Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

My equipment is putting out too much heat

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:41 PM #1 of 5
My equipment is putting out too much heat

I don't think this qualifies as a Help Desk thread because there's no actual hardware/software malfunction going on.

I've got three hard drives, two computers, a massive 20in monitor (not the sexy, sleek flat kind... This one is the size of a television) and they're all running pretty much all day. Since one of them is the server running the home network, I find it pretty much unavoidable that it and my perrsonal computer are running. Furthermore, since the three external hard drives contain all of the files I'm sharing, they pretty much have to be up all the time.

But it's hot.

I didn't notice when it was 10-50 degrees farenheit, but now that it's 60-70 degrees outside I'm sweating because my room is way too warm.

Should I buy a mini freezer and store everything inside or what?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:49 PM #2 of 5
Um....I think the heatsink/fan on the processor may be dusty, is the fan really loud? if it is, I'd get some compressed air and clean it out, it may help. Otherwise, you may want to consider purchasing a case fan or two if things get too hot.

Speaking of which, you don't have a Prescott core Pentium 4 do you? If you do, those are always hot. Mine stays on constantly as well, and though I don't have temperature sensors on the processing chip (damn you Dell), I'm sure it's not up at 60-70C....

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:02 PM #3 of 5
Actually, I find the fan is really loud lately. Maybe I'll try to clean it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:22 PM #4 of 5
Usually the most heat comes radiating out of the big CRT monitor. Put your hand on top after it's been running a while. Best thing to do is to get some air circulation in the room. But I agree that you should always keep your fans (and filters if applicable) clean.

Keeping your door open at least a little bit can really help the temperature of a room.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 10:30 PM Local time: Apr 17, 2006, 03:30 AM #5 of 5
If you're concerned about how hot the room is, then I don't think there are many alternatives other than getting in an AC unit or keeping a window open to the outside.

Dusting the components of your computers will help to keep them cooler but make your room hotter (as they'd be more effective at removing heat from inside the case).

I think i'm heading for a similar problem, as my machine will quickly heat up the room since I upgraded it to 4 hard drives and a couple of efficient (read huge) copper heatsinks. It's pretty damn uncomfortable and you don't get AC in the UK as standard. I think a simple floor-standing unit may become necessary.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > My equipment is putting out too much heat