Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Straight edge or not?

blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:52 PM #26 of 92
I dunno... most kids I know who are "straight edge" aren't that way to be cool or be part of a movement. They do it because they were raised that way... just as many non-straight edge kids were raised in a more lax environment.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 07:54 PM #27 of 92
Originally Posted by nabhan
That's what I've been trying to say ;___;

Point 1, and completely irrelevant to this topic:

The people who started it saw firsthand how alcohol and drugs could fuck people up, or experienced it themselves. They made a conscious decision to avoid that stuff for their own health. What it transformed into is utterly ridiculous:

a) As devo said, a bunch of prudish assholes.
b) Rich, white suburbanites trying to be cool and in da scene!!!1.
c) Hardline militants basically who start shit when people are drinking.

Point 2~

Being edge is a decision that you make. It's not really a byproduct of not drinking, smoking, or doing drugs. If someone was once an alcoholic and decides to give all that up, it's not like they're "not allowed" to go edge. Straight Edge is an effort to abstain, and you DECIDE that you're edge.

I guess it's sort of hard to explain how I see it. I don't drink, do drugs, smoke, and haven't had sex, but I don't think I'll ever declare myself edge.
Ok, now that I have a better idea of what it is, I think I'll just claim to be a good girl and not edge.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 09:01 PM #28 of 92
Originally Posted by blue
I dunno... most kids I know who are "straight edge" aren't that way to be cool or be part of a movement. They do it because they were raised that way... just as many non-straight edge kids were raised in a more lax environment.
I know what you mean. There are lots of people who go edge for a healthier lifestyle or ethics or whatever. I just think the term has become jaded, and to me doesn't mean too much. Especially when the sXe kids push their lifestyle, or vice versa.

;_;

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:06 PM #29 of 92
Originally Posted by nabhan
I know what you mean. There are lots of people who go edge for a healthier lifestyle or ethics or whatever. I just think the term has become jaded, and to me doesn't mean too much. Especially when the sXe kids push their lifestyle, or vice versa.

;_;
Yeah, I think I get what you're saying. As for me, though, I'm straight edge due to being raised by ridiculously conservative parents. I wasn't allowed to say "gosh" or "gee." I was barely ever allowed to watch TV, either.

It took me a while, but I'm beginning to mellow a bit more.

I was speaking idiomatically.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:09 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 05:09 PM #30 of 92
Anyone who pushes their lifestyle is jaded.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:29 PM #31 of 92
I'm totally straight edge. I've never felt/had the need to smoke and drink. Maybe I would have succumbed from peer pressure, but luckily all of my friends were straight edge too.

I'm not a vegetarian though, but I am a virgin, if that means anything.

FELIPE NO

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 08:39 PM #32 of 92
Absolutely "straight edge".

No drugs and no desire to even try, as I have the perception that they'll mess up my life and become an addiction. Gaming, anime and piano are probably the closest thing to drugs I'll ever bother with 8-)

No alcohol because I think it smells nasty and will probably taste gross. I laugh at all my friends who get drunk and black out after parties, and they laugh at me trying to picture me drunk. Evidently, both sides are cool.

No sex with others...Wouldn't want to risk an std, not that I could get anyone in bed >_>

I don't really party much, since I don't enjoy dancing, and my parents would be rather outraged if I stayed out past 11 or so at best.

I don't smoke by picking up cigarettes or buying them. I get enough second-hand smoke from just walking outside around Hamilton, thank you very much.

I'm not a vegetarian, and I love meat. Just not the yucky slimy fatty parts that feel like it wasn't quite cooked.

I guess the most straight-edge part is that I don't rebel or defy my parents, especially since I have no reason to.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:06 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 08:06 PM #33 of 92
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Absolutely "straight edge".

No drugs and no desire to even try, as I have the perception that they'll mess up my life and become an addiction. Gaming, anime and piano are probably the closest thing to drugs I'll ever bother with 8-)

No alcohol because I think it smells nasty and will probably taste gross. I laugh at all my friends who get drunk and black out after parties, and they laugh at me trying to picture me drunk. Evidently, both sides are cool.

No sex with others...Wouldn't want to risk an std, not that I could get anyone in bed >_>

I don't really party much, since I don't enjoy dancing, and my parents would be rather outraged if I stayed out past 11 or so at best.

I don't smoke by picking up cigarettes or buying them. I get enough second-hand smoke from just walking outside around Hamilton, thank you very much.

I'm not a vegetarian, and I love meat. Just not the yucky slimy fatty parts that feel like it wasn't quite cooked.

I guess the most straight-edge part is that I don't rebel or defy my parents, especially since I have no reason to.
You seem to have totally ignored all of nabhan's posts. Straight-edge isn't about what you do, it's about why you do what you do. Not liking alcohol "because it smells gross" has absolutely nothing to do with straight edge.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 09:44 PM #34 of 92
Well not just because it smells gross, but also, I don't think I would enjoy having no recollection and blacking out, or inadvertently saying things while I was drunk so I don't wish to pursue drinking. I'm also afraid I might become an addict and I would start liking it.

Of course I know with condoms, although I keep hearing stories about how condoms aren't apparently 100% foolproof so that's scared me into not doing it. Plus, chances are if I would screw someone she'd be the type that had slept around and would only be doing it with me to see my take on it.
I guess moreso than anything else though, I don't want to be perceived as a guy that would sleep around a lot. Plus, the whole wait until you're married thing.

blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:55 PM #35 of 92
Okay, you people are definitely getting too stuck on the definition of straight edge.

ALL I MEAN IT AS IS SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T DRINK, SMOKE, OR DO DRUGS!!! Sex optional.

Geez, why you hafta make things so complicated? I'll make up a new word for it, if you'd like.

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:42 PM #36 of 92
Plus, chances are if I would screw someone she'd be the type that had slept around and would only be doing it with me to see my take on it.
Christ almighty, kid. You maen to tell us you're only sexually attracted to whores, but yet whores inexperienced enough to find something exciting in a one night stand with a virgin?

I mean, it's not like I'm trying to convince you that it's wrong for you to not be sexually active yet. But you do know that girls are people too, right?

Going on a tangent, I hate this kind of rationalization. It's okay that you don't want to drink, we don't care. But you say that you fear that you won't have enough self-control that you'll get rip-roaring drunk. You say that you fear the girls you are sexually attracted to are whores. You feel that your liking something is the same as your being addicted to it. You're 18 or so now, you mean to tell me you haven't developed one single trait of self-preservation? If that's the case, that is something you need to address, and immediately.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:47 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 10:47 PM #37 of 92
Originally Posted by a lurker
I mean, it's not like I'm trying to convince you that it's wrong for you to not be sexually active yet. But you do know that girls are people too, right?
This brood almost never does, Lurks.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:04 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 10:04 PM #38 of 92
I don't do drugs out of choice and alcohol and cigarettes. However I have smoked just because and I do social drinking. I enjoy tequila, some beers and Mike's Hard Lemonade. I'm even willing to try other drinks. So for those reasons I'm not straight-edge. I wouldn't associate myself with scene regardless as I hate the stereotypical person involved and the music as well. I don't care if people drink to get drunk, I've done it twice and didn't enjoy it. Regardless, fuck straight-edge.

Cadenza
-

Member 5445

Level 5.11

Apr 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:56 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 05:56 PM #39 of 92
Whats the point in just intentionally not drinking alcoholic drinks purely for the sake of not drinking alcoholic drinks?

Do people do it because they feel "morally superior" by not ingesting ethanol? how does that make sense?

Do people do it because they were taught not to? Do they not question why they were taught this? Because it really doesn't make any sense...

someone explain :/

How ya doing, buddy?
starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 01:11 PM #40 of 92
Originally Posted by Cadenza
Whats the point in just intentionally not drinking alcoholic drinks purely for the sake of not drinking alcoholic drinks?

Do people do it because they feel "morally superior" by not ingesting ethanol? how does that make sense?

Do people do it because they were taught not to? Do they not question why they were taught this? Because it really doesn't make any sense...

someone explain :/
Have you read any of the posts in this topic? They're full of different reasons why people don't drink. Check them out.

Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 01:29 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 01:29 PM #41 of 92
I don't consider myself straight edge. I think in order for someone to classify as such, you make it a point in your everyday life to follow straight edge things. Otherwise you can consider an entire bible study group straight edge when in fact they're not really. I am raised in a conservative household so I did not drink, smoke, or do drugs. Until college I began to drink casually and rarely with friends. I don't like the taste, but I do it to feel the buzz.

The first time I heard of the term was from a friend who lived up north. I never heard of it used ever, so when I first heard him say he was I was like come again? Anyway, the way he explained it to me was that he didn't do drugs, smoke, drink, etc. But he does have sex so I guess sex doesn't factor into the straight edge thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:07 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 11:07 AM #42 of 92
Consider me "straight edge" is I guess what I can say. I never smoked or drank, mostly because I have been around way to many people who have and saw how they turned out to be, and I wanted to be the complete opposite of a drunken stoner who banged chicks because I could. Although I know that last part has nothing to do with being straight edge.

Take this keycard, you can unlock the doors in the hall with this. Now GO!...JUST go!
A hero that lived long enough to see himself become the villain.
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:36 PM #43 of 92
Originally Posted by a lurker
Christ almighty, kid. You maen to tell us you're only sexually attracted to whores, but yet whores inexperienced enough to find something exciting in a one night stand with a virgin?
Not quite. I just meant that would probably the only kind of girl that would even bother with me, apart from someone who actually would like me. My taste is not so unique that a certain kind of whore appeals to me. Though, for clearance, I'm pretty sure my reason now is that I do indeed want to wait for marriage. I don't want to sleep around with others, really.

Concerning self-preservation, I've already formed the mindset that however strong my will not to pursue something like alcohol or smoking might be, there might be something about it that makes so many people addicted to it. Although, maybe chronic alcoholics or smokers have no self-preservation about them. If I start, then there's no absolute guarantee that I can stop regardless of whether I like it or not, the degree of difficulty is indeterminate as of now, and that's why I'd rather not do it.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Summonmaster; Aug 3, 2006 at 02:39 PM.
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 02:44 PM #44 of 92
Well said, Summonmaster.

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 09:08 PM #45 of 92
Not quite. I just meant that would probably the only kind of girl that would even bother with me, apart from someone who actually would like me.
Well, there's the rub, I guess. For most people, the only sex they get is with people who like them, or with people who like everyone. that's a far cry from "the only girls I'd sleep with are the kind who'd sleep around."

Quote:
If I start, then there's no absolute guarantee that I can stop regardless of whether I like it or not, the degree of difficulty is indeterminate as of now, and that's why I'd rather not do it.
It's not heroin, but okay, no skin off my nose if you don't toast the new year.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Aug 3, 2006, 07:47 PM #46 of 92
Of course I know with condoms, although I keep hearing stories about how condoms aren't apparently 100% foolproof so that's scared me into not doing it.

I can't believe I missed this the first time over. Of course condoms aren't 100% foolproof, but they're 99% effective at stopping pregnancies and transfering STDs. If you want to have sex, there is a very slim chance, which would amount to nil of you getting anything if you use protection. There are of course more than just condoms out there to aid in deterring pregnancy and STDs. Do a little bit more research before you succumb to ignorance and go off of horror stories.

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:21 PM #47 of 92
If I start, then there's no absolute guarantee that I can stop regardless of whether I like it or not, the degree of difficulty is indeterminate as of now, and that's why I'd rather not do it.
I'm gonna have to agree with lurker on this argument.

If fear of losing control is the ONLY reason an individual chooses not to try something like drinking, smoking or drugs then you might as well just stop there. With that low level of self control, how can you play videogames or watch TV? If you dont have any faith in your self control, then thats just a sign of a lack of will power. These addictions don't take place immeadiate and are slow and gradual. There are far better reasons to not try things out than a misplaced "fear."

-------

I have respect for straight edges, dont get me wrong. My parents are immigrants from Korea and my brother is a workaholic health nut. When I first started trying illicit things out, it was definitely a different experience. The decision to be straight edge is perfectly fine. You save money and avoid the risk of addiction and health problems. But I only respect your decision if they have a strong moral conviction. For example, if you come from a family with a history of drug addiction, then don't do drugs. If you grandparents all died from lung cancer, don't smoke. I can respect that decision. I will not force my lifestyle onto you. The problem is every straight edge I've met has tried to tell me to stop. In fact, every straight edge I've met also carries this false sense of "superiority" because they are clean and untainted. Doing drugs and drinking don't make me better than you but also the other way around. Don't try to push your life style to me. Just don't do it. Different strokes for different folks. Try to accept the fact that there are people who think, act and feel differently than yourself.

About sex. If you are that worried about catching an STD, wear a condom and ask your partner if they have it. In fact, get tested yourself. Once again, if you choose to stay celebate til marriage, good for you. Just be prepared to defend your decision well.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by THIEF; Aug 3, 2006 at 10:24 PM.
blue
blue

Member 6459

Level 22.39

May 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:31 PM #48 of 92
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
The problem is every straight edge I've met has tried to tell me to stop. In fact, every straight edge I've met also carries this false sense of "superiority" because they are clean and untainted. Doing drugs and drinking don't make me better than you but also the other way around. Don't try to push your life style to me. Just don't do it.
Hyyyyde!

I hope you don't feel that way about me.

I'll admit that it can be tough, though. Those of us who were raised conservatively were taught that those things are bad, not to hang around kids who do that, etc. We were taught--however subtly--to dislike kids who weren't "straight edge." I've had to pull myself out of that rut--something that my parents never did. Sometimes I think it's a lack of compassion; sometimes I wonder if it's just how they were raised. People were a lot less "tolerant" back in the day.

At any rate, I think that's why so many straight edge kids come off as so high and mighty. I really hope that I'm not one of them--or at the very least, that I am improving rapidly.

On the other other hand, some people might try to convince you to stop because they care about you and think it's what's best. I'd like to make sure that case is distinct from the "better-than-you" case.

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:35 PM #49 of 92
Hyyyyde!

I hope you don't feel that way about me.
No, I dont. You're cool.

I'll admit that it can be tough, though. Those of us who were raised conservatively were taught that those things are bad, not to hang around kids who do that, etc. We were taught--however subtly--to dislike kids who weren't "straight edge." I've had to pull myself out of that rut--something that my parents never did. Sometimes I think it's a lack of compassion; sometimes I wonder if it's just how they were raised. People were a lot less "tolerant" back in the day.
It can be tough if you have a strict upbringing. I did too. I understand. But I think everyone should learn to be tolerant. Upbringing aside, tolerance is something everyone should be taught or develop themselves.

At any rate, I think that's why so many straight edge kids come off as so high and mighty. I really hope that I'm not one of them--or at the very least, that I am improving rapidly.

On the other other hand, some people might try to convince you to stop because they care about you and think it's what's best. I'd like to make sure that case is distinct from the "better-than-you" case.
Its very easy for a not-straight edge person to tell if someone is being "high and mighty" and when they are trying to be caring friends. Quite easy infact.

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2006, 03:31 PM #50 of 92
Originally Posted by Hydelloon
If fear of losing control is the ONLY reason an individual chooses not to try something like drinking, smoking or drugs then you might as well just stop there. With that low level of self control, how can you play videogames or watch TV? If you dont have any faith in your self control, then thats just a sign of a lack of will power. These addictions don't take place immeadiate and are slow and gradual. There are far better reasons to not try things out than a misplaced "fear."

No, not the only reason. I just plain don't feel the need to try drugs, alcohol, or smoking. I have other ways to spend my time that are more conventional. I know you could obviously make a case that something like watching TV excessively, is just as bad for your eyes as smoking excessively is bad for your lungs. However, I just don't want to try it out period, and lack of control is one of a few factors to note, but definitely not the sole reason.

The case was made earlier that people won't exactly love drinking after just their first drink. They could have hated that one drink, but then were just a bit curious to see why people seem to love drinking, and then they could discover: "oh I don't like the drink, I just like chatting with friends with a drink in hand." Then from that, it obviously changes a person. If that person starts to the love the idea of having a drink in hand, and decides that they need a drink in hand each time they chat with friends, then that person is obviously different from their previous self before trying out drinking.

I'm not saying that will happen, but it's just an elaborate scenario that is one of a possible many. Just to reinforce my point that I'm fine with who I am, and one of the reasons is that I don't want to change as a result of trying something that could be life-altering (even though there is obviously also the possibility that it won't be). After all, drugs, alcohol, and smoking seem to be big topics on their own, and we probably wouldn't include them in our discussion if they weren't such a big deal in some way.

Last edited by Summonmaster; Aug 4, 2006 at 03:34 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Straight edge or not?