Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Tips: How to keep your computer safe

Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:16 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 02:16 PM #1 of 31
Tips: How to keep your computer safe

First off, READ THIS THREAD. There's a lot of great stuff here to help your computer.

1) if you're using Windows, run Windows Update! You can either go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ or turn on Automatic Updates in your Control Panel.

2) Install an anti-virus software. AVG Anti-Virus is free, so there's no excuse.
http://free.grisoft.com/

3) Install anti-spyware programs. I personally recommend a combo of SpywareBlaster and Spybot Search and Destroy.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html - SpywareBlaster
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ - Spybot Search & Destroy.

4) If you have a router, turn the firewall on. For instructions on this, read your router's documentation. Some programs may require port forwarding if you do this. For instructions on how to do this, check out http://www.portforward.com/

5) Install a popup blocker, or use a better browser, or both. I personally recommend Maxthon which has a built in ad/popup blocker, though Google's Popup Blocker makes a great suppliment. There is a bug with the newer GPB that causes come problems though, so you'll need an older one.
http://www.maxthon.com/
http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6685 - About Google Toolbar and a link to an older version

6) For the love of god people, DO NOT OPEN UNEXPECTED ATTACHMENTS.

To our Help Desk bigshots, add whatever you feel is needed.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
lindestinel
Still a Mirage

Member 159

Level 1.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:30 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 09:30 PM #2 of 31
I suggest to replace computer by windows in the title

I have only one thing to add: for 2000/XP the best way to keep it safe is to not use an administrator account for everyday usage.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 03:57 PM #3 of 31
As an alternative to Windows Update, Windiz Update is also available.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Neo-Zacar
Chocobo

Member 111

Level 10.49

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:00 AM #4 of 31
You didn't even mention software firewalls. They're much more important than any anti-virus ever.

NoScript is the most useful Firefox addon for me, haven't tried other popup block methods.

Most amazing jew boots
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:03 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 03:03 PM #5 of 31
I went with the hardware firewall because unlike software firewalls, they're always on. Software firewalls have a small gap time before they're on. Plus like other pieces of windows software, they can crash.

How ya doing, buddy?
Snowknight
may carry parasites

Member 165

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:09 PM #6 of 31
Yes, a good hardware firewall should be plenty of protection. If you must use a software firewall, Zone Alarm or Kerio (for Windows) are, at least, decent.
(If you're on Linux, I'd venture to guess that you know what to use. If you need a suggestion, iptables is quite nice.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Snowknight; Mar 2, 2006 at 04:14 PM.
nantuko
Wark!

Member 484

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 05:52 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:52 AM #7 of 31
I'd recommend the Opera browser. It is now free so there is no excuse not to try it. I'd suggest anyone to try Firefox too, lots of people find it great (it's not really the case for me even if I really do think it's much better than IE).

FELIPE NO
grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:40 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 12:40 AM #8 of 31
I´m sorry my question,
Does the Windows XP have any firewall? If yes: good?

BR

How ya doing, buddy?
Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:42 PM #9 of 31
I wouldn't suggest Windows Update, viruses are able to get into your computer. It's happened several times.

grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:17 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:17 AM #10 of 31
Originally Posted by Neogin
I wouldn't suggest Windows Update, viruses are able to get into your computer. It's happened several times.
um, I always thought that would better to make the windows updates often.
is it really so dangerous?

Duminas
Something

Member 29

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:25 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 05:25 PM #11 of 31
I'm sorry, what?

Leaving your computer running without performing a run of Windows Update begs for Bad Things more than running the updater does. Proper security measures (a good firewall, beit hardware or software) and not being an idiot about where you access will keep you reasonably safe from most things.

As far as browsers go, they're all perfectly usable. IE can be great if you do what was mentioned above--that is, employ Safe Browsing and take five minutes to configure it (and know what you're doing). With Opera 9 implementing a measure of ad blocking capability, I find it to be the most usable browser in my case (Linux). Combined with the `adzapper` script in squid, I haven't seen anything beyond AdSense and its brethren lately, which are wholly acceptable.

Need help using an FTP client? Look no further! ««
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:28 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 09:28 AM #12 of 31
What? I'm sorry, but running Windows Update does NOT facilitate entry of viruses into your computer.

http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/jo...&entryid=46522
Test

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:39 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 07:39 PM #13 of 31
Quote:
Get the fuck out of my forum.

Windows Update is designed to FIX flaws that can lead to viruses/trojans/etc. If you got viruses because of it, I recon to bullshit your statement.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 08:57 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 06:57 PM #14 of 31
Originally Posted by grodiens
I´m sorry my question,
Does the Windows XP have any firewall? If yes: good?

BR
Yes, but it doesn't block outgoing traffic. This isn't too much of a concern unless you don't want a hacker using a program to send data from your PC to theirs (get ZoneAlarm instead).
Fuuny thing: Since I got the internet (a few weeks back), I haven't had a SINGLE virus.
If you run Firefox, I HIGHLY suggest you follow these instructions. I very rarely get popups with G.Filterset and Adblock running.

Last edited by Kaiten; Mar 2, 2006 at 09:00 PM.
nantuko
Wark!

Member 484

Level 1.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:06 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 05:06 AM #15 of 31
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Yes, but it doesn't block outgoing traffic. This isn't too much of a concern unless you don't want a hacker using a program to send data from your PC to theirs (get ZoneAlarm instead).
Fuuny thing: Since I got the internet (a few weeks back), I haven't had a SINGLE virus.
If you run Firefox, I HIGHLY suggest you follow these instructions. I very rarely get popups with G.Filterset and Adblock running.
I haven't had any single virus of my life. I got Internet 3 years back and I have NEVER installed an anti-virus on my computer. I have a good firewall installed (Look 'n' Stop), use an excellent browser (Opera) and I'm very careful so I don't need an anti-virus.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:17 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2006, 08:17 PM #16 of 31
Originally Posted by nantuko
I haven't had any single virus of my life. I got Internet 3 years back and I have NEVER installed an anti-virus on my computer. I have a good firewall installed (Look 'n' Stop), use an excellent browser (Opera) and I'm very careful so I don't need an anti-virus.
As long as you get your downloads from a credible source viruses should never appear, when I downloaded files from the library (10GB+ over six years) I never got a single virus. For all those less than savvy users out there: never run programs from a website you can't trust (unless you scan it first)!

How ya doing, buddy?
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:37 PM #17 of 31
Originally Posted by Sir VG
Get the fuck out of my forum.

Windows Update is designed to FIX flaws that can lead to viruses/trojans/etc. If you got viruses because of it, I recon to bullshit your statement.

most of the time, that's true; however, sometimes the fixes themselves have flaws. i've definitely had times where i've gotten updates, only to have a less-stable computer. microsoft offers a patch a little later, etc.

in fact, any blanket statements about computer security aren't true in all cases-- i know hardware firewalls are also able to crash (though far less often than in windows).

just something to keep aware of!

How ya doing, buddy?
grodiens
Pango

Member 620

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:00 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 01:00 PM #18 of 31
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
As long as you get your downloads from a credible source viruses should never appear, when I downloaded files from the library (10GB+ over six years) I never got a single virus. For all those less than savvy users out there: never run programs from a website you can't trust (unless you scan it first)!
Thanks for your info.

Did you know a free and good anti virus software?
Is the adaware a good spyware software (I ask because each week I have 20 spyware on my pc, maybe normal)?

BR

Last edited by grodiens; Mar 3, 2006 at 08:05 AM.
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 08:54 AM #19 of 31
Originally Posted by grodiens
Thanks for your info.

Did you know a free and good anti virus software?
Is the adaware a good spyware software (I ask because each week I have 20 spyware on my pc, maybe normal)?

BR
avg free edition

Tir
Sneaky

Member 1176

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 10:20 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 07:20 PM #20 of 31
Originally Posted by RushJet1
Is it worth getting even though I have Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Redfield
Gooey Peach

Member 661

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 09:23 AM #21 of 31
Originally Posted by Tir
Is it worth getting even though I have Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot?
They do different things. Ad-Aware and SpyBot aren't anti-virus programs. I would say, "yes", it is worth getting.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tir
Sneaky

Member 1176

Level 12.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:31 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:31 PM #22 of 31
Originally Posted by 573
They do different things. Ad-Aware and SpyBot aren't anti-virus programs. I would say, "yes", it is worth getting.
Eheh, was a little sleepy when writing my post, I have AntiVir. And after that information?

Redfield
Gooey Peach

Member 661

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 01:53 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 10:53 AM #23 of 31
Originally Posted by Tir
I have AntiVir. And after that information?
I wouldn't know; I don't use anti-virus programs.

I really don't see much of a difference in programs, though. I'm sure someone else here will prove me wrong, though.

FELIPE NO
neus
You're getting slower!

Member 512

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 02:12 PM #24 of 31
I've found that Spybot S&D's Teatimer with ZoneAlarm Pro firewall is very effective. Though, I wouldn't recomend this if you've under 512MB of RAM.
Most of the programs mentioned above can be found on various bittorrent sites, and while I am not advocating this, it is a good to know if you are frustrated with the limitations of the software's free versions.

I use AVG Anvtivirus, Spybot S&D with Teatimer, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm Pro firewall and occasionally hijackthis. Good combination, if I say so myself.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by neus; Mar 3, 2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Top Secret Classified.
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2006, 03:46 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2006, 02:46 PM #25 of 31
Quote:
i know hardware firewalls are also able to crash (though far less often than in windows).
Yeah, but if your router shuts down, so does your connection. So I wouldn't be worried about it.

Quote:
I personally use Spybot myself, though some swear by Ad-Aware. The thing I like about Spybot is that there is a way to set it to scan every week totally silent and w/o user intervention while getting all updates and all that by itself. Ad-Aware can't do that.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Tips: How to keep your computer safe