Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Well this doesnt bode well for sharing music...

NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:38 AM #1 of 4
Well this doesnt bode well for sharing music...

Quote:
Breaking: Newly Obtained Homeland Security Documents Reveal Radical Shift In Internet Policy
FIGHT BACK: Internet user arrested for linking to other websites.

Brian McCarthy ran a website, channelsurfing.net, that linked to various sites where you could watch online streams of TV shows and sports networks. A couple months ago, the government seized his domain name and on Friday they arrested him and charged him with criminal copyright infringement -- punishable by five years in prison.

We just obtained a copy of the complaint (below) that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) made against him -- and they don't even allege that he made a copy of anything! Just that he ran what they call a "linking website" which linked to various sites with copyrighted material. Under that sort of thinking, everyone who's sent around a link to a copyrighted YouTube video is a criminal.

This is another shocking overreach by DHS and ICE -- a steamship-era department that's proving once again that it doesn't understand the Internet. We need to push back -- and fast -- before they try to lock up more Americans.

PETITION TO JANET NAPOLITANO, DIRECTOR OF HOMELAND SECURITY, AND JOHN MORTON, DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT: There's nothing wrong or illegal about posting a link to a website. This is another shocking overreach by DHS and ICE: You need to drop the charges against Brian McCarthy right away.
Breaking: Newly Obtained Homeland Security Documents Reveal Radical Shift In Internet Policy | Demand Progress

Jam it back in, in the dark.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2011, 12:08 PM #2 of 4
Pretty sure there's nothing "radical" about this. They've arrested people for linking to copyrighted material before.

I mean, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that this kind of thing happened before a few years ago.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2011, 01:23 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2011, 08:23 PM #3 of 4
I think that was their excuse for like the pirate bay too, even though they only "linked" the stuff.
these laws are really old though..

no homo
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2011, 01:02 PM #4 of 4
Agree with what Sass and Zip said here.

Also - linking to a site called DEMANDPROGRESS is about as opinion-slanted and trust-worthy as Fox News.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Well this doesnt bode well for sharing music...