Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[] March Smashness (1v1 Tournament)

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:14 PM 1 #1 of 285
March Smashness (1v1 Tournament)

So now March Smashness begins!

Just a reminder, here's the rule set:

Double Elimination
4 stock, 8 minutes
All items on - Low
All Stages On
You are allowed to change characters.

Standard Matches: First to 3 wins
Finals: First to 5 wins

And the winner of this tournament will get 2000 Wii Points courtesy of Miles!

New match updates will be noted with a *.

Current Matches:
Nexius vs. Basil

Tournament Bracket (Last update: 5/18 @ 11:42 PM EST):

Please post the time you and your current match-up will fight. This will prevent people trying to enter your match during the tournament.

After your match, Please PM me with the results.

Everyone have fun and good luck!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Chaotic; May 18, 2008 at 10:42 PM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:21 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 10:21 PM #2 of 285
I wish I could win this and save myself 20 bucks but some of you guys are just insanely good at this game.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:28 AM #3 of 285
I'm confused; why are there so many byes? Wouldn't it make sense just to pair everyone up, and at most have 1 bye?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:40 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 10:40 PM #4 of 285
Nutty, if that happens then there will probably be like a 1 v 1 v 1 at the end or something of the sort.

and since theres more than 16 and less than 32, it'd have to be run with a starting field of 32.

since

24 people would move to 12
12 people would move to 6
and then 6 people would turn to 3. That wouldn't work well for a 1v1

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:41 AM #5 of 285
Yeah, that bracket makes no sense at all. Why aren't all the bye people facing each other? Byes are supposed to be used when there's an odd number of people only.

Also, are each of these best of 3? Otherwise I'm not sure how double elimination is supposed to work.
Nutty, if that happens then there will probably be like a 1 v 1 v 1 at the end or something of the sort.
But this way 1/3 of the competitors get to skip the first round. That doesn't even approach fair.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:44 AM #6 of 285

and since theres more than 16 and less than 32, it'd have to be run with a starting field of 32.

since

24 people would move to 12
12 people would move to 6
and then 6 people would turn to 3. That wouldn't work well for a 1v1
Indeed (to Tritoch's reply). It's more fair to have either 1v1v1 at the end, or have them play a Round Robin, than give 7 people a free pass in the first round.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:47 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 10:47 PM 1 #7 of 285
Who cares? It balances itself out anyways if someone loses they'll more than anything face a bye and then skate through for another round. Just deal with it or quit the tournament we're all just trying to have fun and EVERYONE wanted it to be 1v1 so there.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:51 AM #8 of 285
Or Chaotic could just redo the brackets and give 1 random person a bye to even things up so that the tournament is actually fair to everyone. This is a pretty large problem that's easy to fix.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 12:52 AM #9 of 285
Who cares? It balances itself out anyways if someone loses they'll more than anything face a bye and then skate through for another round. Just deal with it or quit the tournament we're all just trying to have fun and EVERYONE wanted it to be 1v1 so there.
Slow down there, Sparky. I'm not threatening to quit in a huff or anything. I just want to know Chaotic's logic here, since giving 9 people (7 + Slicky and Black Mage) a free pass seems out of left field, as opposed to settling whatever numerical inconsistencies exist in the final round.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:08 AM #10 of 285
I used a program to generate the brackets, I formed nothing of this on my own. Tossed everyone's name in and then it randomly created it. If they didn't make it fair, I wouldn't be using it. Trust me on this one, I was iffy on all the byes, but if it will even everything out, then I trust it. I've used this that tournament I ran before and it worked out just fine.

I ran a test bracket, it will eventually even out on both sides, so I'm not exactly worried about it, but probably when we reach a winner on the Loser's Bracket and the Winner's Bracket to form the finals, it will just end after the two face off once... I don't see the need to prolong it.

This is how it should look after everything is done...:

Something like that. I assure you though, everything will be fair in this tournament.

Last edited by Chaotic; Mar 30, 2008 at 01:15 AM.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:18 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 11:18 PM #11 of 285
A better question is why is it that the two people who are currently bringing it up, are also not given the bye?

I'm perfectly fine with who gets byes and what not because people were wanting a 1 v 1 tournament. not a "1v1 tournament till we get to the end where we will dramatically change the rules into a 1v1v1 round robin 15 match tournament, with the possibility of it turning into 20+ matches in case we get some bizzare matching score just so that two people who didn't get byes will feel better" tournament.

I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an ass but I know that the brackets are randomly made and who got put where was all by chance and just deal with it and play your matches.

Be happy that big CN and his brother didn't get put on the top and bottom.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:45 AM #12 of 285
Also, are each of these best of 3? Otherwise I'm not sure how double elimination is supposed to work.
It's first to 3 wins... If you should reach the max amount of matches, you'll be fighting 5 matches against the person. When some one reaches a total of 3 wins, that player moves on, and the loser moves to the left side of the tournament board into the loser's bracket.

In a Double Elimination Tournament, you basically have a second chance to reach the finals by winning in the loser's bracket. Should you lose again in the loser's bracket, you're eliminated from the tournament.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:47 AM #13 of 285
Slash, you're not understanding this at all. I'm not even sure to begin with all that's wrong in your post, because honestly it's stupid. How can you not see that 1/3 of the players getting to skip a round is bad for the majority when it's as simple as:
Quote:
- Turbo vs. KrelEN
- Slicky vs. Black Mage
>
- Nexius vs. nazpyro
- AcerBandit vs. Ihopz
>
- Basil vs. nuttyturnip
-The_Griffin vs. Slash
>
- Identity Crisis vs. SuperSonic
- Kairyu vs. Tritoch
>
- BigCN401 vs. Freelance Wolf
- Generic Badass vs. Chaotic
>
- Lukage vs. Sprouticus
- Miles gets the free, random bye.
to make it entirely fair from the start. The round robin tournament is just another simple solution, and not even close to as complex as you seem to think.

Why are the only two people complaining about it ones without a bye? That's most of the people participating right there, and there haven't been many posts in the thread yet. Odds are someone saying something won't have a bye, so don't go trying to imply we're whining out of jealousy. I'm not saying I'm going to quit or anything, but especially now that there's a prize involved I care that there's an even playing field. You're making it sound like a simple bracket restructuring would be the end of the world. Even if Chaotic's right and this bracket is theoretically fair in the end, there just isn't a need for all these byes.

On the plus side, Chaotic's program did do a neat job with the bracket presentation.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:57 AM #14 of 285
Seeing the filled in bracket (with the explanation of how the double elimination works) helps me understand this a little better. I'm still not comfortable with the byes, but I'm not sure how you'd keep track of the double elimination without some sort of complicated set-up like this.

I like how Sparky's getting all upset about this when all I was looking for was a little clarification. Take some Ambien and sleep it off.

How ya doing, buddy?
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:59 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 11:59 PM #15 of 285
Tritoch, believe it or not, I actually do understand where you are coming from but if there is a 1 v 1 v 1 or even a 3x3 round robin for each side, then that could take out a fun lil upset factor.

And we already know BigCN or his brother will get the prize. j/k lol. But the brackets do even themselves out and we should just play the tournament out. OR you could attempt to hunt down 9 other people to get in the tournament and try to convince Chaotic to add them in and postpone the tournament.

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:03 AM #16 of 285
Yeah (to Nutty), after reading Chaotic's post about how the double elimination will work it seems to require something complicated. To be honest, I don't really understand it at all, but it makes a strange kind of sense. I still distrust such a large number of byes, but if it's necessary to pull off double elimination then so be it I suppose.

I'll crush all comers anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Spoiler:
Be gentle, Identity Crisis. ;_;

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:05 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 12:05 AM #17 of 285
Tritoch...just remember...Landmasters

The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:06 AM #18 of 285
I don't fear the Landmasters. I fear IC's ungodly ability to win no matter what the odds are more than any puny smash attack.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:08 AM #19 of 285
Ok, one more question about the bracket. Using your filled in example, Chaotic made it all the way to the end of the winners' bracket without losing a single match. Let's say Kairyu wins the losers' bracket. Since he's already lost once, would he have to beat Chaotic in two straight matches to win? Otherwise, the winners' bracket wins by default, since they have one loss to fall back on.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:08 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 12:08 AM #20 of 285
LoL But look who you're facing in your first match

And Chaotic said that the final match (Winners Bracket v Losers Bracket) Is an all or nothing battle so if the person in the winners bracket loses, the lose. No second chance. (Which sucks but eh..life goes on?)

How ya doing, buddy?
The Plane Is A Tiger

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:14 AM #21 of 285
LoL But look who you're facing in your first match

And Chaotic said that the final match (Winners Bracket v Losers Bracket) Is an all or nothing battle so if the person in the winners bracket loses, the lose. No second chance. (Which sucks but eh..life goes on?)
Meh, so I'm facing Guy Who Hates Landmasters, then Guy Who Loves Landmasters, then Guy Who IS A Landmaster. They'll bleed like all the rest. Well, maybe not Miles. He may just drip fuel.

Also, I wasn't going to say anything since I was a bit tired of arguing, but I think the final match should be best of three. It would suck for either side to lose the whole tournament on a one match fluke after fighting all the way there, and I'd rather there be a definitive winner.

Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:18 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2008, 12:18 AM #22 of 285
I think its best of 5 actually.

I mean though that if the winner bracket loses the best of 5, there won't be another match.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:57 AM #23 of 285
Thinking about it, meh, I'll just let everything play out the way it's supposed to. Screw the do or die idea.

Answering your question, nutty, yes if Kai did win the Loser's Bracket, he would have to defeat me in two sets to eliminate me. It's the way the tournament works...

Ironically, I did set up the board if I did lose a round in the tournament.

When you look rightmost part of the bracket, I ended up being the winner of the Winner's Bracket (which explains my lack of losses) and Ihopz is the Winner of the Loser's Bracket. His name was moved to the right side where I won the Winner's bracket.

Now, we faced off in our matches, and I ended up losing to him (randomly speaking 5-3). I move down to the Loser's side and I have to face him again. Now we're both in danger of being eliminated since he's been eliminated once from the loser's bracket and so have I. At this point it's do or die. This time, I end up winning and knock out Ihopz from the tournament leaving me the winner.

Hopefully, that makes everything a little bit clearer. Everyone still has to technically lose twice in the tournament to be eliminated. Had I won the first time around, I would've ended up winning the whole tournament without a single loss to my name.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Chaotic; Mar 30, 2008 at 02:59 AM.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 02:58 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2008, 09:58 PM #24 of 285
Yeah, that is a lot of byes for a double elimination tournament.
Seeing that we probably wouldn't have 16 or 32 players involved why not use the swiss tourney style, Chaotic? I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just curious .

Anyway, I'm ready to do some matches Tritoch. If you want to, we can schedule our match at more reasonable time. It must be late over there =o.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2008, 03:12 AM #25 of 285
Eh, we could, but I just don't feel like it at this point. I have the brackets set up and I just don't want to have randomize everything again making people fear that they're gonna get Ihopz as their first match.

As I said before, I was iffy about all the byes, but the program did it, not me. So get mad at tio tournament maker! I'm just following that and I hope we could still have fun despite having seven byes in this. <_<

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [] March Smashness (1v1 Tournament)