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:58 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 03:58 AM #1 of 27
Virtual Console Discussion Thread

There seems to be a VC release list, but no actual thread to discuss these kind of games. So I'm here to save the day!

What games did you get, which ones are you looking forward to, what games were horrible mistakes to release, etc. etc.?

For myself, I've got Super Mario 64, the Legend of Zelda, Super Castlevania IV and Super Mario Bros.

Zelda is still kinda sucky, even when I play it on my Wii. I just can't get into it. The other games however, are great. Mainly Super Castlevania IV, which I've never played before, is a real blast. I'm currently trying to pick between either R-type or Gunstar Heroes. Who can help me out here?

edit: could a mod/admin please change the title, so it says "Thread"?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:42 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 04:42 PM #2 of 27
So far I got Gunstar Heroes, R-Type, Super Castlevania IV and Super Mario Bros.

I've played Super Mario Bros. the most merely for nostalgic value. I just can't seem to get into Castlevania IV using the GC controller. Maybe i'll give it more playtime when I get a classic controller.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:45 PM #3 of 27
I wonder if they will get any other systems. I wouldn't mind seeing a GG Virtual console or maybe a GBC Virtual Console

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:15 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 10:15 PM #4 of 27
F-Zero, Solomon's Key, Super Mario Bros., Golden Axe, Ecco, Ice Hockey, oh and some game called "Zelda". *throws it to the side*

Once I get my credit card statement, I guess I'll get Castlevania and Gunstar. I really can't wait for some Gradius and Contra! I'm looking forward to seeing some of these compatible with online play, but considering how long it's taking for the Wii games to be online... :\

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:36 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2007, 02:36 PM #5 of 27
Originally Posted by Grawl

edit: could a mod/admin please change the title, so it says "Thread"?
Nope!

I've downloaded Donkey Kong Country, F-Zero, Bomberman '93, Bonk's Adventure, Super Star Soldier and Alien Crush. I'm holding off on more because I'm still not sure what's doin' with my Wii at this point in time. Kinda wish I'd gotten something else instead of SSS though. Like an ice cream made of broken glass.

Alien Crush is bloody addictive even with its massive selection of a single table. Whatever happened to Super Probotector for the PAL VC? It was meant to come out weeks ago and vanished. ;_; Looking forward to PILOTWINGS 64. PILOTWINGS 64 NINTENDO. PILOTWINGS. 64. Come aaawwwwwn already. Oh yeah get Gunstar Heroes. Get it so good!

How ya doing, buddy?
Niczo
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 17454

Level 3.31

Dec 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 01:28 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 08:28 PM #6 of 27
I'm still trying to get my hands on a Wii, and I'm hoping to see Super Mario World and Legend of Zelda: A link to the past released outside Japan ASAP. I've been playing some Bomberman '93 at my friends house, and I think it has aged with dignity, better party games are hard to find.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 04:12 PM #7 of 27
Well once I get my Wii I wont be downloading anything that I can't emulate or play online. I'm perfectly happy with current emulation standards and not shelling out money to Nintendo for the same stuff.

I'd like to know if Nintendo has or has plans to possibly release added content for some of these games. If that happend then I'd consider buying some VC stuff.

FELIPE NO
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 04:56 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 02:56 PM #8 of 27
US gets screwed in release AGAIN!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 05:09 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 12:09 AM #9 of 27
US gets screwed in release AGAIN!
Yea man, totally. They were the first to get the Wii, and all.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 05:46 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 03:46 PM #10 of 27
I mean come on! All we have is like...4...FOUR SNES Games!

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:25 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 04:25 AM #11 of 27
Well once I get my Wii I wont be downloading anything that I can't emulate or play online. I'm perfectly happy with current emulation standards and not shelling out money to Nintendo for the same stuff.
And what standards are these?...None? Go boast about all the roms you've downloaded. I think bragging about your obvious lack of participation in the thread isn't quite necessary. You do know that roms are for backup purposes for games you already have, right?

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:42 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 07:42 PM #12 of 27
For anyone who's curious. If you delete a Virtual Console game, like I did, you can re-download it for free.

Most amazing jew boots
Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 01:19 PM #13 of 27
And what standards are these?...None? Go boast about all the roms you've downloaded. I think bragging about your obvious lack of participation in the thread isn't quite necessary. You do know that roms are for backup purposes for games you already have, right?
The standards are mine. Furthermore stop reading shit into people's posts. I didn't brag about anything. It would be stupid of me to buy something I can play just as well for free. Moreover this is precisely the thread to talk about it as it's a *Virtual Console Discussion Thread* and thus the place to discuss descisions on whether or not to buy VC games. I know exactly what roms are for and I have and will continue to do what I've done for over a decade.

Lastly I find it interesting how you just ignored the last part of the post. Does Nintendo have plans to add content to already existing games?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:30 PM #14 of 27
Yes, they have the option to update VC games. For those games there will be an update button next to their game on the shopping channel for games they've added things to that you've already bought. What they plan to update I can't really be definite about. Perhaps online multiplayer, perhaps new levels, perhaps new powerups... they could possibly add anything with these updates. Perhaps it's as simple as putting your highscore or game completion time in a game online. However, to answer your question yes, with the update possibility they do plan to add content to games. I'm not sure how they'll accomplish it though since some people want the original games as well. However they do it will most likely be optional. The real question is when they'll start doing it and with what games.

What I'm more concerned about right now is the pathetic releases they've had as of late. Japan had Super Mario World and The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past at launch. I think that more than a month into the life of Wii it's unacceptable that we don't have these games yet. I'm glad that Konami and Capcom have released some games but I'd like to see more third party releases AND I'd like these not to be an excuse for Nintendo to not release their own games for a certain console. The SNES and N64 sections are laughable. I'm just amazed at how well Sega and Hudson/NEC are owning my Wii points. I expected the SNES to take my Wii Points and make them its bitch, but no, apparently Nintendo doesn't care about its golden era of gaming.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:18 PM #15 of 27
What is the reason for the discrepency in releases for each region? I could understand if we were dealing with physical merchandise where you have to estimate supply and demand, but it's as simple as uploading a game and letting people download it. I doubt Nintendo would notice the server space.

FELIPE NO
Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:28 PM #16 of 27
Not quite that simple. I think a big part of it is creating the in-game manual that you can access when pressing the home button on the wii controller or classic controller. Those things are pretty extensive and are basically the equivalent or greater than an actual game manual or a mini-guide. That and putting the games through ESRB for ratings for their parental control system is what is probably creating the delays. The only reason Japan is getting their VC games faster is that their rating system is probably faster than our ESRB and they've got a better in-game manual creating team or they started on making the in-game manuals or submitted the games to their rating system earlier. It could be any combination of those things. I'm probably not far off.

If not any of those then Nintendo is just a bunch of dickweeds that need to get their act together or at least get a fucking priority list. I mean some of these NES games are complete shit and don't deserve this Monday throne over give-me titles like Super Mario World and A Link to the Past. Okay, Nintendo has got to get its act together in that regard. No excuse there. Next Monday better fucking not be a NES selection from the shit vault and Sega dominated Monday. It's getting old.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Hotobu
Good Chocobo

Member 5982

Level 14.90

Apr 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 06:43 PM #17 of 27
The thread creator may want to add this link to the first post.

Also on the note of the releases what you're saying probably is the explanation for the delayed releases. I'd lean more towards the ESRB than the manual explanation, but either or both are equally feasable.

You said the manual was in some cases much more extensive than the original instruction booklet. Is this to say that you're given hints above and beyond what would be expected? I'm picturing a "Navi-type" deal where if you need help and pull up the manual you get more info than you may want, or people using the manual as a crutch all the way through the game.

Last edited by Hotobu; Jan 9, 2007 at 06:49 PM.
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 09:52 PM #18 of 27
European gamers are getting Super Mario World, Mario Kart 64, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Q1 2007. So...when's the US getting some love?

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:27 PM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 08:27 PM #19 of 27
European gamers are getting Super Mario World, Mario Kart 64, and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Q1 2007. So...when's the US getting some love?
Who knows...You'd think that most of Nintendo's focus would be on NA since its a large, and i do mean LARGE market here but eh...

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:09 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 12:09 AM #20 of 27
The standards are mine. Furthermore stop reading shit into people's posts. I didn't brag about anything. It would be stupid of me to buy something I can play just as well for free. Moreover this is precisely the thread to talk about it as it's a *Virtual Console Discussion Thread* and thus the place to discuss descisions on whether or not to buy VC games. I know exactly what roms are for and I have and will continue to do what I've done for over a decade.
There's a difference between not wanting a game because you don't find it entertaining...and not wanting a game because you refuse to pay for it.

Lastly I find it interesting how you just ignored the last part of the post. Does Nintendo have plans to add content to already existing games?
I didn't know the answer, so I didn't need to cite it.

In regards to the cost of points themselves....I'd like to see maybe a membership, where you pay monthly simply for a number of titles, then choose them. Even if Mario 64 is 1000 points and Contra is 500, I'll take Contra.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
J-Man
Taller than a tree

Member 102

Level 23.11

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 AM Local time: Jan 9, 2007, 10:19 PM #21 of 27
They could have at least dished out Rock 'n Roll Racing. Good game or goodest game?

I was speaking idiomatically.
deadally
Chocobo

Member 506

Level 14.33

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:10 AM #22 of 27
That would be Blizzard's department, wouldn't it?

Returned
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:31 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2007, 03:31 AM #23 of 27
Who knows...You'd think that most of Nintendo's focus would be on NA since its a large, and i do mean LARGE market here but eh...
The european market (UK, Aus & NZ) gets screwed over with almost every PS2 title, every xbox title, and there was months before some Gamecube titles were released here. Twilight Princess comes to mind here, as does Harvest Moon.

The reason behind this is because they somehow need to translate a game into 4 different languages before releasing it here. Which is completely unnecessary, because nobody in Aus/NZ speaks italian/dutch/etc, yet they're still equally delayed for as long as possible. We get games last.

But hey, check this out. Good VC games are coming to the european Wii before america. Considering you guys 1) are capable of using the Freeloader to play foreign games already and 2) received the Wii a month before it was released here, I'd say it evens out.

Something good occurs for the european gaming industry, america bitches.

FELIPE NO
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:37 AM #24 of 27
You know, I think it wouldn't be half a big a deal if you crazy Europeans and Down-under'ers didn't use PAL. At least for Down-under'ers if it they used NTSC they could just slap a new rating sticker on it and ship the US version but noooooo you guys had to be fucking different. I blame PAL completely for your abandonment acid reflux disease.

Really, I'd just say that for once the Europeans have a capable staff. What would make me lol is if they're doing our English VC manuals and the reason why we get our stuff after you guys is that our VC teams have to take the time to parse their English manuals out of the multi-language manuals or some shit.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:51 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 04:51 PM #25 of 27
The european market (UK, Aus & NZ) gets screwed over with almost every PS2 title, every xbox title, and there was months before some Gamecube titles were released here. Twilight Princess comes to mind here, as does Harvest Moon.

The reason behind this is because they somehow need to translate a game into 4 different languages before releasing it here. Which is completely unnecessary, because nobody in Aus/NZ speaks italian/dutch/etc, yet they're still equally delayed for as long as possible. We get games last.

But hey, check this out. Good VC games are coming to the european Wii before america. Considering you guys 1) are capable of using the Freeloader to play foreign games already and 2) received the Wii a month before it was released here, I'd say it evens out.

Something good occurs for the european gaming industry, america bitches.
FYI, from what I've read Freeloader doesn't work on Wii..and it wouldn't have anything to do with VC

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Virtual Console Discussion Thread