Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Fan Noise. Annoyingly loud, ain't it?

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:25 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2008, 07:25 PM #351 of 836
Probably the biggest thing would be the disclusion of backwards capatibility for PS2 games. But if you don't mind that, then go for it.

FELIPE NO
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 08:26 PM #352 of 836
Probably the biggest thing would be the disclusion of backwards capatibility for PS2 games. But if you don't mind that, then go for it.
Ah. 80GB it is than.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 09:04 PM #353 of 836
I have another question @_@
I plugged in my 80gb usb harddrive into the ps3. It's partitioned into two 40gb halfs but its not detecting the master first half. It only detects the slave second. Why is that o-0?

Most amazing jew boots

New Record!
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 10:06 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2008, 07:06 PM #354 of 836
In the 40GB. You don't get these features;

Cons
- You can't open the Card Slot hatch
- Two USB Ports (you'd need an additional USB adaptor that will feed more controllers and the like)
- You would need a Card Reader USB adaptor to read your SD, Flash or Memory Stick cards

Pros
- Will play PSOne games (stated in Future's PlayStation Magazine)
- Comes with Motorstorm (which's kinda good in a way, though I'm really not into these sports games)

Cons
- Will not play PS2 games

I'd say the 80GB's better

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~

Last edited by Zeta26; Jan 3, 2008 at 10:08 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:19 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2008, 08:19 PM #355 of 836
I have another question @_@
I plugged in my 80gb usb harddrive into the ps3. It's partitioned into two 40gb halfs but its not detecting the master first half. It only detects the slave second. Why is that o-0?
Are both partitioned as FAT32 drives? The Playstation 3 cannot read NTFS drives.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:45 PM #356 of 836
Is there any reason as to why Sony keeps releasing different versions of the PS3 with different sized hard drives? Since the drive is removable, you'd figure that they'd just have one single 20GB version. Although I heard that they were losing tons of money off of that.

Is it just a clever way of ripping people off, since the cost to Sony between a 40GB drive and a 80GB drive is supposedly moot?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:51 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2008, 10:51 PM #357 of 836
I would let that to Cetra (Looks like she/he/it knows this stuff)... but if I had to guess, I would say that they want to confuse the hell out of consumers.

Or maybe to give an easy way to recognize the different versions and -at the same time- "hide" the most relevant differences among them.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Grilled Carrots; Jan 3, 2008 at 11:55 PM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:19 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 12:19 AM 1 #358 of 836
In the 40GB. You don't get these features;

Cons
- You can't open the Card Slot hatch
- Two USB Ports (you'd need an additional USB adaptor that will feed more controllers and the like)
- You would need a Card Reader USB adaptor to read your SD, Flash or Memory Stick cards

Pros
- Will play PSOne games (stated in Future's PlayStation Magazine)
- Comes with Motorstorm (which's kinda good in a way, though I'm really not into these sports games)

Cons
- Will not play PS2 games

I'd say the 80GB's better
Um, let me rephrase that, since you kinda got some stuff wrong.

The 40gb model --

- Does not play PS2 games
- Does not have any card readers
- Comes with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-Ray
- Has two USB ports

The 80gb model --

- Plays PS2 games
- Has SD, Pro Duo and Compact Flash card slots available
- Has 4 USB ports
- Comes with MotorStorm

Both models --

- Play PS1 games
- Have built-in wireless network adapters (wired/wireless connections are user preference)
- Play Blu-Ray discs, obviously. Some people don't know.
- Have a single wireless controller w/charge cable. Again, the more you know~

So there you have it. If you've already got a PS2 then don't spend the extra $100, since that'd be a waste. If you don't, you've two options: go get a used PS2 from somewhere like GameStop for $80 and still save $20, or get the 80gb PS3.

Preferably, if you can still find a 60gb model, buy that one. It's still $500 like the 80gb model, but if you can find one, get that one, since the backwards compatibility is different between the 60gb and the 80gb (hardware vs. software emulation, respectively) models. If you find a 60gb model at GameStop, you can pick your choice of one out of six games to get for free, the newest game being Heavenly Sword. I think that promotion's still running, anyway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 01:00 AM #359 of 836
They were losing a bit more money on the 20 Gig model mostly because by having such drastically different systems, one which uses outdated HDDs (40Gigs is the industry standard low) the effort just wasn't worth the payoff. Especially after considering how few of the 20 Gigs were produced, and then a smaller number of them actually sold.

But yeah, at this point the HDD differences are just there to determine the different models more then anything.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:24 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 11:24 AM #360 of 836
Oh yeah, I mean't that the 80GB has Motorstorm and the 40GB comes with Spider-Man 3. So all in all what you get from both versions kimchi. To rephrase it

40GB - $399 <== If you want extra features - this model wouldn't be your style.

Cons
- You cannot open the Card Slot hatch
- You need to purchase an USB Card adaptor (if you want such features)
- Only 2 USB ports
- PS2 Games not playable (you must get them from the PS Network)
- An additional USB adaptor is required to play such games as;

Rock Band
Guitar Hero III
The Eye of Judgement

Pros
- Comes with Spider-Man 3 Blu-Ray
- Wi-fi networking available (same with 80GB)

---

80GB - $499 <== If you want more out of PS3

Pros
- Comes with Motorstorm Blue-Ray game
- Card Slot hatch can be opened to fit SD, Flash and Memory Stick cards
- 4 USB ports

Cons
- PS2 Games [Limited]

Quote:
- Plays PS2 games
Half right. Future's PlayStation mag states that you can only play some PS2 games as they're limited.

Though Kimchi. Whatever model you pick is up to you.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 03:21 PM #361 of 836
Hell, I am getting "best" (meaning it has most feature) with extra 100 dollars. I will go with it, and its not like I am paying for this.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 03:41 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 10:41 PM #362 of 836
PS2 Games not playable (you must get them from the PS Network)
What?

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:19 PM #363 of 836
Hey guys. Perhaps this is more appropriate news for the media forum, but it seems that Warner has just decided to drop HD-DVD support, and release in DVD and Blu-ray exclusively. This is a huge blow, and will probably decide the outcome of the HDM war.

Just another good reason to own a PS3 and be confident in the investment.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:00 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 05:00 PM #364 of 836
This has been speculated as being a serious possibility over the past few weeks, and I am excited that it has come to be. With rumours circulating that Universal will soon {possibly as soon as CES} announce that it is going to support both formats, hd-dvd will not be able to last much longer.

How ya doing, buddy?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:03 PM #365 of 836
I was thinking of buying a hard drive for my PS3, but I'm not sure if I should get an external one or those 2.5 inch ones. I have the 60gb model, and I have about 23gb of free space which I guess wont be enough in the future with games like Devil May Cry where you have to install 5gb's of data on your PS3. Any suggestions on which one would be better?

I was speaking idiomatically.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2008, 08:29 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 07:29 PM #366 of 836
If you get an internal one, make sure it is not a 7200 rpm drive. They run hotter than the 5400 rpm drives, which is what you should be looking to get if you go the internal route.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:48 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 10:48 PM #367 of 836
If there was any doubt about how big this is:

The party for HD DVD is over, literally | Tech news blog - CNET News.com
http://wesleytech.com/ces-hd-dvd-eve...ouncement/483/

The HI Def war is over, now the war against DVD and other consoles begins... this could be an interesting year for Sony.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Grilled Carrots; Jan 5, 2008 at 12:32 AM.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:05 AM #368 of 836
Assuming that HD-DVD really does tank, I'll be very sad to see it go. The technology was definitely solid, and it would have been interesting to see what it might have evolved into.

Other than seeing shelves of blue cases, I don't really have a problem with Blu-ray taking over DVD's spot, but it really does need a lot of work when it comes with elaborate menu trees and interactivity. I couldn't imagine something like Bourne Supremacy on Blu-ray right now, although I'm sure that the new profile makes it all possible.

The HD-DVD group did make a lot of stupid mistakes though, like pushing combo discs, rarely initiating any kind of sales, thin advertising, etc. I'm just interested to see what Paramount does now, since a lot of money was involved when they agreed to be HD-DVD exclusive.

Most amazing jew boots
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Jan 5, 2008, 12:31 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 11:31 PM #369 of 836
I'll just repeat some stuff I read earlier, but basically several so-called-experts claim that this is it. (I would put the sauce, but AVS and pretty much any other relevant A/V forum is impossible to check right now)

Anyways, if this is really IT... let's hope blue ray will turn as a fine format and proper match for the DVD. (Because this new war looks very very long)

And in my opinion, both formats had everything to make a fine predecessor, but we all knew/wanted/needed only 1 format.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Grilled Carrots; Jan 5, 2008 at 12:34 AM.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 01:05 AM Local time: Jan 5, 2008, 01:05 AM #370 of 836
Assuming that HD-DVD really does tank, I'll be very sad to see it go. The technology was definitely solid, and it would have been interesting to see what it might have evolved into.

Other than seeing shelves of blue cases, I don't really have a problem with Blu-ray taking over DVD's spot, but it really does need a lot of work when it comes with elaborate menu trees and interactivity. I couldn't imagine something like Bourne Supremacy on Blu-ray right now, although I'm sure that the new profile makes it all possible.

The HD-DVD group did make a lot of stupid mistakes though, like pushing combo discs, rarely initiating any kind of sales, thin advertising, etc. I'm just interested to see what Paramount does now, since a lot of money was involved when they agreed to be HD-DVD exclusive.
While I have no idea which HD format is superior, I am kind of glad that this war will soon be over. I can't imagine how multiple formats benefit consumers.

Anyways, I also read that Paramounts HD-DVD exclusive contract ends in 2009, so I wonder what will happen then.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 02:07 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2008, 11:07 PM #371 of 836
Paramount's contract has an exit clause. There are rumors now that they are going to announce a break-away at CES as well now. This is looking like the end of HD-DVD for sure. Hopefully now HDM can finally focus on gaining market from DVD.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 04:53 AM #372 of 836
That's really going to suck for all thoes people who invested in HD-DVD though.

I'm pretty sure that if the 360 had an HD-DVD drive in it from launch that the format war would have totally gone in the other direction.

Guess Sony were keeping all the PS3 games locked away until consumers won them the format war. Well we did our part. Now where's Shadow of the Colossus 2?

How ya doing, buddy?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 08:36 AM #373 of 836
Shadow of the colossus really felt like a one time game. If the the Ico team does work on a another game it's more possible that there would be an Ico 2 with the kid being a little older but even then I think they would just create a completely new game that would tie in the story between ico and shadow of the colossus.
Whatever they decided to do I know it'll be must-have.

And blue ray now controlling 70% of the market really does seem like a defeat for the hd-dvd player owners the only good part about this is if the hd-dvd really does throw in the tower, we'll be seeing plenty of promotions so that they can get rid of all the extra players and dvd's that they have but then after that whats left? :/

How ya doing, buddy?

New Record!
Chip
SquareEnix's #1 Whore

Member 1989

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 09:39 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2008, 10:39 AM #374 of 836
Ooh, I didnt know that Uncharted: Drakes Fortune demo has vibration support Nice!

Wait, I just got folklore and it has vibration support too I wonder when Tekken Dark Resurrection will have vibration support? And Assassins Creed

PSN: Squareh00r

Last edited by Chip; Jan 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM.
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:49 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2008, 08:49 PM #375 of 836
Just what I said. You technically can't play PS2 games directly (only PSOne games). You have to download them from the PS Network Store. Like what you do with the Virtual Console games on the Wii Shop Channel.

80GB though, however, suggests that only some PS2 games you can play directly. As it's still limited.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Fan Noise. Annoyingly loud, ain't it?