Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Internet you vs. real life you

FallDragon
Good Chocobo

Member 2657

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 11:38 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 06:38 PM #1 of 70
Internet you vs. real life you

When you talk on forums/IMs/chatrooms, do you behave and say the same things that you would in person? For myself, I typically debate stuff more often than I would in real life. I think a product of forums/online conversation is that I take a completely logical approach to conversation most of the time, which I don't do very often in real life (I joke around 90% of the time in real life). Anyone else notice a difference between their online and real-life persona?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 11:47 AM Local time: May 8, 2006, 04:47 PM #2 of 70
Internet me: I'm not a very nice person. I tend to be polite until someone or something offends me, at which case I make it clear to them that they're brainless turds. Also, I enjoy arguing online a lot more than I do in reality.

Real life me: I'm quiet and I keep to myself. Unless I'm with friends, in which case I make a lot of noise and make people laugh in the process.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 12:07 PM #3 of 70
I am the exact same in real life as I am on the internet. I don't think I have what it takes to have an alternate internet persona. I'd lose track of what I was supposed to be, I think.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 01:36 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:36 AM #4 of 70
So Yama, you can still verbally spout all the Eastern Asian trivia without the aid of any wikis or encyclopedia's off your head. Impressive.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

- What we all do best -
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 01:39 PM #5 of 70
I tend to speak before I think, and it's kinda the same on message boards. The only difference here is that I read what I've said over before posting incase I made a spelling mistake or said something stupid. The former is usually unavoidable, regardless of proofreading.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Baaah~
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 01:40 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 11:40 AM #6 of 70
Any difference in the way I conduct myself online/offline is the same difference used when I'm kicking back privately or conducting serious business publicly. So overall no real difference in personality. Just depends on the situation.

I bet I come off as more of an arrogant prick in person though. Due to the facial expressions and tone of voice I use.

Most amazing jew boots
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 02:00 PM #7 of 70
I'm much more confrontational online. Maybe it's "hiding behind a nickname", maybe it's just the fact that I try my best not to debate religion or politics with people I know in real life.

FELIPE NO
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 02:22 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 01:22 PM #8 of 70
I'm very laid back and easy going in person as compared to here on the board. A lot of times I use GFF as a place to vent and let out aspects of my personality that would get me into trouble in person. You'll notice, if anybody ever pm's me, my "real life" self manifiests.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Outlaw
Do not use elevator while on fire

Member 134

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 02:48 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 12:48 PM #9 of 70
I'm quite shy and quiet in real life. I seem to "talk" more when I'm online. I'm usualy just pent up inside myself in real life that I don't normaly speek my mind...on the internet however I can. Usualy I just sit quietly and take in stuff, usualy stay out of debates unless I have something crusual to say....

I also normaly reply with nothing but grunts, 'yeahs', 'yeses', 'sures', 'okays', and so on. On the internet I don't do that that offen. Though there's some times that when I'm on IM chatting with a friend....I do do that....needless to say it ticks her off...but I don't know what else to say half the time.

All in all I'm more outspoken on the net then I am in real life...

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 02:54 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 01:54 PM #10 of 70
Originally Posted by Fire On Ice
I tend to speak before I think, and it's kinda the same on message boards. The only difference here is that I read what I've said over before posting incase I made a spelling mistake or said something stupid. The former is usually unavoidable, regardless of proofreading.
So, what, instead of saying "The senators are great!" in every post, you can go back and say "The Senators are REALLY great!" in every post? Whoop-De-Fucking-Do.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

nadienne
I don't do too much talking these days.

Member 9

Level 29.15

Feb 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:05 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 01:05 PM #11 of 70
I'm pretty much the same online as I am in real life. The only difference I can think of is that I'm much more likely to say something mildly bitchy in text, instead of just thinking it like I do in real life.

Most amazing jew boots
Immortal
I float.

Member 1281

Level 19.93

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:09 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 01:09 PM #12 of 70
I'm a lot more animated in real life. Here on GFF I rarely say anything of importance and never really speak out, but in real life I'm loud as hell and just as obnoxious.

While everyone around me is busy drowning, I float.
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 03:50 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 02:50 PM #13 of 70
Online I tend to be a lot more articulate and willing to think about what I want to say than I tend to do out in the real world. Around my friends, for example, I tend to be more apt to swear and fire off non sequitirs than I would online, where I would sound a few magnitudes more polished and poised.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 04:52 PM #14 of 70
Originally Posted by Denicalis
So, what, instead of saying "The senators are great!" in every post, you can go back and say "The Senators are REALLY great!" in every post? Whoop-De-Fucking-Do.
Well obviously.

I post in other threads then the NHL 05-06.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Baaah~

Last edited by Fire On Ice; May 8, 2006 at 04:54 PM.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 04:58 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 04:58 PM #15 of 70
I'm pretty much the same on the internet as well as in real life, except for the fact that I tend to rant more in real life. Most of these rants are absolutely random, digressive and, in every way, just stuff that would work in actual conversations rather than text. I also talk ridiculously fast.

FELIPE NO
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:38 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 03:38 PM #16 of 70
My internet persona is totally different from how am in real life. On the internet, I'm outspoken, a bit arrogant, and at some times, a moron. I'm very shy and very quiet in real-life. However, if you start talking to me about video games or flash movies, I'll start talking.

Meh, that's all I can really think of at the moment.

Sometimes I can be just like my internet persona in real life, except for the moron part.

xSummonerYUnax
transcience

Member 1170

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:42 PM #17 of 70
I'm basically the same, but I tend to be more outgoing in real life because I'm around people I know.

Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 05:58 PM #18 of 70
It's about as different as night and day. However, I guess I open up more on-line than off-line, so maybe the internet me is the real me and the off-line me is a fake me? Nah, it's somewhere in between. I have 3 different persona's because I live in 3 different worlds: real world, internet world, daydream world.

I'm more quiet in the real world, or when I do have to speak I can't think ahead of time or else I'll remain quiet and shy. I have more time to think when I'm typing up a post, so I tend to be more talkative but less funny. Daydream world is the best for my personality, but no one see's that but me.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:05 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 06:05 PM #19 of 70
I act about the same online as I do in real life. But the thing is, my big humor skill is puns. It REALLY doesn't work well on the internet. I pride myself on making off-cuff puns every other sentence at times (Groucho Marx is my mentor~).

Works best if I'm comfortable around the people present, of course.

Most amazing jew boots
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:08 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 03:08 PM #20 of 70
I'm the same when it comes to personality, but I don't necessarily reveal much about myself until I'm either very comfortable with the person or I've known him or her for a long time. I generally type a little more formally on the forums than I might do in chat, and certainly when I speak in real life. In short, I'm the same on and offline for the most part.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:09 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:09 PM #21 of 70
I act generally the same online as I do in real life, except I'm probably a little more restrained on the internet. I seem to annoy a lot of people in real life, though not as many on the internet. It's probably because I joke around too much in real life.

Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 06:27 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 04:27 PM #22 of 70
Originally Posted by Visavi

I'm more quiet in the real world, or when I do have to speak I can't think ahead of time or else I'll remain quiet and shy. I have more time to think when I'm typing up a post...
That's exactly what I'm like. I try to say something, but i can't think fast enough so I end up stuttering and I just shut up afterwards.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 07:03 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 05:03 PM #23 of 70
I am very different in real life than on forums and bulliten boards and instant messengers. In real life, I'm fairly quiet and reserved, polite and respectful, a gentleman, if you will. I am very well-liked and respected in my church and in my community in general. In fact, actually work for my church. I never step out of line or do anything that would harm my reputation. As far as everybody who knows me is concerned, I'm a fine young man. I cannot think of a single person that dislikes me for any reason even in the slightest.

Online, however, it is a completely different story. I run my mouth (fingers?) and end up looking like a dumbass, as you can all attest to. Oh well.

Most amazing jew boots

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 07:10 PM Local time: May 8, 2006, 06:10 PM #24 of 70
I tend to swear less at people I don't know in real life.

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2006, 07:29 PM #25 of 70
In real life, I'm very quiet and shy. Online, I talk and talk and talk and talk....you get the picture.

It's like I'm a totally different person online :D The net helps me get past my shyness. Also, I don't know anyone in real life who shares any of my interests at all, which sucks.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Internet you vs. real life you