Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[] Gym Battlers Open 2: This Time, It's Woopersonal

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:45 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 11:45 AM #1 of 93
We also would have accepted "Persianal"

After a somewhat long hiatus, Gym Leaders both old and new return for a chance to become one of the the Elite Four!* *Five participants required

The top two Gyms from the previous tournament, Psychic and Dragon, have been retired. Future tourneys will undoubtedly see their return, so fear not.

Current Sign Up Status: CLOSED

Originally Posted by Kairyu, with a little bit of GB
Tournament format: Round Robin
Since this is a round robin tournament you are required to fight everyone for at least one round. First to three wins/draws ought to do it, that means a minimum of three actual battles per person before switch against a new player. So be sure to log down your victories and losses! And post about it back here.

Points Break Down:
Win = 2 points
Draw = 1 Point (Either when each player's final Pokemon is KO'd in the same turn or when both players are in a deadlock lasting more than 10 mins. For the latter~ it is at both player's discretion to accept the draw. Not a requirement.)
Loss = 0 points

Once all players have done their rounds points will be tallied and the top 4 will battle it out for first place. Mostly to see who is the clear winner. To advance in the top 4, all you have to do is battle the person with more points than you (4th -> 3rd, 2nd -> 1st. Winner of those matches will then battle each other once.)

And one last thing. Any point ties that may effect placing in the top 4 will require a sudden death match (quick 3-on-3 battle.) An extra point will be given to the victor.
RULES:
  • Battles will be done at the lv.100 preset in either 6-on-6 or 3-on-3. In case participants do not have enough time to make a full team that can comply with this tournament.
  • All Pokémon in your team must be the same type you are given! Dual types are fine too.
  • If applicable, each team will be allowed one Pokemon of the Psychic or Dragon type. There is no restriction on whether it is their primary or secondary type, so long as the other type is that of your team.
  • No Legendary Pokémon and Wobbuffet. Gym leaders are too awesome for that.
  • Sleep Clause: At any one time only one pokemon on your opponent's team can be put to sleep by you.
  • Benching is allowed. On top of your team of 6 Pokémon you are allowed 3 alternates. This should help keep battles somewhat less predictable.

How to Enter:
Here's the interesting part. And the only fair method I could think of without going over board. To enter, post in this thread saying you want to play. "Maybe" and "I think" do not count as this next part is crucial to this tournament's success.
Before entering your post to play, type a number between 1 and 15 that has not been picked by a previous participant. That number will determine the above poster's element type. Once that is done I will then PM the above poster's type and let things go from there. Since this happens to be the opening post I will choose the last poster's number right now.
Last poster will get this number:

CURRENT PARTICIPANTS: (as of February 2)

- Black Mage - 2406-1602-4421
- Chaotic - 1332-5334-3114
DarkMageOzzie - Dropped out
- Crash Landon - 0645-2635-1419
- GB - 4854-3643-9530
- Identity Crisis - 3737-6076-6955
- Kairyu - 1246-5201-4026
- NinjaguyDan - TBD
- Sousuke - 0259 5604 6732

------------

TOURNAMENT RECORDS
I present you with my magnificent record-keeping chart made with the best MSPaint skills in the Western Hemisphere:

Some lines are thicker than the others because I originally had Ozzie in there for effect, but later cropped him out to keep the clutter down.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Feb 10, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 01:53 PM #2 of 93
In. Definitely.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:10 PM #3 of 93
I sort of oppose the no Psychics/Dragons as a secondary typing rule because that does rule out some good choices for otherwise less-than-ideal types. For example, if someone gets Steel, then it means Metagross and Bronzong are both disqualified. The same goes for Fighting - Medicham and Gallade are lost. Water loses Kingdra. These are significant setbacks.

It only seemed unfair when a person's team was overloaded with Dragons or Psychics. I don't think they should be banned altogether. I would suggest that any team's roster cannot have more than two of any combination of Psychics or Dragons.

That said, I'll still participate.

I choose 14.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 03:02 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 01:02 PM #4 of 93
I sort of oppose the no Psychics/Dragons as a secondary typing rule because that does rule out some good choices for otherwise less-than-ideal types. For example, if someone gets Steel, then it means Metagross and Bronzong are both disqualified. The same goes for Fighting - Medicham and Gallade are lost. Water loses Kingdra. These are significant setbacks.

It only seemed unfair when a person's team was overloaded with Dragons or Psychics. I don't think they should be banned altogether. I would suggest that any team's roster cannot have more than two of any combination of Psychics or Dragons.
The reason I decided against allowing secondary types was because of how disproportionately it helps certain types compared to others-- for example, Steel gets the absurdly powerful Metagross and Bronzong, and Water and Ground get a dragon while no one else does (and on top of that, both types already have ample amounts of beasts). As for Fighting, it really only loses Medicham since Gallade has Psychic as a primary type.

Steel and Fighting will have smaller pools to choose from, sure, but I've counted seven very competitive pokemon in both groups, and 2-4 others that would be a decent enough pool to make up the rest of their reserve teams. They'd be working under better conditions than Ghost, that's for sure. Lastly, Water and Ground will do plenty fine without access to Kingdra and Flygon.

I see no real reason to add them when we already agreed last time that true fairness has to be thrown out the window to do Gym tournaments. But if I see there's strong support for Crash's idea (please voice it if you do support it), I'll restart this number-calling process. We won't need a full week to get all the participants signed up.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Feb 2, 2009 at 03:05 PM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:13 PM #5 of 93
I could definitely see the opposition for secondary typing because almost all fully evolved Dragons are double typed. If we only ban primary types, that only KOs the first and/or second form of the Pokemon.

But now that I received my type, I'm kind of against the whole banning thing since there seems to be some Pokemon of that certain type that makes up the OU category for my team. If those Pokemon are gone, then there goes my whole battling game.

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:23 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 02:23 PM #6 of 93
EDIT: Nevermind, we'll compromise here. Not to mention I just realized I, um, fucked this process up and gave people types based on the numbers they themselves chose; not based on the next member's number.

Each team will be allowed one Pokemon of the Psychic or Dragon type. There is no restriction on whether it is their primary or secondary type.

Agreed?

Chaotic and Crash, please reselect your numbers.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Feb 2, 2009 at 05:51 PM.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:31 PM #7 of 93
Eh, works for me. As long as I could get one of them, I should be fine.

EDIT: Because Icy's right and for the record: 1332 5334 3114.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Chaotic; Feb 2, 2009 at 04:42 PM.
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:35 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 02:35 PM #8 of 93
I'll join in on this. Chaotic can have mystery number 11.

EDIT: Oh yeah, here's my friend code for convenience's sake. 3737-6076-6955

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 04:40 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 11:40 AM #9 of 93
Shiiiiiiiit, so there's a chance I'll see Icy's Steven again.

I'll go with 13.

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:04 PM #10 of 93
We'll say that I'm in. I'll have to grab my code later though, as I haven't connect to WiFi with this cart yet. [So if you still have a code for me, go ahead and remove it. I'm not there anymore!]

Kairyu, you get lucky number 7.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Last edited by Sousuke; Feb 2, 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:13 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 03:13 PM #11 of 93
Well, I guess I'll put up a new ChocoDecided number in a moment.

And I'll start adding Friend Codes from the first tournament. If they have changed, please tell me!

Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:35 PM #12 of 93
Whoops, I totally forgot that the CD number was 7. I can change it if you want.

chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:38 PM Local time: Feb 2, 2009, 03:38 PM #13 of 93
Too late, it's already been replaced! 1 is now the off-limits number.

Not to worry though, I needed to change it for the reshuffling. The original post has been edited due to recent events, and in fairness I've also made it known what type I am-- Dark.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Feb 2, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 2, 2009, 06:00 PM #14 of 93
I'll take 2 this time and hope for the best.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Feb 2, 2009, 08:02 PM #15 of 93
I shall pick the number 8 and I need to find my code...

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 04:36 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 02:36 AM #16 of 93
If you guys know of anyone else who might be interested in participating, please talk to them about it. I know it's only day two of registration, but I'm pretty sure the all of the usual suspects are already present and accounted for.

I'll PM some of the people from last time who still post.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 5, 2009, 07:09 PM #17 of 93
I've got my team pretty much set to go. I'm iffy about my chances; my type is decent but comes with two very common weaknesses and doesn't have that many dual-type Pokemon to cover the spread. What I do get is a decent offense, but they can also be rather frail. I'm gonna have trouble if someone gets Water.

I got FIRE.

I was hoping for Normal, Fighting or Steel. Oh well, this makes things interesting.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2009, 02:47 PM #18 of 93
Well, while we're all just revealing shit here.

I got FIGHTING this time. I was hoping for something a little more interesting as well.

More importantly, since we're only limited to ONE of the banned types for the tournament, I have to choose carefully on which of the two available I should use.

DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:29 AM #19 of 93
I'll give this another shot. I had fun getting stomped last time. I'll go with #10.

"Out thought and out fought."
NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Feb 7, 2009, 01:49 PM #20 of 93
I got ground ftw, which is either going to be really fun or a huge failure ^_^

Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 04:01 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2009, 02:01 PM #21 of 93
Since all of the hip and trendy people are revealing their types, I might as well too.

My type is GHOST. I actually had a tough time choosing which Pokemon to use, but they should prove to be quite fun. It's a shame Platinum hasn't come out yet here. Many of my Pokemon could benefit from some of the tutors in that game.

Incidentally, is there anybody with a GameShark or a near limitless supply of TMs? I could use a select few, and I REALLY don't want to spend hours upon hours in the Fight Area earning Battle Points. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most amazing jew boots
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 05:25 PM #22 of 93
Since all of the hip and trendy people are revealing their types, I might as well too.

My type is GHOST. I actually had a tough time choosing which Pokemon to use, but they should prove to be quite fun. It's a shame Platinum hasn't come out yet here. Many of my Pokemon could benefit from some of the tutors in that game.

Incidentally, is there anybody with a GameShark or a near limitless supply of TMs? I could use a select few, and I REALLY don't want to spend hours upon hours in the Fight Area earning Battle Points. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WHY DO YOU GET ALL THE GOOD TYPES?!

Despite my team almost being completely weak to you, I'll help you out. Just give me a PM of the TMs you need and stuff.

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 06:59 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2009, 04:59 PM #23 of 93
Hey, I'm Dark!

...Anyway, what I can say that's new is that I finished my team today and I'm ready to go. I think it's pretty good and very... non-dependent on dinosaurs.

EDIT: Also added Kairyu to the participant list, since I had somehow missed him when adding everyone. Sorry, Kai!

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Feb 7, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Kairyu
Holy Chocobo

Member 107

Level 33.47

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:18 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2009, 06:18 PM #24 of 93
Ah, ok. And here I am half thinking I was kicked for absolutely no reason.
(Kidding.)

I see everyone is revealing what their type is. Then I will, too.
Mine is the one likely to cause the chilling rush you feel after a night's blizzard. Kicking ice at your face may do that as well but let's not get into semantics.

Oh yeah, I have a QUESTION. Sorry. But can I have an exception to use something... like a legendary? Specifically the ice flyer, Articuno. For me it's useful at being an actual flying type and it has decent defense stats to boot. My choice list is horribly narrow as it is, so I'm asking.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 7, 2009, 11:48 PM #25 of 93
No, you will take your Froslass and deal.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [] Gym Battlers Open 2: This Time, It's Woopersonal