Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Sound Card = 40% more FPS!!!

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:43 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 12:43 AM #1 of 38
Sound Card = 40% more FPS!!!

So if I run at 50FPS now, this sound card will boost it to 70. Gimmie a break. I call bullshit.

How ya doing, buddy?
KrazyTaco
urrrrrr

Member 753

Level 13.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:45 AM #2 of 38
But... It's XTREME! ;__________;

Yah, anyways, annoying marketing aside, I can't imagine the card can actually do that. I just bought a Audigy 2 ZS about a week ago, and it really doesnt help THAT much. Now, my Audigy doesnt have an xtreme core proccessor or whatever the heck, but the concept should be the same and I should see some sort of increase, which I don't.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 12:47 AM #3 of 38
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1

Got it like 2 years ago. $20. Works great and then some.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:16 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 02:16 AM #4 of 38
Actually, I have an X-Fi Platinum Card, and I have to say that it really has some impressive abilities.
I don't know about Battlefield 2, but it definitely could make great sound come from my mediocre speaker system.
The X-Fi cards are definitely powerful, and could easily handle the most complex of music production programs that I threw at it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:34 AM #5 of 38
I think it has something to do with the audio processing and whether or not it's CPU-dependent or not. So, assuming that one has a card that makes the CPU do some of the work versus one that does it on the audio card, the latter would get more FPS. But 40% more? It may be a powerful sound card, but that's still a load of bull.

In other news, I got my cheapo Catalina 7.1 card today along with 12 feet of optical cable so now the sound runs through my surround system rather than my listen-listen-we're-dying PC speakers. This setup coupled with DualView, BTW thanks Lukage, makes for some tasty computing.

I was speaking idiomatically.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 02:54 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 01:54 AM #6 of 38
I think the keyword there is,

Quote:
providing up to 40% more FPS
I have an Audigy 2 ZS and all it does basically, besides making my Creative I-Trigue 3300 speakers sound a lot better than before, is add a few extra sound features to the PC Games I play.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Relic
and after all this...

Member 945

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 09:39 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 09:39 AM #7 of 38
The X-Fi is a lot faster than integrated chips at processing EAX and other environmental audio stuff, so it's not much of a stretch to say that it could increase frame rates by 30% or more if you like that stuff. Of course, if you're using integrated sound, you probably don't have EAX enabled in games anyways.

The X-Fi does sound a lot better than the SB Live, though.

How ya doing, buddy?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 10:15 AM #8 of 38
Relic, the X-Fi is no FASTER than Onboard sound. It may be able to decode EAC and other codecs, but that's not faster. The only "speed" benefit relative to onboard is that your CPU doesn't have to decode your sound. But that's never intensive enough to give you a 40% FPS boost. That's a load of crap.

....just like Creative's Sound Cards.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:40 AM #9 of 38
Originally Posted by Arainach
Relic, the X-Fi is no FASTER than Onboard sound. It may be able to decode EAC and other codecs, but that's not faster. The only "speed" benefit relative to onboard is that your CPU doesn't have to decode your sound. But that's never intensive enough to give you a 40% FPS boost. That's a load of crap.

Oh come off it. These are easily repeatable benchmarks. You take a machine with integrated sound (and video) benchmark it against a machine with a super-awesome-extreme standalone soundcard (and video), and there you have it. Huge FPS increase.

...What?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:18 PM #10 of 38
Originally Posted by Arainach

actually, some onboard sound chips have awful cpu utilization, sometimes up to 30-ish percent of the cpu while doing enough directsound for 3d games. i think most are down to around 10 percent, but that's still pretty nasty while playing a game that'll want 100 percent.

but, the reality is, just about any sound card will take the load off the cpu, not just the x-fi.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:25 PM #11 of 38
And it matters even less for a multi-core processor due to it's strengths in multi-tasking. Honestly, if you're not a heavy gamer, just get yourself a cheaper soundcard which often times sound just as good as Creative's often overpriced gamer-targeted products.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 12:26 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 12:26 PM #12 of 38
Originally Posted by Synthesis
I think the keyword there is,

Quote:
up to
I have an Audigy 2 ZS and all it does basically, besides making my Creative I-Trigue 3300 speakers sound a lot better than before, is add a few extra sound features to the PC Games I play.
Which is why, for $15-20, a Sound Blaster Live! can do the trick just fine. Now, if you're into audio editing and the works, by all means get these premiere cards, but I think for listening to music and gaming, the boost that this really provides isn't much.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:17 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 10:17 AM #13 of 38
Well if the game was somehow using software 5.1+ digital decoding for its sound (Doom 3 engine can do this for example) then I could easily see an increase of that much by moving that sound decoding to a hardware accelerator like the X-Fi. Unfortunately for Creative, most engines don't even offer software digital decoding.

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 05:52 PM #14 of 38
Even if there was no sound in most games today, I highly doubt framerates would jump by 40%. With most sound formats not even using 5% CPU usage on a 700MHz CPU (mine), it's very slim that any sound format drain 40% of the fps on any game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Relic
and after all this...

Member 945

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:33 PM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 08:33 PM #15 of 38
Originally Posted by www.sega.co.jp
Even if there was no sound in most games today, I highly doubt framerates would jump by 40%. With most sound formats not even using 5% CPU usage on a 700MHz CPU (mine), it's very slim that any sound format drain 40% of the fps on any game.
The X-Fi isn't meant to accelerate sound decoding. It's designed to accelerate EAX and DirectSound 3D effects...reverb, occlusion, HRTF speaker/headphone compensation, and other fun stuff. Onboard sound chips can't do effects, so they rely on the main processor to handle them instead. No matter what sound chip you use, audio decompression is going to be handled by the main processor.

That said, Creative is notorious for...uh, creative marketing, and the 40% figure is probably very optimistic, especially since most people who are gaming with onboard sound won't be using EAX effects. It's not as big of a stretch as you seem to think it is, though.

FELIPE NO
RushJet1
Chiptune Freak

Member 815

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 08:49 PM #16 of 38
i've heard that the audigies are pretty bad for sound editing / music creation when compared to other companies' high-end stuff.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:34 PM #17 of 38
Originally Posted by PUG1911
Oh come off it. These are easily repeatable benchmarks. You take a machine with integrated sound (and video) benchmark it against a machine with a super-awesome-extreme standalone soundcard (and video), and there you have it. Huge FPS increase.
I like how you're an idiot.

It's been stated for years that onboard video is shit and we already know it.

Onboard video has no point ANYWHERE in this topic. This is comparing on-board audio performance to soundcard audio performance.

Therefore, your made-up benchmark scenario FAILS.

quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:14 AM #18 of 38
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
I like how you're an idiot.

It's been stated for years that onboard video is shit and we already know it.

Onboard video has no point ANYWHERE in this topic. This is comparing on-board audio performance to soundcard audio performance.

Therefore, your made-up benchmark scenario FAILS.
He's saying that Creative's claim is based on a comparison between an all onboard system and a 7900GTX + X-Fi system because there's no way a change in sound cards could increase performance that much.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 12:28 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 12:28 PM #19 of 38
Originally Posted by quazi
He's saying that Creative's claim is based on a comparison between an all onboard system and a 7900GTX + X-Fi system because there's no way a change in sound cards could increase performance that much.
I think Merv is pointing out the fact that a bar of soap is better then onboard sound and that pointing out the obvious is rather rediculous.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 07:28 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 05:28 PM #20 of 38
Originally Posted by Lukage
I think Merv is pointing out the fact that a bar of soap is better then onboard sound and that pointing out the obvious is rather rediculous.
Actually the only flaw of onboard sound is CPU usage. But considering most PCs over 1GHz can more than handle any form of playback, the issue isn't so much game speed increase, but features.

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 09:37 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 06:37 PM #21 of 38
Actually the only flaw of onboard sound is CPU usage. But considering most PCs over 1GHz can more than handle any form of playback, the issue isn't so much game speed increase, but features.
The only flaw happens to be the harshest flaw. 5% of a 2Ghz processor is actually a huge waste of resources. Think about it in reverse. A 5% overclock can result in a 10-20FPS increase in performance depending on your stock clock rate. If you are hovering near 100% CPU utilization, that 5% could mean the difference between a playable and non-playable experience.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 08:44 PM #22 of 38
Originally Posted by Cetra
The only flaw happens to be the harshest flaw. 5% of a 2Ghz processor is actually a huge waste of resources. Think about it in reverse. A 5% overclock can result in a 10-20FPS increase in performance depending on your stock clock rate. If you are hovering near 100% CPU utilization, that 5% could mean the difference between a playable and non-playable experience.
Yeah, well that's 5% usage on a 700MHz CPU, on a 2GHz or higher, it's probably lower than 1%. Remember though, also keep in CPU usage tests they do for soundcards do things that you'd probably never try on a PC (like playing back 32 wav files at the same time).

Most amazing jew boots
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 02:39 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 11:39 PM #23 of 38
Yeah, well that's 5% usage on a 700MHz CPU, on a 2GHz or higher, it's probably lower than 1%. Remember though, also keep in CPU usage tests they do for soundcards do things that you'd probably never try on a PC (like playing back 32 wav files at the same time).
How about decoding a 5.1 digital signal? Using a software decoder like ffdshow (the audio channel obviously) takes 7% of my CPU time with a 3.2 Ghz P4 with HT.

FELIPE NO
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 04:56 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 02:56 AM #24 of 38
Using a card is obviously going to show some improvements because it takes a small load off the cpu. It probably wont have as much an impact on more powerfull machines but on slower machines it could show a big improvement.

However, this is all kind of moot anyways because as time goes by onboard audio is becoming just as good as any soundcard. With dual or more cores in cpus the load from onboard audio or software becomes insignificant.

You no longer have to worry about that kind of thing because you finally have a cpu that can actually multitask and do all the work with ease.

Most amazing jew boots
oddigy
SB0240

Member 2818

Level 2.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:25 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 11:25 AM #25 of 38
Funny how this is my first post. Anyway...

If you guys read this article over here:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...gamingXram.asp

You'll find out exactly why and how the X-Fi can boost your gaming FPS. Two models of the card, the Fatal1ty and the Elite Pro actually contain 64MB of onboard RAM (called XRAM). This XRAM is utilized by SPECIFIC games (right, this feature has to be specifically coded into the game, Battlefield 2 supports it, as does Quake 4, and probably a bunch of forthcoming games) to boost performance.

Does anyone posting in this thread actually have an X-Fi?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Sound Card = 40% more FPS!!!