Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Non-Raid PCI SATA 2x150 Add-On Card Help.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2007, 08:56 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2007, 05:56 PM #1 of 7
HELP!!: Non-Raid PCI SATA 2x150 Add-On Card

Does anyone have a NON-RAID PCI SATA add on card that they use which has worked relatively well?

I'm planning on buying 2x500 GB SATA Seagate Hard drives during this holiday season. Please let me know. Thanks.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X

Last edited by Andrew Evenstar; Dec 18, 2007 at 11:37 PM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:46 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2007, 06:46 PM #2 of 7
These things just don't work. They saturate your PCI bus on high loads which pretty much interferes with every component that wants to put data on the system bus at the time.

Don't bother with an add-on card and just spend the little extra money on a new motherboard that has a proper built-in SATA controller.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:54 AM Local time: Dec 16, 2007, 03:54 AM #3 of 7
At this time, getting a new motherboard is a waste. I will be getting one within the next two years when I build a new computer.

I just need an upgrade in internal storage, preferably that can hold 2 SATA DATA drives, not system drives.

Thanks for the help though, Cetra.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:37 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 08:37 PM #4 of 7
LAST & FINAL bump.

Most amazing jew boots
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
Adol
Wind of the Plains.

Member 17840

Level 9.35

Jan 2007

Old Dec 19, 2007, 07:15 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 07:15 AM #5 of 7
I have to ask why you want a non-RAID card specifically. You don't HAVE to use an SATA card's RAID features if you don't want to, which is good, since I don't see a single non-RAID card on Newegg at the moment, and I don't really trust the software behind the cheap cards anyways.

Since all of the cheap SATA cards use the same handful of chipsets, you really might as well get a cheaper 2-port card and roll with it. This might work for you.

I was speaking idiomatically.
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 09:54 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 03:54 PM #6 of 7
I recommend "Promise SATA300 TX4". I have this one installed in a HTPC, currently only connected to one optical drive. The controller is going to drive a 750GB RAID1 array after christmas (software-RAID through the linux kernel).

Most amazing jew boots
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 03:43 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 12:43 PM #7 of 7
I have to ask why you want a non-RAID card specifically. You don't HAVE to use an SATA card's RAID features if you don't want to, which is good, since I don't see a single non-RAID card on Newegg at the moment, and I don't really trust the software behind the cheap cards anyways.

Since all of the cheap SATA cards use the same handful of chipsets, you really might as well get a cheaper 2-port card and roll with it. This might work for you.
I thought with a raid card you would automatically have to use it. So if you don't have to, then it would work for me. The one you posted is the one I have been looking at and reading reviews on. I just wanted an outside opinion that has experience with these cards & more knowledge then I do.

I just want to add on 2x500 GB SATA hard drives and not use them in raid.

FELIPE NO
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Non-Raid PCI SATA 2x150 Add-On Card Help.