Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

US/Canadian college for an International student?

Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:31 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2006, 03:31 PM #1 of 22
US/Canadian college for an International student?

(mods move this to wherever if you need to as I have no idea where to put it)

Right ok, long story short. I'm an English guy living in Spain and I've just finished English style education, I'll have 4 A Levels (GCE A Levels) by August when I finally get my results, and I already have 5 AS Levels (A's and Bs with one D but I'm retaking that D subject) (AS is half of an A Level) and 11 GCSEs (ranging from A's to B's with one C and one A*). Apparently due to the A Levels I'm taking, I get something called an "AICE Diploma", and if I get just all B's on all 4 of my A Levels, I'll pass with a Distinction, apparently. >_>

The family income isn't massively huge though, we get by.

I am taking a gap year. I am also gonna try and get a job this year, starting to look today.

The bottom line is this.

I've been looking at college in Spain (I'd prefer to have it in my own language and there aren't much GOOD English uni's about). I've also been looking at college in Britain, although I don't greately relish the idea of going back there too well just yet.

I'm deciding to perhaps aim my sights a little too fucking high and think about the USA and/or Canada. Any good (but not too Harvard/Yale SUPER HARD TO GET INTO LIEK TEH HARD TOFFEE) colleges? I've had the University of Toronto suggested by a Canadian guy somewhere.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I want to study Design (graphic design, website design, you know, sorta computer based design and shit) and/or Film, with perhaps a side-plate of Business as well. I'm not sure how the college system works over there, I've heard you "major" in subjects and kinda minor in others. How does that work? All that happens over here is that you take so and so subjects (like I have above) and do just that until HUEG EXAM at end of the year.

Anyway, before I even begin looking for colleges (expect a follow-up thread in a while) would there be any point in even thinking about it? Would I have to take some other sorta entrance exam alongside already having all the GCSEs and AS Levels and A Levels and all that? Scholarships?

Also any idea on converting all that A Level and GCSE and AS Level shit to a GPA so I can have a rough idea of what I'm looking at?

So yeah kthx for any info. >_>

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Xexxhoshi; Jul 11, 2006 at 09:50 AM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:35 AM #2 of 22
I don't know about all those certifications, but University of Toronto definitely has the prestige factor for Canadian universities. Although, University of Waterloo is by far the most prestigious Canadian university in my opinion.

My thoughts were that McGill is good for law, McMaster is excellent for Health Sciences, Brock is for athletics, and Waterloo is for computers and business. Correct if my perceptions are wrong though.

A major is just the program you're specializing in (eg. Graphic Design), whille a Minor would be just a thing on the side (eg. if most of your electives are something like, Linguistics, then you might be eligible for a Linguistics minor.)

How ya doing, buddy?
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:50 AM #3 of 22
Originally Posted by XSO
I've been looking at college in Spain (I'd prefer to have it in my own language and there aren't much GOOD English uni's about). I've also been looking at college in Britain, although I don't greately relish the idea of going back there too well just yet.

I'm deciding to perhaps aim my sights a little too fucking high and think about the USA and/or Canada. Any good (but not too Harvard/Yale SUPER HARD TO GET INTO LIEK TEH HARD TOFFEE) colleges? I've had the University of Toronto suggested by a Canadian guy somewhere.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I want to study Design (graphic design, website design, you know, sorta computer based design and shit) and/or Film, with perhaps a side-plate of Business as well. I'm not sure how the college system works over there, I've heard you "major" in subjects and kinda minor in others. How does that work? All that happens over here is that you take so and so subjects (like I have above) and do just that until HUEG EXAM at end of the year.

Anyway, before I even begin looking for colleges (expect a follow-up thread in a while) would there be any point in even thinking about it? Would I have to take some other sorta entrance exam alongside already having all the GCSEs and AS Levels and A Levels and all that? Scholarships?

Also any idea on converting all that A Level and GCSE and AS Level shit to a GPA so I can have a rough idea of what I'm looking at?

So yeah kthx for any info. >_>
British + Film =

One of the best film schools I've heard of where you can learn business would have to be University of Southern California .

Spoiler:
They are located in Los Angeles (with some schools in other cities) where they get famous film stars (directors, actors, producers, etc.) to sometimes guest lecture and many of today's famous individuals in the media have graduated from this school (it's not on the site anymore, but I found another list): Famous Alumni Link

They also have what looks like an in-depth graudate field. There is a form you can print out on-line for financial aid help. I was looking into this school because my college is one of the most work-heavy liberal arts colleges (and a liberal arts degree isn't as good as a practical degree from a University). Here is a list of major and minor classes for undergraduates: Undergraduate Majors and Minors

There's also a link to the International Student page: International Link . And if you pick which major you want you can look up some of the estimated costs, but there is financial aid you can apply for if you're in a low income range. I have a buddy that attends USC Davis if you want more information about USC.

Actually, I'm stuck in a similar situation and I'm traveling to the University of Sunderland for a semester because my school doesn't have Film/Media Communication. I think the only big test required to get into a University would be either the S.A.T. or A.C.T., but you may want to contact potential colleges to see what they want (or if they need for you to take either test since some have made it optional).

About the GPA, all I know is that my school takes the classes abroad and marks it as either a "pass" or "fail" instead of giving it a letter grade, so it doesn't hurt or help the existing GPA. However, it may work differently for other colleges.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog

Last edited by Visavi; Jul 11, 2006 at 10:52 AM.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:17 PM 1 #4 of 22
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Although, University of Waterloo is by far the most prestigious Canadian university in my opinion.
The last time I checked, that honour belonged to McGill. But anyway...

The top English universities in Canada are McGill University (www.mcgill.ca), the University of Toronto, the University of British Columbia and the University of Waterloo. Of those, McGill and Toronto have the most international recognition. Earning a degree from either of those schools, especially McGill, is something that will bring you a lot of respect internationally. McGill and Toronto are basically the Harvard and Yale of Canada.

I attend McGill and I would recommend it, however I do not know if there is any degree focusing on film. I would recommend that you browse around the university website to find out. What I can tell you is that McGill has a very large international student population due to its excellent reputation around the globe.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Mucknuggle; Jul 11, 2006 at 12:20 PM.
BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 04:43 PM #5 of 22
mmm...I'm currently in McMaster, here are what I see the uni's in Ontario as:

Ryerson: Journalism
University of Toronto: Law, Medicine, Architecture, anything
Western: Business
York: Business
McMaster: Sciences
Waterloo: Engineering, Mathes, maybe Architecture
Queens: Law, Business, Science
Nippising: Teaching
Brock: ...have no idea
Lakehead: No idea as well

Other notable ones are McGill and University of BC (as noted in above posts).

Now...if you want to study design, I'd say generally Waterloo. But if you're looking into animation, film and that sort, check out Sheridan College. All their animators, once they graduate, get jobs at Disney...if that's any incentive, heh.

What a major is, is like what you're mainly studying. Minor's usually you just have a side interest in. You get majors and minors based on how many credits you earn for each course. Like let's say you enroll in the Biochem program. You would take the required coruses they tell you and you would major in biochem. With your electives you can also take let's say a bunch of psychologies and then minor in that. That's my interpretation of the system.

Just pop back a message and we'll try to help you as best as we can. I stilll have my brochures for the uni's.

Most amazing jew boots
Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:24 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 12:24 AM #6 of 22
Humm....

Ok I read all this and took this into consideration and I spoke to the guy from Canada again, (toronto guy). >_> It wouldn't be too super hard to get into Toronto uni, right? >_> I just kinda envisage all these other people who dwarf me academically (somehow) rushing in and ruining everything and me the little poor international student with my silly A Levels.

He says if I wanted to roll the film, business and design all into one, he suggested I take a double major of management and CCit. Would the CCit include the film type stuff? >_> Or could I minor in that?

Basically, when I come out, I want to be able to design all sorts of shit, have proficiency in design programs, and also some knowledge about photography and film-making (or perhaps go back and do that some other time I dunno or perhaps that's in the CCit). Also I wanna know how to run my own business and whatnot. So yeah. >_> And perhaps have a few other things I picked up along the way if I had the space.

God this whole minor and major thing sure is a blast. ._. And this credit business, what's that all about? He said you got 20 credits and 2 majors will take up like 16 of them and whatnot.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Xexxhoshi; Jul 11, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 06:45 PM #7 of 22
Originally Posted by XSO
God this whole minor and major thing sure is a blast. ._. And this credit business, what's that all about? He said you got 20 credits and 2 majors will take up like 16 of them and whatnot.
It really is a blast . Credits are the numbers you receive per class. For example, if you take 1 class for 3 hours a week--one hour class for 3 days a week--then you get 3 credits for that class. I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the U.S. you have to take General Studies courses (as in, courses not related to your major).

For example, let's say you need to have 30 credits. You take 5 classes that relate to a Film major and each of them are 3 credits (last for 3 hours per week), then that means you have 15 credits. Well, in America, you need general classes, so let's say the other 15 credits you need are your general courses: Math (3 credits), Science (3 credits), English (3 credits), Social Science (3 credits), and Physical Education (3 credits).

Of course, the number of credits can change (normally receive around 2-4 credits per class). They may do credits different in Canada, but in America it mostly depends on how many hours the course is per week. There are a few exceptions when dealing with Liberal Arts colleges, but they can mainly make their own rules since many of them are private.

FELIPE NO

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:42 PM #8 of 22
It's really difficult to choose a program for someone else. Really, all we can do is give you good universities which aren't too expensive and you'll have to check what majors/minors are offered at each place and where you want to go yourself. Once you've spent some time, the more the better, looking around and comparing, then you can think of starting to apply. Do make sure you look at the deadlines for applications though.

Let me give you a practical example for the whole major/minor thing along with credits (For Canadian universities. Well, one Canadian University, I suppose it's similar at others). First, allow me to explain a bit about majors, minors and credits. Majors and minors are merely blocks of courses. A major in, say, physics, will contain a bunch of courses which you must complete in order to get a degree in physics. A minor will also contain a bunch of courses which give you some knowledge about a field, but less than a major, allowing you to pursue other interests. A minor is not always required, but then you still have to take other courses with your major since a major usually doesn't give you all the credits you need for a degree. What are credits? Well, you can think of them as the proof you've done something while in college. Each course will give you a number of credits upon completion, usually 3, but it can vary. As Visavi said, the number usually reflects how many hours of course you get per week. Once you've completed all the courses in your major, as well as enough additional courses to have the number of credits needed to get your degree, you, well, get your degree.

Practical example: I've received my letter of acceptance for McGill a while ago. It essentailly said that I needed 90 credits to get my degree, Bachelor of Science. It also listed my major as physics. That means I'll have to follow all the courses listed under "Major in Physics", which account for 60 credits. Now, if I wanted to, I could take a minor in mathematics, which accounts for 24 credits, if I wanted to study some math too. I'd still need 6 more credits, about 2 courses, which I could take from courses that I find interesting (there are, of course, some restrictions as to what I can take. They probably wouldn't let me take "Physics 101"). Once I'm done with my major and got 90 credits, then I can graduate. It's really not that complicated.

There's also a kind of degree that doesn't require any major/minor. They're called honours programs. They usually focus on one particular subject, and have more courses than a major, essentially giving you almost all the credits you need for your degree. For example, the honours program in physics at McGill gives 78 credits, so you'd need only 12 more credits (assuming you need 90 as I do). That's 4 more courses, which you can choose as you wish (again, restrictions may apply). Honours programs are apparently especially well-suited for people wishing to go on to graduate studies.

One thing that might be interesting for you, though, is that depending on how many years you've already done, you might have to do 3 or 4 years in college. If you do 4, then you won't have to choose a particular program in your first year (most of the time), and you'll get a year of somewhat general education depending on the faculty in which you're enrolled, which also means one more year to choose a program. If you're part of the faculty of science, for example, then you'll probably get a general science education, with math, physics, chemistry and biology, which prepares you for pretty much any program you'll choose for the next year, such as physics, chemistry or microbiology.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2006, 09:10 PM #9 of 22
Visavi explained credits neatly already but here they're "units".
Those are designated by the course requirements on an online undergraduate calendar where you can look up info that is specific to whichever discipline you wish to specialize in.
Electives which you can make up your minor with will definitely total up to less units than those which are compulsory for your program.
Overloading by a certain number of units is going over the amount of units you normly have to complete.
This is probably obvious, but more units = more tuition expenses

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:38 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 02:38 AM #10 of 22
Since graphics isn't such a popular major, I couldn't really recommend any universities in the US that are good in that field. There are plenty of universities that are great for business (undergraduate). The top ones from USNews.com are Wharton (good luck), MIT (good luck again), UC Berkeley, and University of Michigan–Ann Arbor. These are all pretty good and well known schools.

Another aspect you should consider is cost. Many universities in the US are heck of expensive, especially private ones (like MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc.) so it's really a downer to factor those in. Public universities are usually cheaper for in state residents, but since you're international, it can be as expensive as a private university. I would suggest applying for any sort of international student scholarship you can find.

A quick search yielded this:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/col...0409_brief.php

This might be a good source for US schools by major, or in general. They do a good job ranking universities overall or by whatever.

Majors and stuff isn't something to be worried about. Each school has a different system of how you can acquire your major with different requirements. It's basically a list of required courses which you have to pass in and a certain number of credit hours you must complete.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:33 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 09:33 AM #11 of 22
Hmm...well thats the minor major thing sorted out I guess. >_> Now I gotta decide exactly what type of mixture of stuff it is that I wanna take. >_>

Originally Posted by Dee
Another aspect you should consider is cost. Many universities in the US are heck of expensive, especially private ones (like MIT, Stanford, Harvard, etc.) so it's really a downer to factor those in. Public universities are usually cheaper for in state residents, but since you're international, it can be as expensive as a private university. I would suggest applying for any sort of international student scholarship you can find.
Yeah, that is one of the major concerns with just about every US or canadian uni I've looked at, also hence me mentioning our not-so-huge income. I'm like "hay I'm not a US/canada guy" and they're all "WELL BIG PRICE TO PAY BWHAHAHAHAHA DIE (also we offer very little funding stuff as well)" It says it's roughly like 11,000€ for the first year for most unis. Would that go down or up in price over the years? Also we've entered the Green Card Lottery (I doubt we'll win but whatever), but I doubt I'd get resident state uni prices for just having a green card, right?

Knowing my luck I probably will end up going back to England, but as it is, I'm trying my luck with thinking about the US and Canada anyhow.

Also thanks everyone for the replies and such, it does help a lot. ^_^

Double Post:
Also for anyone doing uni in Britain, or anyone who's been there, do they offer this sort of Major/Minor type stuff?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Xexxhoshi; Jul 12, 2006 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:43 AM #12 of 22
Originally Posted by XSO
Hmm...well thats the minor major thing sorted out I guess. >_> Now I gotta decide exactly what type of mixture of stuff it is that I wanna take. >_>

Yeah, that is one of the major concerns with just about every US or canadian uni I've looked at, also hence me mentioning our not-so-huge income. I'm like "hay I'm not a US/canada guy" and they're all "WELL BIG PRICE TO PAY BWHAHAHAHAHA DIE (also we offer very little funding stuff as well)" It says it's roughly like 11,000€ for the first year for most unis. Would that go down or up in price over the years? Also we've entered the Green Card Lottery (I doubt we'll win but whatever), but I doubt I'd get resident state uni prices for just having a green card, right?

Double Post:
Also for anyone doing uni in Britain, or anyone who's been there, do they offer this sort of Major/Minor type stuff?
I'm not sure about minors, but Britain has one good thing about majors that the U.S., and maybe Canada, do not have. In Britain, when you begin going to a university, you do NOT have to worry about taking General Studies courses. You get right into what you want to do for a major. One of the cheaper film/media communication universities there is the University of Sunderland. It's still a few thousand euros per semester, but this college has been known to have given people jobs for MTV, The Guardian, BBC, and a few other forms of media. They do have some business courses there and one of the better graphic design studios I believe, but I do not know if they really have minors or not. However, they have some good hands-on film training and unlike U.S. dorms, you get your own dorm room .

I'm in a hurry, but I'll add a link later today.

Most amazing jew boots

BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:41 AM #13 of 22
True, in Britain, for example if you want to go into Med, you go right into Med. It's like that in a lot of countries...other than the states and Canada. But I think XSO would be going into a general studies program anyways. The only programs tha tyou have to go through the general studies thing is mainly science and law over here. In McMaster if you're going into engineering you still have to do 1 year of general first but then you specialize. Waterloo, you specialize right away.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:48 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 11:48 AM #14 of 22
To cover your grounds for graphic/website design, film, and business, I recommend Northern University in DeKalb ( http://www.niu.edu ). Many of my friends who were in to MIS/IT (covers database programming and business practices) or live theater graduated from there. On the flipside, my homegirl Shawna got a job working for Nintendo of America in Seattle by getting her double masters in graphic design and art (film is a big part). She got her degree from Columbia College of Chicago ( http://www.colum.edu , don't be fooled by www.ccc.edu ). If you want to be educated, but don't care much for a degree, I recommend Oakton Community College ( http://www.oakton.edu ), because they give you a great variety of tools to work with, and don't push large amounts of work on you (sometimes varies by professor). With less required work, you get more time to work with what tools you want to know better, and explore more tools you usually don't get to use.

Good luck to you.

Edit: If you don't want to pay the insane international fees, I'll set you up with some residency information that will help you pay a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Fatt; Jul 12, 2006 at 01:45 PM.
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:00 PM #15 of 22
Ottawa university has a pretty righteous international program.

www.uottawa.ca holler. As if people were mentioning mcmmaster and brock but not ottawa, tsk.

How ya doing, buddy?
BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:15 PM #16 of 22
lol sorry of pom, yeah u of ottawa is pretty cool, i have friends there that really like it. (its close to quebec too...but that doesnt matter to you, its for 18 yr olds who want to drink (legal age in ontario is 18, and 19 in quebec))

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:28 PM #17 of 22
I go there and i wont lie, it has a pretty lame and stereotypical population, but the school itself is pretty decent.

Most amazing jew boots
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:18 PM #18 of 22
Originally Posted by BlueEdge
(legal age in ontario is 18, and 19 in quebec)
Switch that around and you're right. Unless every single time I went to the liquor store they've misread 18 as 19 on my ID.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:55 PM #19 of 22
Originally Posted by BlueEdge
(legal age in ontario is 18, and 19 in quebec))
Oh really?

You've got that backwards buddy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Xexxhoshi
ボクの彼氏はどこにいる?

Member 1523

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 01:56 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 07:56 PM #20 of 22
jeez I never thought I'd get so much replies on this topic @_@

Well.....hmmm....there's a lot of stuff here to work through. >_> I'll take it all in, inwardly digest it and whatnot, and see where I go from there. Expect a followup topic sometime later then. If you were to ask me even now, I might say I'd go to some London uni, I might go to Canada, I might go to the US. >_> This topic has given me more reasoning to the the US and Canada it seems, hehe. I'll give this all a thinking over as I didn't expect this much advice and stuff so yeah, thank you everyone. ^_^;;

(also Fatt, how would that residency stuff work? >_> I thought it was kinda hard to get all that stuff in America or canada or wherever and whatnot)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Xexxhoshi; Jul 12, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 02:20 PM #21 of 22
lol sorry my bad. Yeah, i dont care anymore, im legal. but going to the uk would be simplier for you, less travel costs and its easier to go home if you want. im sure uk universities are great, its just theres no uk people posting.

I was speaking idiomatically.
SeanParnika
River Chocobo

Member 762

Level 23.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:24 PM #22 of 22
Any school in the US would accept international students

Penn state
University of Penn
Temple University
West Chester university
Arcadia University
Kutztown University
Rutgers University
University of Maryland
SUNY (various brances)
CUNY ( in NYC)
Drexel University
LaSalle University
Holy Family University
Lincoln University

(do a google for each school)

Drexel should fit you studies well, because it is a computer and engineering school.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > US/Canadian college for an International student?