Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Xbox 360 Issues

Gray Fox
Hurt me MORE!

Member 1342

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 10:55 AM #1 of 26
Xbox 360 Issues

I don't know if this is the rigth place to ask but i hope you guys can help me....the question is: have you guys ever experienced overheating problems with your xbox 360??
I wanna buy one....but i heard of this "high temperature problems"...and in the store they say i should get a cooling system (some sort of back fans for the xbox 360) so it won't over-heat...do you guy's ever experience this kind of problems in your xbox 360? they say that the ovearheating problems can appear as Blackouts, image frozen up, total brake down, etc....??? is this true???

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:14 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2006, 05:14 PM #2 of 26
Most of those problems occured with the earlier 360 consoles. If you have one with an '05 manufacturing date, MS will replace it for free. The newer ones are a lot more stable. I've heard of some people having freezing occur in game due to the use of either modchips, firmware hacks or shoddy 3rd party add-ons, but recent 360 consoles seem to be fine, as long as you treat them well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:38 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2006, 06:38 PM #3 of 26
Actually, I've heard that you risk shorting the 360 if you use on 'o them cooling devices. Just don't shove it into a locker or anything like that, and you'd be fine.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 11:52 AM Local time: Dec 22, 2006, 10:52 AM #4 of 26
I haven't had any problems with my 360. Just be smart about it and don't enclose it in anything, make sure there is plenty of airflow available to allow for the heat that it expels to dissipate. It does a good enough job of cooling itself as long as it isn't shoved into a small, enclosed space. For instance, if you have it in a media center or tv stand that has glass doors, leave the doors open when it is running.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2006, 01:07 PM #5 of 26
^

Exactly, I have the glass door thing open and BAM, works PERFECTLY.

Now, if you HAVE to put it in an enclosed space, you can buy the intercooler, which I'm told works incredibly well.

I was speaking idiomatically.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 22, 2006, 06:36 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2006, 03:36 PM #6 of 26
I've left mine on for days at a time (I know, not a good idea), and it's stayed nice and cool. But, hey, I like to keep my consoles in well-ventilated areas, so that may have something to do with it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 01:56 AM #7 of 26
Mine get's warm, but never hot. However I can't say the same for the room that my 360 is in.

Colonel Skills: There's a flaw with that theory. I myself have an intercooler too and while it removes the hot air from the system fine, if it is in an inclosed space there is only that warm air to ventelate back into the system. In turn, it doesn't matter how good your fan is, it has to be exposed with a wealth of cool air surrounding it.

In my own experiances, my 360s have only ever sat on top of my TV in a totally open area (don't have a wall unit) however I'm on my third. Trust me, overheating is just a fraction of the issues the 360 has. The horrible trays that have poorly alligned rails is another major issue. The internal PSU fan tends to be faulty in many systems. And many more issues exist. However while I may be on my third system, I don't really care, I didn't want to wait for the issues to be ironed out, and MS was willing to replace my system each time, so as long as I get decent support I don't really care if the system breaks or not.

FELIPE NO
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:26 AM Local time: Dec 23, 2006, 03:26 AM #8 of 26
Also, it might be worth mentioning that Microsoft has recently upgraded the warranty for all Xbox 360s to 1 year:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/...tyextended.htm

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 02:06 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2006, 01:06 PM #9 of 26
True enough Slayer, in a completely sealed off environment, a larger fan would do shit.

Most amazing jew boots
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:44 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2006, 12:44 PM #10 of 26
Originally Posted by Solis
Also, it might be worth mentioning that Microsoft has recently upgraded the warranty for all Xbox 360s to 1 year:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/...tyextended.htm
That's good to know, though I just paid the $50 for the 2-Year extended plan regardless...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:44 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2006, 01:44 PM #11 of 26
I don't think this will be a problem for me, should I get one pretty quick as well, or even early 2007. My basement is almost cooler by 10 degrees Celcius in the basement than upstairs. I have my PS2 sitting out and not enclosed by anything, so it makes logical sense I'd set up my future Xbox this way as well.

- What we all do best -
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2006, 12:47 PM #12 of 26
BTW, wasn't it stated by MS that by using the Intercooler you void your warranty? So, using it won't help whether you are in the new 1 Year time frame or not. That, and everyone I heard from says the thing doesn't do squat to cool your console anyway...

Most amazing jew boots
Gray Fox
Hurt me MORE!

Member 1342

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2006, 07:45 PM #13 of 26
thank's for all your coment's, they are very usefull......the thing is that i have my xbox 360 in espace of 8 inches in front....8 inches deep and 4.5 pf height is this sufficient space for normal ventilation???

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:44 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 11:44 PM #14 of 26
I trust that my current set up (see picture below) is more than sufficient to allow proper ventilation. Sooner or later it's going to move down stairs to where my PS2 currently is. In regards to the GIANT AC adapter, do I just keep that plugged in 24/7 or do I disconnect it after a day, and only replug it when I need it? I keep my PS2 plugged in, simply because it's obviously not warm when not turned on, but I want to play it safe with my new Xbox 360 toy ^__^.

Pics:

Spoiler:

Current set up on main floor (36 inch Panasonic):

Future set up where it will sit side by side with PS2 in basement (32 inch Panasonic Tau):

How ya doing, buddy?

- What we all do best -
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2006, 01:50 AM #15 of 26
1. Get the Power adaptor off the carpet.

Otherwise you are good. I have mine sitting on top of my slim ps2. And no you dont disconnect the thing. I have had mine vertical for a year and never any issues. Never even got warm to be honest. And it is on 8-12 hours a day a lot of the time. You probably just dont want to stick it in that cabinet.

FELIPE NO
Lipid
Fatty!

Member 3311

Level 8.57

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:29 AM #16 of 26
Originally Posted by sabbey
BTW, wasn't it stated by MS that by using the Intercooler you void your warranty? So, using it won't help whether you are in the new 1 Year time frame or not. That, and everyone I heard from says the thing doesn't do squat to cool your console anyway...
I fail to see how this voids your warranty, or how they'd know you used one.. And as far as it not helping; that's bullshit. It draws out a lot of the excess heat at a faster rate than just the stock fans themselves do. It isn't necessarily "cooling" your xbox, but it's preventing heat buildup from being a problem in the system.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:15 PM #17 of 26
Originally Posted by Colonel Skills
Now, if you HAVE to put it in an enclosed space, you can buy the intercooler, which I'm told works incredibly well.

I hear it kind of explodes and ruins power supplies.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:31 PM Local time: Dec 28, 2006, 01:31 AM #18 of 26
The only "issue" I'm having with my 360 is the insane noise of the spinning DVD drive. Seriously, I can't even play the damn thing in the evening hours without putting on headphones.

I'll probably sell the thing and wait for Microsoft to fix this with the new 65nm CPUs.

How ya doing, buddy?
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:56 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2006, 05:56 PM #19 of 26
I don't know for sure, but I think I may have run into some corrupted save game data. I send C Skills a PM, but I mind as well post it here in case people run into this situation as well:

I think my save data on GRAW might be corrupted. Here's what happened. I was in the middle of doing mission 6 or so, then my guy died. Okay that's fine. But then when I said I wanted to continue from the last save point, it went to the loading screen and then to the screen where you seen the skull GRAW icon in the bottom right hand corner. It stays like this for ever, I waited 5 minutes, 10 minutes, even up to 1 hour, and still it was stuck at that.

I tried starting a new game it seems to work fine. But I don't understand what is up with that particular save file. I didn't know that the save data isn't like the PS2 where you can do seperate save slots, but it gets put all into one. That's a bummer. So I seriously hope I don't have to start from scratch.

Also, I tried numerous times, like 10 times and restarted the whole console, powering it off and on, and tried to see if GOW works. GoW runs fine from the last save point. Does this happen frequently ie corrupt save data? =/

So yes, I'll be VERY concerned if corrupt save data is an issue, especially when it comes to 40-50 hour long RPGS in the future, or Oblivion for that matter.

Thank god now what I'll do is just input the cheat code to get all the missions, then I'll just play from the mission that I was last at. But other games I won't be so lucky at. =/

- What we all do best -
sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:17 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 12:17 AM #20 of 26
The only "issue" I'm having with my 360 is the insane noise of the spinning DVD drive. Seriously, I can't even play the damn thing in the evening hours without putting on headphones.
Mine does the same thing, though it's not as bad since I am getting used to it...

My only concern is more related to all the issues I keep reading online about in regards to Gears of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas and other games freezing way too often. And now, something about discs coming out scratched to hell by the console.

I am glad I bought the console, but this seems a little too widespread to be just a coincidence some are having.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:56 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 03:56 AM #21 of 26
Why are you dudes crying over this stuff? If you don't have them then why do you even care? This internet mumbojumbo is hilarious.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 01:13 AM #22 of 26
Why are you dudes crying over this stuff? If you don't have them then why do you even care? This internet mumbojumbo is hilarious.
Just because some might not have problems, doesn't make it less an issue. It's so widespread that we can't not talk about it and MS' insistence on doing what comes off as doing nothing, well IMO anyway...

That said, I am not crying over it, just posting that I won't be paying MS full price to find out how long my luck holds out. Then again, I rarely would do that regardless. I am a cheapassgamer, after all!

Sheesh, I am having a hard time deciding if Rainbow Six: Vegas is even worth $39.99, let alone $60.

I fail to see how this voids your warranty, or how they'd know you used one.. And as far as it not helping; that's bullshit. It draws out a lot of the excess heat at a faster rate than just the stock fans themselves do. It isn't necessarily "cooling" your xbox, but it's preventing heat buildup from being a problem in the system.
The last I heard, it discolors the connector. So, it would be very noticeable by MS if they inspect it...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by sabbey; Dec 31, 2006 at 04:23 AM.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:34 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 04:34 AM #23 of 26
Yeah, it's perfectly acceptable that you have to wonder whether or not you'll be able to play games properly because of flaws with the system.

FELIPE NO
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 12:32 PM #24 of 26
Well if you not having problems with games that one owns already, it is 99% likely that you wont have problems with Gears or War, RSV, etc. So its pointless to worry.

And Rainbow is easily worth 60 dollars. Probably worth it for even more.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2007, 12:55 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2006, 09:55 PM #25 of 26
And Rainbow is easily worth 60 dollars. Probably worth it for even more.
Plan on buying it since I have a $25 gift card I could apply to lower the cost even further. I'll just need to play the demo more first, seeing how bad I am typically at these kind of games. That said, I am getting much more enjoyment out of GRAW than I thought I would, so, who knows...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Xbox 360 Issues