Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

So - have you been told that you have an accent?

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2007, 10:37 PM #26 of 93
I have no idea why you Texans and shit think "coke" is unique to your area. Up here in the entire northeast (not just New England), we all say "coke." In fact, I was under the impression that only the midwest and surrounding areas say "pop."

I have a pretty notable accent, when I get angry or loud. I try to repress it most times, since it can make a person look shitty when they say "wheah ah ya pahkin' d'cah?" Not too classy. ^_^

But yea, I've got the accent.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2007, 11:32 PM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 04:32 AM #27 of 93
I have an accent - like every human being does. Specifically, I like my drinks shaken, not stirred if you catch my drift >_>. When i'm happy or otherwise being loud, i'll break into a far more local Shropshire accent that some americans confuse with a London accent for some strange reason. I also find myself subconciously adapting my accent to match the people around me depending on which part of the country i'm in; it is a reflex that has evolved I think to help people with very thick local accents understand me better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:08 AM Local time: Jan 2, 2007, 09:08 PM #28 of 93
I have no idea why you Texans and shit think "coke" is unique to your area. Up here in the entire northeast (not just New England), we all say "coke." In fact, I was under the impression that only the midwest and surrounding areas say "pop."
Californians say "coke", too, though I hear "soda" the most. Never "pop", though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:14 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 02:14 PM #29 of 93
People ask me where I'm from every once and a while. Although, rarely do they identify my slight accent as anything. Normally, I'm asked if I come from more northern regions, or am told I speak to proper to be from this region. I guess that would be a complement.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:28 AM #30 of 93
I have a typical Michigan nasaly voice/fast talking. There's some website out there that describes how people from Michigan talk. I never realized the accent until I saw that site, and I definitely follow that description.

Here's the site that describes how people from around here talk.
http://www.michigannative.com/ma_home.shtml

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by TheKnightOfNee; Jan 3, 2007 at 12:33 AM.
kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:49 AM Local time: Jan 2, 2007, 07:49 PM #31 of 93
I've been told that I have a "lack" of an accent, apparently. Everyone expects me to speak Hawaiian-Pidgin and say "braddah" and shit all the time. I grew up learning perfect English in school so I don't really speak Pidgin outside of my own home if I can help it. If anything, it's your standard "mainland" English + common local loan words from other languages like Japanese or Filipino. I totally know I have a Pidgin accent when I speak to my parents, I just snuff it whenever I'm elsewhere. And I look local, so whenever I go out somewhere like the post office, the person at the desk always hears me speak and exclaims "wow, you're so well-spoken! Are you from here??" and I get a typical NO WAI response when I inform them that I was born and raised here. Funny to see people respond that way, if not embarrassing.

When I talk to people from the internet on the phone, they're disappointed that I have no accent. Then they ask me to say something in Pidgin, and I feel weird saying it and then it comes out weird, because I feel like I'm just forcing myself to do it. Just an odd thing with me. The same thing happens if they ask me to say some crazy combo of swear words. Just won't happen if I have to do it on cue.

FELIPE NO
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 01:00 AM #32 of 93
Despite never having been told I have an accent, I notice myself when I speak sometimes that 1 in like 500 words comes out with a filipino tinge, despite not knowing a how to properly speak tagalog. This happens especially when I'm speaking too fast, too excitedly, or saying too much at once. I attribute it to my parent's use of tagalog when talking to each other and all the exposure, despite never making an attempt to speak it.

ADD: I probably also have a Canadian accent. Just reminded me of when I saw a video in Linguistics last year. Apparently Canadians don't produce certain sounds as hard as Americans do. Eg. "about" We apparently sound like we are saying "aboot" since Canadians don't pronounce the "OW" as hard.

My friend speaks fluent English and Vietnamese, and once in a while I notice her a's have a slight accent to them, being pronounced as in the relaxing kind of "ah" but not as noticeable. She doesn't notice it herself though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Summonmaster; Jan 3, 2007 at 01:06 AM.
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:25 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 01:25 AM #33 of 93
I've mostly got the standard US television accent. Having grown up in New Jersey, New York, and Virginia, and having been around people with many different accents, I guess I just pulled through with the boring stuff. Having all that around me means I can (on a good day) pull off some halfway decent mimicry.

People in Utah say "pop" for everything. From the mappings I've seen, "coke" is predominantly southern with a strong front in part of New England, "pop" is mostly midwest through to about Nevada, and "soda" is strongest in the non-coke parts of New England (including most of New York), California, and most of the east coast through to about South Carolina (and much of Florida). I wonder where that polling site went; it was quite informative.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:51 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 01:51 AM #34 of 93
Originally Posted by Fricasseein' Rabbit
From the mappings I've seen, "coke" is predominantly southern with a strong front in part of New England, "pop" is mostly midwest through to about Nevada, and "soda" is strongest in the non-coke parts of New England (including most of New York), California, and most of the east coast through to about South Carolina (and much of Florida). I wonder where that polling site went; it was quite informative.
Was is something like this website or even this more comprehensive map?

Though I must say, maybe we're in for another dialect migration.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 02:59 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2007, 12:59 AM #35 of 93
I have no idea why you Texans and shit think "coke" is unique to your area.
In California we say "coke" too, but in that case we're rarely referring to a soft drink.

That reminds me... The girl I dated in college used to refer to ALL soft drinks as "sodapop", which is something she got from reading The Outsiders in the 6th grade and never really grew out of.

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2007, 04:33 AM #36 of 93
Accent? No, but Philadelphians pronounce certain words differently than everyone like water.

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 07:18 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 05:18 PM #37 of 93
Filipino accent. Sounds awfully funny at times and am proud of it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 08:09 PM #38 of 93
Whenever I'm around the local flavor, Nobody seems to bring it up but I know they notice my northern accent. I've refused to assimilate the southern accent. Of course I could be just saying BS, but I still refuse to assimilate the accent.

Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Dewman
Your time freezing device is rusty

Member 1109

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:30 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 12:30 PM #39 of 93
I didn't think I had an Australian accent, but I was told I had one by people with American ones.

However, I have a Canto accent when I speak Mando and a Mando accent when I speak Canto. Go figure

FELIPE NO
Tomahawk
Toma

Member 17600

Level 6.82

Dec 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:40 PM #40 of 93
Apparently, us people from CT are supposed to have 'the closest thing to proper English' for our accent... I don't know if that's right, but I've been told that my accent consists of actually pronouncing all of my words, especially letters that can be slurred... like 'T's. Rather than saying 'Wanna go here?' I unconsciously take the time to say 'Want to go here?'

Though since going to school, I've been known to mimic some of my friend's Boston accents... "I'm gonna go paaaaak the caaaaa."
LOL - I love that Boston (or is it NYC?) accent. My brother in-law and sister bought a new car, and negotiated a 5 year bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage with this 35 yr old woman - policy maker at the Toyota dealership. Her accent came out after a few sentences, but I loved it.

As far as I know, I don't have an accent. I have a dull, boring, American english voice that sounds too plain. Go me!
Hope if I ever move to a different country (preferrably Australia), I'll have guys and girls asking me where I'm from alot. I could form an accent if I wanted to, but what the hell for?

And for the record, I hate the southern accent. God, I've been prejudiced into thinking Texans and such are just dumber by the way they talk - which of course isn't true - its just a damn flaw of mine.

Last edited by Tomahawk; Jan 4, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
Yunnie
Mizzou Tiger

Member 728

Level 6.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:53 PM Local time: Jan 4, 2007, 08:53 PM #41 of 93
Well, English being my second language, I'm told that I have an accent (of course, told by native speakers). But I have also gotten comments about how there's barely an accent in my speech by a few teachers and friends too.

The part I was wondering is:
Since I live in Midwest (Missouri), people in the west coast or south said I have a midwest accent, which, I do not understand the difference between midwest and west coast accents...

xen0phobia
Chocobo

Member 503

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jan 4, 2007, 10:27 PM #42 of 93
I have the most american/white sounding voice you could ever have. It's so neutral it's almost annoying. I swear i stuggle understanding anyone with an accent, and it's embarrassing because it's like "what?" every other sentence. I'm in the north-east by the way.

Quote:
And for the record, I hate the southern accent. God, I've been prejudiced into thinking Texans and such are just dumber by the way they talk - which of course isn't true - its just a damn flaw of mine.
Me too! I can't stand the way my grandparents talk. God i feel sorry for southerners who come up north.

Quote:
I have no idea why you Texans and shit think "coke" is unique to your area.
Man, who says that crap? Lets be honest... its called a soft drink(best), soda(2nd), or pop(3rd). Not coke.

Last edited by xen0phobia; Jan 4, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
pianoluvr42
HP Freak

Member 17869

Level 1.34

Jan 2007

Old Jan 5, 2007, 07:34 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2007, 04:34 PM #43 of 93
Talking

[QUOTE=XSO;355745]Apparently I've been told I have a "posh london" accent. >_> I'm "well spoken" apparently and someone from the US who I spoke to thinks my English accent is awesome. @_@

I love English accents. They are so amAzing! I have loved England since I was a kid. If I wasn't in America, I'd be in England. That's my phrase and it's true. Most of my ancestors came from England. I LOVE English accents. That's why I like my men British. I'm sorry I had to say that. I'm completely obsessed with Harry Potter. The guys ar so amazingly Hot!

Accents are a weird thing. To you, you don't have an accent because that's what you're used to. But to others it's different because they are not used to the way you speak. I'm From California, so hearing some one frome Texas or New York speak is an accent to me because that's not what I'm used to hearing.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to delete my account. Please and Thank You.

SenorKaffee
Cry mich ein river

Member 422

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:19 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 09:19 AM #44 of 93
When I speak English I have a german accent. It´s not really nazi villain english because I´m pretty used to speak english at work.

So for my German. I live in the Ruhr area of Germany and we actually have a pretty nice accent here. So, yes, I have been told that I have an accent once or twice - but only when I speak with other people from the "Ruhrpott". We have a collection of words noone else uses.

Some sound vagualy english, like "Pömms" instead of pumps, and most can be explained by the images you get in your head. Like "Luftkotelett" - "Air Cutlet" for a slim person or child.

Let me verkasematuckel you the link to a dictionary, you old Kamuffels.
http://ruhrgebietssprache.de/glossar.html

Everything´s getting better.
Nothing´s getting good.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:25 AM #45 of 93
Saying coke for soda is incorrect. Coke is short for a name of a company (coca-cola). Saying soda or pop is fine, but saying coke is quite annoying IMO.

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:27 AM #46 of 93
I don't exactly have an accent, but i've been told by other New Jerseyans that I picked up the New Jersey accent. We tend to say words with a somewhat long emphasis...

Like water... Normally pronounced with emphasis in "ah", NJ said pronounced with emphasis on the "awe". Same thing with ball and a couple of other ah/awe words... <_<

As far as that Coke thing is going, how is it possible to refer to hundreds of other soft drinks saying coke anyway? Is it supposed to be referenced to Cola or something? I don't get it.

Last edited by Chaotic; Jan 6, 2007 at 03:29 AM.
DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:30 AM #47 of 93
Philadelphians are the only people to say "wooder" for water. Everyone thinks it sounds weird that is from out of town, but to most Philadelphians "wahter" sounds weird and to me sounds a little pretentious, although I know it isn't.

FELIPE NO
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 03:42 AM #48 of 93
Just reading it makes me think it's a little weird. But i've never heard of it being said like that.

Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 12:12 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2007, 11:12 AM #49 of 93
I like how a word, all alone, can sound pretentious to someone!

I have a standard English sound, commonly known as bottlenose smooth, and have greatly destroyed the slight Spanish accent I had growing up as a child briefly learning two languages at once.

In Spanish, however, I am ridiculed for my accent, commonly known as "stupid gringo trash" accent.

Acacia
Chocobo

Member 1401

Level 12.13

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2007, 01:14 PM #50 of 93
When I speak Korean, I have a really bad English/foreign accent. Actually, I think my Japanese sounds better than my Korean (which is horrible)

I've lived in Colorado most of my life, and I've noticed that, when I travel somewhere else, no one really says that I have an accent. I think Coloradoians (how the fuck do you spell that?) typically don't have super-noticeable accents.

I do stutter sometimes though -_-;;

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > So - have you been told that you have an accent?