Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Cellphones

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 10:15 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 11:45 PM #26 of 44
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
I just can't picture why almost every other class, someone's cell phone goes off and it's on max ringer. That bugs me to no end, and people could really wait until 20-30 after every hour when no one has class or is on their way to class. None of those calls made are ever urgent or anything, and it's really bothersome.
Cellphones in class

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 02:06 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 08:06 AM #27 of 44
I think it is a bit problematic to think that cellphones are annoying in times when almost everyone got one.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SenorKaffee
Cry mich ein river

Member 422

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:17 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 12:17 PM #28 of 44
I have a cellphone from work, a Nokia 6230i, on work hours I have to keep it on, but because noone really cares I also use it as a private phone. Normally it´s in "Silence" mode - I miss a few calls this way but it´s your own fault when you don´t send your number and I can´t call you back.

What bothers me in the office is when people forget to take their cellphones with them. So they are in a meeting or on lunch break or getting a coffee and the phone is ringing and you don´t really know what to do about it.

But the most annoying use of cellphones is using them to hear music in public. So you have three or four girls listening to charts music in the bus or boys listening to stupid german Gangsta music or turkish pop that sounds like recorded from the radio with the crappy built-in mic. It´s extra-annoying just because of the sound quality that makes your ears bleed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Everything´s getting better.
Nothing´s getting good.
doodle
fingertips

Member 579

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 12:44 PM #29 of 44
Cellphones are invaluable, I think. But again, I don't use mine for yapping so much as I use it for being able to get in contact with anyone while I'm anywhere.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 05:44 PM #30 of 44
I agree with what you have said, cell phones are a large disturbance, especially in the class room. Every day I'm in class, at least two cell phones go off breaking everyones concentration and line of thought. There are some people that don't care... but you have to be considerate of those that do, and are in the classroom to learn. Another annoyance is in personal conversation. I can't count the number of times I've been in the middle of a meaningful conversation with someone when their cell phone went off and disrupted it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2006, 08:11 PM #31 of 44
Originally Posted by Chibi Neko
Now I just wish all my professors would do that, and back themselves up with the reasoning that it was disruptive and had no place in the classroom. Very nice .

FELIPE NO
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 03:30 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 01:30 AM #32 of 44
Hm. The only problem I see with cell phones is that it seems like people's lives are dominated by them. I understand if your job requires you to be on call or whatever, but honestly, cell phone's are basically for convenience. If they start being anything less than that, then turn it off.

That and horrible ring tones.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
ionuk tomb
Ionuk_Tomb

Member 13311

Level 8.35

Sep 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 03:54 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 02:54 AM #33 of 44
In my first year in uni I was paying $45 just for basic LAN line access. In the 2nd year, I got a cellphone and will never go back. I am paying $42 a month on the cell with lots of minutes and caller ID. The biggest problem I have with cells is that they get abused. During my 3rd year at uni, I was almost hit twice by two people talking on their cells while driving. In retrospect, I should have opened their driver door and grabbed the cell and crushed it on the pavement. Ontario is actually considering banning cell phone use among teens while driving....wish they would apply it to the whole population.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:39 AM #34 of 44
Originally Posted by Summonmaster
Now I just wish all my professors would do that, and back themselves up with the reasoning that it was disruptive and had no place in the classroom. Very nice .
I would hope that this would be a "rule" in college just like it was when I was in high school. That is extremely rude.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:21 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 08:21 PM #35 of 44
I have excellent luck with mobile phones in that they never fucking work. I've owned a whopping four (that's more than three!) phones over the years, each one doesn't seem to bother letting whoever's trying to ring through. I'll get home and there's messages on the machine, "HAY BUH WHAT I TRIED TO CALL YOU BUT YOU'RE PHONE'S BUSTED". Don't let me near your phones, I'll break them with magic too.

I don't mind if people want to yell until they get a heart attack out in public though, it can be pretty entertaining.

"CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? HOW ABOUT NOW? HOW ABO-HELLO? ARE YOU THE-OH! HOW ABOUT NOW? HANG ON I'M GONNA STICK MY HEAD OUT THE WINDOW, HOW ABOoAUUUUUUUUGGGHHHHhhhh"

Shifty
Wark!

Member 1495

Level 2.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:33 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 08:03 PM #36 of 44
Much like the Simpsons joke about Skinner being told to not go through so many tunnels by his mother, my friends have turned it into a coded farewell when we have to hang up quickly. "Going through a tunnel. Seeya later." which quickly degenerated into "TUNNELTUNNELTUNNEL*hangup*"

I get some funny looks if I do this in a public place.

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 12:01 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 01:01 AM #37 of 44
Sounds like potential for a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation when one of you actually is about to go through a tunnel. They do have those in Adelaide right?

Anyway, mobiles.

Recently when I was on High School prac, some grade 8 kids managed to spy my phone. They remarked that my phone was not would you believe, fancy. One was shocked to find that it didn't even have a camera! Before I could even say anything a girl in the group tried to console me saying that one day I will get to have a flashy expensive phone.

Fucking little shits.

I tried to explain to them that I had recently downgraded from a WAP compatible $99 phone to an SMS compatible $69 phone. I might as well have been talking about Quantum Physics because the very concept seemed bizarre to them.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by RABicle; Oct 16, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Phoque le PQ
Présentement en ligne

Member 1886

Level 9.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 02:03 PM #38 of 44
Getting a cellphone was the only condition for my getting more involved into politics (my father hated my paralyzing the line with one call a night )

However, I find it useful. This way, people who reach me can lave a mesage rather than call home a wake my mother (a night worker). PLus, thanks to my bf, i'm fully using virgin's, er, unlimited talk thing

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lunar Seal
i wish my grass was emo so it would cut itsself

Member 12670

Level 9.15

Sep 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:24 PM #39 of 44
I have a cellphone but barely use it. The only times I do are when I'm going to be late for work (like, an accident happened en route and there's nothing I can do about it), or if I need to ask a family member if we need something on my way home.

What annoys the shit out of me is when I'm at work and some asshole hollister wearing girl comes up to my register and is chatting away while checking out. It makes it extremely difficult on my end to give her direction. Like when I give her the fucking price and she doesn't hear me, or she'll try to hand me her credit card and I'll say "MISS YOU CAN SLIDE IT AT THE MACHINE RIGHT NEXT TO YOU"...
And usually after she's finished paying, there's something wrong with the price, and naturally she was too busy chatting away with some dipshit to realize this sooner...

There is a time and a place for cellphones. Chatting when you're shopping around is one thing, but chatting when you're checking out is another. It's fucking rude.

FELIPE NO
JammerLea
Chocobo

Member 13045

Level 11.78

Sep 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:49 PM #40 of 44
I got a cellphone for emergency situations so I get about... 20 free minutes per month I think. I HAVE used it for when my car broke down, so it was good.

In college I used it a lot to call my roommate's for a ride (we did not let each other walk home alone after dark). There were many, many, MANY times I wanted the throw the POS throw a window to smash it onto the concrete because I'd call and I would GET A BUSY SIGNAL. This was NOT LOGICAL, because we had voice mail. There were a couple times that I actually gave up. Stupid thing.

Oh, it's also an older model with about three simple games and a handful of preset ringtones, that's about it. The phone I had before that didn't even have games. It was a bigger model and quite funny in a sad cellphone way.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:38 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 09:38 PM #41 of 44
Basically a cell phone is just my new landline, I don't bother installing service at my house anymore.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shifty
Wark!

Member 1495

Level 2.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:39 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 04:09 PM #42 of 44
Originally Posted by RABicle
Sounds like potential for a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation when one of you actually is about to go through a tunnel. They do have those in Adelaide right?
Yeah, there's a couple of tunnels in the hills when you head towards the East Coast, but nothing ridiculously long. Its just one of those inside jokes that resurfaces every now and again.

I've always been behind the wave of technology in cellphones. I only recently upgraded to a colour phone. Its there for when I need it and people need to reach me, but I don't spend all my time SMSing or calling people.

Example: A woman from Sydney called me up about a job. I was driving at the time so I put her on speakerphone (neat concept by the way) and continued to drive, changing gears while holding my phone in that hand. No automatic transmission was available at the time. It worked surprisingly well.

PS It was probably illegal but I pretty much kept the phone out of view so it looked like I was talking to myself anyway.

Most amazing jew boots
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:53 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 01:53 AM #43 of 44
I hate it when in concerts or quiet events (lectures, class, movies), people make it some habit to keep the ringtone to max, and even wait it out for the whole world to hear that they have Usher's Yeah as their ringtone.

Now, with those ear things you can get, you can talk to literally no one in front of you and it throws me off every time I see someone walking and talking to no one when really they're on their phone deal. Great invention, annoying contribution to society.

Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 09:26 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 10:26 AM #44 of 44
Cellphones can be used to track stealth aircraft, therefore they are both cool and a threat to national security. They must be destroyed:

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V121/N63/Stealth.63f.html

[ MOBIUS ]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Cellphones