Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Should Suikoden I - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version be eligible for voting?
Yes 13 56.52%
No 7 30.43%
Abstain/don't care 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Song of the Week - Qualification: Suikoden I - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version
Closed Thread

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:54 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 04:54 PM #1 of 18
Song of the Week - Qualification: Suikoden I - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version

Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version
Nominator: KyleDunamis

Should this track be eligible for Song of the Week voting? Continue debate here, now with a poll to conveniently compress your opinion!

(for people just joining us, the previous debate starts here)

I've set the poll to expire in a week under the optimistic assumption that we'll get enough nominators so that his track won't actually appear in next week's voting batch.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jun 15, 2006 at 06:59 PM.
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:19 PM #2 of 18
I voted yes, if I shouldn't have, just move my vote to "abstain" or something.

Btw, Should I lose, I did have that backup nom, so you can instantly replace the Suikoden track with that if I DO go next week.

For the purposes of having the backup nom more prominantly placed, here it is again:

Artist: Motoaki Takenouchi
Album/Game Title: Shining Force II Gamerip
Track Title: Dying Wishes
Disc Number: N/A
Track Number: 19
Catalog Number: N/A
Year: 1993
Additional Information: The track is called "A Hole in my Heart" in the japanese sound test.
Source(s): VGZ Tag

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by KyleDunamis; Jun 15, 2006 at 07:22 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:26 PM #3 of 18
Hrmmm....Suikoden, Suikoden...I've heard of that somewhere. *looks at avatar slot* Oh right...

I have to say, it IS fairly popular, but not TOO popular that it's overcrowded by rabid fanboys...It's not something I'm worried about skewed voting in other words. No Suikoden track has ever made it to the BSE top 16 and only a handful have ever done well in the contest (Main Theme, Theme of Moonlit Night and Reminiscense) (though an arranged track won a SOTW contest early on) Most people don't know who the composers are for the games anyway, so you're not going to see a run of Miki Higashino/Norikazu Miura fanboys the same way you'd see a herd of Uematsu/Mitsuda fanboys.

Suikoden...Known, but not OVER-known.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Jun 15, 2006 at 07:36 PM.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:26 PM #4 of 18
Suikoden has always seemed like a second-tier RPG to me; known to many but not nearly as mainstream or popular as others in the genre.

I've gone through the PSF set for Suikoden and Suikoden II looking for tracks like "Beautiful Golden City," so I'm vaguely familiar with the music, though as I said before I'm not sure how much currency the tunes have among VGM enthusiasts.

Add to that the previously nominated Suikotunes, which may or may not grandfather this one in, and you're pretty much back to square one. I guess that adds up to an abstention/don't care from me.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:10 PM #5 of 18
Because my brother, the scarily obsessed Suiko-fanatic, was unable to identify one of the most commonly used town themes from Suikoden II, mistaking it for a track from Mario RPG, I'm going to say that the game is likely known for its deep storylines and integrated character development rather than any of its music.

It's a yes for me. Of course, if I should nominate a track somewhere way down the line (because there's one I really adore), I don't wanna hear no guff.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:36 PM #6 of 18
I do have a question, should this track lose...Would ALL Suikoden tracks be barred from nomination or just Theme of Sadness? Or just all Suikoden 1 tracks?

Also, would be nice if some of the people who are voting "no" would grace us with some commentary.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:57 PM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 09:57 AM #7 of 18
My opinion on Suikoden is that while the music does not reach the heights of the likes of FF in terms of popularity, it still has a very large fanbase, partly as a result of the game itself. Besides, we've already had an arranged track from one of the earlier Suikoden games so I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the early Suikoden games had their chance to shine.

However, I think nominations from Suikoden Tactics should be fine. For one, it's quite new and I don't think it has the same large fanbase as the original game's soundtrack. I'm not so sure about Suikoden IV and V but I'm quite certain the first three Suikoden games' soundtracks are well recognized.

How ya doing, buddy?
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Jun 15, 2006 at 09:05 PM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:26 PM #8 of 18
I agree with Elorin. Though the Suikoden soundtracks are not uber-popular, there have been a fair share of tracks in various contests here. I feel the first few titles are too well-known for SotW. Suikoden Tactics would be indeed be ok, though, as would Suikoden IV, I suppose.

Most amazing jew boots
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:36 PM #9 of 18
Originally Posted by GoldfishX
I do have a question, should this track lose...Would ALL Suikoden tracks be barred from nomination or just Theme of Sadness? Or just all Suikoden 1 tracks?

Also, would be nice if some of the people who are voting "no" would grace us with some commentary.
Most definately all, since, as I said in the other thread, Theme of Sadness seems to be one of S1's lesser known tracks.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 09:40 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 07:40 PM #10 of 18
Just copy-pasting a comment from Zaggart over at STC so that I don't forget it:

Originally Posted by Zaggart
If a track from TFII is eligible, then a track from Suikoden I should be alright.
I'll probably add more here if we get more comments.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by KyleDunamis
I voted yes, if I shouldn't have, just move my vote to "abstain" or something.
Hey, it's your track; you have the right to support it.

Originally Posted by GoldfishX
If this nomination affects anything, I'd say it should only affect Suikoden I.

Would Theme of Sadness make the rest of the OST ineligible? I honestly don't know. The poll looks pretty close so far; it might be better not to risk another nomination.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jun 15, 2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:20 PM #11 of 18
Originally Posted by KyleDunamis
Most definately all, since, as I said in the other thread, Theme of Sadness seems to be one of S1's lesser known tracks.
That IS something I'm surprised at, considering...

Spoiler:
it plays after Hero McDohl just lays out his own father and as he's dying, he's telling his henchman to join the Liberation Army. Very moving scene, actually, since it was well known the two would have to fight eventually and the game had already proven it wasn't afraid to kill people the hero was close to.

I personally remember it extremely well. Much moreso than many other moments of the original game. On its' own...Eh, not a GREAT accomplishment (I'd probably be able to name a dozen or so tracks on the S1 OST I'd prefer), but definitely quality material.

But I also agree...I rarely see any mention of the actual theme. It's not like its' Aeris' Theme and being played in VGM concerts across the US...

On the note of the series...I would say the popularity of the series has drastically declined in recent years (largely due to a drop-off in quality of several games...at least in the eyes of the series' fans), so I don't think Suikoden IV, Tactics and the recently released V should be subject to a potential series ban.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SonicPanda
You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!

Member 5153

Level 23.81

Apr 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 10:46 PM #12 of 18
On the one hand, I'm familiar with the piece, but on the other, I'm familiar with 4 pieces in the current week that made it through unchallenged, so that's not a great barometer. Hmm...

I'll abstain....courteously.

How ya doing, buddy?
DAMN good coffee!

September 2007: Waiting for Godot...
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 04:46 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 01:46 AM #13 of 18
I look at any Playstation 1 rpg as suspect for SotW. That's the platform that catapulted the genre and the most sought after sort of ost once music sharing started to really take off.

Or at least that's my perception of the situation and their popularity. I haven't really been for the sort when they've popped up here and there, but nobody else has seemed to be too worried about it.

I know the first Suikoden very well, it is a very usual album to find on ftps. It's probably not uber popular, just very common.

I was speaking idiomatically.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
David Deluxe
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 1181

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 05:18 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 12:18 PM #14 of 18
I've never played a Suikoden game before and if I remember correctly, I don't really know anything about the Suikoden soundtracks, except those tracks which participated in the Best Song Contest 2004/2005. All in all I don't see any problem with this track, so why shouldn't it be eligible? Voted for yes, obviously.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

[SCHWARZE 4 - Sepp Bonhof]
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 09:54 AM #15 of 18
Yeah, let it in. More "minor" tunes from otherwise popular games, I don't have a problem with, whether it be Suikoden, or something like Final Fantasy V. Don't care as long as it's not a popular track.

FELIPE NO
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 01:11 AM #16 of 18
Thinking about equivalency here. Would I let, say, an Eternal Arcadia track in? The answer is yes, because even though I know the sountrack well, many others don't. When the tables are turned (I've enjoyed a few Suikoden tracks from the BSE contests, but never heard the album before), then I have to go along with it as a viable candidate.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2006, 02:35 AM Local time: Jun 16, 2006, 11:35 PM #17 of 18
Damn, you all need to get on that, the first Suikoden has some pretty decent stuff.

*brings Distant Mountain up in the playlist*

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 04:08 AM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 02:08 AM #18 of 18
Oh, forgot to close this up with a post.

Theme of Sadness is eligible etc.

Most amazing jew boots
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - Qualification: Suikoden I - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version