Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Filesystem woes

YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:42 PM #1 of 7
Filesystem woes

Aaaah... I'm not sure how I should articulate what I want to say, but I guess I'll start with the following:

FUCK.

There. In a bit more detail, I guess what I mean to say is, I apparently just lost 130GB worth of data on one of my drives because of a filesystem error. I'm running Windows XP SP1 with NTFS as filesystem for that particular drive. Now, what I want to know is, is there a way to recover that stuff now? Or, actually, HOW can I recover that stuff, because I sure as hell won't take "You can't do that" as an answer.

The first clue I got that something was wrong is the message saying that, well, essentially there was an issue with the filesystem on my E: drive and which oh so helpfully told me to run chdisk. Which I did, by rebooting. And which proceeded to display the message "DELETING ORPHANED FILE INDEX (INSERT ONE OF MY PRECIOUS FILES HERE)" roughly a bazillion times. Fucker. So, yeah, that was pretty much my second clue that something was wrong. Third was the unusually high amount of free space on said drive when I checked after my computer was done booting up.

Anyway, it's a drive with mostly data on it, but some of that stuff I don't have backup for due to the space it would take, and probably won't be able to get again except with much effort, if at all. My books...

So, yeah, how do I recover that stuff? For now I'll shut my machine down in order to prevent Windows from doing a "preventive defrag" or whatever the hell it'll probably try to do. I'll check back tomorrow morning.

And I was halfway through "Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman!", and enjoying it quite a bit too.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:56 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:56 PM #2 of 7
Start up the Windows Recovery Console via the WinXP disc and run:

CHKDSK /f

on the affected drive and let me know how it goes. I believe SP2 fixes this issue if CHKDSK /f works for you.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Cetra; Mar 7, 2006 at 12:02 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 01:12 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 11:12 PM #3 of 7
I'd say try getting the harddrive utility tools from both Maxtor and Western Digital, those have solved random problems I've had a few times now when things went wrong (also try searching their websites for problems similar to your own). You can always give Partition Magic a shot, though I've never had much luck with it.

I think it was the Western Digital tool that saved my 80GB partition from being lost to some mysterious cause (I think it had to do with some wonky issue in Alcohol accidentally removing something that caused something to do something which made me waste three days fixing my drive).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
freaKperfume
The Glory of Arioch

Member 665

Level 15.48

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:13 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 01:13 PM #4 of 7
CHKDSK has, in my experience, always done more harm than good. I've found "GetDataBack for NTFS" a very valuable and effective tool. The downsides: You need enough space on another drive to backup the data you want, it'll take an awfully big amount of time on a big drive, and it's not freeware.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:41 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:41 PM #5 of 7
Run CHKDSK /f it may be that all your files need indexing again.

I get this error sometimes when I reinstall windows XP, I can't see any of my files, so I just run CHKDSK /f, and basically it recovers all of my files and reindexes them, and then I can see/access them.

Most amazing jew boots
YeOldeButchere
Smoke. Peat. Delicious.

Member 246

Level 21.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 03:38 PM #6 of 7
It seems there is no such thing as an /f option for my version of chkdsk... I did, however, attempt it with the /r option, supposed to repair stuff.

It failed miserably.

As I don't have 130GB worth or free space anywhere, that "GetDataBack for NTFS" program isn't of much use. I'll try something with partition magic, then I'll try to get a CD for WinXP SP2 and boot on that. The drive in question is a Western Digital, but unfortunately, I don't think it came with any software, so I guess I can't try that.

Any other ideas are, of course, welcome.

EDIT: Ok, so it seem partition magic sees 14% of the partition, or roughly 20GB, as "Bad". Though it doesn't seem to be possible to repair it with partition magic.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by YeOldeButchere; Mar 7, 2006 at 03:42 PM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:07 PM #7 of 7
Butcher, you can download software from the WD website. You don't seriously think I drag all of my installation disks with me when I'm at school, do you?

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Filesystem woes