Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] GFF Team Fortress 2 Crew!

Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:42 AM #76 of 255
I finished most of the pyro achievements to unlock all three weapons. Really... if you have backburner... Having Flare gun or Axestinguisher seems somewhat useless because if you are going to melee... might as well stick with the flamethrower and the shotgun is a much better finisher than the flare. If you are hitting from behind... use the backburner and not the axe since you are using the backburner to score godly crits.

I would see a flare/flamethrower/axestinguisher combo for setup.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

Kagosin
Why don't you look at it.

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:05 AM #77 of 255
Having Flare gun or Axestinguisher seems somewhat useless because if you are going to melee... might as well stick with the flamethrower and the shotgun is a much better finisher than the flare.
I've seen people use the flare gun effectively since the update.
Hitting snipers, or any other back range support units.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 08:13 AM #78 of 255
Big surprise no one ever invites you when we play TF2.
oh dear are you shunning me

please don't shun me

I don't want to be shunned

(PS: I have no idea who "we" is so you might want to enlighten me on that point so that I can be properly resentful. Is this like a royal We kind of situation?)

How ya doing, buddy?
Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:38 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2008, 07:38 AM #79 of 255
I've seen people use the flare gun effectively since the update.
Hitting snipers, or any other back range support units.
Have you noted if there a little bit of a splash area from the flare gun? Nothing as big as the rocket of course, but something large enough so that it isn't just another version of the sniper gun without the scope. I haven't been able to get snipers with it, although it's still partly b/c no one is playing sniper right now.

Each weapon definitely has its own situation, which all play to different pyro styles. You have Backburner for the sneaky surprise pyro and Axestinguisher for that insane pyro who charges right at you. And I guess the Flare Gun is just a nice little toy apparently (whoever heard of a long range pyro).

How ya doing, buddy?

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:57 AM #80 of 255
Have you noted if there a little bit of a splash area from the flare gun? Nothing as big as the rocket of course, but something large enough so that it isn't just another version of the sniper gun without the scope. I haven't been able to get snipers with it, although it's still partly b/c no one is playing sniper right now.

Each weapon definitely has its own situation, which all play to different pyro styles. You have Backburner for the sneaky surprise pyro and Axestinguisher for that insane pyro who charges right at you. And I guess the Flare Gun is just a nice little toy apparently (whoever heard of a long range pyro).
Axestinguisher is quite fun with another pyro, as one burns, and the other just goes on a hacking spree. But i've seen the long range pyros work as they like to use the flare gun just past hills and so on. People recently have become more crafty using the thing (or at least the number of servers i've played on).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
xiaowei
Bear Leisure

Member 792

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:44 AM #81 of 255

Flaregun is great for annoying snipers. And that's about it. It's really hard to hit moving people, especially ones that don't move in a straight line. I seem to spend most of my time combating other Pyros and the flare gun is poorly matched against the shotgun in situations like those. And it's terrible if you run into a soldier.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:29 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2008, 04:29 PM #82 of 255
Only just started playing again myself, got about 3 of the new achievements so far but I've been playing on servers with class number limiters.

One thing I did notice that wasn't mentioned anywhere though was that they changed ctf well, removing the middle building and the underwater tunnels... why? I don't understand the logic behind it, sure the sniper has a waaaaay better shooting range now, but half the fun of well is all the different angles you can attack from, not to mention it makes the water exits nearly pointless, now all the action will be stuck in the middle of the map even more then it was before

There's nowhere I can't reach.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:39 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2008, 01:39 PM #83 of 255
(PS: I have no idea who "we" is so you might want to enlighten me on that point so that I can be properly resentful. Is this like a royal We kind of situation?)
You know, GFF? The thread where you're posting, and the Steam community group you belong to? Conversations tend to go:

"We could use more people. Pang's on, anyone want to ask him?"
"No, that's okay."
"Yeah, I'll pass."

Although you're already pretty resentful of this place in general, so you don't really need to do anything different. So you can stop pretending to care about plagiarism and go satisfy your emotional need for trolling elsewhere, like the MGS4 thread or the Quiet Place.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Last edited by StarmanDX; Jun 20, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 02:51 PM #84 of 255
Oh god, Valve removing all dropoff damage from the pyro's flamethrower is a little much =/

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:59 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2008, 02:59 PM 3 #85 of 255
Will both of you shut the hell up, fuck? Christ, who cares if he plagarized it or not and who cares if Pang is a douchebag. Move the fuck on ladies.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:47 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2008, 09:47 PM #86 of 255
Ok, backburner is officially one of the most annoying weapons in the game. It's got the same problem as facestabs from the spy (I ran into a pyro in a narrow corridor as an engi, and was shooting him with a shotgun as he proceeds to crit me dead in half a second), but it's ridiculous when you've got a pyro paired up with a medic. You always want to kill the medic first, since otherwise the pyro won't die, but since you're chasing the medic, the pyro can rape you from behind. Also, the +50 health is obnoxious, since it gives them a massive advantage over any other pyro that doesn't have the backburner.

Flare gun seems pretty useless too, but I guess that's pretty similar to how the pyro's rockets were in TFC anyway.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:39 AM #87 of 255
Ok, backburner is officially one of the most annoying weapons in the game. It's got the same problem as facestabs from the spy (I ran into a pyro in a narrow corridor as an engi, and was shooting him with a shotgun as he proceeds to crit me dead in half a second), but it's ridiculous when you've got a pyro paired up with a medic. You always want to kill the medic first, since otherwise the pyro won't die, but since you're chasing the medic, the pyro can rape you from behind. Also, the +50 health is obnoxious, since it gives them a massive advantage over any other pyro that doesn't have the backburner.

Flare gun seems pretty useless too, but I guess that's pretty similar to how the pyro's rockets were in TFC anyway.
The drawback to those pyros though is that if you're long range like a soldier or demoman, they can't reflect those back at you. So if you play it safe long range against that combo, you should be ok.

FELIPE NO
Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:38 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 09:38 AM #88 of 255
the backburner is great, but yeah I think they really need to tweak whatever detection you have when you are "actually" behind someone and I think they overdid it with the 50 health, now it's the same as a soldier wich along a medic, it's a lot. On another note, the new axe couldn't be more useless if I got a weapon(right now) that 100% crits most of the time why would I switch to another that's weaker... also on top of having 100% crit from behind the backburner still has normal crits from the front so yeah it can also crit normally like the other flamethrower.

xiaowei
Bear Leisure

Member 792

Level 16.30

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:42 AM #89 of 255
the backburner is great, but yeah I think they really need to tweak whatever detection you have when you are "actually" behind someone and I think they overdid it with the 50 health, now it's the same as a soldier wich along a medic, it's a lot. On another note, the new axe couldn't be more useless if I got a weapon(right now) that 100% crits most of the time why would I switch to another that's weaker... also on top of having 100% crit from behind the backburner still has normal crits from the front so yeah it can also crit normally like the other flamethrower.
When they fixed facestabs, Valve jacked backstabs also. I'm a bit apprehensive on how they'll fix it.

The backburner gives the pyro more life than a soldier, which hurts a soldier pretty bad. A soldier used to be able to be a bit careless when dealing with pyros, but you really have to focus now. You can't afford to waste any rockets, so switching to the shotgun is key now.

(I ran into a pyro in a narrow corridor as an engi, and was shooting him with a shotgun as he proceeds to crit me dead in half a second)
When facing pyros as an engineer, empty your pistol on them and then use your shotgun. Pyros usually get retarded when facing an engie, as they tend not to juke as much. 12 pistol round should hit the pyro dead on before he gets into burning range. The pistol whittles enough health and the shotgun should be able to finish them off. However, the +50 HP changes the equation a bit.

Last edited by xiaowei; Jun 23, 2008 at 09:46 AM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:50 AM #90 of 255
The problem is that the "I see a back, trigger crits" detection triggers whenever you can see ANYONE's back, even if they're not in range for your backburner. This doesn't happen with the Spy (obviously) so it should be a pretty easy thing to fix.

Honestly I doubt it's going to be a huge problem long-term anyway since everything seems overpowered when there's 32 of them on a map at once.

Kagosin

Member 4108

Level 17.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 09:52 AM #91 of 255
Honestly I doubt it's going to be a huge problem long-term anyway since everything seems overpowered when there's 32 of them on a map at once.
Lately that's been slowing down now, since everyone's been going to achievement maps and so on. So now everyone got the stuff and are going back to playing other classes.

Rollins
"It's strips like this that differentiate us from Ziggy."

Member 51

Level 17.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:47 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 08:47 AM #92 of 255
I haven't seen any pyro madness on random servers since the day after it came out. Most things seem to be settling down yes, thanks to achievement servers and the fact you don't need all of them to get all 3 weapons (still haven't got my ubersaw). Pyro is back settling down to the 1 or 2 people per server who play it (feels like it anyway).

However, there is nothing more satisfying right now to me than separating a heavy or a demo from their fresh uber with some well/luckily placed air blasts. Usually dooms you to death personally, but take one for the team when you can.

| blog | last.fm | chocojournal = unnecessary |
pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:19 PM #93 of 255
Ah the backburner is great. I don't usually stay defense with pyro so i can live without the air blast. The flare gun is definitely useless though, yeah.

Also there's a skywalking exploit in fastlane, heads up ~

PS who wants to play :]

Last edited by pompadork; Jun 23, 2008 at 02:30 PM.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 02:35 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 02:35 PM #94 of 255
Full Pyro preview's out: Pyro Update

3 unlockables, a flat buff for the default flamethrower, and (implicitly) damage from taunts
I am so happy ;___;

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 04:26 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 05:26 PM #95 of 255
When they fixed facestabs, Valve jacked backstabs also. I'm a bit apprehensive on how they'll fix it.
as far as I know facestabs are still a common thing all over the place, but so my post has some juice to it. The flaregun isn't that useless, it really depends on the map, honestly in 2fort I don't see a point for it, since snipers usually camp right by the resupply so burning them does nothing, and if you end up in the water at the bottom you have no way to fight back, unless you are able to catch them with your axe.. wich is unlikely, but in maps like dustbowl it isn't that bad at least it can harm engineers as they fix sentries so demos or soldiers can finish them off easier. So far for me it depends solely on the type of map if I am taking the flare gun or not.

FELIPE NO
Animechanic
whipping boy

Member 1106

Level 23.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:16 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 03:16 PM #96 of 255
Meh, I like being able to pick off fleeing burning enemies with the shotgun, since it's optimal range is right outside the flamethrower's. So for me, the flaregun is pretty useless. Plus the fact that it has only moderate damage, a large delay between shots, a slow projectile, no area effect, reduced effectiveness on pyros, and no effectiveness underwater.

Backburner is a definite keeper though, just for the health if nothing else. And it just makes being a sneaky bastard a lot more fun.

I have no idea if I'll use the Axtinguisher for anything. Generally if you get close enough to someone to melee them, you might as well just burn them. I never really used the regular axe for much either, except the occasional humiliation kill. I'll probably use the unlock just because it's more interesting than the regular axe.

Last edited by Animechanic; Jun 23, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 06:24 PM #97 of 255
Man, maybe my aim just got a lot better in the last couple days but it feels like shotguns got a stealth boost overall. I'm getting more kills with the Soldier's shotty than with the rockets.

pompadork
-

Member 2277

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 07:59 PM #98 of 255
Can we organize another day where we all play so i can dominate again ~ ~ ~

Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 08:10 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 09:10 PM #99 of 255
you mean me beating you up, but saying it's the ping all over again.

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:18 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2008, 09:18 PM #100 of 255
Yeah, xiao, facestabs are still pretty common. Maybe I haven't played spy enough, but backstabs still seem to work well enough too.

I wonder how many of these updates will defy expectations. With medic, you'd expect to at least get a heal, but unless it helped a medic get an achievement you probably wouldn't. With pyro, you'd expect spies would have a hard time, but it doesn't seem like it (although this is more likely due to the fact that pyros are more useful offensively now).

Can we organize another day where we all play so i can dominate again ~ ~ ~
Name a date and time, and preferably a server. Of course, we probably don't want to use mine again.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] GFF Team Fortress 2 Crew!