Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Telephone Icecream aka That One Embarrassing Project I Was Part Of Thread

Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:07 AM 5 #1 of 4
Telephone Icecream aka That One Embarrassing Project I Was Part Of Thread

A long long time ago back in the era of 2003 or 2004 or 2005 - oh i can't really remember it was a really long time ago - in the town of Baka Town lived a bunch of anime misfits and there were explosions, kawaii faces, bishonen, dark arts, ghosts, tv cats and milk - lots and lots of milk. It was called a thing called Telephone Icecream and it had nothing to do with telephones or icecream but there it was. And there I was. And somehow we found each other and by god was I ever all over that shit. I even proudly wore a small little banner in my sig here on GFF for a while.

It used to have a website. It no longer exists. But thankfully web.archive.org has preserved most of it much to the chagrin of the creators who might be more than happy to have left it in the dust.

Telephone Icecream via web.archive.org

So what was this Telephone Icecream thing about? It was an honest to goodness anime that its creators Rik and Wing were trying to put together that if a pilot did well enough perhaps would have become a real thing. Basically Trudy your standard energetic redhaired lead moves to a new town with her cat that has a television for a head and interacts with a zany cast of characters both good and bad.

To show that they certainly could animate they had this on their website which I've uploaded to youtube for your viewing pleasure.

YouTube Video

They also had these short two clips that actually pertained to the show.

YouTube Video
YouTube Video

And to make it happen they needed help. Help from fans! Fans of what exactly? Telephone Icecream character profiles, concepts, cute shit, etc. Most importantly they needed voice actors to fill the roles of these characters they made. They set down some guidelines and basically said hey make up some lines you think the character would say by checking out their profile. Looking at what was available I decided on Derek - the town's inept scientist that makes things go boom. After looking things over I figured what the hey let's try out. I then typed up some lines, recorded them, and submitted them never expecting that I'd get the part.

What a boost of confidence that was and so I stalked the forums for at least 2 years after that becoming tantamount to whatever title is given to that guy who is in charge of picking voice actors or some shit. People submitted and I critiqued and soon enough we had most of our people. However, even after rounding up most of the voice actors and trying to get a script out of Rik it never came to be. We never got a script. Work on Telephone Icecream pretty much stopped, and eventually it just died due to either creator disinterest or perhaps real life shit who knows.

So yeah it's been a long time and I think I'm ready to show off my audition files and some other stuff. I'll try to provide some context for you.

First off here is Derek.

He's 14 with brown eyes and black hair with blonde whatever I'm sure it's not a blatant rip-off of Hikaru from Hikaru no Go at all. He's arrogant and brainy. He likes experiments, computers, and Wing. He hates cats, failed inventions, and Rik.

Originally Posted by Derek's Profile
Derek is a genius. Despite this he still manages to always make a fool of himself. He sells his own crazy inventions for a living, but has a very short temper especially when his inventions let him down. Which they often do. When he's not inventing, he's hanging around with Trudy and friends, mainly to try and impress Wing.

So here are them mp3s:

Quote:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:
And Rik.. if I ever find you within a one hundred foot proximity of Wing again.. I'll take it upon myself to make you, whatever you are, into a failed experiment. Do believe in that I guarentee it will involve more than 3 very large explosions. Do you recall the hover pogo stick incident? Yes even worse than that.
So basically Derek loves Wing (the creator's wife's self-insert character) and hates Rik (the creator's self-insert character lego robot thing). Yeah weird but whatever I went with what I could work with so I figure the dude would probably threaten the little guy at some point. I kind of wish I'd heard what Rik was gonna sound like since they were going to use a Roland TB-303 for him.

Quote:
Why yes, I AM 101% pure smart!
Not even making this up. This was apparently Derek's catchphrase so I went and did it.

Quote:
Its so sad to think that my current system will probably be obsolete in 3 years. To think on the good old days of upgrading it almost every 24 hours. Good times, good times. Ah..they shall be missed. Now for a rousing game of MindSweeper!
I dunno maybe this was me thinking that Derek like bragging about his computer systems or some shit.

Quote:
White lab coats will always be in style! Plus they're easy to get stains out of.
Him being a proud scientist and all I went with something that represented him.

Quote:
Believe me. It'll be fine. Nothing could possibly go wrong!
Fairly typical thing this type of character would say.

Quote:
Yeah.. Rikki remember that powdered substance I gave to you and said that if added to water it would make it taste like milk but wasn't really milk. I did some research later on after you'd given some to ol' Trudy and discovered that the chemical equation was exactly the same as dried milk. Yeah, sorry 'bout that. Maybe you should give her this medicine. Yes, yes I also have an antidote in case that fails too.
Trudy is "allergic" to milk or something. Really she turns into the hulk or some crap and starts wrecking shit so basically you don't want to give her any. Rikki is her love interest or something and he god damn loves milk A LOT and wants to share this love of milk with Trudy. So I figure maybe he'd go to Derek to solve this problem and here we are.

Well to me and I'm sure to you all this whole thing is just WAT but even though it's kind of embarrassing I look back on it rather fondly. I got to be involved in something that I thought might have gone somewhere and in an age where it's much easier to share media via things like youtube perhaps it would have given the proper tweaking.

So beyond the critiquing of other try-outs I got to know some of the community members there and of course also the creators. I'm not sure what Rik and Wing are up to these days but I do know what a few of my fellow voice actors are doing.

Sarah Chan who would have been Yuen the narrator (she's the narrator in the first video above) was a much better artist than VA and she's still being awesome on deviantart. Chancake on deviantART I give her a PM every now and then.

Oh yeah, she gave me an awesome birthday jaypeg once.

So I gave her a retarded comic in return (she was all about dem yugimans back then).

I recently ran into Lioncourt's name listed in the credits for the Apollo Justice Hiimdaisy Comic Fandub for the role of Hobo Phoenix which is what reminded me of all this to begin with.
YouTube Video

Lioncourt had the part of Kuro Mizard - a cross between the Hogwart's sorting hat and a cat that always told Lollipop to do bad things. I remember his audition as it was pretty amusing.

Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Get the Flash Player to play this audio file:

I'm glad he's gone on to do better things and I hope he's doing well.

And then there's the voice of Rikki - Cristina Valenzuela also known as Cristina Vee. You might have recognized that name because she actually went pro and is the voice of Kanaria in Rozen Maiden, Nanoha in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Louise in Zero no Tsukaima, and Mio in K-ON. She had gotten the part of Rikki before I had auditioned and I didn't get to interact with her that often but it's really cool that I've been on a project with a professional voice actor.

YouTube Video

She also sang the opening song for Telephone Icecream.

It's uh not so good, but she is a good singer if you haven't heard her before. She still does fandubbing and singing for fun.

The only downside to having worked on a project with her is that you can Kevin Bacon me through her to the Leet Street Boys.

YouTube Video

They're responsible for this thing.

YouTube Video

And uh this thing too. Guh.

YouTube Video

*shudder*

So let's wrap up this fun embarrassment with some shitty fanart I made during my stay in their forums.

Halloween fanart thread if I remember right. Draconis the bishonen in a trench coat and his bat familiar thing Shinra.

I dunno probably another fanart thread. I had Draconis keep the Kermit hat from last time. I think those emoticon bubbles might be from Ragnarok Online.

Trudy's TV cat thing. I actually like how this one turned out.

Oh and I think Rik was a programmer or some crap I dunno he made this Trudy ghost hunting game. I couldn't really figure out where to put it in this post so I'm mentioning it here. If you want to play it feel free.

Trudy's Ghostbustin Game Thing Yeah

So I've shared mine but how about you. Do you have any embarrassing things you were apart of back in the day that you are fond/nostalgic/whatever about that you'd like to share? I'd love to know!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:51 AM Local time: Aug 14, 2011, 06:51 PM 1 #2 of 4
I have a couple of anime-related stuff:

Earliest was Akazukin Chacha, the first anime I watched obsessively. As it is an anime for young girls, I'm sure that counts as a rather embarrassing admission (in my defense I was 12). I was obsessed enough to have plotted out a 50-part fanfiction that would continue the story. Ultimately life intervened, and I think I finished only up to 7 chapters of the tale. Fortunately, the death of Geocities has consigned that part of my internet history to the dustbin of time - for the life of me, I can't remember the URL anymore to even search in the Wayback Machine. There's a 1 TB Geocities torrent out there, but I don't feel like sifting through thousands of sites in \Tokyo just to find a crappy fanfic.

Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku (Now and Then, Here and There) really haunted me, as I'm sure any anime with children being shot to death would. Haunted enough to make a really crappy screencap site on Fortunecity that's still online. That was the maximum extent of my obsession, because it was a really short anime.

My next foray into being a fanatic fan was with Justice League. (Yeah, it's not anime but who cares.) Due to a quirk in scheduling, Cartoon Network Asia aired Season 2 episodes weeks before the U.S. premiere. I had a field day teasing the folks at the Toonzone forums with spoiler screenshots. The peak of their envy was when Starcrossed, the series finale, aired in Asia ahead of time.

Finally, we have Chuuka Ichiban!, or Cooking Master Boy, which I was obsessed enough to complete a one-man transcription project for it, a few months back. That project took 2 years from start to finish (and it's not done yet). Still, the first signs of that obsession sprouted much earlier, when i made extensive summaries of a few filler episodes. I have preserved this, although an ad-laden version on FortuneCity still exists online (I have forgotten my login details). Strangely enough, it's receiving inbound links from a chicken appreciation society!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Last edited by Zergrinch; Aug 14, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:47 AM Local time: Aug 15, 2011, 08:47 AM #3 of 4
Does that comic count as CP in Australia?

The only real project I had sitting around on the internet was a little program I wrote that would take chat logs from various kinds (AIM/IRC/whatever) and parse them into HTML where you could customize color/font/etc. Did it as a favor for a friend into RP stuff, and because I hadn't done a programming project in a few years and wanted to refresh my coding abilities. Well, somehow a year or so later this dude from a company found my project (even though it was just hosted as an exe on my personal webpage that didn't even have goddamned index.html) and wrote me an e-mail asking if I would write him a program that would log anything his employees did on messaging software and then e-mail him a log. I was mostly "wtf who are you how did you get my name" and then took the thing off my webhost.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 02:55 PM #4 of 4
lol it's stick figures so probably not

although i'm not sure how retarded their laws are down there in regards to drawn material

why do you ask? =')

Most amazing jew boots
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > [:plant:] Telephone Icecream aka That One Embarrassing Project I Was Part Of Thread