Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

TV tuner and video card for media center help

Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Jun 3, 2006, 12:48 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2006, 10:48 PM #1 of 4
Question TV tuner and video card for media center help

So I'm moving into my own apartment this weekend, and I've been putting together a small form factor media center PC to set up with our TV and surround sound in the living room. The thing is that the onboard video isn't cutting it with MCE 2005 (get an error and many options not available).

The only other thing missing is a TV tuner so I can record shows and what-not, but I found what seems to be perfect ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815116629 ) since it got really good reviews and is low profile...and affordable.

But what I would really want and need advice on is an ATI All-In-Wonder type card that is low profile and somewhat affordable. I don't think the ATI card comes in a low profile model, so is there anything that compares to that? I don't want to have to buy a seperate TV tuner AND a new video card.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarkRavenX
Ya Srsly!!1

Member 701

Level 15.95

Mar 2006

Old Jun 25, 2006, 11:17 PM #2 of 4
I have a All In wonder 9600. My advice:

Dont get one.

I bought this card around a year ago, and just filed for my 3rd warranty service today for a dead TV tuner. Two new cards, same problem with all of them. Ive heard that PC TV Tuners arent AS reliable as standard tuners inside TVs, so im gonna get a new video card, and a seperate tuner card. That way if it dies, it will be cheaper to replace, and i wont have to go 4-6 weeks without a video card.

This is just my experience, and suggestion. Dont base your desicion solely off what ive said here, because i DO believe i just have bad luck with it. Good Luck with your own apartment, and in your quest to find a tuner solution!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 10:25 AM Local time: Jun 26, 2006, 09:25 AM #3 of 4
Good PC TV tuning = Hauppenge(sp?) PVR-150, 250, 350 etc.

You can check reviews her -> www.htpcnews.com <- That site also is sponsored by PC Alchemy, which is a store that has all you need. Click on the ad to get there.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 12:40 PM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 10:40 AM #4 of 4
DarkRavenX - Well, I don't think the ATI cards are the slim pci cards I need, so those are out. But thanks for the info!

Dayvon - That's good to hear, because the card I've had my eye on is a Hauppauge PCR 150. Thanks!

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > TV tuner and video card for media center help