Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

upgrade question

mogge
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3088

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:13 PM #1 of 5
upgrade question

Alright, right now i'm sitting on an AMD Athlon XP 1.4ghz. I've had it for ever now and am looking for a small upgrade since i just upgraded from an Ati Radeon 9200 to a Radeon x700pro.

So i was thinking of going with an AMD Athlon 64 3800+. I was originally going to buy a whole new system, but i'm not going to have the money for some time and i want something that'll run games a little better ( i bought the x700pro thinking it'd give me a steady 100fps in half-life1 mods like tfc, cs, cz, but i didn't accomplish that and was told it was because of my processor). So i looked around and found an 3800+ for about 111$ and i can get a mobo that is PCI-E & AGP for about 64$(since the x700p is agp :[). But basically my question is:

Will an athlon64 3800+, w/ 1gb memory & a x700pro 256mb run source based games (half-life 2, etc..) with ease on decent settings (not run down settings that makes the game look poorly).

thanks in advance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 02:46 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 12:46 PM #2 of 5
By the looks of things, the X700 is about as powerful as my GeForce 5900XT. It's not really powerful, and of course, isn't as powerful as a 6600GT. But, considering Source games are optimized for ATI's Radeons, it should do fine. I get an average of 60fps with 5900, so you should be slightly better.

I'm guessing that x700 was cheap? It really wasn't a great upgrade.

Most amazing jew boots
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 04:05 PM #3 of 5
Take a look at the cheapest Athlon 64 X2 (Dual Core) processor, now that AMD has lowered prices after being beaten up with Intel's latest toy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 04:23 PM Local time: Sep 9, 2006, 03:23 PM #4 of 5
Originally Posted by mogge
So i looked around and found an 3800+ for about 111$ and i can get a mobo that is PCI-E & AGP for about 64$(since the x700p is agp :[).
What Mobo are you referring to?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
mogge
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 3088

Level 1.34

Mar 2006

Old Sep 9, 2006, 06:19 PM #5 of 5
render: well i wanted something that was better than the 9200, and i don't really play any of the newer games that come out, and the x700 was only about 76$ shipped. the only reason i have any interest in getting decent/good fps in source based games is because of tf2

dayvon: 1. You need more posts before you are allowed to post URLs or images.

D=

i plan on building a whole new system in the near future, it's just i'm kind of strapped on cash, so i figured a small upgrade would be just fine.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > upgrade question