Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Guide for installing Windows XP on a laptop with Windows Vista

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 01:10 AM #1 of 7
Guide for installing Windows XP on a laptop with Windows Vista

Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone knows of an easy-to-follow guide to change a HP laptop with Vista on it so that one can install Windows XP. My father wants it because he wants to be able to play various games and use various applications. I looked around and so far only seen bits and pieces, but no real guide.

Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 01:16 AM Local time: May 10, 2007, 11:16 PM #2 of 7
Hey all,

I am wondering if anyone knows of an easy-to-follow guide to change a HP laptop with Vista on it so that one can install Windows XP. My father wants it because he wants to be able to play various games and use various applications. I looked around and so far only seen bits and pieces, but no real guide.

Thanks.
Do you want to dual boot the two OSes? If so, you'll need to pop in the XP disc, reboot, format and create two partitions on the drive, then install Vista. Everything has on screen instructions.

If you just want XP, pop in the install disc for XP and choose to format your hard drive when it asks. Continue as normal.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 10:27 AM Local time: May 11, 2007, 08:27 AM #3 of 7
Might want to mention the backing up all of your data first part, too.

Most amazing jew boots
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 06:53 AM #4 of 7
Hm, well, pretty much what the two of you said is what I found.

So far, my dad is thinking of not doing it because it seems complex and for some reason circuit city is saying that he can't take Windows XP off one computer and place it on another (the computer he originally had it on broke down). They went on to say he would have to pay several hundred dollars to buy a new copy of Windows XP and set it all back up.

I don't believe that is true though (not being allowed to put Windows XP on another computer as long as you uninstall it on the previous one first)...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old May 12, 2007, 08:58 AM Local time: May 12, 2007, 09:58 PM #5 of 7
Oh it is, if it's an OEM version. It's legally tied to that particular machine.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
elwitty
Unregistered User

Member 918

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 04:02 AM Local time: May 13, 2007, 04:02 AM #6 of 7
It possible, just install xp in an empty partition of the HD.

Then fix the boot files with a bcd editor like easybcd

How ya doing, buddy?
mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old May 13, 2007, 07:49 AM #7 of 7
FOr me, I would not worry as much about that.

For my Dad, well, it took him months to learn how to MAXIMIZE and MINIMIZE windows.

Thanks for the tip Zerg. That makes more sense.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Guide for installing Windows XP on a laptop with Windows Vista