Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:50 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2010, 09:50 AM #1101 of 1141
You know, I keep hearing this game gets good 15 hours in. But if I'm having trouble stomaching the first 15 hours of gameplay, I really don't care how good the rest of the game is. It's poorly designed.
Well, think of it as a game with a rather long tutorial.

Also, it's not like the first 20 hours are totally disastrous. The story is great and the presentation is beyond awesome. It's just very, very linear. But people know that it's not a JRPG equivalent of Gothic 3, so whatever...

I was speaking idiomatically.
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:01 PM 37 #1102 of 1141
You know, I keep hearing this game gets good 15 hours in. But if I'm having trouble stomaching the first 15 hours of gameplay, I really don't care how good the rest of the game is. It's poorly designed.
Poorly designed games should be nothing new to you though, you DID play through Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VI right?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:36 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2010, 06:36 PM #1103 of 1141
I'm more interested in the game the further in i get. My only problem with it is the monotonous difficulty curve of the enemies, and how far you're allowed to grind before they make you stop.

FELIPE NO
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:39 PM #1104 of 1141
Haha nothing changes. There's no AWESOME event that happens 15 hours in. The game is the same the whole way through.
Says the person who clearly hasn't made it to the point where the strategy of the battle system opens up, or when the game finally stops being linear and lets you dick around doing whatever.

And like Mush said, it's not like the first 15 hours are horrible, they're really fun. They just really *are* linear in the most blatant sense of the term. If you really just can't stand not being able to stop and grind whenever you want then you should play Disgaea or something, I personally loved the pace of the first 10 chapters, as it kept the story moving and kept your battle strategies varied as it constantly changed what classes you had available.

I mean, I'm not going to stand here and say that openness in an RPG is bad. It isn't. Fallout 3 succeeds almost entirely because of how open it is. But the idea that somehow by being linear the game is bad and not worth playing makes no sense to me. Final Fantasy games have had pacing issues for a long time. XII loses track of the story about halfway through, X is okay up until the point where the narration catches up, and then slows way down, VII spent way too fucking long exploring Cloud's backstory to prolong the climax of the story, and VIII was just shitty all around. If it takes removing your ability to dick around to keep the story moving at the right speed, I'm all for it. It's made the story really well told.

Also, Knighthawk, you are a fucking horrible person.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:49 PM #1105 of 1141
Poorly designed games should be nothing new to you though, you DID play through Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VI right?
You're a fucking lunatic.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:08 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2010, 06:08 PM #1106 of 1141
Says the person who clearly hasn't made it to the point where the strategy of the battle system opens up, or when the game finally stops being linear and lets you dick around doing whatever
Excuse me, I imported the game. Got to the end and sold it.

Yeah, Gran Pulse isn't linear. It's a wide open battlefield. That's it. ZzZz. And it's toward the end of the game.

Most amazing jew boots
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:16 PM #1107 of 1141
So the fact that the battles get really intense when you get there and the idea of needing to either grind or do the battles really well to 5 star the missions doesn't appeal to --

Wait a minute.

Originally Posted by Andrew's signature
IV > VIII > VI > VII > IX > V > XII > X > XIII > I > III > II > XI
No. I'm not discussing quality of RPGs with someone who ranks Final Fantasy VIII above any other Final Fantasy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:18 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2010, 08:18 PM #1108 of 1141
So the fact that the battles get really intense when you get there and the idea of needing to either grind or do the battles really well to 5 star the missions doesn't appeal to --
Being right in an argument about video games... that's okay.

Quote:
Wait a minute.

No. I'm not discussing quality of RPGs with someone who ranks Final Fantasy VIII above any other Final Fantasy.
Realising why arguing about video games with Andrew is like arguing with BZ about anything at all?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Mar 19, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 03:42 AM #1109 of 1141
I beat the game a few nights ago. I enjoyed a lot about the game up until chapter 11. After that the game took a shit and wouldn't stop. I no longer care about how I liked the story (until it stopped making sense) or how awesome the characters were (until they stopped developing) because I got so fucking sick and tired of playing the goddamned thing I just wanted it to end. I really doubt I'll ever replay this game.

Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 03:48 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 06:18 PM #1110 of 1141
The amount of Diss you get reassures FFVI fanboys = bully.

It's still not a good example though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:08 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 10:08 AM #1111 of 1141
I do believe there are more Secret of Mana fanboys here, actually.

FELIPE NO
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 05:15 AM #1112 of 1141

It's still not a good example though.
No, see, this isn't FFVI fanboys being bullies.

Fanboys being bullies would be renaming Knighthawk if he'd come in and said FFXII was a badly designed game. Calling FFVI a badly designed game is like going to Movieforce and telling them Citizen Kane was a badly shot movie. Not only does it demonstrate incredibly bad taste, but it demonstrates a complete lack of understanding (or deliberate ignorance) of the people you're talking to. I mean, let's face it, Final Fantasy VI isn't perfect. No game is. I struggle to see how objectively one could call it a bad game, though, unless you're just being difficult or have a really warped sense of what a good game is.

That was a really long way of saying "No, Knighthawk is either stupid, trolling, or both."

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:18 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 02:18 PM #1113 of 1141
Meh, I've never managed to be bothered enough about FFVI to finish it on any of the occasions I started it. That's probably because I never played it as a kid though and so many games have been virtual copies of the thing since, to me it now seems really generic.

That's not to say it's badly designed of course, just that it isn't fun.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 08:44 AM 1 #1114 of 1141
YouTube Video

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2010, 04:17 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2010, 02:17 PM #1115 of 1141
You, sir, are a flaaaaaaaaaaaming faggot.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:29 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2010, 01:29 PM #1116 of 1141
It's rather criminal that there are no audio settings to change at all. I don't know if it's only me, but while the voices are always pretty loud and clear the music seems very subdued and at a lower volume. Which is a shame, because most of the soundtrack is pretty awesome (and not the annoyingly loud footsteps and Vanille's ridiculous screeching...)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:38 AM #1117 of 1141
I've got no problem with the sound ratio, but I have to turn my TV louder than normal to hear anything in the game.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 22, 2010, 07:42 AM Local time: Mar 22, 2010, 01:42 PM #1118 of 1141
I guess it's my 5.1 system after all :/

How ya doing, buddy?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 07:54 AM #1119 of 1141
Does the Sentinel job class ever get more useful? I just got the "tutorial" on it when you can finally play as Snow again, and while it sounds nice in theory, it was useless in practice. They can't attack directly, and the counterattack didn't seem to do anything most of the time. The game acts like it wants me to use the job class right there, and it says specifically to use it against large groups of enemies, but when I'm paired with only one other character that can attack, it makes battle drag on forever.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:35 AM #1120 of 1141
Sentinels are mostly useful in boss battles I've found. They can be a good distraction while you're prepping your characters or healing them from a crucial state.
I mostly use them in this order.

Sentinel, medic, medic
Sentinel, medic, saboteur
Sentinel, synergist, saboteur
Sentinel, synergist, medic and so on . . .

You don't necessarily need support, you could go balls out with the occasional medic, but it makes battles go more smoothly this way.

About the sound. I needed to put my tv settings to surround in order to get all the audio even. Now it's good listenings.

New Record!
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 12:49 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2010, 09:49 AM #1121 of 1141
Hell of a difficulty curve this game has. One moment it's somewhat challenging, but managable, the next, everything can wipe you out within the first couple of turns.
Spoiler:
And just when I thought I was making steady progress on the crystarium, it goes and opens up every role for everyone and it takes over 3,000 cp just to increase one stat. Not looking forward to grinding this stuff...

Beating some of these Eidolons has been an exercise in patience as well. I'm fighting Vanille's right now, and I know how to fill the Gestalt gauge, but I can't seem to do it fast enough. I keep getting to the last 8th of the meter just before the Doom timer runs out.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:37 PM #1122 of 1141
WolfDemon: For that particular Eidolon, you only need to use the saboteur/sentinel and medic/sentinel combo. Doing a lot a status effect on it, is what make the progress bar go faster. Even if he already have all the status effect you can inflict to it and just pop medic when the sentinel need it.

And 3000cp is almost nothing now, because in Ch.12 when you unlock the lv5 crystarium it take 10000 to 20000 for one stats >.>

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 01:57 PM #1123 of 1141
This article is why no one takes IGN seriously anymore.

Six different people giving a "second opinion" on FFXIII, and most, if not all, freely admit they haven't played to the point where the game becomes open-ended.

Most amazing jew boots
Paulina's Ashes
Wark!

Member 35521

Level 1.86

Mar 2010

Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:32 PM 1 #1124 of 1141
I understand that the name was because the company declared bankruptcy, therefore decided to launch one last game with the name "Final Fantasy" which were very successful and continued, lately I have heard rumors that the "FFXIII "Not so good ... I think everything depends on how they go with this FF

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2010, 03:36 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2010, 09:36 PM #1125 of 1141
Oooooo Kaaaaaay.

You're right in that the first Final Fantasy game was expected to be the last the company made and it turned out rather successful and as such, they made a crap load more of them and will continue to do so. FFXII is awesome though, one of the best in the series. Some people don't like it because you don't get to endlessly press the X button during fights and because the story isn't about a slightly misunderstood young guy saving the world and getting it on with a next-to-useless-in-fights princess type. Those people are deluding themselves though and probably really enjoyed FFVIII like the bunch of massive homos they are.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread