Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - BATTLE 09 Voting/WEEK 73 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:20 PM #1 of 50
Song of the Week - BATTLE 09 Voting/WEEK 73 Nominating

Battle 09 Voting is closed.
Week 73 Nominating is restricted.

Battle 09 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Tracks:
Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
Age of Mythology Original Soundtrack - Chocolate Outline
3rd GIG #Crescent - In Search of the Holy Sword -Seiken Densetsu-
Anarchy Online Original Soundtrack Vol 02 - Shadowland Battle Music (Remix)
Scarlett OST - already settled down...
ToBi D+VINE Complete Sound Track - Fly! (arranged by Norihiro Furukawa)
BATEN KAITOS II: The First Wings and the Heirs of God Original Soundtrack - Deep Red Pastures
Iridion 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - See The Sun Burn

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 73 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here are the links to the corresponding threads at the other forums:
- Chudah's Corner
- Soundtrack Central

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by orion_mk3; Oct 23, 2006 at 11:51 AM.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:27 PM #2 of 50
Hey this reminds me, when are we going to get the first 8 battle winners and pit them against each other?

How ya doing, buddy?
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:24 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 04:24 PM #3 of 50
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
Hey this reminds me, when are we going to get the first 8 battle winners and pit them against each other?
I think that was dropped in favor of Song of the Year. But hey, if you want to create your own thread and do that, I say go right ahead. Song of the Year was done differently from the Battles due to the number of contenders, after all.

Anyway, I'm just posting here to say I have uploaded Snowdjinn's nomination. For the uninitiated, we're brothers, and just about all of his nominations come straight from my computer, so I will always be able to provide information and files for whatever he decides to nominate.

I didn't prep the file. I can later, if you guys want (same with my own nom). But I don't have time ATM.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:11 PM #4 of 50
Alright, mildly disappointed with this batch of winners. I believe the only songs that won that I gave a point to were Shadowland Battle Music and Fly!. Also, these 8 weeks had perhaps the most varied music in terms of enjoyment, I was surprised at how good the good songs were, and appaled at how bad the bad ones were.

My absolutely favorite new discovery is Ruthless. Holy hell, looking back, I cannot believe I didn't give this 3 points. An amazing song with some of the most wild and dynamic percussion I've ever heard. It's something I would consider nominating, and this is the biggest compliment a song can recieve from me.

Other great new favorites include Floodlight, The Ambition of Cultman, Shadowland Battle Music (Remix), and Twelth Chapter Sky. Massive awesomes to those who nominated SLAUGHTER HOUR and THE LABRYINTH.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:46 PM #5 of 50
This was a simple process for me.

3 Points: Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
2 Points: ToBi D+VINE Complete Sound Track - Fly! (arranged by Norihiro Furukawa)
1 Point: BATEN KAITOS II: The First Wings and the Heirs of God Original Soundtrack - Deep Red Pastures

Even though "Fly!" was my own nomination, "Baba Yetu" is truly spectacular and deserves to win this Battle. Besides, I've already had one of my tracks win a Battle, so I'm totally fine with sharing the spotlight.

You deserve this, Mo0. Good luck!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 11:36 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 12:36 AM #6 of 50
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
For the uninitiated, we're brothers...
Yup, I've known for a while. There are several members in GFF (present and ex) with family on the boards, too (e.g. Alice and her daughter). Pretty cool.

...and just about all of his nominations come straight from my computer, so I will always be able to provide information and files for whatever he decides to nominate.
Ah, I never knew there such an arrangement. Sorry then, will have to trouble you in the future.

I didn't prep the file. I can later, if you guys want (same with my own nom). But I don't have time ATM.
As in tagging? I think should be fine. Right, CHz? Plus we have an extra week to get the songs prepared (thank goodness for BATTLE ).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I think therefore I am... I think.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:50 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 01:50 PM #7 of 50
After recently discovering a very peculiar track, I'm changing my (potentially) WEEK 74 nomination to the track in discussion:

=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album Title: The Flintstones (SNES Game Rip)
* Artist: Keith Tinman, Jonathan Dunn
* Track Title: Sound Test Music 05
* Source: http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/profile....t&selected=922 & the game itself (in ROM form)
* File Location: nominations folder
* Disc Number: none
* Track Number: none (track 05 in the sound test, track b2 in the SPC set)
* Year: 1995
* Notes 1: The game is sometimes referred to as "Flintstones: The Movie", as it is actually based on the movie (starring John Goodman) rather than the cartoon. However, the official title of this game is simply "The Flintstones".
* Notes 2: In the SPC set, this track is titled "Unused 2". But instead of that, I decided to name it after the in-game sound test track number.

I still can hardly believe this track is in this game. I actually downloaded two versions of the ROM to make sure there was no mistake in the SPC set. But it was right there in the sound test for each ROM. I honestly believe Tinman and/or Dunn slipped in an original composition, because, well, you'll just have to hear for yourself.

Double Post:
Oh yes, Elorin. By "prep", I mean "tag, etc.". Sorry for the confusion.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Oct 17, 2006 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:55 PM #8 of 50
Easy easy decision.

Baba Yetu - 3 pts.
Deep Red Pastures - 2 pts.
Shadowland Battle Music - 1 pt.

And a nomination while I'm at it:
Title: Air City
Album: The Seventh Seal: Resurrection of the Dark Lord
Composer: Cai Zhi Zhan & Mai Ai Guo
Track #: 5

I'll provide the song if necessary, since it'll probably be hard to find.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:09 PM #9 of 50
After recently discovering a very peculiar track, I'm changing my (potentially) WEEK 74 nomination to the track in discussion:

=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album Title: The Flintstones (SNES Game Rip)
* Artist: Keith Tinman, Jonathan Dunn
* Track Title: Sound Test Music 05
* Source: http://www.snesmusic.org/v2/profile....t&selected=922 & the game itself (in ROM form)
* File Location: nominations folder
* Disc Number: none
* Track Number: none (track 05 in the sound test, track b2 in the SPC set)
* Year: 1995
* Notes 1: The game is sometimes referred to as "Flintstones: The Movie", as it is actually based on the movie (starring John Goodman) rather than the cartoon. However, the official title of this game is simply "The Flintstones".
* Notes 2: In the SPC set, this track is titled "Unused 2". But instead of that, I decided to name it after the in-game sound test track number.

I still can hardly believe this track is in this game. I actually downloaded two versions of the ROM to make sure there was no mistake in the SPC set. But it was right there in the sound test for each ROM. I honestly believe Tinman and/or Dunn slipped in an original composition, because, well, you'll just have to hear for yourself.
Wow. I like how you switched from a potential nomination of mine to ANOTHER potential nomination of mine.

Seriously, I was thinking of that exact same song when I first saw Snowdjinn's nom and how I should nominate it sometime just today.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 06:10 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 03:10 PM #10 of 50
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
Seriously, I was thinking of that exact same song when I first saw Snowdjinn's nom and how I should nominate it sometime just today.
That was actually how I found this. I was interested in seeing what other stuff Jonathan Dunn had composed and was listening to some SPC sets by him when I found "Music 05".

Snowdjinn and I both knew of Pugsley's soundtrack since we rented it on SNES (possibly multiple times) nearly ten years ago. I grabbed the SPC set from Zophar's Domain a few years back, which is why I never bothered to look at related works until now. Glad I finally got around to it (somewhat).

Oh, and go ahead and nominate "tears which died" if you want. It's a Stage 5 theme, and I have a virtual laundry list of other potential nominations anyhow.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Draz
Not-So-Tortured Poet

Member 5387

Level 7.02

Apr 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:05 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 05:05 PM #11 of 50
I'm kind of odded out. I had my top three votes solidified almost the moment I heard the tracks, and so far, no one else has really payed them any attention. Are my tastes just too weird for this group? Eh, well.

Baba Yetu - Everyone seems sure this deserves a top spot. Is there something I'm not hearing? I admit, it is a good track, probably number four spot for me, but it didn't grab me in a way that made me say 'number one'. Maybe I'm just weird. Or not weird enough.

Already Settled Down - This one felt kind of like a mix between slow jazz and bluegrass - I didn't mind it at all. A little too soft and wavy for my liking though.

Fly! - I loved the start to this track, as well as the rest of it. I don't know what it is about it - very uplifting, and just altogether a good combination of sounds.

In Search Of The Holy Sword - I didn't feel the start to this track was very strong, but once it gets going - whoa man! It's a bit cliche' and tacky, yes, but other than that, I thought it was amazing. Catered very well to my taste for delicious guitar.

Chocolate Outline - Something about it that made me like it (besides the name, which I think is grand), but it's a little slow and ambient for my tastes.

Shadowland Battle Music (Remix) - This track had a couple elements I liked, but the title tricked me into thinking it would be way more hardcore than it actually was. I felt that the majority of it was too slow, and just plain boring, not at all worth the occasional nice snippet of something I considered enjoyable to listen to.

Deep Red Pastures - I might have to go back on what I said about Baba Yetu being number four, because there's just something alluring about this track. I can't tell what it is, but it evokes some nice scenery in my mind - even for something relatively mellow.

See The Sun Burn - Despite my voting this lower during the week 72 contest, it's grown on me since, for reasons I'm not sure of. In any case, I feel it's more active than any of the other tracks as well, which made me like it quite a bit more.

This was tougher than my decision for week 72, but I'm going to have to say:

In Search Of The Holy Sword - 2 points
Fly! - 2 points
See The Sun Burn - 2 points

I seem to be alone in most of my voting opinions though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Signatures are so overrated...

Pretentious Music Blather. <--- Music snobbery, not currently updated. Worth reading anyway.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 09:19 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2006, 10:19 PM #12 of 50
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
And a nomination while I'm at it:
Title: Air City
Album: The Seventh Seal: Resurrection of the Dark Lord
Composer: Cai Zhi Zhan & Mai Ai Guo
Track #: 5

I'll provide the song if necessary, since it'll probably be hard to find.
Oh, no worries. I was the originator of the game rip. :biggrin: If I remember correctly, "Air City" is one of the nicer tracks from the game (also helps that the city concerned is one of the more interesting in-game locales). Glad to see some love for the music!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Elorin; Oct 18, 2006 at 09:25 AM.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:26 AM #13 of 50
The links at the bottom of the first post are messed up (nominations queue and other forums).

I'm pretty sure of what I want to assign, but I will listen to everything once more to be sure.

EDIT - Here are my votes.

3 points - Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
2 points - ToBi D+VINE Complete Sound Track - Fly! (arranged by Norihiro Furukawa)
1 point - Iridion 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - See The Sun Burn

There are a large number of tracks I would consider giving points over some things listed here. It seemed there were a few very uneven weeks, some full of great stuff, and some pretty much all average.

Last edited by TheKnightOfNee; Oct 18, 2006 at 11:08 AM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:53 AM #14 of 50
In Search of the Holy Sword did nothing for me before, and it does nothing for me now.

Baba Yetu had the potential to be awesome. As it is, it's merely neat. I wish there were more parts, more development. Still, it's a breath of fresh air amidst the usual stuff. Vocal songs can be really powerful.

Shadowlands Battle Music (Remix) is a pretty weak SotW winner. It sounds like generic background music. And by background, I mean something you wouldn't particularly notice while playing the game. At least, until the piano part; that was somewhat interesting.

Chocolate Outline is a very solid song from Age of Mythology, one of my favorite under-appreciated soundtracks. It starts out slow and develops well. It features great use of percussion (hey, it won Percussion Week, after all), which is always a big plus for me.

already settled down... is a nice piece.

Fly! is a great piece. It has the distinction of winning the best week in a long time.

I hadn't heard Deep Red Pastures before (missed that week), so I wasn't sure what to expect. What I got is a nice piece featuring piano and a healthy dose of percussion. It honestly didn't resonate with me, though, for whatever reason.

I like See the Sun Burn, though I don't feel it was a song that deserved to take 1st place in SotW.

Point spread:

Baba Yetu - 2 pts.
Fly - 2 pts.
Chocolate Outline - 2 pts.

Overall, this is a so-so crop of winners.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Oct 18, 2006 at 11:02 AM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 02:42 PM #15 of 50
Originally Posted by Elorin
Oh, no worries. I was the originator of the game rip. :biggrin: If I remember correctly, "Air City" is one of the nicer tracks from the game (also helps that the city concerned is one of the more interesting in-game locales). Glad to see some love for the music!
I actually wasn't sure if it was you or someone else with a Vivi avatar that had ripped it It is very good, especially the "city" themes.

Speaking of which, the version of the rip I have is incomplete, taken from an FTP shortly before it went kaput. Would you be willing to upload a copy?

FELIPE NO
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Oct 18, 2006, 05:43 PM #16 of 50
3 points: 3rd GIG #Crescent - In Search of the Holy Sword -Seiken Densetsu-
2 points: Anarchy Online Original Soundtrack Vol 02 - Shadowland Battle Music (Remix)
1 point: Scarlett OST - already settled down...
So close: Age of Mythology Original Soundtrack - Chocolate Outline

Good battle; every track was at least decent to listen to.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:47 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 12:47 AM #17 of 50
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I actually wasn't sure if it was you or someone else with a Vivi avatar that had ripped it It is very good, especially the "city" themes.

Speaking of which, the version of the rip I have is incomplete, taken from an FTP shortly before it went kaput. Would you be willing to upload a copy?
Shouldn't be a problem except I need to actually sit down and find the time to upload it. PM me your existing tracklist and I'll upload the rest via YSI. Crossing my fingers I can get it done over the weekend!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:35 PM #18 of 50
3 points: 3rd GIG #Crescent - In Search of the Holy Sword -Seiken Densetsu-
2 points: Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
1 point: BATEN KAITOS II: The First Wings and the Heirs of God Original Soundtrack - Deep Red Pastures

How ya doing, buddy?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:38 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 11:38 AM #19 of 50
3 points - Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
2 points - BATEN KAITOS II: The First Wings and the Heirs of God Original Soundtrack - Deep Red Pastures
1 point - Age of Mythology Original Soundtrack - Chocolate Outline

The rest:

4th - Anarchy Online Original Soundtrack Vol 02 - Shadowland Battle Music (Remix)
5th - ToBi D+VINE Complete Sound Track - Fly!
6th - 3rd GIG #Crescent - In Search of the Holy Sword -Seiken Densetsu-
7th - Scarlett OST - already settled down...
8th - Iridion 3D & II Arranged Soundtrack Perfect Selection - See The Sun Burn

Most amazing jew boots

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:56 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 10:56 PM #20 of 50
(3 Points) Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
(2 Points) BATEN KAITOS II: The First Wings and the Heirs of God Original Soundtrack - Deep Red Pastures
(1 Point) Scarlett OST - already settled down...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 02:54 PM #21 of 50
Thought I'd check this thing out. Can I nominate in here?

--Cal--
* Album title: Arcanum Original Soundtrack
* Artist: Ben Houge
* Track title: Tulla
* Disc number: n/a
* Track number: 10
* Year: 2001

Greatest Town Theme Ever. String quartets: relevant to my INTERESTS, fucken.

LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Oct 19, 2006 at 11:58 PM.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 07:40 AM Local time: Oct 20, 2006, 01:40 PM #22 of 50
Let's spread some points:

2 points - Already settled down
2 points - Tobi divine
1 point - Baba Yetu
1 point - Age of Mythology

lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:47 PM #23 of 50
3 points: Baba yetu
2 points: Tobi divine
1 points: Baiten Kaitos.
Sorry it was my bad. Thanks for the correction Crash London.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by lightgem; Oct 20, 2006 at 03:53 PM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:50 PM #24 of 50
Originally Posted by lightgem
3 points: Baba yetu
2 points: Age of mythology
2 points: Tobi divine
1 points: Baiten Kaitos.
You've given out 8 points, there.

You're only supposed to use 6.

You'll need to correct your point allocations or else CHz won't count your votes at all.

Most amazing jew boots
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 02:09 PM #25 of 50
Originally Posted by Elorin
Shouldn't be a problem except I need to actually sit down and find the time to upload it. PM me your existing tracklist and I'll upload the rest via YSI. Crossing my fingers I can get it done over the weekend!
Actually, would you mind YSI-ing the whole thing? Many of the tracks I have are incomplete or have truncated track names. I'll make sure to spread it around, too--the music needs to be heard!

Originally Posted by Cal
Thought I'd check this thing out. Can I nominate in here?

--Cal--
* Album title: Arcanum Original Soundtrack
* Artist: Ben Houge
* Track title: Tulla
* Disc number: n/a
* Track number: 10
* Year: 2001

Greatest Town Theme Ever. String quartets: relevant to my INTERESTS, fucken.
So nominated.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - BATTLE 09 Voting/WEEK 73 Nominating