Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 108 Voting/WEEK 109 Nominating

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 04:48 PM #26 of 50
The one thing that would worry me is making Crash's track a precedent for getting widely-known tracks from the series snuck into SotW thanks to people seeing the "MM5" tag and nothing else.
Those things tend to work themselves out. Like when I got that Suikoden track in, and someone else tried nominating some remix of the chocobo theme, and that remix didn't get in.

Also, I have the ps1 Mega Man 5, and if it matters, that remix that's being nominated WAS in that version verbatim.

Most amazing jew boots
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 06:37 PM #27 of 50
The one thing that would worry me is making Crash's track a precedent for getting widely-known tracks from the series snuck into SotW thanks to people seeing the "MM5" tag and nothing else.
This argument's lost a lot of its' edge to me. At this point, I could make a short, concrete list of soundtracks (note: soundtracks, not series) and a note saying "If your track isn't on this list, it's fine with me." Think maybe I'll do that during the playoffs and I get bored enough...

MM5 wouldn't be on that list (nor would 6-Forte). X1 and X4 would be...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:46 PM #28 of 50
This argument's lost a lot of its' edge to me. At this point, I could make a short, concrete list of soundtracks (note: soundtracks, not series) and a note saying "If your track isn't on this list, it's fine with me."
I could easily do the same, but the entire classic and X series would be on it--they had their own contest, after all.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:09 PM #29 of 50
I know...Anyone can. My point was it's not going to "open the floodgates" if everyone has a clear idea in their own minds what is and isn't eligible. I'll readily admit I'd be in the minority of people who'd allow MM5 (my reasoning is most people were unfamiliar with it in the MM contest and its profile isn't as prolific as 1-4, especially 2)...However, I don't think the issue of obscurity is as much as it seems to be sometimes.

I was speaking idiomatically.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:20 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2007, 06:20 PM #30 of 50
I'd also exclude 1-8.5 and at least X1-3 (never played nor listened to X4-8, so those are fine to me, but it's no big deal if any of those are cut).

And while we're at it, hell, let's just run the gamut here:
  • GB MM 1-5: all tracks that aren't arrangements of NES tracks are good
  • Classic series spin-offs (Battle & Chase, Power Fighters, etc.): same as above (excluding any SNES arrangements there might be)
  • Xtreme 1-2: all tracks that aren't arrangements of ineligible X tracks are good (if there are even any)
  • X Command Mission: we've had a nomination from this already, and it's still fine in my opinion
  • Legends 1-2 & Misadventures: go for it
  • Battle Network series: sure why not
  • Zero series: the RTRZ albums are popular enough that I think nominations from them should be looked at least a little, but ultimately they're fine to me
  • ZX/ZXA: same as above
  • Star Force: is there even a rip of this yet

Side note: I am hereby reserving all future rights to nominate Museum from R&F if it at some point in time becomes explicitly eligible.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Oct 12, 2007 at 08:23 PM.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:30 PM #31 of 50
I would argue on 7-8.5 due to no official soundtrack being released (at least until November) and the series' popularity dying throughout the 90's. I would vote "yay" on MM5 or MM6 or X5-X8, but I wouldn't argue it too much (though I don't ever remember X8's music coming up in any discussion I've seen).

Other than that, yeah pretty much the above. Sorry to say, Rockman isn't as high-profile as MM2 would lead people to believe...Or at least not ALL aspects of it.

How ya doing, buddy?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:28 PM #32 of 50
Ah-hah, I was right about those floodgates! Look at CHz already calling dibs on future nominations! I am nothing if not a prophet

Seriously, though, I would push for a blanket prohibition on the entire classic and X series, since there's a real nebulousness at where a "taper off" occurs in them both. I'd also be very squamish about the GB games, but that's probably because I'm very familiar with them.

The others seem like relatively unpopular or obscure side stories or gaidens (or a full series in the case of BN), which are fine by me. I've never even heard of Star Force.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 11:54 PM #33 of 50
Yeah, looks like a real apocalypse on the horizon...Guess I better inflate the liferaft.

Just curious how many times you've listened to the Rockman and Forte SPC set (or rip...or whatever's out there). I've heard it from half-heartedly playing the game, but I can't tell you much more than that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Oct 13, 2007 at 12:04 AM.
Shanks
Syklis Green

Member 18575

Level 8.62

Jan 2007

Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:46 AM #34 of 50
(2 Points) Immortal 3 - Obsession 'Desert Run'
(2 Points) Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving
(2 Points) Ys III Wanderers from Ys (PC-Engine Red Book Audio) - Be Careful

There's nowhere I can't reach.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:42 PM #35 of 50
Just curious how many times you've listened to the Rockman and Forte SPC set (or rip...or whatever's out there). I've heard it from half-heartedly playing the game, but I can't tell you much more than that.
I've listened to it a few times, though I'm not particularly enthralled with it; for my money the classic scores from 7 on are pretty touch and go. You can get the SPC set here if you really want it.

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:24 PM #36 of 50
I've listened to it a few times, though I'm not particularly enthralled with it; for my money the classic scores from 7 on are pretty touch and go. You can get the SPC set here if you really want it.
No shit...Often there's an mp3 rip of SPC sets floating around, so I wasn't sure if the people who actually listened to it normally use that or the straight timed SPC rip. I wasn't particularly interested in whether you liked it or not. My point was more or less how often you or anyone else listened to it. It may be known to CHz, but he also listens to a lot of stuff that's not particularly Chrono Cross in terms of being known. MM or no, this isn't striking me as being "well-known" at all.

Additional Spam:
Didn't think this week was overtly great myself.

3 pts - Be Careful (zero surprise nothing else measured up to this one)
2 pts - A Life of Harmony (so predictable, but very nicely put together)
1 pts - Sports (not always sure what to expect from Lemmings, but really fun)

Wild Wind was close before the flute came in. Was hoping for more than a meandering, midtempo rocker from the Terminator track...Crash's mention of "quality shredding" had my hopes up (though the solos and the second half were generally good).

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Oct 13, 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:59 AM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 01:59 PM #37 of 50
Very good week.

(2 points) Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (PC-Engine Red Book Audio) - Be Careful
(2 points) The Wanderer - G-Comp
(1 point) The Terminator (Sega CD Red Book Audio) - Destinationz Unknown
(1 point) Napple Tale Vol. 2 Illustrated Guide to the Monsters - Wild Wind

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 04:26 PM #38 of 50
My ears (and heart) have been pleased by most songs this week. Alas, points come in a limited number...

(3 points) The Wanderer - G-Comp
(2 points) Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving
(1 point) Immortal 3 - Obsession 'Desert Run'

------------------------------------------------

To be economic on posts, I'll take this opportunity to nominate a new song:

Arranger: Reyn Ouwehand
Composer: Rob Hubbard, Martin Galway, Fred Gray, Ben Daglish, Matt Gray, Reyn Ouwehand, Neil Brennan
Album: Nexus 6581
Track Title: Asian Legends
Track Number: 10
Year: 2000
Catalog Number: PP001
Additional Information: An arrangement-medley of several C64 martial arts games. For ported titles, some segments were originally composed by Japanese artists (i.e. Legend of Kage -> Hisayoshi Ogura).
Sources: C64Audio.com

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 04:43 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 10:43 PM #39 of 50
3 points ~ The Terminator (Sega CD Red Book Audio) - Destinationz Unknown
2 points ~ The Wanderer - G-Comp
1 point ~ Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving

Immortal 3 and napple tales would be the next ones to get a point.

FELIPE NO
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 06:00 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 03:00 PM #40 of 50
3 points - Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving
2 points - Ys III Wanderers from Ys (PC-Engine Red Book Audio) - Be Careful
1 point - Immortal 3 - Obsession 'Desert Run'

I really like the style of this Waterworld song. I'll have to download the soundtrack now. "Be Careful" is good, though I prefer the Oath in Felghana version.

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 07:17 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 08:17 AM #41 of 50
Quick vote:

(2 points) Napple Tale Vol. 2 Illustrated Guide to the Monsters - Wild Wind

(2 points) The Wanderer - G-Comp

(2 points) Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving

Terminator nearly got points.

I think therefore I am... I think.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:46 PM #42 of 50
Trying to listen and vote by 12:30 AM EST; no hard feelings if this is not allowed.

Additional Spam:
3 points: Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving
2 points: The Wanderer - G-Comp
1 point: The Terminator (Sega CD Red Book Audio) - Destinationz Unknown
Close: Napple Tale Vol. 2 Illustrated Guide to the Monsters - Wild Wind

Waterworld was a surprise. Felt like a .5 Follin. :-)

Last edited by Liontamer; Oct 14, 2007 at 11:18 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:19 PM #43 of 50
2 pts. - Wild Wind
2 pts. - Diving
1 pt. - G-Comp
1 pt. - Be Careful

Also, I have to change my nom last minute because I accidentally erased my save file for the game I was going to rip a nom from (Drawn to Life).

So, new nom:

Track: Shadow Devourer
Album: Sword Maniac
Artist: Hitoshi Sakimoto
Track #: 3
Year: 1993
Catalog #: TOCT-8253
Source: GMR
Comments: I hate to nominate something from an arranged album I already nominated from, but there are two gems on the album (the other being Mad Buffoon), and I really wanted everyone to hear this. I know it's Sakimoto, but this album should still be obscure enough that it's allowed (and it's not typical Sakimoto).

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Oct 14, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:43 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2007, 09:43 PM #44 of 50
Voting extensions are always okay, providing they're for a reasonable time period. Couple of hours? Sure, go for it. Just let me know beforehand.

And with that, voting is closed and nominations are restricted!

1). [30] Waterworld (SNES Game Rip) - Diving
2). [22] Napple Tale Vol. 2 Illustrated Guide to the Monsters - Wild Wind
3). [18] Ys III Wanderers from Ys (PC-Engine Red Book Audio) - Be Careful
4-t). [16/10.5] Immortal 3 - Obsession 'Desert Run'
4-t). [16/10.5] The Wanderer - G-Comp
6). [14] The Terminator (Sega CD Red Book Audio) - Destinationz Unknown
7). [7] Shining Force III Premium Disc (Game Rip) - A Life of Harmony
8). [4] Lemmings 2 The Tribes (Amiga Game Rip) - Sports

Diving and Wild Wind were pretty much locks wire to wire, but the battle for third place was pretty tight. Be Careful got a big last day boost to finally take the last spot. Close one that came down to the finish.

Most amazing jew boots
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Oct 15, 2007 at 06:35 PM.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:02 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 06:02 PM #45 of 50
Sweet! Gold and in a very tough week with some very high-scoring nominators! Well, I'm glad you fine folks approve of my nomination. Definitely check out the rest of the soundtrack. There's a number of good track there. I particularly fell in love with the Map theme, too. Although, I ultimately went with Diving, being a much fuller and more satisfying experience for me.

Congratulations to Wild Wind and Be Careful. As I've pointed on my other post, those two songs were the first I would have considered for points if I had some to spare.

Btw, I usually don't do so, but I double-checked the points on the voting archive and this caught my eye; there's a small discrepancy between Liontamer's points here and the ones on the table. It won't alter the first 3 placings, but a point needs to be taken off Wild Wind and given to G-Comp, which should give it 4th place instead of Obsession 'Desert Run', if I'm not mistaken. (While we're at it, someone mind confirming how this weighting system works?)

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Oct 15, 2007, 12:57 PM #46 of 50
Wow, 4th or 5th. Now you understand why I quit b4.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:05 PM #47 of 50
EDIT: Misunderstood your post. Apologies, Epsilon.

Regardless of the placing, you can take solace in the fact that some people who didn't know about Desert Run really enjoyed it, and perhaps will now check out the rest of the Immortal 3 album.

Most amazing jew boots
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Oct 15, 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:28 PM #48 of 50
Regardless of the placing, you can take solace in the fact that some people who didn't know about Desert Run really enjoyed it, and perhaps will now check out the rest of the Immortal 3 album.
I don't care about that particular nom. It's the same with all my noms; some seem at first like they might win, but they never do.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:55 PM #49 of 50
Awww, Silver. So close. Definitely not bad but, in any other week, "Wild Wind" could've struck gold. A bit of bad timing that my nomination and all the others came up against the mother of all SNES tracks. I can't argue that "Diving" is undeserving - I mean, even I gave it points and I almost always dislike SNES material - so good job, Draconis.

And Epsilon, you shouldn't feel too poorly. This week was fantastic and I saved the Lemmings track for my own future enjoyment. If this week hadn't been so crammed full of awesome, that Lemmings track would've placed, I'm sure. Far worse has earned Bronze and Silver in the past.

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:49 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 04:49 PM #50 of 50
Btw, I usually don't do so, but I double-checked the points on the voting archive and this caught my eye; there's a small discrepancy between Liontamer's points here and the ones on the table. It won't alter the first 3 placings, but a point needs to be taken off Wild Wind and given to G-Comp, which should give it 4th place instead of Obsession 'Desert Run', if I'm not mistaken. (While we're at it, someone mind confirming how this weighting system works?)
Yeah, I misread Liontamer's point allocation. I always try to double check what's on the table, but sometimes mistakes still get through (thankfully rarely, as far as I know). It's been corrected; thanks for noticing the error.

The bonus point system is pretty simple: a track gets 1 bonus point for each voter who votes for it and an additional .5 bonus points for each 3 awarded to it. In this case, since both Obsession and G-Comp were awarded five 1's, four 2's, and one 3, they both tie at 10.5 bonus points, so we have a tie for fourth place.

I don't care about that particular nom. It's the same with all my noms; some seem at first like they might win, but they never do.
You've gotten several placing tracks, so don't be too discouraged (heck, placing is better than I hope for with some of my noms ). Drakken and GoldfishX went like 80 weeks without getting gold, so they know your pain quite well.

As long as people keep liking your nominations (as was certainly the case this week), just keep them coming. And I'm not just saying this because we're low on nominations.

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 108 Voting/WEEK 109 Nominating