Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] The Quest 64

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 20, 2007, 09:20 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2007, 12:20 AM #1 of 30
The Quest 64

Have you guys ever gone on epic quests to find a game? Or even a system? Like, something you really, really wanted and even thinking about getting your grubby mits on it would make you excited in the pants just a bit. I'm not talking about launch day crap like "oh EB didn't have the game, I had to go all the way across the road to find a copy, my legs were tired and I fell asleep before reaching the counter, but I got it!"

Maybe something like an older game you suddenly got the urge to replay, or one that you've only just heard of and must consume, but oh no! Target don't sell Amiga games in 2007! Even a game that suffered an extremely limited print run or whatever (I hear Atlus games are a bitch to find in America after a short while).

Me, I spent about ten years searching for HES' adaptor that lets you play Master System games on the Mega Drive. Ten years. Twenty four hours a day, every day, ten years. True story. Sorta. It was pretty important to me, because it saves precious RF cable disaster hook up time, what with only having to fumble around with one system. Of course it's even easier to just dump all that and go for emulators, but sssh.

When the PlayStation 2 rolled around, I had to play catch up with original PlayStation titles since I had virtually no experience with the system (me and my mates only had N64's during that candyland era). I discovered via the power of the internet that a semi-sequel to The Neverhood existed on it, Skullmonkeys. Original PlayStation games were still pretty common to find in stores at that time, but Skullmonkeys? Nooooooo. It took a good while of picking through garage sales and dodgy, stuffy second hand record stores to find it. I don't do eBay, so that makes things ten thousand times more frustrating/interesting.

And Skies of Arcadia: Legends. Oh dear. Before THQ stepped in, Atari used to distribute Sega games here. And they did a horrible job of it! I couldn't find a copy of the game at all, mere weeks after launch. After a year, a friend was awesome enough to send me a copy of the American version and I had a fun, enjoyed. Probably one of the best games I've ever played.

But two months ago I came across the ONLY PAL copy I'd EVER SEEN in EB. I instantly snatched it up out of :nerdshock:. Turns out Atari had cleaned out their warehouse stock, and it popped up at random EB's across Australia. So they'd decided to keep all these copies of the game rotting away rather than ship them back in 2003. ;_;

Worth the massive amount of time wasted to dig through piles of horror. <3

Also, is there anything you're currently on the QUEST for? I'm trying to track down a copy of 'Akira Psycho Ball' now. What could be more awesome than whacking TETSUUUUOOOOOOO with a small metal ball? Not much! Apparently it was released in 2002, so it's gotta be out there somewhere! Figures that it was another game handled by Atari.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Apr 20, 2007 at 09:37 AM.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2007, 10:44 AM #2 of 30
I remember back before the Internet was widespread, questing for games was so much more fun. Nowadays, if there's a rare game in a store, somebody snatches it up so they can sell it on Ebay (sure, I'm guilty of this too, but I'm just saying).

I first got my NES around the time Megaman 4 came out (that's the first one I bought). MM2 and 3 were easy to find, but it was a massive quest to find MM1. Finally, we were on vacation, and I found a new copy of MM1 in a Toys R Us. Man, was I excited by it's craptactularness.

Back in those days, I used to love to hit up old Toys R Uses (back when they still had the walls of flaps, and you took a slip up to the register) and cheesy Kmarts (actually, Kmarts in the ghetto still have good stuff because folks are afraid to go there).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2007, 04:01 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2007, 03:01 PM #3 of 30
Once, a long time ago, i was pumping so much money into renting Chrono Trigger, so i could actually beat it (my parents had one of those no more than two hours a day rules). Finally, i managed to find a copy of it in a Microplay for $40, and my parents said that was too much money.

I told them if i didn't snatch it now, i'd probably never see it again.

That was all too true. I have never actually seen a SNES incarnation of Chrono Trigger since that day, what with living in Canada 'nall (in Canada, games disappear off the face of the country (i'm not even joking, i dare ya to try and find a copy of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney)

Ever since that day i've been searching. Around the time of ebay's foray into the internet, i just lost interest, and frankly didn't care anymore. After a while, i developed a hankerin' to play the game, and began my search. It lasted about a week and a half of intense calling around the city to different stores to see if they had a second hand copy of it, or the PS1 port. Eventually, i happened in on a copy of Final Fantasy Chronicles for 10 buck. I bought it (even though i was working (driving a delivery to our mall location, and there's a EE right next door)). I've played it through about 5 times since.

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2007, 08:24 PM #4 of 30
That's funny about Chrono Trigger. I put it on my Christmas list the year it came out, only half interested and not realizing it cost $70 US, but my dad bought it for me. My brother's still got the cart.

What's funny is a few years ago I was in the playroom of a Moose lodge (one of those fraternal organizations for old folks), and they had an SNES set up. Among their games they had Chrono Trigger and I think Super Mario RPG (I know it was another rare game). I was really depressed that they had such gems lying around in a playroom for little kids who couldn't appreciate their value.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 21, 2007, 02:14 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2007, 05:14 PM #5 of 30

Back in those days, I used to love to hit up old Toys R Uses (back when they still had the walls of flaps, and you took a slip up to the register)
Oh man, I used to love that set-up. Except some people would be goons and peel off every single one then dump them. Still beats the boring 'we'll put the games in security cases' they have now. There's no peeling fun to be had with that!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2007, 03:44 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2007, 02:44 PM #6 of 30
I was really depressed that they had such gems lying around in a playroom for little kids who couldn't appreciate their value.
oh god.................

I don't know quite how to feel right now.

I hate that situation. Recently i was at a family reunion at a resort in a small town near Winnipeg. It was being rented by two different groups, our's and church group or something like that. In the basement rec room they have what would've been a fancy big screen TV about 10 years ago, where you can hook up video game systems if you so desire. They've always had a 64 down there. I'm not sure if the games belonged to the resort or if somebody had brought them, but regardless there was Vigilante 8 and V8: Second Offense just lying around in a pile of a bunch of worthless movie licensed games.

I've never come so close to stealing anything in my life.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 22, 2007, 11:57 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 02:57 PM #7 of 30
Holy hand grenades this thread is magic. So just days after mentioning I was on the Quest 64 for Akira, I found the bastard.

TETSUUUUUUUUUOOOOOO!

So now with this knowlege of the threads power, I'm on the Quest 64 to win the lotto.

FELIPE NO
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 09:12 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 08:12 AM #8 of 30
I am on a quest to find Atari 5200 controller replacements that actually work and don't wear out or kill your fingers/thumbs. Wish me luck on that one! Seriously, I would play Pitfall II, Qix, and Super Breakout all the time if I located such a device...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:02 AM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 05:02 PM #9 of 30
The one game I'm looking for and thus, I'm on THE QUEST 64 for is Snatcher for the Mega CD.

All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:07 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 05:07 AM #10 of 30
I'm still hoping that someday, a copy of R.A.D. will show up at an EB Games somewhere, and I can snap it up before anyone else can. I never saw any copies of the game even when it was new.

How ya doing, buddy?
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:36 PM #11 of 30
A while ago for me it was Disgaea.

After hearing many good things about it from friends I decided to run out a search and find it. Considering the fact I can't order stuff online and I couldn't drive anywhere at the time, I was limited to the two malls and just waiting at the right moment to strike when it was available.

Lucky for me, I eventually did find it at my local Gamestop. Problem was for me, did I really want to burn $45 on a used game? I put it down for about 10 minutes and run to the Apple store across the mall (Most people use it for a free internet cafe... I do too. <.<). After discovering that there wasn't a single copy within a 200 mile radius within my zip code, I finally broke down and bought it. I haven't regretted the decision since.

Months later, copies start popping up everywhere and the price drops. <_<

I'm currently searching for Rez at the moment and have found one. Now it's just about overcoming my reluctance to buy games at times.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:42 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 06:42 PM #12 of 30
Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land =Y It was hard to track down, but I found it for around $35 a year or so back. It's not a real successful genre here unfortunately, but the game fucking rules. This and King's Field: The Ancient City were sleepers but primo-games. I love them both to DEATH =3 But Wizardry was tricky to find, at least for a decent price.

I remember when Phoenix Wright (first one) was discontinued, I hunted for a loooong time to find a copy of it for less than $70. I found a copy for sale for $30 (!!!) somewhere and ordered it like no other. Weeks passed and I didn't hear anything. I then got e-mailed a month after I ordered it and they said "Sorry, game got destroyed in route. Here's your money back." I really wonder if the game was destroyed... Maybe the seller saw he could double the amount he was asking for and did so o_o

But I bit the bullet and paid $65 for a copy. Then a week after I got the game, Capcom said "LETS SELL IT AGAIN" and reprinted PW1. As a result I was out $30 thanks to the price difference >< Ugh...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Apr 24, 2007 at 06:44 PM.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:28 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 07:28 PM 1 #13 of 30
Speaking of Phoenix Wright, while I wasn't searching for a copy, my friend was. So I was in a (formerly) rival game store, Rhino Games, browsing through their selection when I spotted a new, sealed copy for *gasp* $30. I bought it for him, and he paid me back. I made $10, so I was happy enough.

However, in a similar and much more personally gratifying situation, I started tracking down copies of both Tales of Eternia and Breath of Fire III for the PSP. So I relentlessly Quest 64'd the 'net for copies, but for a pirce tag no less than $60 not including shipping. I wasn't about to pay $150+ for two games, so I continued hunting.

As it turns out, Rhino Games stocked import titles on occasion, and during the conversion time I went to one of the stores a decent journey away from my apartment. Good thing I did, as I saw both copies of the game, brand new, for only $30 a piece. So I brought them to the counter and they told me I....could not buy them. They didn't have a SKU number for them, so they had no way of selling them. I asked them to hold it until they did get the SKU, and a couple days later they called me and told me they could sell 'em.

So I went back, assuming I was gonna pay $60, and found them listed as "Generic PSP Game" which automatically means they qualify as used merchandise, and they were marked down to $15 a piece.

I was so happy, so very very happy.

Another one I just remembered. I hit kind of a Final Fantasy 7 craze and really wanted to find a copy of Ehrgeiz. It took me a while, but I did find one online in good condition with the case and instructions for about $30, so I bought it. Case closed.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:50 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 05:50 PM #14 of 30
For the LONGEST time, I was searching for Lunar: SSSC after playing it on my brother-in-law's PSX (NOT PS1, YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!). I saw a copy the day before I bought my used PSX, and when I went to snag it... GONE. ;_;

I never did find a copy of that game before I moved to Seattle (where Lunar is all of 15 minutes away )

Then my PSX's lens got scratched because the motor that spins the disk was loose and I couldn't get the CD on straight... *sigh*

Depressing times.

Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 04:59 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 10:59 PM #15 of 30
I was searching Zelda's Adventure (CD-i) for quite a while. I think it took me about one and a half months of browsing through various eBay auctions to actually find a copy of that rare "gem". After tracking it down, another bidder got the item, outbidding me.
A week or two later I still tried to find it and ran across a auction of a whole CD-i collection. There was no list of the included games, just a very small and blurry picture showing the collection. I spotted the cover and won the auction. Got roughly 15 games for under 20 €. Among these, Zelda's Adventure and The Wand of Gamelon.

How ya doing, buddy?
dusk
with our faces pressed together

Member 7273

Level 7.53

May 2006

Old May 10, 2007, 07:14 PM Local time: May 10, 2007, 04:14 PM #16 of 30
Boo.

I thought this thread was going to be about THE Quest 64.

Disappointment on all accounts.

Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 01:21 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 12:21 AM #17 of 30
I was searching Zelda's Adventure (CD-i) for quite a while. I think it took me about one and a half months of browsing through various eBay auctions to actually find a copy of that rare "gem". After tracking it down, another bidder got the item, outbidding me.
A week or two later I still tried to find it and ran across a auction of a whole CD-i collection. There was no list of the included games, just a very small and blurry picture showing the collection. I spotted the cover and won the auction. Got roughly 15 games for under 20 €. Among these, Zelda's Adventure and The Wand of Gamelon.
Why in God's name would you want these games? As if Infernal Monkey isn't enough of a walking reminder why history needs to forget these games existed.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 04:04 PM #18 of 30
Perhaps the dignity of owning it?

Gimme a break, Stefan's Collection is ridiculous enough.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 10:21 PM #19 of 30
This thread is full of LIES.

I thought we'd be talking about Quest 64.

Forgive me, only picture google images found that wasn't 50x50 pixels

Horrible, horrible, horrible game. And to think I actually BOUGHT it...

On the topic of the LIES thread, though, I searched for Chrono Cross for the LONGEST time, like 3 or 4 years. I had played it when I was like 14 or something, I'd rented it and remembered liking it a lot, but it promptly fell off the face of the earth for YEARS. Every time I was in an EB or GameStop I'd look or ask for it, and they'd never have it. EVER. Then late last year someone had finally returned a damn copy of it. Snatched it up for $10, best buy ever.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 02:59 AM Local time: May 12, 2007, 05:59 PM #20 of 30
Ahahaha you bought Quest 64. This thread could indeed be about it though, you simply have to go on the quest to obtain Quest 64, again! Agaaaaain! Then you have to play it! And force a smile! Queeesst Sixxxxty Foooouuur! I like how they renamed it over here to try and escape the bad American reviews. DIDN'T WORK!

How ya doing, buddy?
Old May 12, 2007, 03:17 AM #21 of 30
My god what did they name it? =O

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 03:20 AM Local time: May 12, 2007, 06:20 PM #22 of 30

Not even the nicer box art could save it! Everyone knew! "QUEST 64 IS HERE BOLT THE DOOR SHUT!"

Old May 12, 2007, 03:27 AM #23 of 30
Wow, that is such a better name too. It would have been amazing if they had completely redone everything that sucked about it and released it in PAL to accompany the fresh paint that covered its outsides. It would have been mighty funny. =)

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 12:21 PM #24 of 30
Up until last November or so I'd been on an epic quest to find Metroid II: Return of Samus. I remember seeing a few people playing it on their Game Boys way back in elementary school and thinking "Wow, awesome!" For some reason we never bought it though, and we had like 70 GB games at one point. I don't remember if it was out of print by that time or if it was one of those games my brother told me "NAAAH it sucks, don't waste your money" and then wouldn't let me get it. It wasn't that I couldn't find a used copy of it since then, but more that I didn't want to pay the $20 everyone seemed to charge for it. My journey was ongoing until I found it for $8 at Rhino Games last semester. They even had one of the old cases to put it in!

In the same vein, I'm still trying to find a copy of Super Metroid for $8 or less. I would've been happy at any price before the Virtual Console, but now it would seem pretty stupid to pay more. I've only seen two copies of it since we sold off ours. One looked like it'd been run over by a truck several times and the other was $16 right after the Virtual Console prices were announced. The irritating thing about this game is that the cover looks exactly like NCAA Basketball '96 or something like that when flipping quickly through SNES bins.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 11:04 PM #25 of 30
Wow, that is such a better name too. It would have been amazing if they had completely redone everything that sucked about it and released it in PAL to accompany the fresh paint that covered its outsides. It would have been mighty funny. =)
That would require them to actually care about the PAL release.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] The Quest 64