Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Some Oc'ing questions

Zigan
Parrell of Dissonance

Member 1916

Level 7.77

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 01:56 PM #1 of 3
Question Some Oc'ing questions

I recently just bought new computer parts and built my own comp. Here's my stats:

P5N-E SLI Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
250+ GB HDD Space
XFX 7900GS 256 RAM video card
1 GB G.Skill Ram (for now 1 gig)
550W Power Supply

I think that's pretty much everything, i got a DVD HD and all the other misc stuff. Anyway, I started by just switching out my old HD with everything still on it (minus my old gfx card drivers). Luckily enough everything ran pretty good and i installed the new mobo drivers. It's working fine for now, but hopefully i don't run into error because of not reformatting. I guess i got a few questions so far.

[1]: How and what is the best way to OC an Intel Core 2 Duo?

[2]: Why is my CPU Core on my gfx card usually idling @ 55 degrees celcius? Sometimes it may go a bit higher when even i'm not really doing much? I have decent cooling in my case. 1 Fan infront, fan from processor which leads out into the side panel of the case, then a big fan in back. The case is kind of in a cubby hole in my computer desk and i don't THINK there is anything blocking fans and whatnot (I will however check again now that i think of it). In the back of the desk it is open so... don't see a big problem there. My power supply has a turbo fan function but not sure what that does exactly, and the fact is i don't wanna invest for water cooling when i'm not even running on very high end equipment.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cam
troll

Member 2604

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 02:55 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2007, 01:55 PM #2 of 3
Sounds like your desk is restricting your air flow, even if it's not fully blocking it. AND your card's cooling probably sucks ass. Mine idles at 56 in the winter, more in the summer... stock cooling is fucking worthless.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Free.User
See You, Space Cowboy

Member 62

Level 32.80

Mar 2006

Old Feb 10, 2007, 03:33 PM Local time: Feb 10, 2007, 12:33 PM #3 of 3
[2]: Why is my CPU Core on my gfx card usually idling @ 55 degrees celcius? Sometimes it may go a bit higher when even i'm not really doing much? I have decent cooling in my case. 1 Fan infront, fan from processor which leads out into the side panel of the case, then a big fan in back. The case is kind of in a cubby hole in my computer desk and i don't THINK there is anything blocking fans and whatnot (I will however check again now that i think of it). In the back of the desk it is open so... don't see a big problem there. My power supply has a turbo fan function but not sure what that does exactly, and the fact is i don't wanna invest for water cooling when i'm not even running on very high end equipment.
I'm going to assume you meant GPU core. If so, and you are talking about your graphics card, I wouldn't worry. Graphics cards tend to run hotter than CPUs. I'm not sure about the GeForce 7 series specifically, but My 8800 idles around 55, and load temps of around 90c are not uncommon. If it really dicomforts you though, I'd suggest picking up one of these, although it does take up 2 expansion slots. It brought one guy's load temp (while OC'd) down to 55c!

How ya doing, buddy?

Mario Kart DS: 498293-921939____
Star Fox Command: 155-576-696-451____
Metroid Prime Hunters: 4854-1233-4943____
Final Fantasy III: 506891214495____
Xfire: freuser____
Steam: Free.User
____

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Some Oc'ing questions