Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Weather Swings.

elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:35 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2009, 06:35 AM #1 of 28
Weather Swings.

So a couple weeks ago, I was outside in a tank top and shorts. Well, fast forward to today, and there's snow on the ground, which was preceded by a particularly nasty bout of sleet. And now I'm sipping hot tea. Let's just say that the whole week has been pretty chilly, and my body decided to rebel, so I found myself blowing my nose pretty much 24/7. Being a near-Chicagoan, I've seen my fair share of fun weather, but I'm always prone to the sniffles. Needless to say, any noticeable changes are usually harbingers of nose runnage.

Anyways, this prompted the question: Do you get frequent weather swings, and how do you handle them? Do you find yourself hacking up a lung with the slightest change, or do you barely even notice when it's snowing one day and warm the next?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Mar 29, 2009, 07:02 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2009, 01:02 PM #2 of 28
When I was living back in Boulder being right up against the mountains caused some pretty unpredictable weather. We'd get a few feet of snow in the night which would be melted by 2 in the afternoon the next day. I'm not there now, but I heard in February they were getting 70 degree weather, and now they just got a snowstorm. Crazy stuff.

As for handling it, I found I tended to be alright. Rarely got colds or anything like that. Just found myself more annoyed than anything else.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:20 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 12:20 PM #3 of 28
The weather here on the south coast of England never really changes much. We get pretty mild winters and rather cool summers as a rule and all our weather tends to be dictated by mid-Atlantic pressure patterns which are rather ponderous. The only time you ever really get extreme variations in weather is when the wind changes and starts blowing in from the east, meaning we get cold Scandinavian air rather than the nice warm Atlantic stuff but that only happens rarely (Although the country goes to shit at the first sign of frost, let alone a full on snow storm).

As such, the weather seems to have very little effect on my personal health. I do sneeze when I walk out into bright sunlight which I've read is something to do with your sinuses but that's merely a temporary annoyance and easily rectified by carrying sunglasses.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 07:27 AM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 12:27 PM #4 of 28
The weather here on the south coast of England never really changes much. We get pretty mild winters and rather cool summers as a rule and all our weather tends to be dictated by mid-Atlantic pressure patterns which are rather ponderous. The only time you ever really get extreme variations in weather is when the wind changes and starts blowing in from the east, meaning we get cold Scandinavian air rather than the nice warm Atlantic stuff but that only happens rarely (Although the country goes to shit at the first sign of frost, let alone a full on snow storm).
A few years ago (2006, I think) there was a heatwave in May-June down in the southeast which lasted around two weeks. In and around Canterbury it was 30˚C-ish during the day; totally unprecedented. People were walking down the high street shirtless, kids at my school wound up in hospital from the heat (they were late in phasing in summer uniform that year), the fridges in the cafeteria failed. It was kind of sweet when we had time off, but I was in the middle of my GCSEs at the time, and holy fuck there is no experience quite so draining on body and mind as three straight hours sat in an exam hall marinating in your own perspiration.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:12 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 10:12 AM #5 of 28
I work in a cooler, and then have to go attend to the ovens. In other words, I am constantly shifting between hot and cold. And it does terrible things to your body. I have a lot of pain all over my body when I get off of work. Not to mention I currently have a sinus infection.
A few years ago (2006, I think) there was a heatwave in May-June down in the southeast which lasted around two weeks. In and around Canterbury it was 30˚C-ish during the day; totally unprecedented. People were walking down the high street shirtless, kids at my school wound up in hospital from the heat (they were late in phasing in summer uniform that year), the fridges in the cafeteria failed. It was kind of sweet when we had time off, but I was in the middle of my GCSEs at the time, and holy fuck there is no experience quite so draining on body and mind as three straight hours sat in an exam hall marinating in your own perspiration.
Here in Arizona one day there was a day when temperatures reached around 48˚C. I remember my air conditioner broke down, the ice cream machines broke down all over town, and people were literally sitting in bathtubs, with gallons of warm water all around. (I don't remember people dying, but then, I was like six.) It was pretty terrible.

How ya doing, buddy?
Timberwolf8889
To the darkness of time!

Member 33139

Level 17.22

Mar 2009

Old Mar 30, 2009, 12:56 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 06:56 PM #6 of 28
I am confused sir, but what you do. But it sounds unhealthy. I understanding feeling exhausted after work, but it's no good when you finish work and you think "you know, I think my chest might burst and spread tiny flakes of lung all over the room." Well done for surviving though

I can't stand really really hot dry weather, I think more than any other type of weather. Whenever it got stupid hot in Colorado that's where you wouldn't see me outside for a few days, just can't take it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:02 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 11:02 AM #7 of 28
I live in Phoenix. Its either HOT, or mildly hot. Except during the winter when it gets down to what people in the other parts of the country call 'a warm day', but is chilly for us. I don't particularly like the hot weather, but I AM used to it, and I've only noticed the abrubt change with our house's A/C unit, which can either warm up or cool down very quickly.

Helps that its dry heat out here instead of humidity 110%. Dunno how you east coast folks deal with all that perspiration.

FELIPE NO
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:39 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 01:39 PM #8 of 28
Nah, I'd take dry heat over crazy humidity any day. It's bad enough being hot, but barely being able to breathe in the thick, humid air is another thing. But then again, I can't say I've ever really experienced dry heat.

Originally Posted by Hachifusa
I work in a cooler, and then have to go attend to the ovens. In other words, I am constantly shifting between hot and cold. And it does terrible things to your body. I have a lot of pain all over my body when I get off of work. Not to mention I currently have a sinus infection.
Ugh sounds terrible. I remember back when I used to push carts for Jewel during the summer. I'd be wearing long black jeans, a gianormous polo because they didn't have small sizes left, and they wouldn't order them. As a result, I had my sleeves all the way down to my elbows, and since we had to tuck our shirts in, I had inches to spare bunched up at my wait. So, throw in uber-humidity at around noon, plus carts, and you get funness. The worst days were weekends, when we'd have to push more carts than allowed just to get enough back into the store, so we'd be working up a sweat. And then we'd be going into the building every 5 minutes or so to move the cart stacks over so we could push more through the cart door. Needless to say, I was one of the few people sneezing like a madman in the middle of summer. And I mean, this store was pretty chilly. During the summer, the air would be cranked up to where you couldn't wear a tank top and not be cold.

But yeah, back and forth on an almost minutely basis is definitely not fun. D:

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 01:53 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 12:53 PM 1 #9 of 28
I live smack dab in the latitudinal center of North America. In the coldest winter months (December - February), it is -30˚C. In the hottest summer months (July - August), it is not uncommon for a few days to hit 40˚C, and it's not a dry heat, so there are also insects.

You guys can all suck my dick. Worst weather on the planet, right here. We're at the bottom of a lakebed, so everything floods in spring. It is only pleasant in September and the first half of October.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 02:58 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 12:58 PM #10 of 28
I live in Central California in the middle of a dust bowl. The winters here are pretty mild by comparison to other parts of the country (it's hit about 25º F on some ocassions) and I rather enjoy them because I can just bundle up with a cup of tea or a spiked coffee and enjoy the cold weather without fear of freezing.

But there is another side of this weather bane. The one thing I truly despise about this place are the summers. Central Valley produces about one-third of the country's produce and thus, dairies and agricultural land is all there is here. Because of the constant irrigation, consequent water evaporation and cow farts, it's always humid in the summers and it's really not uncommon to wake up one day and find out that it's going to be 116ºF of muggy, god-hath-rained-down-fire-and-brimstone-and-fucked-us-in-the-ass horror. In about 20 years that we've lived here, I've met a handful of people who never saw the fall one year because they died of heatstroke in the summer. It truly is awful and I look for excuses to leave this valley once the summer comes around.

Nahual
k'iskallawankitaj mamaykipis riman

Member 1931

Level 23.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:18 PM #11 of 28
Where I live(in Washington state), the weather is pretty constant and doesn't swing that much. It's either gloomy grey, or sunshine for the eyes.

Before I left to Germany though, the weather was being pretty bipolar. One minute in was snowing and then the next there was rain, which became hail 30 minutes after that, and then sunshine an hour later, which became rain again an hour later, but for only 5 minutes that time, before being just plain gloomy.

This happened for about a week, I think(without the snow). Other than days like that, there's nothing here, really. Nothing worth complaining about(except for the fact that when it does snow, almost nothing sticks. ).

Quiero ayudar a todos que viven en el mundo...pero empiezo contigo.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 03:48 PM #12 of 28
I live in Jersey. We experience all four seasons to the fullest that any Mid-Atlantic/North-Eastern state could experience.

Spring, this year, is fluctuating like crazy. If I'm not mistaken, the 9th of this Month we ended up getting a blizzard strong enough to cancel schools in the whole Tri-State area. It's rare that NY ever gets a snow day and it finally happened after five years. At the moment, the temperatures are starting to get more comfortable. Weather this week is looking to 50-60ºF and beginning to look a lot more like a normal Jersey spring.

Summers are usually pretty hot ranging from 70-high 90s. Fall is a nice balance of cool weather, and Winter is just a plain bitch where we usually have below freezing temperatures on a normal day.

I suffer from seasonal allergies mostly in the Spring-Summer. They haven't 100% kicked in yet, so the weather isn't that bad as of now.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:06 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 06:36 PM #13 of 28
In Newfoundland, that is one of the things that people constantly bitch about is the weather in this province because it is so unpredictable.

There is an old saying in Newfoundland, that four occur in Newfoundland. Those four seasons are Summer, Fall, Winter & Misery. Right at this moment I'm stuck right in the middle of the misery season back home.

It is not uncommon in this province to see four seasons occur in one day especially during the spring. You can have snow, hail, rain and sunshine all in one day.

I'm pretty much use to the weather because you once you live in this province long enough you get accustomed to it that nothing weather related even surprises you. Just a few years ago we actually had a tornado touch down on the west coast of this province. In my lifetime that is the first time I've ever heard of a tornado touching down in my province during my lifetime.

During the summer it tends to stay in the low to mid 20's Celsius. We have about a week in the summer in which it hits above 30 Degrees.

In the winter, it can range anywhere at the lowest from -20 to -35, I think we occasionally have the scatter day in which it'll go down to -40.

I've only been home for three days, and already we have had sun, rain, heavy fog and snow. Newfoundland is definitely known for its fucked up weather.

In terms of my health, the weather doesn't really affect me that much but I absolutely hate days that have high humidity. Thankfully we don't have them very often, but when we do watch out for the flies because they're brutal in the humid weather.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:20 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 05:20 PM #14 of 28
I live down in the middle of Tornado Valley, so you could say we get swings. I've only lived here for a little over a year, but we've had four twisters in the county since then, one of which took out several houses. I deal with them by hiding, way deep down in a bomb shelter. People tend to freak out about them down here because back in '89, an F4 dropped down right in the middle of the highway and turned a bunch of people into chum in their cars, and then took off straight for an elementary school. Even without those, we're pretty regularly getting 50+ mph winds. Makes for nice terrain though with all the huge weather globes all over the place.

On the temperature stuff, we're swingy, but not to horrible extremes. I think 110 F was the max last year and the min was around 0 F. Muggy, but not a swamp, as we're far enough inland near the mountains. Pretty mild compared to some of you folks. Just wind, lots and lots of wind.

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 06:53 PM Local time: Mar 30, 2009, 11:53 PM #15 of 28
I live in the North West of England. Although weather up here tends to follow a general warm summer/cold winter pattern we've always been partial to oddities such as ridiculously high March snowfalls, vicious rainfall in the summer and some horrifically hot weather through til October. A couple of weeks ago we had light blizzards halfway through the day and then sporadic bright sunshine and warmth. Currently the weather looks very summery, but bugger me it certainly doesn't feel warm. It's generally best to step outside for a few moments before deciding on whether a coat or a jacket is more suitable.

As a general rule, weather fluctuations don't tend to affect me in terms of illness, or at least there's no discernable pattern. Any colds I get tend to be in the summer (yes colds, I don't get hayfever). At any rate, it's getting warmer and I'm ill now so I don't doubt the next few weeks will see dazzling weather.

FELIPE NO
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Mar 30, 2009, 08:28 PM #16 of 28
Spring keeps playing peek-a-boo with us here in New England, but we generally accept that a snow storm can hit anytime until mid-April. Lately its been the wind thats keeping us cold... if it werent for that, we'd have t-shirt weather right now.

My sinuses tend to react strangely with the changing weather, but only in the Spring and Fall. Its like clockwork... come the Vernal or Autumn Equinoxes, my nose will get stuffy... but only one nostril at a time. Its irritating when I'm trying to sleep.

Otherwise, my back gets really achy with damp weather. It caused a lot of misery one wet autumn during soccer season.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
M. R. E.
Wark!

Member 33100

Level 1.47

Mar 2009

Old Mar 30, 2009, 09:50 PM #17 of 28
If the weather switches from hot to cold noticeably, and too quickly, I normally get a headache and a feeling of being run down.

Which has been happening a lot these past few weeks, with the weather being unable to decide if it want to be winter or spring.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Mar 31, 2009, 01:09 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2009, 11:09 AM #18 of 28
I live in Southern California. The weather is so fucking boring here.

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 04:16 AM #19 of 28
The weather the past week here has been up and down. The temps go from 40 one day to 70 the next. And this week, rain is called for every other day starting today.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was an April Fool's joke from Mother Nature.

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 04:33 AM #20 of 28
I live in Pittsburgh right now, and the weather is pretty abnormal and unpredictable here NORMALLY, so with the current mindfucked status of Mother Nature, you can imagine it's ridiculous here now.

It was sunny and nice out today. It snowed two days ago.

How ya doing, buddy?
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 04:58 AM #21 of 28
You're four hours away from me, and two days ago, it was cold and rainy. No snow here. What I always find interesting is it could be raining on one side of town and not the other.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Leknaat; Apr 1, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 1, 2009, 05:28 AM Local time: Apr 1, 2009, 11:28 AM #22 of 28
It has been difficult to predicte the weather recently where I live. One day the sun was out in full glory, and the next day there was a sudden hailstorm. The next day, the sun did venture out only in the morning, to be followed by a sudden downpour of rain! I don't understand why so many other members from England are saying they have nice predictable weather, do I live in the freakhole of the country or what?

(Nottingham)

xrgtr
Wark!

Member 16756

Level 2.00

Dec 2006

Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:40 PM #23 of 28
Over in New England, where I live, the weather has swung about for a while. Some clouds, quite a bit of rain, but the temperatures wildly fluctuate. One hour, nice and warm with a little breeze, the next is really cold (for spring anyway) and winds are going crazy. It drives me nuts.

FELIPE NO
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:35 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2009, 07:35 PM #24 of 28
Usually it only affects my mood when the weather is suppose to warm up and doesn't. Like the last few weeks... snow and cold... Its April for God's sake... Good news though... it should warm up starting Monday. Sometimes, I might feel a bit light headed when the weather goes from sunny and hot to thunderstorm... but I love T -Storms so much it doesn't bother me much.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
AtomicDuck
Quackus Maximus

Member 27199

Level 5.82

Dec 2007

Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:43 AM #25 of 28
Here in Northeast Ohio the weather's been all the hell over the place. It was snowing not too long ago, but now it's in the 60s and sunny. It's supposed to get dark and rainy again in a few days.
Although I'm not really complaining, so long as it's not both hot and humid I'm happy or both cold and windy I'm happy. Of course in both cases one always comes with the other, which is why I developed my theory that "Ohio" is an old indian word for "God hates us and he shows it through the weather" and that the name was used to warn people to stay away but people went and settled the place anyway, probably because they thought it was named that in the same spirit as Iceland being named Iceland.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Weather Swings.