Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 136 Voting/WEEK 137 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:01 PM #1 of 47
Song of the Week - WEEK 136 Voting/WEEK 137 Nominating

Song of the Week. 125 Weeks and counting.
Week 136 Voting is closed.
Week 137 Nominating is open

Results:
1). [31] Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast
2). [21] OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.
3). [20] Heart Session - Technical Power
4). [16] Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard)
5). [12] The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES Game Rip) - Stage 4 - Pete's Peak
6). [11/8.5] Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~ - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA)
7). [11/7.5] Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk
8). [10] Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Fight in the Lobby

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Fight in the Lobby
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~ - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Heart Session - Technical Power
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES Game Rip) - Stage 4 - Pete's Peak

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 137 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum: Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jun 23, 2008 at 12:59 AM.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:17 AM #2 of 47
Don't mind me being a jerk in the chat log here. I always give off knee-jerk reactions just talking to the (evil) OCR judges.

Originally Posted by #ocrjudges
[02:24] <CHz> Goddamn, three of the tracks this week for SotW are exactly the same.
[02:24] <CHz> Who nominated this crap.
[02:25] <Liontamer> ROFL
[02:25] <Liontamer> man, I've been missing out
[02:25] <Liontamer> just haven't had the time
[02:26] <CHz> Yeah, I've missed you shitting on my tracks.
[02:26] <Liontamer> :-)
[02:26] <Liontamer> let's check out this week nice and early
[02:28] <CHz> AHAHAHA WHAT
[02:29] <CHz> Man, you can always count on Koji Hayama for the ROFL
[02:29] * Liontamer is listening to Chris H・sbeck - Sewer's Blast [Apidya Soundtrack] (04:28)
[02:29] <Liontamer> sup?
[02:29] <CHz> Super Takarazuka 3.
[02:31] <Liontamer> this Huelsbeck one is pretty dope
[02:31] <Liontamer> we've gotta interview him, he's had some really good stuff
[02:33] <CHz> I haven't heard the Apidya album, but I wasn't terribly fond of the first track from it in SotW.
[02:33] <CHz> From like fifty billion years ago.
[02:33] <Liontamer> yeah, I vaguely remember that one; this one is a lot better
[02:33] <Liontamer> kind of racing game style
[02:34] * Liontamer is listening to Mark Willot - Fight in the Lobby [Cold Winter Original Game Music Score] (03:37)
[02:34] <CHz> There was another track from that album a few weeks ago. Did you catch that one?
[02:34] <CHz> I don't remember.
[02:36] <Liontamer> nah
[02:36] <CHz> Also, City Funk isn't anywhere even remotely close to funk.
[02:36] <Liontamer> been out too long
[02:36] <CHz> I don't even know what to call this.
[02:37] * Liontamer is listening to David J. Franco - City Funk [Drawn to Life (Game Rip)] (03:33)
[02:38] <Liontamer> City Funk sux :-D
[02:38] * Liontamer is listening to Koji Hayama - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA) [Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~] (05:14)
[02:39] <Liontamer> ah fuck
[02:39] <Liontamer> gonna give this a chance
[02:39] <Liontamer> wait, wtf
[02:39] <CHz> Hayama'd
[02:39] <Liontamer> hahaha, these changeups
[02:40] <Liontamer> Dave, you gotta at least grab this one: http://sotw.info/music/voting/Game%2...AKARAZUKA).mp3
[02:40] <CHz> The guy is completely off his rocker.
[02:41] <@djpretzel> oh god
[02:41] <@djpretzel> bad female japanese vocals
[02:42] <@djpretzel> this just reminds me of the happiness of the katakuris
[02:43] <@djpretzel> good lord
[02:43] <@djpretzel> yeah, not finishing that one
[02:45] <CHz> I don't know if this Hulsbeck is actually good or just sounds good in comparison to the other tracks I've just listened to.
[02:46] <CHz> It has cowbell so I'm leaning toward it actually being good.
[02:48] <Liontamer> it's good :-P
[02:48] <Liontamer> not blowaway awesome, but a pretty solid piece of game music
[02:49] * Liontamer is listening to Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan - 11th Street (Terry Bogard) [Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax] (04:01)
[02:50] <Liontamer> s'aight
[02:50] <Liontamer> rather cheesy IMO
[02:51] * Liontamer is listening to COOL-WEIGH - Technical Power [Heart Session] (03:02)
[02:52] <Liontamer> aight, this guitar is at least cooler
[02:52] <Liontamer> funkyz
[02:53] <Liontamer> might get 2nd by default
[02:53] <CHz> This is the worst week in a little while.
[02:53] <Liontamer> do you keep the old nom weeks anywhere once they're over?
[02:54] <Liontamer> if not, np
[02:54] * Liontamer is listening to Fumio Ito - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver. [OutRun 20th Anniversary Box] (06:02)
[02:54] <Liontamer> wow, I hate that guitar synth lead
[02:54] <CHz> Not on the site, but both Kaleb and I keep copies of everyting.
[02:56] <Liontamer> well, it's all pretty fakey sounding, but very well-produced
[02:56] <Liontamer> great density
[02:57] <Liontamer> this is winning me over
[02:58] <Liontamer> 2nd or 3rd
[03:00] * Liontamer is listening to Mari Yamaguchi, Tatsuya Nishimura - Stage 4 - Pete's Peak [The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES Game Rip)] (02:57)
[03:00] <Liontamer> ROOOOOOOOOFL, this sucks balls
[03:00] <Liontamer> who the fuck nommed that?
Man, why did someone nom that Mickey track. Could not hang at all. :-D

3 points: Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast
2 points: Heart Session - Technical Power
1 point: OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.
Honorable Mention for "WTF?!?": Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~ - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA)

Also...

Originally Posted by #ocrjudges
[02:58] <Liontamer> who is tagging these tracks?
[02:58] <Liontamer> they keep throwing in extra spaces in most of the fields
[02:58] <Liontamer> it's annoying
[02:58] <CHz> Not me!
[02:58] <CHz> What do you mean?
[02:59] <Liontamer> in the ID3 tags, there's an extra space after the artist names in all of them
[02:59] <Liontamer> and track titles
[02:59] <CHz> Hmmmm.
[03:03] <CHz> Yeah, I see the spaces. My guess is just that it's from copying the track information from the web browser into the fields.
[03:03] <Liontamer> it's been like that for weeks though
[03:03] <Liontamer> consistent by whoever's been preparing the files
[03:03] <Liontamer> I kik them
[03:04] <CHz> He's fired.
[03:04] <CHz> You're now in charge.
OOPS, I rescind the complaint! :-P

But yeah, CHz wasn't feeling this week's picks, but I genuinely liked all 3 of my placers and will keep 'em, even though none of them blew me away. That's still a solid week of music, IMO. Good picks, guys. Except Mickey. Sorry, bro.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Liontamer; Jun 17, 2008 at 02:31 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 05:07 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 03:07 AM #3 of 47
I of course say "crap" with the utmost love and respect for all of you.

Anyway, here's a Dragon God nom to distract you or something:
  • Artist(s): Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, Takayuki Aihara, Yasuhisa Watanabe
  • Album/Game Title: Street Fighter EX2 Plus Original Soundtrack
  • Track Title: PHANTOM BOMB ~ Airport Stage
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 9
  • Catalog Number: CPCA-1038
  • Year: 2000
  • Source(s): CPCA-1038: Street Fighter EX2 Plus Original Soundtrack - VGMdb

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 07:22 AM #4 of 47
Anyway, here's a Dragon God nom to distract you or something:
Good to see you're still lending your services as an interpret to him. It's very generous, people with disabilities are often left alone.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:20 AM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 03:20 PM #5 of 47
Gah I completely forgot about SotW last week. I even downloaded the tracks and everything, and then just never thought to listen.

6 points - OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.

What. Why even argue.

9, no 12! no, 16! points - OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.

Outrun is by far the best soundtrack ever made in the history of game music, so why this would need more exposure is beyond me, but I'm not complaining. Okay, maybe I have a weakness for fusion-esque happy game music. Whatever.

Anyway, I still have 3 points left over after that track, so let's see what else is good this week.

Huelsbeck is freakin' awesome, so there's another two points for Sewer's Blast. Not his best ever, but I still love it, great variation and lotsa stuff happening.

After that voting got pretty hard, most of these tracks are pretty interesting, but none really jump out for me. I think I'll give it to the funky grooves of Technical Power though. It's not on the level of Outrun by a long shot, but it's pretty cool on its own merits.

So yeah:

3 points - OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.
2 points - Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast
1 point - Heart Session - Technical Power

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by surasshu; Jun 17, 2008 at 08:28 AM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:24 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 09:24 AM #6 of 47
I was super busy last week between moving to a new house, doing a boatload of work, limited Internet, getting a new phone/account, and other crap. I wish I could have voted then (at least I was able to grab the tracks). But anyhow, I should have time this week; I'm grabbing this new set of muzak now.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 08:56 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 06:56 PM #7 of 47
Good to see you're still lending your services as an interpret to him. It's very generous, people with disabilities are often left alone.
Likewise, I greatly respect your fine form and excellent follow-through while beating a dead horse.

SotW participants have always had the ability to nominate tracks in places other than the nomination thread, even before I took over when Kaleb was still running it. This actually was the cornerstone of how the two theme weeks were possible. Notably, for Follin Week, I took nominations from four external places: PMs, AIM, IRC, and a completely different forum altogether that we were using as the base of operations.

If Dragon God keeps feeling too lazy to take twenty-five seconds to make a nomination post, then I'll keep accepting his nominations over AIM. And I'll keep posting them in this thread instead of silently updating the queue, because I prefer things to be open in case people want to protest obscurity or something. Since this clearly bothers you, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd take it up with him privately instead of making snide remarks in the SotW threads. Thanks.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dragon God
Tarantulas FTW

Member 1948

Level 14.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:02 PM Local time: Jun 17, 2008, 11:02 PM #8 of 47
Thanks !! I really needed that !

Seriously, I don't post all that much on forums anywhere recently unless it's something I really need to get out of my system.

I'll edit once I'm done listening to everything, for once. Happy ?

Edit:

Sewer Blast

A great track by Huelsbeck, the mix of electronics, synth and guitar riffs really gets to me. It has a great melody and an upbeat mood to boot.

Fight in the Lobby

This has a nice bass line and rocks nicely as well. Definitely better than I expected.

City Funk

This track also has a neat use of bass but turntable-like effects kinda ruin it for me. Great track otherwise.

Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA)

It's no secret that I do enjoy Koji Hayama's music greatly and this piece is no exception. His voice really brings something unique and creates an interesting contrast with the other vocalists. Definitely one of the better tracks from this album.

11th Street (Terry Bogard)

Now this is something I can easily get behind, the mix of saxophone and funky bass is something we don't hear all that often. I need to hear more SNK music if it's this good.

Technical Power

I wasn't expecting a whole lot here, but that synth is just too awesome. Plus that saxophone really brings out additional enjoyment for me. That piano solo halfway is quite neat too. There's always something interesting going on here.

Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.

Nevermind not being fammiliar with the original theme, the synth guitar won me over in seconds plus that piano smack in the middle made things even better, at least it sounds fantastic when accompanied by a guitar in the background.

Stage 4 - Pete's Peak

Ohh, the ever fammiliar Capcom vibe during the Snes days, that pompous brass synth and fun melody really fits with the athestics of that level in the game. Simply music that fits a scene like a glove. Can't expect any less from Capcom.

Ok.... point spread.

I like pretty much everything here, but I need to pick from the very best...

Sewer Blast - 1 Point
Fight in the Lobby - 1 Point
Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA) - 1 Point
11th Street (Terry Bogard) - 1 Point
Technical Power - 1 Point
Stage 4 - Pete's Peak - 1 Point

There !! I actually did it !!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Dragon God; Jun 17, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 10:36 PM #9 of 47
Wow, and I thought you were mute again. Glad to know it's actually not the case.

I didn't mean to hurt, but to cause a reaction, to actually force you to post here and shorten a little your distance from this event. It worked!

I have no problem with nominations foreign to GFF or STC, and you posting about them here, CHz. The bothering is rather around how extremely minimal the participation of Dragon God is, to the point that I find it is unfair for the other SotW participants who actually put a little energy into making it happen each week. If you wouldn't want to participate, Dragon God, then it'd be simple and it would be like many people (and sadly several past participants), we wouldn't hear from you. But it seems you want to participate, yet we never see you. Only CHz has the privilege of being in your vicinity concerning SotW. I know you're a god, which could explain your distance, yet let us hear your voice once in a while, at least for the sake of knowing you still exist. I'm certain many people would appreciate that, me being the first.

So yeah, it'd be really nice to see you nominate (by yourself, although CHz does a top-notch job getting the message through) and vote, maybe not always, but when you find the time and feel like it. Put to the extreme, if everybody was doing like you're doing right now, I think SotW would be very boring: many nominations, all finishing with ties at 0 point (there wouldn't be any votes), and that would that. Plus, the name of the event would have to be changed to "Songs of the Week" (because of all those ties). Pretty bad, eh?

You don't have to write a novel about all your impressions, but dropping the points is pretty simple from my point of view. If it's not exciting enough or simply too much, I don't think there's much left about SotW. If nominating is all you want to do, well that's certainly a possibility, but I reiterate that I find it unfair for others in the long run.

Sorry for any hurt feelings, but at least I know my point got through. It will definitely make me happy to see you participate more, and I hope it will have the same effect on you. Peace.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 PM #10 of 47
This is going to seem a bit pedantic, but I have a knack for noticing this stuff.

In the SotW nomination archive, the following tracks from Week 133 placed and should be displayed in red, as opposed to their current black:

Sekaiju no MeiQ Super Arrange Version - Battle - Destruction Begets Decay
Tr3s Lunas - Tr3s Lunas
Yogurting Original Soundtrack - The Student Council is Very Busy!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:03 AM #11 of 47
Once again, I will try to get my ass to participate. My life is hectic as usual, but I think I can make it.

3 Points - Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast

A Hulsbeck track that I enjoy!? I never thought I would see the day! Seriously, this track caught me off guard. It turned out to be one of the most pleasant listens I've had in SOTW for quite a while.

2 points - Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard)

A VERY well done mix of the Garou team's theme from KOF'99. I usually am not a big fan of their theme songs, but this one really livened it up and that sax really made me fall in love with this one.

1 point - Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk

An enjoyable listen. This was probably the only track to catch my attention while I was playing the game too. Not really much else to say about it.

Honorable Mention - Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~ - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA)

Man, I remember the cho aniki song from the BSC. This guy is crazy, but in the most awesome way possible. If this one were as catchy as the cho aniki track, it probably would have scored.

Now then. Nomination time!

Album: The King of Fighters XI (Game Rip)
Song: In High Gear (Gai Tendo's theme)
Artist: Koji Takata, Masuo Okumura, Masanori Kuki (Saw all of them listed in the credits *shrug*)
Download Link: Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dragon God
Tarantulas FTW

Member 1948

Level 14.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 18, 2008, 05:41 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2008, 07:41 AM #12 of 47
I know you're a god, which could explain your distance, yet let us hear your voice once in a while, at least for the sake of knowing you still exist. I'm certain many people would appreciate that, me being the first.
I was merely being REALLY REALLY REALLY.... lazy.

And I do exist quite well... I did post on STC fairly recently.

Anyways, you're forgiven. Try to be a bit less insulting next time you want to grab my attention, k ?

ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Jun 18, 2008, 06:58 PM #13 of 47
New nomination!

Artist(s): Rafael Dyll
Album/Game Title: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack
Track Title: War Above the Clouds
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 9
Catalog Number: EASS-S001
Year: 2007
Source: EASS-S001: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer Original Video Game Soundtrack - VGMdb

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:10 AM #14 of 47
I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone of the Song of the Week Statistics Thread! I see a lot of people who posted in there haven't updated their lists in months, and some others who haven't posted in there. It's a fun way to keep track of how your nominations have done, and to look and see how others have been faring. Also, since the SOTW wiki doesn't keep track of who nominated what, just what's been nominated, it's a good place to see nominating patterns. If you have questions about a series/musician, it might help if you see one person nominating a good amount from that source.

Also good to see some more nominations coming in again. My songs were popping up quite frequently for a few weeks there.

isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:35 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 01:35 PM #15 of 47
Nomination Mode On

Nomination Mode Off

Most amazing jew boots
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 06:42 AM Local time: Jun 19, 2008, 01:42 PM #16 of 47
some others who haven't posted in there. It's a fun way to keep track of how your nominations have done, and to look and see how others have been faring.
How do you guys keep track of all that? I don't even remember what I nominated, let alone how it placed. Is there some place you can look it up or something?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:21 PM #17 of 47
You could just do a search...

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 05:38 PM #18 of 47
How do you guys keep track of all that? I don't even remember what I nominated, let alone how it placed. Is there some place you can look it up or something?
I found all my past ones by looking through the voting archives of the sotw site, and then update it once every few weeks. The only place where you can find who nominated what is to actually look through all the past topics, which can be a bit tedious. That's why it's nice to keep track of what you can in the other topic.

How ya doing, buddy?
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:18 PM Local time: Jun 20, 2008, 11:18 AM #19 of 47
I didn't mean to hurt, but to cause a reaction, to actually force you to post here and shorten a little your distance from this event. It worked!

Also, nomination:
  • Composer: Kazuhide Nakagami
  • Arranger: Kazuhide Nakagami
  • Album: ToHeart2 SECRET SOUND TRACK
  • Track Title: Mismatched Communication
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Track Number: 2
  • Catalog Number: APCD-0010
  • Year: 2008
  • Source: APCD-0010: ToHeart2 SECRET SOUND TRACK - VGMdb

Most amazing jew boots
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:36 AM #20 of 47
I've heard the Apidya track before. It's a good song and clearly the top track this week.

3 points - Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast
2 point - Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk
1 point - Heart Session - Technical Power

Just missed: OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:24 PM #21 of 47
Given the low level of voting so far, and the glorious dawn of BSC '08, perhaps we should make this a double-weeker.

Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast The rhythm's quite good, and pretty varied. Not much in the way of melody until the track's nearly half over, though.

Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Fight in the Lobby I've got a real soft spot for songs like these; take a Middle Eastern vibe and mix it with some rock instruments and a bruising melody, and I'm sold. While most of this OST is quite different, this song has a real panache about it.

Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk It certainly earns its name, but I just wasn't sold on the tune as a whole. I found it rather dull and repetitious, without any of the fireworks I was expecting.

Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~ - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA) Game music is dead; this song killed it. I went through a box of q-tips getting the blood out of my ears.

Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard) This is the sort of thing I was expecting from City Funk; a fun, cheesy, make-no-apologies piece of 80's style urban funkiness. Terrific, except for one spot near the end, but that's why God invented Audacity.

Heart Session - Technical Power Some nice keyboard runs, but forgettable on the whole. Lots of funk this week; I think this one suffers in comparison to the competition.

OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver. People seem to have quite the soft spot for this album; let me confirm my philistine status by saying I've never heard of it It's decent enough, but my mind started to wander before it was even a quarter over--and man, it goes on forever.

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES Game Rip) - Stage 4 - Pete's Peak About what I expected, given the title: bouncy. It's a hair darker than I expected, though, which is a bonus.

The Point Spread
Fight in the Lobby - 3 pts.
11th Street - 2 pts.
Pete's Peak - 1 pt.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 20, 2008, 09:25 PM #22 of 47
Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast: It's Huelsbeck. At this point, I'm not sure what else there is to say. He's quality, and consistently so. Though I'm a fan of Huelsbeck's work, I think he should take a temporary rest from SotW, so don't expect me to shower this track with multiple points.

Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Fight in the Lobby: I was unexpectedly surprised by the subtly exotic rhythm of this piece. It sort of "smolders" as it goes and I like it. A lot. The fusion of traditional Arabian sound with modern metal is a refreshingly pleasing experience.

Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk: I sense that David Franco wanted to create something with an experimental edge but I think he tried to mix things up a little too much. Something seems amiss in the flow. The drum beat at the looping point is hideously out of sync. Also, the name is rather misleading as there's not much "funk" here at all. I'm a bit disappointed by that.

Game Music Is Dead ~THE SUCCESSIVE KINGS~ - Super Takarazuka 3 (TAKARAZUKA): Is this...Japanese Broadway?? Whatever it is, it ain't good.

Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard): In searching for tracks to nominate, I came across this one, and soundly rejected it. It wants to be too many things: jazz, pop, heavy metal. But the sum of these parts is less than the individual elements comprising them. The melody is okay but the instruments and style need more unity.

Heart Session - Technical Power: Get'cher platform shoes and polyester jackets in gear, this love rocket is setting course for 1975! For a VGM track with some serious disco overtones (discovertones?), this isn't bad. It's mad cheesy at times but I can dig. It's tons better than the "Tokyo High School Musical" track I heard a few moments ago.

OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.: Jazzy rockin' tracks seem to be the pick of the week. This is from the Outrun Anniversary Box, so it's inherently decent. I don't feel as though the melody of "Rush a Difficulty" is as enjoyable as other Outrun tracks but the arrangement makes the best of it nonetheless.

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES Game Rip) - Stage 4 - Pete's Peak: I don't think this is as laughably bad as Liontamer's comments suggested but it's not exactly amazing either. The SNES sound limitations strike again!

Pointy Things!

3 Points:
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Fight in the Lobby
2 Points: Heart Session - Technical Power
1 Point: Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast

This week was decidedly average for me.

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2008, 01:18 AM Local time: Jun 20, 2008, 10:18 PM #23 of 47
My take on the IM nomination bit is that I'm fine with accepting nominations however we can get them. We aren't exactly overwhelmed with them right now. SotW participation has dropped a noticable amount since the event was created. Would I prefer people post on here, and go beyond nominating? Sure. Would I rather have people not participate at all? No. But I'm not picking a side here, so no need for further debate.

I've heard the tracks and there is some good stuff. Expect my vote within a day or so.

FELIPE NO
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Jun 21, 2008, 04:31 AM Local time: Jun 21, 2008, 11:31 AM #24 of 47
2 points: Apidya Soundtrack - Sewer's Blast
1 point: Drawn to Life (Game Rip) - City Funk
1 point: Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard)
1 point: OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.
1 point: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES Game Rip) - Stage 4 - Pete's Peak

Not bad, not so great either.

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Jun 21, 2008, 01:41 PM #25 of 47
Decent week, but the voting has been terrible IMO, as Apidya is nothing special. -_-;

(3 points) OutRun 20th Anniversary Box - Rush a Difficulty 2006 Arrange Ver.
(2 points) Garou Densetsu WILD AMBITION Arrange Sound Trax - 11th Street (Terry Bogard)
(1 point) Heart Session - Technical Power

Artist: Motoi Sakuraba
Album Title: FM Sound Module Maniax
Track Title: Reminscence
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 1
Catalog Number: FMCD-1006
Year: 2006
Source: FMCD-1006: FM Sound Module Maniax - VGMdb

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 136 Voting/WEEK 137 Nominating