Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Bionic Commando (PS3, 360, PC)

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 07:51 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 05:51 PM #1 of 19
Bionic Commando (PS3, 360, PC)

Originally Posted by Gamespot
Released in 1988, the original Bionic Commando introduced a novel grappling hook mechanic into a stagnating side-scrolling 2D platformer genre. While the Capcom-developed game was highly regarded (and even named as one of GameSpot's Greatest Games of All Time), the franchise has been dormant outside of a 1992 Game Boy version and a 1999 Game Boy Color pseudo-sequel.

That's about to change, as Capcom has revealed to GameSpot that it is developing a new Bionic Commando game for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Simply called Bionic Commando, the new game will bring back the original game's hook (pun intended), with players able to use the main character's bionic grappling arm not only to navigate levels but to take out enemies at close range, rappel down sheer surfaces, or toss objects (like cars) at enemies.

Where the original Bionic Commando followed players on a mission to rescue a fellow agent named Super Joe, the new game's storyline appears to carry a more cynical edge. After serving his country honorably in conflict with the Imperials, technologically enhanced agent Nathan Spencer is framed for a number of crimes by his superiors and sentenced for execution. Fate intervenes, as an experimental terrorist weapon is detonated in Ascension City on the day Spencer is to be executed. With the city in ruins and Spencer uniquely equipped to handle the many skyscrapers, monorails, and suspended roadways, the government reluctantly turns to its imprisoned bionic commando for help.

To help the game live up to its pedigree, Capcom has made development of the game an international affair. An American producer, a Japanese creative advisor, and Stockholm, Sweden-based studio GRIN will be collaborating on the project. GRIN's most recent projects have included the PC conversions of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and its sequel.
Source: Bionic Commando returns - Xbox 360 News at GameSpot

What can I say besides OH GOD I CAME A WATERFALL

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2007, 12:55 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2007, 12:55 AM #2 of 19
That is AWESOME. I've been saying this for so long. This game and Startropics are perfect fodder for remakes, although I originally saw Bionic Commando working more as a Wii game.

It does make me wonder how the controls will work, though, and whether it'll be a pain in the ass to swing from one thing to the next.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2007, 01:15 AM #3 of 19
Spoiler:
We gonna see Hitler as the final boss of the game this time around?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:33 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2007, 09:33 PM #4 of 19
I sure hope so. Hilarious Hitler(tm)'s head exploding in a 3D slideshow would be the greatest thing. Ever.

Where are you going? Super Joe's not down there you clown.

Most amazing jew boots
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:12 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2007, 10:12 AM #5 of 19
Does he have dread-locks? =(

Still. Awesome news. I agree that it'd be much cooler on the Wii, but hell, it sounds like they're actually putting EFFORT in to this. Hopefully it'll be kickass =d Waiting on pins and needles for this sweet little number.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:07 AM Local time: Oct 18, 2007, 12:07 AM #6 of 19
Trailer. Edit: olol, have they already taken it down? I doom the internet. Looks like Bomberman Act Zero Spider-Man a lot of big dumb fun! Had him swinging around at a brisk pace, latching onto things, hurling stuff at enemies. Also a sniper rifle. The music was erotic.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Oct 17, 2007 at 09:14 AM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:36 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 03:36 PM #7 of 19
Bionic Commando: Faith No More's Patton to Voice Bionic Commando

Awesomecore has been officially confirmed.

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 10:42 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 08:42 AM #8 of 19
For the love of Christ, Capcom, don't mess up the Commando. So many fond childhood memories would be ruined.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:45 AM #9 of 19
That is AWESOME. I've been saying this for so long. This game and Startropics are perfect fodder for remakes, although I originally saw Bionic Commando working more as a Wii game.

It does make me wonder how the controls will work, though, and whether it'll be a pain in the ass to swing from one thing to the next.
God.. I wish a Startropics remake would happen. (Hell I wish that it was released on GBA as one of the classics.. but meh)

This game looks nothing less than awesome. I remember trading someone Amagon for this game on NES. Best. Trade. Ever.

Old Oct 17, 2007, 02:55 PM 1 #10 of 19
THE SECRET TO HIS POWERS: HIS ARM IS MADE OUT OF MUTANT HOT DOGS! =D

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 06:14 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 04:14 PM #11 of 19
I wish I could be excited about this, because Bionic Commando will always remain one of my favorite NES games of all time. But, you can call the game whatever you want, it doesn't look like Bionic Commando, and in 3d, I have doubts it will even play at all like Bionic Commando. The only resemblance so far is the Grapple Hook arm, which, of course, has to be there. I wish there were at least some Nazis to kill in the game, but the storyline is completely new.

I will definitely play this though. I'll keep an eye on the reviews, if it gets stellar reviews, maybe I'll buy it, if not, I'll rent it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:20 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 08:20 PM #12 of 19
If there's any game that seems like it would port fairly naturally to 3D, it's Bionic Commando. Whether or not they'll be successful, that's another story entirely. It all comes down to developer competency. I wouldn't have believed Metroid would work in 3D at all prior to the Prime series, but boy did I get surprised.

The world aesthetics leave something to be desired, though. They're going for something gritty yet cartoonish at the same time, and the look just is not working out too well.

Most amazing jew boots
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Oct 17, 2007, 09:26 PM Local time: Oct 17, 2007, 09:26 PM #13 of 19
O M I G O D. (Finally.) Words fail... penis is getting hard... tears coming...
Please do not fuck this game up, Capcom. (DUDE, this is SOOO in the bag already)

I have been waiting for this game for nearly 20 years. Bionic Commando is perhaps my favorite game of all time. I wonder how they will incorporate the hook in a 3-D environment...if anyone can pull this off, it is Capcom.'

Quote:
The world aesthetics leave something to be desired, though. They're going for something gritty yet cartoonish at the same time, and the look just is not working out too well.
"Don't be hasty, advance with caution." The original is fairly cartoonish. In the end, its really how the style between photorealism and cartoonism blends that will determine if the visuals will work or not. That being said, I don't find that the visuals look cartoonish. They DO look incredible, however.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by RainMan; Oct 17, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 05:47 AM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 08:47 PM #14 of 19
Ah, seems Capcom have put the trailer back up on their site. And they've also added a gameplay video! Just click the little square things in the middle of the page. The ruined city is such a massive turn on oh God yes ummf ummf.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 03:18 PM #15 of 19
Ok so now that I've seen the game in action, I'm in love. I want this game's babies. I don't think there's a chance in hell this game is going to suck. Easily now one of my most anticipated titles to get.

How fucking cool is it to use the arm as a measure to hold people off while you just shred another person's face with your gun? Gah.

FELIPE NO
Musashinden
Chocobo

Member 3026

Level 10.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:57 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2007, 06:57 PM #16 of 19
Damn, im getting it but i want the spiky haired, sunglasses wearing Radd Spencer . Also, they coulve kept the Nazi storyline, but its definitely a must buy, BC is my all time fav. game on NES lol.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2007, 07:48 PM #17 of 19
The website updated with a few new videos. Wire Mechanics, Gun play and some others.

The Chain reaction one is pretty cool as you can see interaction with the environment and all that jazz.

Seeing this makes me want a Strider remake now.

Last edited by dagget; Oct 22, 2007 at 07:51 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Bionic Commando (PS3, 360, PC)