Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Computer Internet Connection Problem...UGH.

Zimarooski
Carob Nut

Member 3977

Level 3.93

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 01:53 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 01:53 PM #1 of 4
Computer Internet Connection Problem...UGH.

Okay, so I have this computer that had a nice DSL connection.

It has four different lights for four different status':

Power, Ethernet, DSL and Internet.

Power, Ethernet and DSL all get a nice, solid green light. Everything is normal up to this point...what I would normally do is just open up Firefox or try to sign in to AIM, and the Internet light would blink green a few times and then remain solid, where I would be free to be online and whatnot.

However, now whenever I open up Firefox or try to sign in to AIM, nothing happens. AIM just hangs there, and Firefox gives me a "Page cannot be found" message. It's like the Internet connection doesn't even TRY to connect. If I try accessing the modem via 192.168.0.1 (this is listed underneath the modem), BAM! Another "Page cannot be found" message.

The other weird thing is that by doing the good ol' Start>Run>CMD> IPconfig, nothing happens. It doesnt' display any information whatsoever, and instead just says "Windows IP Configuration" and awaits another command from me. No error message, no info.

I've tried two different modems on the same computer, Speedstream's 4100 and 5100 models, and they both do the same thing on it...green lights on Power, Ethernet and DSL, but no attempts on the Internet light. Both modems work on another, older Windows ME computer I have downstairs, and they used to work on the newer one XP one with these problems.

I've been going nuts trying to figure out what is wrong, but I can't for the life of me find anything after two weeks of Google research and a tech call to SBC Yahoo! DSL. One weird thing that may be of concern is my Network Connections: It lists a standard 1394 connection, but in my Device Manager under it lists both a 1394 connection and a nVidia nForce Network Manager. The tech guy over the phone thought this was weird.

I've tried a little program called XP TCP/IP Repair, nothing. I've tried resetting the Winsock, nothing. I've even tried repairing/reinstalling (not actually formatting the HD or anything) Windows, nothing.

I have Windows Firewall disabled, and although I had an nVidia firewall at one point, I've since uninstalled it with no improvements. I'm really at the end of my leash and would like to get some more insight into this problem. Maybe I just have some messed up settings somewhere, and it's as easy as somehow resetting some stuff to their defaults. Any help?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
impeteman
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9513

Level 1.73

Jul 2006

Old Jul 19, 2006, 08:32 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2006, 05:32 PM #2 of 4
Are you using a router on a LAN?

I had similar symptoms when I first moved and eventually found that the problem was very simple, IE: my stupid mistake.

We were using a hub instead of a router. After I went and bought the correct little box it all worked fine.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:59 AM Local time: Jul 23, 2006, 11:59 PM #3 of 4
You sure it ain't an issue with your DSL Line?

Also, are you getting the "Local Connection Area Status" icon on the taskbar at all? Can you open the property windows?

Under Network Connections -> Advanced -> Advanced Settings, are the bindings correctly set? (Screenshot please)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2006, 11:38 AM #4 of 4
the no responce from ipconfig makes it seem like windows cant find the network adaptor. normally even if it was unpluged or not getting an ip it would say "media dissconnected" or "autoconfigured ip address".

type ipconfig /all and see what it says.
also, check what Zergrinch said.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Computer Internet Connection Problem...UGH.