Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Good program for testing LAN speed

jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:02 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 11:02 AM #1 of 9
Good program for testing LAN speed

Does anyone know of a good program to test LAN speed? I've heard of one made by Unisys called SoftCAR or something like that, but I can't ever find it.

Joseph

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:12 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 06:12 PM #2 of 9
You could just copy some files over it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 12:39 PM #3 of 9
But then I wouldn't get the speed (or exact speed...)

Joseph

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 01:53 PM #4 of 9
Originally Posted by jsphweid
But then I wouldn't get the speed (or exact speed...)

Joseph
Actaully it can, run the performance monitor in WinXP and see how many bytes per second Windows is writing. If you have 1Mbps LAN, it should top out at 125KBps; 10Mbps, 1.25MBps; 100Mbps, 12.5MBps; 1Gbps, 125MBps; and finally 10Gbps, 1.25GBps.

Most amazing jew boots
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 12:57 AM #5 of 9
What the fuck, you shouldn't even need this.

You clearly know what the maximum speed of LAN is. Is that somehow not good enough for you to know?

It'll be somewhere around 10, 11, 56, or 100 Mbps, depending on the hardware. Again, how is that not good enough?

I was speaking idiomatically.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 04:23 AM #6 of 9
Originally Posted by Merv Burger

You clearly know what the maximum speed of LAN is. Is that somehow not good enough for you to know?

It'll be somewhere around 10, 11, 56, or 100 Mbps, depending on the hardware. Again, how is that not good enough?
To be fair sometimes a network interface can have considerably lower speed than what it should. But the difference cannot possibly be enough to matter to someone who doesn't know how to test speeds.

Copying a large file is a great way to test the speed. Pinging gives you a quicker answer as well. (From the command line "Ping 192.168.109.2"*, it'll give you the time it took for a network signal to get from your machine to the other and back, giving you an idea of network lag which isn't really shown with the sustained file transfer.

*Use the IP address of the machine you want to ping, the number provided is just an example.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 12:00 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 11:00 AM #7 of 9
Originally Posted by Merv Burger

I make my own cable. I hear that if you make your own, there is a chance that your entire network speed may lower!
Geez!

Joseph

FELIPE NO
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 03:16 PM #8 of 9
I make my own cable. I hear that if you make your own, there is a chance that your entire network speed may lower!
Geez!

Joseph
I fail to see how this is true. (Not all the pins in an RJ-45 are used anyway.) If signals can be sent from one end of the cable to another, you're fine; speed isn't going to decrease because the wire pairs don't perfectly fit into the connector.

The maximum theoretical throughput (speed) for a 100 Mb link is 12.5 MB/sec. However, this does not mean that the speed will be such; overhead, for one, must be taken into account.
On most LANs, pinging--unless clients are connected through multiple decvices--will not give any accurate example of actual speed, since the average ping packet is small and, thereby, easy to transmit very quickly. (Pinging in those situation mostly returns response times of "less than a millisecond," which doesn't provide a good indication.) That is, very small transfers across a fast link are rarely a good measure of the actual throughput.

I don't know why you'd be concerned about data transfer speeds over a home LAN, however. Such is rarely ever a problem: it would be hard to completely saturate the link.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 03:39 PM #9 of 9
Geez!

Joseph
The only time this is the case is with Cat6/Gigabit networks. And the difference you can incurr is relatively minor, and due to putting undue stress on the cable. Also, if you make your cables too long for any network cable you'll start to run into speed issues as frames are lost. A big chunky file transfer is the way to go.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Good program for testing LAN speed