Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

My ceramic work

Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 03:49 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 01:49 PM #1 of 10
My ceramic work (Now includes the Lizardcommando staute and other new work)

So I've been taking ceramics for my summer class and one my projects I had to do was make a sculpture or vase based on an ethnic culture. I did mine on ancient Peruvian ceramics, specifically the ones from the Moche people. I recreated a sea lion vessel that I saw in a book. It's the first time I have worked with clay so it's not exactly the greatest thing in the world. I've got other stuff too like some pinch pots, some plates, and some crappy pots I made on the potter's wheel, but I'm not going to show them until I get my Lizardcommando statue finished. I also have another statue in the works, but I might not be able to get it until the fall semester starts.

My recreation of a sea lion effigy vessel of the Moche people.

Me holding the recreation for a close up of the face.

Just a crappy angle of my recreation.

My recreation and the original picture.

As you can tell, there's a lot of flaws in my recreation. The head is small, the legs are a bit too fat and long, the spout's a bit too big compared to the original picture, the sea lion is not as plump, and it's not as well sculpted overall. That spout was a real pain in the ass to make. I didn't exactly make it the same way as how they are normally supposed to be made, so turned out crappy. The clay was originally a red earthenware-type clay (I think it was terra cotta). If I remember correctly, I painted the vessel over with some white terrasigilata and then painted the eyes and other spots in red terrasigilata. I think it took a week to make.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Lizardcommando; Jul 27, 2006 at 04:36 PM.
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2006, 02:41 PM #2 of 10
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, I may not be able to take another ceramics class . The reason why I took it was to fulfill the required credits needed for my major. A personal reason why I took it was to see how a '3D' version of Lizardcommando looks. I have made actual 3D graphics of him and some other Lizard characters, but I wasn't too great with 3Dmax studio so they didn't look like the way I wanted them to look.

Hopefully, if I end up going to the Academy of Arts in San Fransisco, I get to take some kind of sculpting class if I take some class involving 2d/3d Animation and Game Design.

BTW, has anyone else seen Moche/Mochica ceramics? Pretty cool stuff in my book, especially those spout vessels.

Double Post:
I got most of my other projects back today. I finally have my Lizardcommando statue. This is my favorite project besides the Cowboy Lizard statue that I am making.

The color of Lizardcommando's skin wasn't what I originally wanted. The color was alot brighter than I anticipated. I used a bright kiwi Concepts underglaze. I probably should have used a darker green color. I have an idea which one, but I forgot the name of it. I probably should have used 3 or 4 layers of the ungerglaze instead of 2 layers.

There are parts that seemed lumpy here and there, but I couldn't exactly help that. Another thing I probably would have changed was the goggles. The lens aren't as big as I wanted them. They are too small compared to the concept art. The statue can stand on its own, but it'll sometimes tip over onto the tail, so I have to put something under it.

A front view of LC.

A side view of LC.

Close up of LC's face/goggles.

A comparison of the statue and the concept art.

A closer look at the concept art.

The front view's concept art and the statue.

Here's the rest of my glazed ceramic projects. The quality on some of them range from decent to meh.

The rest of the pics are in the spoiler tag to cut down on the loading time a bit.

Spoiler:

The slab box's glaze was unintentionally like that. The glaze I used was fucked up. It was really liquidy and alot of the junk was stuck in the bucket. I liked how the glazing went on the side of the box, but the lid looks like crap. The coffee cup's glazing went pretty well along with the pinch pot (it's the one in the deep sea green glaze.

There are a few thrown pots, two of them were glazed, and one of them (the one on the far left) was put in a pit firing. The coil pot's glaze turned out how I wanted, so there's not much I'm complaining about that. Out of the thrown projects, I'd say my favorite was the coffee mug.

I have four more projects that I couldn't bring home. Two plates I made need to be put in the high fire kiln, a Shoji Hamada inspired flask bottle needs to be glazed and decorated, and the Cowboy Lizard statue needs to be put in the electric kiln and then decorated and then be put in the low fire kiln again. Unfortunately, I may not be able to get them until the beginning of September or even a bit later than that...

Overall, I'm happy how most of the stuff turned out. Obviously, there are things that can be changed and improved, but it's not exactly easy doing that since everything's been kiln-fired.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Lizardcommando; Jul 27, 2006 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2006, 01:53 PM #3 of 10
Heheh, that crappy coil pot? That thing sucked. It was the second thing I made. The only good thing about it was the glazing.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lizardcommando
WHAT?!

Member 1286

Level 18.96

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2006, 05:55 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2006, 03:55 PM #4 of 10
Yeah, the Lizard character's name is Lizardcommando. He's from my Doom mods, Wolf3D mod, some Flash movies, and some of my own crappy comics.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > My ceramic work