Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Package managment system for Windows?

Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:10 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 01:10 AM #1 of 5
Package managment system for Windows?

Is there, by any chance some 3rd party software package/repository solution (think APT or Portage) for Windows? It's such an ordeal to download all that crap seperately and keep it updated. A one-two click solution would be neat, at least for freeware/open source software.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:13 PM #2 of 5
Not really, since Windows doesn't operate off a package system: applications are, effectively, in most cases, independent: shared libraries--if any exist for a given application--would be written to a system folder (%windir% or %windir%\system32, for example) by the installer for a program so that it could load the library via the fact that it exists in a directory specified in the PATH variable. (The other case being that they would be stored in the program's root install directory.)

So, not really; even open source apps don't really provide a unified method.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 07:58 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 01:58 AM #3 of 5
I wasn't thinking of shared (or rather unshared) libs, rather the ability to open an interface, select the program to be installed, hit 'ok' and have it set up a minute later. And with all the binaries available at Sourceforge and other sites, such a system wouldn't even need its own servers, just download sources and silent install "recipes" so to speak (much like Portage on Gentoo does).

While I was googling around for such a program, I found this article which pretty much sums up how I feel about using Microsoft OS's these days (or set one up in this most tedious fashion).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Cyrus XIII; Mar 8, 2006 at 08:00 PM.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:08 PM #4 of 5
I know what you were thinking of. (I was trying to explain, albeit badly, that programs in Windows are relatively independent of eachother, so managing them properly from a single tool is somewhat hard.)

Sadly, one does not exist. It would be possible to make; it would take some time, I imagine, to get working right, though.

(Also, that article needs to learn to use Gentoo before Vidalinux ;_;
Even a Gentoo LiveCD (with X) would be sufficient >_>)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Magic
Good Chocobo

Member 492

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 08:47 PM #5 of 5
Sadly, we are still living in a time when software companies expect that we will have all their software on disks that we bought from a store instead of conveniently downloading them off of a file server. Although I think Windows definitely has the built-in technology to do something like this. Instead of using Windows Update to simply download Security Patches, wouldn't it be nice if it had useful stuff too? I guess you could also think of Steam as a sort of package system, though it only handles Half-Life mods and other games. I think the biggest problem with getting a Package system built into Windows is that you'd have too many competing companies with software in it.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Package managment system for Windows?