Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ps2 Linux - as good as normal pc?

eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 04:57 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 04:57 PM #1 of 17
Ps2 Linux - as good as normal pc?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps2_linux

Quote:
The Linux Kit for PlayStation 2 is a kit released by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2002 that allows the console to be used as a personal computer. It included the GNU/Linux operating system, USB keyboard and mouse, VGA adapter, Network Adaptor (Ethernet only), and a 40 GB hard disk drive (HDD). An 8 MB memory card is required; it must be formatted during installation, erasing all data previously saved on it, though afterwards the remaining space may be used for savegames. It is strongly recommended that a user of PS2 Linux have some basic knowledge of Linux before installing and using it, due to the command-line interface (which needs to be used to, at the very minimum, set up the system)
I think this is a very unique upgrade, using Ps2 as computer with linux as the OS. Has anyone tried this before? Is this comfortable? I hardly could imagine some people use their PS2 as computer.

I'm linux noob and dont have ps2 either, so I couldnt give much comments. But I'm bit curious how people actually operate this thing.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 09:51 AM #2 of 17
It's, at the very best, incredibly limited.

32MB of RAM isn't what you'd see in a usable, graphical desktop, and I don't see how they could have ever thought it was a really good idea (it being based off of Red Hat also isn't too smart.) 32MB pretty much requires you to know of other alternative and leaner programs to do the same thing.

I'd just say get any good linux distro and put it on your computer, because that would be a far better idea and less restricting.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
janus zeal
=^~^=

Member 3660

Level 18.19

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:34 PM #3 of 17
i have to agree with Merv. its a cool idea, but the PS2 just isnt powerfull enough to make it really usefull.

Then again, maybe a home webserver or ftp server? i know a few things it would be good for, but not as a computer for day-to-day use.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 07:14 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 05:14 PM #4 of 17
I used my modded PS2 to install Linux and it was stupid. I believe it's RedHat 7 or 8 (hello Windows 95 lookalike) and pretty limited in what it can do. The only feasibile thing to do with it is to set it up as a home-based web/fileserver.

Installing it was a sonofabitch and getting X to work was just sad. I suggest you scrap the idea of this because it's a waste of time.

Also, that 32MB of RAM sucks. Everything gets paged the pagefile, and is slow as shit.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sir VG
Banned

Member 49

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:06 PM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 10:06 PM #5 of 17
I wonder if you could turn that into a giant MP3 player. 32MB of RAM would be more than enough.

Would be a lot more portable than the computer in my car.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:55 PM #6 of 17
Yeah, you could, if you're fine with it running in nothing but command line and using mpg123 to play them.

But that's exactly what the people who made early carputers did. It's not elegant by any means, but it ertainly gets the job done.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:57 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 05:57 PM #7 of 17
You can already play MP3s, DivX/XviD whatever on your PS2 without a Linux Kit. It's a lot more comfortable, as well.

FELIPE NO
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:59 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 10:59 PM #8 of 17
how about connecting the ps2 with other devices, like flashdisk, printer, scanner, etc. Is it possible?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Render
River Chocobo

Member 4283

Level 25.60

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:05 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 09:05 AM #9 of 17
Originally Posted by eriol33
how about connecting the ps2 with other devices, like flashdisk, printer, scanner, etc. Is it possible?
As far as I know, external devices aren't supported that well. Not to mention, you'd have to give up either your mouse or keyboard to plug it into one of the two USB slots on the PS2. :/

In short, PS2 Linux is (was) a waste of (my) time. I'm sure there are much better devices that have much better linux support. Want a carputer? Check out www.mini-itx.com

eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:09 AM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 11:09 PM #10 of 17
Originally Posted by Render
As far as I know, external devices aren't supported that well. Not to mention, you'd have to give up either your mouse or keyboard to plug it into one of the two USB slots on the PS2. :/
and we couldnt use usb expansion cable either? Wow, it's too bad. I think this device has quite potential, though I'm agree, 32 mb ram is just sucks ass. Even my old via 650 mhz pc has at least 256 mb ram.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 14, 2006, 01:39 PM Local time: Jul 14, 2006, 08:39 PM #11 of 17
My PS2 accesses an internal IDE harddrive and all sorts of USB mass storage devices (including my PSP) just fine. I'm not even using the Linux Kit, though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
elwitty
Unregistered User

Member 918

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:13 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:13 AM #12 of 17
Originally Posted by Sir VG
I wonder if you could turn that into a giant MP3 player. 32MB of RAM would be more than enough.
sms.ps2-scene.org/eng/screenshots.htm

If you can run an .elf file you can do whatever you want.

What level do you have to be to post urls?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:18 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:18 PM #13 of 17
elwitty. you forget to put http:// into your link. =P

I was speaking idiomatically.

elwitty
Unregistered User

Member 918

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:36 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 12:36 AM #14 of 17
Originally Posted by eriol33
elwitty. you forget to put http:// into your link. =P
No. "I'm low level." I can't post full urls or images.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Cyrus XIII
Good Chocobo

Member 554

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:07 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 10:07 AM #15 of 17
mp3blaster is a neat little pseudo-graphical MP3 player. I sometimes use it after installing the base system of a Debian or Ubuntu, while the remaining packages are still downloading.

FELIPE NO
eriol33

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:37 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 04:37 PM #16 of 17
Originally Posted by janus zeal
i have to agree with Merv. its a cool idea, but the PS2 just isnt powerfull enough to make it really usefull.

Then again, maybe a home webserver or ftp server? i know a few things it would be good for, but not as a computer for day-to-day use.
is it possible to make it into ftp server? but again, if it's working for 24/7 like Kairyu's... it will shorten your PS2 lifecycle wont it?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:48 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2006, 11:48 AM #17 of 17
I have an FTP server running on my PS2, but I only ever use it to locally backup savegames from memory cards and transfer ISOs to the internal HDD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Ps2 Linux - as good as normal pc?