Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

SP2 or not ?

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:42 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 10:42 AM #1 of 24
SP2 or not ?

So it's been a while since this has been released now, and I still didnt upgrade due to waryness ...

But what about it actually? What are you guys' experiences with it?

How ya doing, buddy?
reflectiVe
R.I.P., J. Dilla. (Jay Dee)

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 05:20 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:20 AM #2 of 24
I don't see a reason to not get it. The only 'real' problem I had with it was a small p2p problem (10 half open connections: http://www.lvllord.de to fix) , which I'm assume has already been addressed here. It adds a lot to group policies and it's better for security reasons.

Get service pack 2. It may take awhile to download/install, but it's absolutely worth it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

This is message is dedicated to real Hip-hop
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:34 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 12:34 PM #3 of 24
Download and install SP2 it contains quite a few security fixes, and generally on the whole you won't notice any degredation in performance.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 04:05 PM #4 of 24
I'm still on SP1 and all I do to protect myself if the occasional (monthly, if that) AVG / Spybot scan. I have no firewall (use a router). I use firefox for the web. I've had no trouble whatsoever, so I don't see a need to bloat my XP some more and SP2 it. I've noticed though that elements of it have seeped through thanks to the automatic updates I install.

I see SP2 more of something Microsoft released when they realised a whole lot of windows users are generally complete novices when it comes to computers.

I don't want my XP trying to lead me around by the hand any more than it already does.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 11:04 AM #5 of 24
I held off on upgrading to SP2 forever (only did it once my school forced me to do it in order to stay on the network), and I haven't had a problem with it yet. Just be sure you have over 1GB free on your windows drive when you try to install, otherwise you'll get an error and you'll have to redownload the patch in order to try and reinstall it.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:16 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 08:16 PM #6 of 24
I never bothered upgrading to SP2, but my new notebook came with SP2 integrated into Windows, so I was forced to use it.

No problems whatsoever, runs like a charm.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 01:25 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 08:25 PM #7 of 24
SP2 isn't anything special and there's usually no risk involved in installing it. It's just a bunch of security fixes and added features combined into one (huge) package.

There are a few annoying things for experienced users, but they can easily be deactivated.

Really, I can't see a good reason for not getting SP2 now. To be honest, I never understood why people were hesitant to get these updates in the first place. It's not like it will instantly render your XP useless or something.

FELIPE NO
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 03:49 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 09:49 PM #8 of 24
Also of note that Microsoft in the not too distant future will stop support and providing security fixes/updates for SP1 so you will have to upgrade at some point to SP2 otherwise your machine will be left vulnerable to any future exploits in the Windows operating system.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:15 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 03:15 PM #9 of 24
Originally Posted by El Ray Fernando
Also of note that Microsoft in the not too distant future will stop support and providing security fixes/updates for SP1 so you will have to upgrade at some point to SP2 otherwise your machine will be left vulnerable to any future exploits in the Windows operating system.
Uh... hi.
Microsoft will not selectively cut off support for people using older service packs. Would you like to know why? It is because a Service Pack is just a collection of updates, genius. This was a package to make distributing updates easier, and I suppose it could be called one of the "milestones" in XP's life. Need I also add that things like Windows 98 and ME (someone correct me if this is wrong) are still supported, though updates have stopped on the former, and it took a few years for this to happen?

To summarise, there is no logic behind cutting off XPSP1 support--XP itself would be cut off, and that will likely not happen for a few years.

Back to the topic at hand, I suggest you get Service Pack 2 just because it grants access to more updates, if I understand Windows Update properly; it also includes a bunch of new, nifty features (like the Wireless Networking controls getting totally redone).

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 07:15 PM #10 of 24
By having updates which require SP2, they can easilly stop supporting SP1. And all they would have to tell the customers with SP1 is that they should update to SP2 to fix their issues. It's free, and makes sense. The reason they update their stuff is in order to fix issues. If you want to use your unpatched copy, and expect that things will just magically get fixed without updating, then nuts to you.

It's like saying, I know you fixed this with patch X, but I don't want to install patch X. So can you just fix the issue with, uh, something...else?

"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
reflectiVe

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:10 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 08:10 PM #11 of 24
That's not entirely true. Now that Windows XP comes with service pack 2 & the latest hot fixes (once the CD was published), it is quite possible that support for SP1 could stop. But since there are a lot of security features in service pack 2, you could avoid this type of problem in the future.

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2006, 08:57 PM #12 of 24
Just make sure you're careful about what post-SP2 updates are installed. WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) is a pain in the ass if you have a illicit copy of WinXP. This is one reason to be careful. So if you have a legit copy, update away. If you pirated, install SP2 first than selectively not install any of the WGA updates that you can omit.

niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 04:02 AM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 11:02 AM #13 of 24
Thanks all. Still not sure about what I'm going to do for now, but all those comments will definitely be useful.

I was speaking idiomatically.
BurningRanger
...was there

Member 4377

Level 19.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 01:28 PM #14 of 24
A buddy of mine wants to install SP2 on his computer (needs it to work with his MP3 player) and he can't, because he's running pirated windows.

Is there a workaround for this?

T1249NTSCJ
Good Chocobo

Member 317

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 03:11 PM Local time: Apr 27, 2006, 04:11 PM #15 of 24
There was a windows crack available online recently.

http://www.newzbin.com/browse/post/1870559/

Works great for updates but doesn't work on Windows Defender, that program is rather useless too so no real loss.

How ya doing, buddy?
Westfield
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5994

Level 2.50

Apr 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 05:40 PM #16 of 24
if your chip is 64 bit i reccomend SP2, i know it doesnt make ur pc 64 but windows (lol =/) but it is almost like having a bios update for ur windows installation =S

i run a 64 bit chip and its way quicker with SP2 installed =S

Most amazing jew boots
BurningRanger
...was there

Member 4377

Level 19.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:48 PM #17 of 24
Originally Posted by BurningRanger
A buddy of mine wants to install SP2 on his computer (needs it to work with his MP3 player) and he can't, because he's running pirated windows.

Bump for great justice.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FergyLawl
Lawler of all Fergys

Member 4899

Level 5.27

Apr 2006

Old May 11, 2006, 11:30 PM Local time: May 11, 2006, 08:30 PM #18 of 24
I dunno what to really say about it.

Everytime I've downloaded it, it has screwed my computer up terribly.

So I'm still running good ole' SP1.

Fergylawl, Lawlfergy, lawl lawl lawl.
Darkelf
used to be XenoMorph

Member 1510

Level 10.75

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 11:21 AM Local time: May 12, 2006, 05:21 PM #19 of 24
Originally Posted by BurningRanger

On my laptop I have a un unregistered (or cracked if you will) version of XP Pro which I let upgrade to SP2 and it went as smooth as silk. To tell the truth, the only thing I noticed was I had the new and better Windows Movie Maker 2.0, but that's all I can tell that helped me lots with this upgrade. I do some video editing once in a while so that's always a good thing hehe.

On my desktop PC, however I always held back for updating, since it once got screwed up because of all those tiny updates which messed up my Windows big time and I had to reinstall everything in the end.

Now I have SP1 and I'm sticking with it, because for me personally there's no need for SP2 and everything works like a charm as it is...

Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 06:10 PM #20 of 24
Originally Posted by niki
So it's been a while since this has been released now, and I still didnt upgrade due to waryness ...

But what about it actually? What are you guys' experiences with it?
Just...upgrade. Unless you like security holes.

Last edited by Tek2000; May 12, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Hiro
Rie Kugimiya

Member 2329

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 09:45 PM #21 of 24
I reformatted recently and Windows is hounding me about the thirty-day activation deal. I have heard that by activating this, I can no longer install this copy of Windows XP on future computers that I may own, is this true? And before you ask, I have a legitimate copy of Windows XP.

Will upgrading to SP2 and using the WGA automatically authenticate me, rendering the authentication unnecessary? Does WGA do some kind of voodoo magic to prevent this copy from being installed on this computer (assuming my point on the authentication is either correct, feel free to prove me wrong)?

Thanks.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: May 12, 2006, 08:41 PM #22 of 24
Originally Posted by Hiro
I reformatted recently and Windows is hounding me about the thirty-day activation deal. I have heard that by activating this, I can no longer install this copy of Windows XP on future computers that I may own, is this true? And before you ask, I have a legitimate copy of Windows XP.

Will upgrading to SP2 and using the WGA automatically authenticate me, rendering the authentication unnecessary? Does WGA do some kind of voodoo magic to prevent this copy from being installed on this computer (assuming my point on the authentication is either correct, feel free to prove me wrong)?

Thanks.
Getting WGA okay does not mean activation nags will disappear. They are separate, the only thing to do is activate or get a workaround. I highly recommend installing a corporate edition of WinXP (if it's pro) with your current CD-Key, no activation needed. But to be legit, you can only have one installed copy at a time, meaning when you migrate, you must erase WinXP from any other PC to be on the legal side.

Hiro
Rie Kugimiya

Member 2329

Level 10.26

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2006, 08:33 AM #23 of 24
Originally Posted by Kaiten
Getting WGA okay does not mean activation nags will disappear. They are separate, the only thing to do is activate or get a workaround. I highly recommend installing a corporate edition of WinXP (if it's pro) with your current CD-Key, no activation needed. But to be legit, you can only have one installed copy at a time, meaning when you migrate, you must erase WinXP from any other PC to be on the legal side.
You make an excellent point, to be absolutely legit, I would have to only install my legitimate copy of Windows on one computer.

So a professional edition's CD-key works for corporate edition ones, eh? I guess I'll have to torrent that then. Much thanks, Kaiten.

FELIPE NO
reflectiVe

Member 5717

Level 7.21

Apr 2006

Old May 18, 2006, 05:15 PM Local time: May 18, 2006, 03:15 PM #24 of 24
Or you could get a Celeron processor and cut your heating bill in half. :P

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > SP2 or not ?