Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Robert Downey Jr. is......Iron Man!!!!!

xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2006, 09:17 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2006, 09:17 PM #1 of 63
Robert Downey Jr. is......Iron Man!!!!!

From comicscontinuum.com:

ROBERT DOWNEY JR. CAST AS IRON MAN

Robert Downey Jr. has been cast as Tony Stark and Iron Man in Marvel Studios' Iron Man movie.

"Robert Downey Jr. is one of the most talented and acclaimed actors of this generation," said Kevin Feige, president of production at Marvel Studios. "His versatility sets him apart and makes him an ideal fit to play such a complex character as Iron Man.

"We could not think of another actor better suited to bring one of Marvel's crown jewels to the big screen and be the centerpiece of our first independently produced feature."

Downey, 41, has dozens of film and television credits, including an Academy Award nomination for 1992's Chaplin. Emerging from the 1980's "Brat Pack," he was a cast member of Saturday Night Live for one season, as well as Ally McBeal.

Recent film credits include Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, Good Night, and Good Luck, The Shaggy Dog, A Scanner Darkly and Gothika, as well as the upcoming Zodiac and Fur.

Like Tony Stark, Downey has fought substance abuse and was jailed for 180 days in December 1997. Stark's struggles with alcoholism will not be portrayed in the first Iron Man film.

Iron Man will be Downey's first lead action role. In an earlier interview director Jon Favreau told The Continuum that getting the best actor was more important than just the latest action-hero star.

"The nice part is that you don't have to go to the same list of usual suspects for casting that you would had this been a studio movie," he said. "Because this is Marvel, they trust the box-office draw of the hero itself and we don't need a name to define the hero. We need a name that's going to service the hero."

Here's how Marvel describes the film:

"Iron Man tells the story of Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to America, Tony must come to terms with his past. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man."

Filming of Iron Man will take place in Los Angeles and will probably begin in February or March. Iron Man is scheduled for a May 8, 2008 release.
----------------
Wouldn't have guessed him. Bit of an odd choice, but people thought Michael Keaton was an odd pick for Batman and he turned out fine. Who knows, maybe Downey will do well in the role.

xman25

Jam it back in, in the dark.
IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:36 AM #2 of 63
That makes me slightly mad. Of all the people in the world that is the work pick for an actor. I am pretty sure there where better actors than him. In all honesty if this movie is a bomb, then one of the main reasons will be the actor they chose. There has to be someone that can better portray a rich guy with nothing better to do than fight crime.

After I typed that I thought to check IMDB and they have no set cast for the movie yet. It says Terrance Howard is in talks to be Warmachine, which would be a great thing. It doesnt say anything about who is going to be Tony Stark. If anyone I would pick Hugh Laurie. He has the uncaring bit down so having him deal weapons to the highest bidder would seem to be a problem. He seems to be able to pull off the badass antihero-hero attitude as well. Also if they plan to put Stark in a wheelchair at any point in the movie, he also has expirance with being crippled.

If it is Robert Downey Jr. then that is a sad day, just like the day we realized Halle Berry should not be a superhero.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:09 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 08:09 AM #3 of 63
Robert Downey Jr. is the most overrated actor in movie history fyi.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:17 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 01:17 AM #4 of 63
Jesus Christ that is absolutely brilliant casting. He's a freaking perfect choice for Tony Stark.

He looks and acts the part. And if they manage to get into Stark's drining problem and addictions, who has more experience that Downey? He's got that air about him that he's instantly likeable, but at the same time a little arrogant and is smarter than everyone else in the room.

Christ, I haven't been this pleased with a casting choice since Bale for Batman.

Originally Posted by IdentikitOfEyes
If it is Robert Downey Jr. then that is a sad day, just like the day we realized Halle Berry should not be a superhero.
You make absolutely no points except that you adore House. Why is Robert a bad choice?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
KCJ506
Fuck you assholes

Member 809

Level 13.21

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:43 AM #5 of 63
I'm just glad it's not Tom Cruise.

I was speaking idiomatically.
IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:48 AM #6 of 63
I dont need to make a point in what I said. I think Robert Downey Jr. Is a bad actor. He was one of the reasons that Kiss,Kiss,Bang,bang didnt get a nation wide release date. Also look at the history of his movies. The only time he has had a good movie is when he was surrounded by other actors who are in many ways better than him, or when he is given a great script to work off of. Other than that he has no real acting talent. Half of his movies dont even get a limited release. It be honest, he is a hasbeen, most of his roles have been side characters or poorly acted lead roles. He has no emotional depth at all.

Also like I said, IMDB does not have him listed for the Iron Man Project, it doesnt even say he is in talks to be in any part of the moive at all. So this isnt a set in stone fact that he will be in the moive. Plus that comic site doesnt look have as trust worthy as IMDB.com, and doesnt even have mention on Terrence Howard being WarMachine. Not to trust worthy in my eyes.

Now if my suggestion for Hugh Laurie as Iron Man leads to you beleive that I "adore House" then you are jumping to conclusions. it is indeed a good show, but I do not adore it. In thinking I figure he is a better actor than Downey Jr. for the soul fact that if you only heard him talk as 'Gregory House' you would never know that he has a english accent. Downey Jr. can barely speak his normal lines with out having to alter his voice in any way. Scanner Darkely is a prime example of his mumbled acting as is Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

That is why I think hell will freeze over if Robert Downey Jr. gets the role of Iron Man.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 09:03 AM #7 of 63
Originally Posted by acid
Jesus Christ that is absolutely brilliant casting. He's a freaking perfect choice for Tony Stark.

He looks and acts the part. And if they manage to get into Stark's drining problem and addictions, who has more experience that Downey? He's got that air about him that he's instantly likeable, but at the same time a little arrogant and is smarter than everyone else in the room.

Christ, I haven't been this pleased with a casting choice since Bale for Batman.
^ That sums up my thoughts pretty much right there. He's a decent actor with life experience to draw on. Inspired casting if you ask me.

FELIPE NO
Sakabadger
オニデレ

Member 8

Level 26.84

Feb 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:22 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 03:22 AM #8 of 63
I would've thought it curious if Tony Robbins played Tony Stark. He kind of looks like the guy and, well, he's just HUGE. That would be an impressive super hero.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
kinkymagic
I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

Member 1409

Level 16.87

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:15 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 01:15 PM #9 of 63
Now the big question is:

Will he be naked under there? (Thanks Seinfeld)

“When I slap you you'll take it and like it.”
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:16 AM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 10:16 PM #10 of 63
I dunno if this is a good casting. He's a good actor, but it's not like how I felt when they announced Christian Bale to play Batman, or Routh to play as Superman. I think it's not just how he can portray the character, but also how he looks like the character he's portraying. Or maybe it's just me.

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2006, 02:47 PM #11 of 63
Also like I said, IMDB does not have him listed for the Iron Man Project, it doesnt even say he is in talks to be in any part of the moive at all. So this isnt a set in stone fact that he will be in the moive. Plus that comic site doesnt look have as trust worthy as IMDB.com, and doesnt even have mention on Terrence Howard being WarMachine. Not to trust worthy in my eyes.
Ain't It Cool News
SuperHero Hype
Marvel Comics

Yeah. I'd trust IMDB (which is an editable database of movies first, and a rather sub-par news site second) over these sites too.

I dont need to make a point in what I said.
Not if you don't want people to listen to you I guess.

I think Robert Downey Jr. Is a bad actor. He was one of the reasons that Kiss,Kiss,Bang,bang didnt get a nation wide release date. Also look at the history of his movies. The only time he has had a good movie is when he was surrounded by other actors who are in many ways better than him, or when he is given a great script to work off of. Other than that he has no real acting talent. Half of his movies dont even get a limited release. It be honest, he is a hasbeen, most of his roles have been side characters or poorly acted lead roles. He has no emotional depth at all.
It's not like he's an academy award nominee or BAFTA winner or anything.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was given a very small budget by Warner Bros. (who was not confident in the premise, not the actors), then proceeded to go over budget. It debut at Cannes (where it was given a standing ovation) and was hardly ever expected or planned to be a blockbuster movie. It made it's budget back (~$15 mil) at the box office, and that doesn't include DVD sales.

Also, Vemp.

He certainly looks the part to me.

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:54 AM #12 of 63
I think it's fine.

The only distinctive actor that I found to be a disappointment was Halle Berry playing Storm. Halle Berry isn't a bad actor by any means, but I felt that she didn't have the voice and portrayal of Storm as we or I knew her. I seriously thought Angela Bassett would've been a better choice, but that's just me.

Last edited by Erisu Kimu; Oct 1, 2006 at 12:57 AM.
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:44 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 08:44 PM #13 of 63
From comicscontinuum.com:

GWYNETH PALTROW IN IRON MAN MOVIE

Marvel Studios announced on Wednesday that it has signed on Academy Award winner Gwyneth Paltrow to join the cast of its Iron Man movie. Paltrow will take on the role of Virginia "Pepper" Potts, personal secretary and confidant to Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Paltrow joins a cast that includes Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark and Terrence Howard as Jim Rhodes. The film is being directed by Jon Favreau.

Here's how Marvel describes the character:

"Pepper is an invaluable resource to Stark Industries, and one of the few people in Tony's life who can go toe-to-toe with him, occasionally acting as his conscience and working to keep his priorities straight as he secretly defends the world as the armored hero known as Iron Man. Below the surface, Tony and Pepper share a deep attraction for one another although neither is willing to admit it."

"Gwyneth is the embodiment of a leading lady. She brings intelligence, poise and an incredible range of talent to this role," said Kevin Feige, president of production, Marvel Studios. "We could not be more excited about the great chemistry this illustrious cast will bring to Iron Man."

Filming on Iron Man is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles in March for a May 2, 2008 release.
---------------

xman25

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 04:19 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 10:19 AM #14 of 63
Robert Downey Jr. is the most overrated actor ever. Now that he's going to play Iron Man, I want to know where "THE FUCK" this world is coming to.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 05:45 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 11:45 PM #15 of 63
Robert Downey Jr. is the most overrated actor in movie history fyi.
Originally Posted by Musharraf
Robert Downey Jr. is the most overrated actor ever.
Is Robert Downey Jr. the most overrated actor ever?

But seriously, I thought Tom Cruise was. Any reason as to why he was casted in War of the Worlds? Did anyone even bother to read the books? No, half of the audience probably never touched them before seeing the movie. It's sad how things get mainstream'd like this.

FELIPE NO
Tellurian
To know the face of God is to know Madness

Member 1328

Level 17.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:08 AM Local time: Jan 19, 2007, 05:08 PM #16 of 63
Robert Downey Jr. is one cool SOB.
Why the hate?

Furby
Soon...

Member 327

Level 27.95

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 06:04 AM #17 of 63
Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark? they're both egotistical... SO I guess it works. I don't know, i think he's career and quality of work as been going down and down the drains for years now. I honestly can't remember one movie in the last couple years that he was in that I liked.

But I originally heard something about Tom Cruise as Iron Man, anyone else heard that?

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:11 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 01:11 PM #18 of 63
I'd rather see Robert Downey Jr. over Tom Cruise in the role. Tom Cruise has an outrageous ego that dwarfs any character he plays. If you look at so many of his movie posters... like MI3. The poster reads: TOM CRUISE (uh, yeah the movie's called mi3). I guess you've gotta blame a good deal of that kinda marketing on the fans. It must work on some level. I can't imagine going to see a movie just because a particular actor is in it.

I think Paltrow is a good choice. Even though she's got an Oscar, she still committs to a role and to the project as a whole instead of just seeking personal glory.

The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Jan 20, 2007, 02:42 PM Local time: Jan 20, 2007, 02:42 PM #19 of 63
Was tom Cruise actually being looked at originally for this film? I have to admit, even though I like Tom in most of his movies, he would definitely not fit the superhero role. I have no real clue who this Downey Jr. guy is, so I have little bias for or against. I will have to see how good he really is when the movie comes out.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:12 AM Local time: Jan 21, 2007, 08:12 AM #20 of 63
Why all the Robert Downy Jr. hate when it's clear that GWYNETH FUCKING I CAN'T DO ANYTHING BUT STARE BLANKLY AT PEOPLE AND THE CAMERA PALTROW is going to be in this as well?

Downy Jr. is pretty cool, despite all the drug stuff in the past, but I don't even know if I could stand sitting through this movie if I have to look at Paltrow every six seconds.

Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 03:59 AM Local time: Jan 22, 2007, 09:59 AM #21 of 63
I loved RDJ in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and I'm looking forward to see what he'll do as Tony Stark. Period.

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Jan 22, 2007, 01:17 PM #22 of 63
I still think that Jr. is a horrible choice. Just because he looks like him doesn't give any reason to cast. So far the only person that makes any sense is Terrence Howard. Paltrow!?!?!?! Not going to touch this.

All I can say is WTF is with this casting? Why are they putting so many well known actors into a movie like this? Its just going to end like Blade Trilogy, and that was not a good ending.

Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 04:39 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 02:39 AM #23 of 63
Personally, I think Downey is a good enough actor, not one of my favorites, but I don't see him fucking this movie up.

And like a few people have said, Robert Downey, Jr. and Tony Stark do have a lot in common, addictions and whatnot.

FELIPE NO
xman25
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 187

Level 19.45

Mar 2006

Old Feb 6, 2007, 01:07 PM Local time: Feb 6, 2007, 01:07 PM #24 of 63
From marvel.com:

MARVEL STUDIOS ADDS ACADEMY-AWARD® NOMINEE JEFF BRIDGES TO STAR-STUDDED CAST OF IRON MAN

Bridges Joins Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow and Terrence Howard in Film Being Directed by Jon Favreau

Los Angeles, CA (February 6, 2007) -- Marvel Studios continues to build a golden foundation for its big screen adaptation of Iron Man as it announced today that Jeff Bridges will join the cast of the highly-anticipated summer 2008 event film. Bridges marks the fourth Academy-Award recognized actor signed on to the project, starring alongside Oscar® nominee Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man, Oscar® nominee Terrence Howard as Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes and Oscar® winner Gwyneth Paltrow as Virginia "Pepper" Potts. Directed by Jon Favreau, Iron Man is scheduled to blast into theaters May 2, 2008.

Few specifics of Bridges' role were released. He will portray a close business associate of Tony Stark. A confidant and longtime employee at defense contractor Stark Industries, Bridges' character plays a major role in shaping Tony Stark's life.

"We are thrilled to have Jeff Bridges on board Iron Man in this pivotal role. His depth of talent and unique persona make him a perfect addition to this project, truly rounding out the ensemble," said Kevin Feige, President of Production, Marvel Studios. "His character is central to the entire storyline of the film and we could not have asked for a better choice than Jeff to bring this role to life."

Jeff Bridges has appeared in more than 50 movies during his illustrious career to date, and has garnered numerous accolades. Bridges has received four Academy Award® nominations, including a Best Actor nod for Starman and Supporting Actor recognition for The Contender, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot and The Last Picture Show. Among his other memorable film credits are: The Big Lebowski, Seabiscuit, The Fisher King, The Fabulous Baker Boys, Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Jagged Edge and Against All Odds. In 2007, he will be seen in A Dog Year and provide his vocal talents to the animated film Surf's Up.

Filming on IRON MAN is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles in March 2007. The film will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.
-----------------

xman25

parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:35 AM #25 of 63
I just wonder if Robert Downey Jr can stay out of jail long enough to finish the movie.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Robert Downey Jr. is......Iron Man!!!!!