Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Mac newb questions

Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:53 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 08:53 AM #1 of 9
Arrow Mac newb questions

So I have an opportunity to get a G3 Mac for real cheap, but comes with no HD or ram. I know it's an older model, but I want it just to mess around with as I've never had a Mac before.

So my questions are: can a regular EIDE drive work with a Mac, I have several lying around I can use. Same for the ram, can I use the same that would go in a PC? And as for the OS, I know that the older G3's use OS 9.2 or something but would it be possible to install some of the newer OS'es?

Thanks!

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:05 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 10:05 AM #2 of 9
I can't help with the hardware issues, but you probably won't be able to run anything higher than 9.2.2 on a G3. I was able to get the first release of MacOSX running on a G3, but it ran so poorly I went back to 9.2 until I could upgrade my computer. If you're on USENET at all, alt.binaries.mac.applications.retro is usually a good resource for fooling around with older computers.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:19 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 09:19 AM #3 of 9
When you say you upgraded your computer to run OSX, did you mean your current Mac or did you have to get a newer one? IF I wanted this G3 to run OSX, what would I need to upgrade. Is the processor as easy to upgrade as it would be with a PC? Other than the eye candy of OSX, is there a big difference between 9.2 and it?

As for USENET, I don't know much about it. But that does sound interesting as I have a couple of old computers I would like to make functional .

Most amazing jew boots
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 02:01 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 01:01 PM #4 of 9
By upgrade, I meant get a new one entirely. Sorry about that.

In regards to the question of what you would have to do to your G3 to make it run OSX, my answer has to be get a G4 or G5. The G3 card itself can't really handle OSX well. Sometimes G3's won't even let you install it.

If this is a computer just to mess around with, I'd suggest sticking with 9.2. OSX makes networking easier, and with the right computer runs a lot faster, but on a G3 it would be pointless, really.

www.macupdate.com still has a lot of software available to download for OS 8.6-9.2.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 02:42 PM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 12:42 PM #5 of 9
I was actually looking into getting a G4, since they're going for about ~$120 in some places but I can't just pass on getting a $20 G3 so I'm going to mess around with that first.

Thanks for all the info!

Most amazing jew boots
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2006, 03:29 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2006, 01:29 PM #6 of 9
You'd probably end up spending more on a G4 upgrade card and RAM for a G3 than would be worth it.

What era G3 is this? PowerMac? iMac? If it's a PowerMac G3, is it a beige one or one of the later Blue & White towers? In any case, OS X doesn't really get runnable until you're hitting the "500MHz G4 graphite PowerMac" or higher phase (Quicksilver or MDD are obviously better). The more RAM the better.

And honestly, while old Macs running OS 9 are interesting for fiddling and history purposes, for a Mac that's actually "useable" OS X is where it's at. It's dramatically different in terms of what's under the hood—it's not just a new interface, it's a completely different beast than OS 9. And there are lots more apps (and lots more "modern" apps) available for it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.
Mimi-kun
Carob Nut

Member 943

Level 5.27

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:32 AM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 09:32 AM #7 of 9
Yeah, the one I'm getting is a blue and white tower G3. And honestly, the only reason I wanted to fiddle with a Mac is to play with OS X and apparently the G3 isn't going to cut it. I guess I'll start looking for a decently priced G4...

FELIPE NO
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 5, 2006, 06:07 PM Local time: Aug 5, 2006, 05:07 PM #8 of 9
Mac Mini's or MacBooks are where it's at. These suckers are amazing to get aquainted with OS X, and even if you dont "really like" your new Mac, they are such good media centers with Front Row/remote control. It's like a perfect HTPC in my eyes (minus the gaming).

They do have Refrub-Apple-Certified products too for low price-budget minded people.
Refurbished Mac mini 1.5GHz Intel Core Solo
512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)
60GB Serial ATA hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0
Apple Remote

All for $519 brand new.... Not bad at all!

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
killmoms
Professional Mac-head

Member 277

Level 15.11

Mar 2006

Old Aug 6, 2006, 04:12 PM Local time: Aug 6, 2006, 02:12 PM #9 of 9
Yeah, keep in mind too that Macs REALLY keep their resale value. So if you buy a new Mac Mini or even a refurbished Mac Mini and don't like it, you'll be able to turn around and sell it without too much trouble for most of what you paid.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
killmoms - Well, don't really.
Makin' trailers er'ry day.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Mac newb questions