Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] Dragon Quest IX Announced For Nintendo DS

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 05:38 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 05:38 PM #51 of 73
There is no negativity involved in my post, considering it's basic fact at this point. I'll rephrase what I said in that it's a "deathblow" rather than a normal blow. I already stated in the Ivalice Alliance thread that those games were nothing more than an easy money machine, and that DQIX might be part of that scheme.

The chief difference is that DQIX may be Horii and the Enix division sizing up the Nintendo market, as most people who own a DS right now either own or will end up owning a Wii. With the Square side, literally no one expects a Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS3 at this point.

Who knows what they're thinking really.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 05:50 PM #52 of 73
Originally Posted by Kostaki
There is no negativity involved in my post, considering it's basic fact at this point. I'll rephrase what I said in that it's a "deathblow" rather than a normal blow. I already stated in the Ivalice Alliance thread that those games were nothing more than an easy money machine, and that DQIX might be part of that scheme.
No, that's not what I was pointing out when I mentioned that you were being a tad harsh. This is what I'm talking about:

Quote:
New FFT without Matsuno will indeed be crap. The port should survive, though.
FFTA was trash, and nothing Matsuno's done in a long time has been groundbreaking or amazing enough to simply toss out any future Tactics titles.

Quote:
those games were nothing more than an easy money machine, and that DQIX might be part of that scheme.
Eh, let's be honest here: This is the start of SE milking the series, moreso than the Ivalice titles.

Quote:
The chief difference is that DQIX may be Horii and the Enix division sizing up the Nintendo market, as most people who own a DS right now either own or will end up owning a Wii. With the Square side, literally no one expects a Final Fantasy Tactics for the PS3 at this point.

Who knows what they're thinking really.
They're thinking about block long lines, for a product where they only need to put in 1/10th the effort that would've been put into a Wii/PS2/PS3/360 title.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 06:16 PM #53 of 73
Funny how everyone who says that Square is supporting Nintendo now completely forgot the development of not one but two major FF games for the PS3.

I know Dragon Quest is more popular in Japan, but it can't be THAT much more popular.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 06:23 PM #54 of 73
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Funny how everyone who says that Square is supporting Nintendo now completely forgot the development of not one but two major FF games for the PS3.

I know Dragon Quest is more popular in Japan, but it can't be THAT much more popular.
AFAIK, it's so popular that the government over there only allows the release of the games on certain days (can't remember which), because otherwise people would skip school or call in sick for work.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 06:23 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 04:23 PM #55 of 73
That sounds a little out of context. No one in their right mind would say "Square-Enix is fully supporting Nintendo" with the intention of stating that Sony has been abandoned.

If someone says that, they mean that Squeenix is now fully on-board with Nintendo hardware. They made up years ago, sure, but support has been very slow until just recently.

Most amazing jew boots
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:05 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 05:05 PM #56 of 73
Originally Posted by Borg1982
Where did you get that pic?
GoNintendo.

Originally Posted by SOLDIER
DQ is insanely populat in Japan, moreso than Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy is to us as DQ is to Japan (and that's an understatement).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:36 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2006, 08:36 PM #57 of 73
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
FFTA was trash, and nothing Matsuno's done in a long time has been groundbreaking or amazing enough to simply toss out any future Tactics titles.

Eh, let's be honest here: This is the start of SE milking the series, moreso than the Ivalice titles.

They're thinking about block long lines, for a product where they only need to put in 1/10th the effort that would've been put into a Wii/PS2/PS3/360 title.
I'll agree that FFTA was trash, but then the GBA doesn't give you too much to work with really. Dragon Quest on the other hand was built on synth music and a simplistic formula and has remained popular over the years. The DS may not be a multimedia champion, but it can produce a Dragon Quest good enough to be a main franchise title.

What I find completely interesting here is that Nintendo made the Wii and basically said "F U GRAPHICS" so the Enix division takes Dragon Quest and says "F U MAIN CONSOLES" and deprives everyone of Dragon Quest IX in HD PROGRESSIVE SUPER 45"+ AWESOME ORCHESTRATED ORGAMSIC TV SUPERPOWER. All the while, Dragon Quest Swords for the Wii slips under everyone's radar even though it looks awesome.

Though I'm wondering what exactly you consider "groundbreaking" these days when literally everything has already been done.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2006, 08:53 PM #58 of 73
I'll agree that FFTA was trash, but then the GBA doesn't give you too much to work with really. Dragon Quest on the other hand was built on synth music and a simplistic formula and has remained popular over the years. The DS may not be a multimedia champion, but it can produce a Dragon Quest good enough to be a main franchise title.
Just because it was built on a simplistic formula doesn't mean it should limit itself to that, as breaking from that has given us something fantastic. Unfortunately, the hardcore fans find this reason enough to berate people who enjoyed a DQ that took full advantage of current hardware and would like to see more epic experiences like it.

Quote:
What I find completely interesting here is that Nintendo made the Wii and basically said "F U GRAPHICS" so the Enix division takes Dragon Quest and says "F U MAIN CONSOLES" and deprives everyone of Dragon Quest IX in HD PROGRESSIVE SUPER 45"+ AWESOME ORCHESTRATED ORGAMSIC TV SUPERPOWER. All the while, Dragon Quest Swords for the Wii slips under everyone's radar even though it looks awesome.
No need for the hyperbole, people simply don't like missing out on what would be an even better gaming experience because the developer decides to gimp the title. Surely you agree that DQIX with the hardware resources of the Wii would likely be a much more realized adventure, than a DS title?

Quote:
Though I'm wondering what exactly you consider "groundbreaking" these days when literally everything has already been done.
Strange that Matsuno deserves to be exalted to the point where anything Ivalice is an instant failure without him, but he's far from amazing. Simply pointing out that your negativity for the new titles is relatively unfounded. This is a bit off topic so I'll drop it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2006, 04:11 PM #59 of 73
Yup, there’s a law in Japan regarding the Dragon Quest games. The launch day of a title is restricted to being on a weekend, otherwise everyone stops work and stops going to school and the country shuts down. That’s how big it is.

Initially it was a surprise, but seeing as how DQ games typically come out on the best selling system (and often later in the lifespan) it shouldn’t be too shocking. However, I was sure that another DQ related DS game was being released in Japan soon, so perhaps this is a ploy to encourage fans to purchase a DS for the spinoff knowing that they’ll also be able to play DQIX when it’s released.

As for querying the format choice, I’ll keep in mind that for me, DQ6 was deep and immersive experience and that only came out on a 16bit system (with all the Toriyama SD graphics).

ZealPath
Moments in Love

Member 1926

Level 6.48

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 01:30 AM #60 of 73
My main problem with this is mainly just the fact that it's for a portable system, I've never owned a portable system and probably never will, so that essentially writes DQIX off for me. That said, it doesn't bother me too much because obviously, being a DS game, it will not include anywhere near what DQVIII did so I don't particularly feel like I'll be missing anything too amazing anyway.

I guess now I can start looking forward to DQX instead of IX, after DQVIII, I really can't wait to see what a PS3 DQ will look like (assuming that's what 10 ends up being).

Most amazing jew boots
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 06:06 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2006, 09:06 PM #61 of 73
Quote:
The more I learn about this game the more I can't help but think management is behind this one.
The developer stated this is the most fun he's had making a game since the original DQ. It's win-win for everyone up there.

Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:00 PM Local time: Dec 14, 2006, 06:00 PM #62 of 73
Originally Posted by Grubdog
The developer stated this is the most fun he's had making a game since the original DQ. It's win-win for everyone up there.
Maybe because they don't really have to put massive effort into making it, so the developer gets to just run around the office doing fun things. Maybe that's what he means...

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2006, 08:09 PM Local time: Dec 14, 2006, 08:09 PM #63 of 73
All sarcasm aside, most game developers that gain high ranking positions such as producers love what they do, because they wouldn't be doing it otherwise. If someone who already loves their occupation turns around and says that he had the most fun developing a game than he's ever had before, that speaks volumes for the game itself.

Realize that in a world where you can have as much fun playing Poker with a deck of cards and four buddies as you can playing Halo 2 with those same four buddies on a massive gaming rig, that sometimes big things come in little packages. This game should not be excluded from that.

FELIPE NO
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2006, 01:07 AM #64 of 73
I'm not sure if it was posted, but here is the first game trailer ^^

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=27601 (there,s problem with the audio synch though)

i'm not a fan of dragon quest, I didn't really like DQ8 but that's just me, but this one seem pretty interesting, mainly for the 4 co-op a-rpg ^^

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Inhert; Dec 16, 2006 at 01:16 AM.
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:29 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2006, 11:29 AM #65 of 73
Originally Posted by Borg1982
Originally Posted by Free.User
And here's a (possibly real) picture to stir the pot:

But, you know, the game isn't even finished, so who knows.
Where did you get that pick? If it's fake then who made it?
Fucking lol.
Windyman the director of Nintendo World Report photoshopped it for lol. I mean he even posted it in the NWR joke forum.
And heres a hint. If a picture has "Gamebrink.com" written on it then chances are he got it from gamebrink.
but here is the original

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by RABicle; Dec 20, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
PS2
Carob Nut

Member 5480

Level 5.27

Apr 2006

Old Dec 24, 2006, 07:57 PM #66 of 73
I am extremely shocked and appalled that this is going to happen.

I thought it would've been a good idea to put this on WII, but they decide to put this on ds.

Not only that, but it's not even turn based anymore.

I wonder if square is doing this mainly because they want to dominate both the handheld and console RPG markets.

I don't know why they just don't release vargrant story 2.

Most amazing jew boots
Tequila
I got a signature.

Member 244

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2006, 09:03 PM Local time: Dec 25, 2006, 04:03 AM #67 of 73
Originally Posted by PS2
I don't know why they just don't release vargrant story 2.
That, my friend, is actually a very good idea.

But what the heck, that dual cart crap was kinda hard to believe from the start anyway... The game itself looks interesting though, and graphically quite nice.

I hope I can get my DS soon, so I have something fresh and new to play.

I'm a placeholder. I'm there to unnecessarily waste your bandwith and annoy the shit out of you. Too bad that I'm too small to make any difference.

Last edited by Tequila; Dec 24, 2006 at 09:06 PM.
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:52 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 07:52 AM #68 of 73
In really thinking about this concept, I'm starting to warm up to it more and more. Should the game be completely Wi-Fi enabled (and not in-range multiplayer bullshit) this has the potential to be pure fucking gold. It's basically Zelda, but with complete RPG elements and the ability to travel as a party.

The game hinges on two things here. It needs to be Nintendo Wi-Fi online enabled, and it needs to have something that would attract people's attention to play it more than a few times. Medal Collection and Pachisi from Dragon Quest III GBC would be a good start, as well as other possible things.

This really has a lot of potential when you stop to think about all the things they could do with it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cyric
EXILED

Member 10676

Level 3.52

Aug 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:30 PM #69 of 73
A bit late on this but I have to point out a flaw in your logic, FFTA wasnt trash because the GBA doesn't give you much to work with... Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis was released on the GBA way before FFTA came out and it is a damn good game (not AS good as FFT due to system limitations and such but damn close to it and it makes a mockery out of FFTA). FFTA was just a badly designed game on many different levels (Judge system, thin story, lack of unique characters in your party, the missions you send guys out on and rely basicly on luck for them to win, etc., etc.).

Personally I am fully confident that Level 5 can deliver a worthy DQ on the DS Honestly I am rather pleased it's hitting the DS, this way I know that I will be able to find the time to play it! If it was on consoles I could never tell when I would be able to get around to it (I'm flooded with games atm and from the looks of things there shall be no end to it).

Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Dec 27, 2006, 11:25 PM #70 of 73
I wouldn't really call that a flaw. There is an insurmountable distinction between the two titles in what people expect out of them. It's apples and oranges grown on the same farm, per se. I wouldn't doubt that you would consider Knights of Lodis a superior title; there are some that prefer it even over the original FFT. It's a matter of personal preference. I digress though, as this topic is about Dragon Quest IX.

I wonder how Level 5 is handling the newfound fame of basically being handed the reigns to one of Japan's most popular franchises. It was Dark Cloud, then Dark Chronicle, then BAM out of nowhere Dragon Quest VIII. Now they're given control of IX. Jeanne D'Arc might force me into buying a PSP sometime later down the line, heh.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:30 AM Local time: Dec 28, 2006, 12:30 AM #71 of 73
I've been wondering about that myself. It's not like SE doesn't have the money to develop their own DQ game. I just hope Level 5 doesn't become some outsourcing whore. I'd rather they continue developing their own original titles than pick up some other developer's outsourced work. Granted, DQ8 rawked my sawks, but still. Rogue Galaxy <3

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2006, 10:50 PM #72 of 73
Dragon Quest IX will be only the second game Level 5 has worked on that is part of a pre-existing series. Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, Rogue Galaxy, Jeanne d'Arc, Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village, White Knight Story-- all original titles or sequels to them.

Most amazing jew boots
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2006, 02:27 AM Local time: Dec 28, 2006, 02:27 AM #73 of 73
Right now, you're right -- the majority of their titles (all but 2) are originals and sequels. I wasn't talking about being afraid of any kind of change of that nature anytime soon, just in the long run. I'd rather not see them be the next developers of Grandia, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts. Just sayin'.

I've got a ton of respect for Level 5 as a company. To rise up as a developer/publisher and gain the sort of recognition they have now is incredible. It wouldn't be much of a far cry to begin associating them with the likes of Square-Enix, Namco-Bandai, etc.

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] Dragon Quest IX Announced For Nintendo DS