Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:51 AM #1 of 107
Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!

Man, there are some spelling errors that really grind my shit up a fucking wall. The big one for me is genious.

PEOPLE. There is no "o" in the word GENIUS. It seems to be an epidemic with all of my friends since I know very few of them who can spell it correctly, even amongst the smart ones.

Another one I don't particularly enjoy is definately. This is a tricky one since it LOOKS correct, but anyone with good spelling would see otherwise.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:00 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 04:00 PM #2 of 107
I admit, I used to think definitely was spelled with an a just until a few months ago, and I kind of feel ashamed for not knowing all these years, being somewhat obsessive with my spelling. But then again, I'm a swede, so I'll just blame it on not being my native language

One of my pet peeves is when people mix up "your" and "you're". IT'S SO AGGRAVATING.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:17 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 04:17 PM #3 of 107
The big one for me is genious.
It really gets confusing because both 'genius' and 'genious' are real words. They can't be intermixed, since one is a noun and the other is an adjective, but people use them both for the same anyway. GRAAAH.

Its/it's, also used incorrectly without remorse. Sometimes even I stop to think about which one to use.

Also: THERE/THEIR/THEY'RE. The most horrible trio ever. Discerning the difference between them is very hard to native english speakers only, for some strange reason. And both hilarious and very sad at the same time.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:17 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 12:47 AM #4 of 107
I admit, I used to think definitely was spelled with an a just until a few months ago, and I kind of feel ashamed for not knowing all these years, being somewhat obsessive with my spelling. But then again, I'm a swede, so I'll just blame it on not being my native language
I can relate to your story, I was spelling definitely with an "a" up until a week or two ago, the only difference being my native language is english.

The only typos that really infuriate me are ones made by my fellow Aussies. I hate when they spell words like, colour, honour, humour etc. without the "u". I hate the American-isms mostly. The particular one that really grinds my gears though and it's almost universal among Australian population, is spelling the word gaol as "jail".

I remember a spelling test I had in primary school, where we were asked to spell goal. I spelt the word correctly, the proper way, but it was marked wrong, the correct spelling was listed as "jail". As a child both my parents were teachers (at my school, we lived in the country) and they used to drill their proper grammar and spelling into my head everyday, so after school I went home an complained. My Dad who was the principal and he literally went fucking ape-shit at my teacher. We ended up having a couple of full classes of how to spell words the Australian way.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:35 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 04:35 PM #5 of 107
My Dad who was the principal and he literally went fucking ape-shit at my teacher.

Originally Posted by Kishin
Discerning the difference between them is very hard to native english speakers only, for some strange reason.
Probably because people who learn English as a second language nowadays largely do it by reading (on the Internet), whereas native speakers naturally first learn by listening. Inevitable result: non-native speakers end up being better at spelling homophones.

I was speaking idiomatically.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:20 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 05:20 PM #6 of 107
My main thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is "yea" without the H at the end, and conversely, writing yea or nay as "yay or nay". I just can't see yea without thinking "sounds like yay", so anyone using yea to agree with someone instantly sounds really silly in my head.

I've sort of learned to let it go and not complain about it when other people do it, mostly because it really is a typo a lot of time, and not willful ignorance. But when I do it, I can't just let it go--I have to go and "edit" it (or do that yeah* thing or +h or whatever).

But when people write yea or nay as "yay" or nay, there really is no excuse. It's not yay, you're not at a birthday party, write it properly, or use another expression that you know how to spell. Like, "yes or no".

Definitely was one that I really struggled with for a long time, until a friend pointed out that it contains "finite".

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 23, 2008 at 10:23 AM.
Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:40 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 09:40 AM #7 of 107
One of my pet peeves is when people mix up "your" and "you're". IT'S SO AGGRAVATING.
Quote:
Also: THERE/THEIR/THEY'RE. The most horrible trio ever. Discerning the difference between them is very hard to native english speakers only, for some strange reason. And both hilarious and very sad at the same time.
These two are my big ones. When Chinese immigrants and Japanese business people coming abroad can make usage of these differences in a business email better than the Americans can, I start scratching my head.

Oh, discerning usage of "then" as opposed to "than" is a common one I find as well. I almost made the mistake myself.

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:45 AM #8 of 107
I had a friend who would say "wholly shit" instead of "holy shit." Thankfully, when I finally sat him down and corrected his mistake, he owned up to it, citing that he thought it was meant to exclaim something was comprised entirely of shit. Pretty funny but still annoyed me

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:51 AM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 10:51 AM #9 of 107
These seem more like cases of people not knowing the English language...I only consider it a typo if the person knows the correct spelling but makes a mistake out of haste or neglect. Stuff like "teh" and "adn." "Teh" annoys me the most, especially if they do it *every time*.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 11:59 AM Local time: Mar 24, 2008, 12:59 AM #10 of 107
"Rediculous" is a pretty ridiculous mistake to make.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:01 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 06:01 PM #11 of 107
what about "your" instead of "you're" and stuff like that?

Most amazing jew boots
Squib
Carob Nut

Member 27690

Level 5.67

Jan 2008

Old Mar 23, 2008, 01:28 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 11:28 AM 1 #12 of 107
Not a typo since it's not an accidental mistake, but when people type "would of, "could of," or "should of." None of those phrases make sense. It's "would have," "could have," or "should have." I understand why the mistake is made because the contractions for the phrases make it sound like the mistake, but it doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly annoying.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 01:35 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 07:35 PM #13 of 107
I hate the greengrocers' apostrophe. You all know what I mean, right?

Onion's Cabbage's Carrot's

I also hate using the possessive form of a word that ends in "s" because even though I know that you should put the apostrophe after the "s", it just looks so wrong. Sometimes I twist a sentance around in knots to avoid using the posessive apostrophe.

Hi, My Name Is Hito
A slime draws near!

Member 304

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:23 PM #14 of 107
I don't like it when people incorrectly spell the word sentence.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:28 PM #15 of 107
Not a typo since it's not an accidental mistake, but when people type "would of, "could of," or "should of." None of those phrases make sense. It's "would have," "could have," or "should have." I understand why the mistake is made because the contractions for the phrases make it sound like the mistake, but it doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly annoying.
What drives me nuts is that 'would've' sounds just like 'would of', so a lot of reporters who are crappy / subtly pointing out that the person they're transcribing are idiots will make this mistake. It's totally transparent bullshit.

These two are my big ones. When Chinese immigrants and Japanese business people coming abroad can make usage of these differences in a business email better than the Americans can, I start scratching my head.
Now, I know that trained professionals who learn a language specifically to steal our American dollars and our American jobs writing in a business context will have better grammar than assholes on the internet talking about Yugioh cards. Therefore, I'm calling bullshit on this one.

Oh, and Shorty, I heard you're japanese. Is this true?

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Sarag; Mar 23, 2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:31 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 01:31 PM 3 #16 of 107
What drives me nuts is that 'would've' sounds just like 'would of', so a lot of reporters who are crappy / subtly pointing out that the person they're transcribing are idiots will make this mistake. It's totally transparent bullshit.
Biggest typo pet peeve is when people write that their favourite game is Final Fantasy VIII, which is clearly impossible since they're capable of writing, and as such, some form of rational thought. One can only assume they have sticky "I" keys.

Irregardless is the one that gets to me, just makes me so frownyface when people say it. Or people who say things like "self-inserts himself." Oh, and rediculous.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Mar 23, 2008 at 02:36 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 02:37 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 01:37 PM #17 of 107
Oh, not to mention the genius that is people who look at you and tell you "I could care less." Just... stop speaking my language. You suck at it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 03:03 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 01:03 PM #18 of 107
It really gets confusing because both 'genius' and 'genious' are real words.

Genious is a real word? Every dictionary I've checked says otherwise.

Pretty much everyone here has said what I was going to say. Though I just hate it when I can't spell restaurant properly. I sometimes spell it 'resturant'. Bah!

gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:01 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 01:01 PM #19 of 107
I hate people that spell tomorrow as "tomarrow". And I hate it when my cousin says "tlk to me". It's really not that hard to add an a. I thought it was just an error one time, but she does it constantly. =[

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:01 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 11:01 PM #20 of 107
Genious is a real word? Every dictionary I've checked says otherwise.
Ah, my bad. I had the idea that it was 'genious', not 'ingenious'. I don't know where that came from.

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:19 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 10:19 PM #21 of 107
Actually the ones I hate are the deliberately misspelled words. Like some people will say "welp" or "whelp" instead of "well". Those aren't words. There are thousands of examples like that.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:26 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 03:26 PM #22 of 107
Actually the ones I hate are the deliberately misspelled words. Like some people will say "welp" or "whelp" instead of "well". Those aren't words. There are thousands of examples like that.
Oh. Or faggy fucking newage/emo kids who say shit like "Oh my goth." You know what's not clever? You if you say that. Just... pathetic.

How ya doing, buddy?

Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:56 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 10:56 PM #23 of 107
Oh. Or faggy fucking newage/emo kids who say shit like "Oh my goth." You know what's not clever? You if you say that. Just... pathetic.
You encountered someone who says that? Did you somehow manage to restrain yourself from curbstomping them? It's more than I probably could have done. I suppose if you encountered them over the internet the opportunity was never there. I'd be horrified if I met someone who thought that was clever. That's a perfect example of the kind of deliberate use of misspellings and mispronunciations that get on my nerves.

Oh... to preserve my grammar credentials I suppose I should acknowledge that "whelp" is actually a word. It just doesn't mean the same thing as "well", and may not be used in that context. I don't want to seem ignorant.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Soluzar; Mar 23, 2008 at 04:59 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:59 PM Local time: Mar 23, 2008, 03:59 PM #24 of 107
There's a couple kids I know that use it. I see it on the internet a lot. The kids I know who use it are first year kids who dress like a Nomura character. We were out for a pint once and they tagged along, one of them said, and I quote, "Oh my goth, this pecan pie is great." I slapped them upside the head and glared. They asked me if I was religious, and I had to explain it wasn't my faith that was offended, as I don't have any, it was my enjoyment of the English language that took affront.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Decoy Goat
25 to life on probation

Member 650

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 23, 2008, 08:44 PM #25 of 107
Senorita Preved wrote while forgetting to log out Decoy Goat:

I don't realy care about typos other people make, but sometimes i have trouble with words that I learned when I was first learning english and for some reason or other, heard wrong.

The biggest one was "Fulfill." for some reason, I had heard it as "furfill" ages ago, and I spelled it as such until last year. I also use the wrong verbs alot, like asking my boyfriend to "grind some cheese"

I <3 Cheryl.

Last edited by Decoy Goat; Mar 23, 2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: >>sharing a computer is tricksy sometimes

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Typos taht drive you CRAZEY!