Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Request] About Zelda TP’s Orchestral Pieces

Revoc
River Chocobo

Member 9814

Level 23.49

Jul 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:24 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 07:24 PM #1 of 13
About Zelda TP’s Orchestral Pieces

I have some doubts about the orchestral pieces of the The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Here Koji Kondo says: “Three people (including me) each composed a different approach to the trailer’s music”. So:

1 – The Orchestra Piece #1, that plays in E3 2005 trailer and in the demo movie of the game, is composed by Koji Kondo, right?
2 – The Orchestra Piece #2, included in CD released as a Nintendo Power promotion, is composed by Mahito Yokota, right? Does this track features in the game?
3 – Does the Orchestra Piece #3 exists? If so, who composed? Does this track features in the game too?

Thanks in advance.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 05:45 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 03:45 PM #2 of 13
Wait, ok, what's your question? Did any of these pieces appear in the game? The answer there is no.

As for who wrote what, I am inclined to think Kondo had input, but they were orchestrated by other people. I never considered Kondo a decent orchestrator... if he's even one at all.

If more topically informed people want to correct/contradict me please do.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:06 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 12:06 AM #3 of 13
I posted an explanation in the README of my Twilight Princess rip, you can find it here.
All three tracks are included in the rip.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:11 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 04:11 PM #4 of 13
I find that explanation misleading because of everyone's illusion that 'orchestrated' means 'live orchestra.' It doesn't. Orchestrated means arranged for orchestra, whether or not it's played by one. I still maintain that Kondo sketched out a structure and Oshima fleshed it out for the performance.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Revoc
River Chocobo

Member 9814

Level 23.49

Jul 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:27 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 08:27 PM #5 of 13
Thanks for info, guys!

Cellius, the Orchestra Pieces is actually played by orchestra, according to Kondo says here: "We then recorded each of the three orchestrations with famed conductor Yasuzo Takemoto on hand, who you might know as the conductor who stood command over the amazing 2002 Smash Bros. concert in Japan".

So, Prime Blue, you think this track is the Orchestra Piece #3?
YouTube - The Legend Of Zelda - Twilight Princess - Trailer - GDC 2005

Most amazing jew boots
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:40 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 04:40 PM #6 of 13
Cellius, the Orchestra Pieces is actually played by orchestra,
Yeah I know, I'm talking about the act of orchestrating the music, which is different from performing and different from composing.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 06:58 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 12:58 AM #7 of 13
So, Prime Blue, you think this track is the Orchestra Piece #3?
YouTube - The Legend Of Zelda - Twilight Princess - Trailer - GDC 2005
That's the name I gave it in my rip, yes.

It could also be that the E3 2005/game demo movie is "The Legend of Zelda: Orchestra Piece #3" and the GDC 2005 one is "The Legend of Zelda: Orchestra Piece #1", but somehow it feels more right the other way around. Maybe because the E3 2005 theme by Kondo actually made it into the game and thus has a higher priority for getting number 1.

Yeah I know, I'm talking about the act of orchestrating the music, which is different from performing and different from composing.
You're right, but I don't see...how that makes a difference in the linked explanation.

Kondo said three different trailer tracks were composed by three different people, orchestrated by Michiru Oshima afterwards, then performed by a small orchestra. As Kondo did the demo movie track, we are lead to believe that the others were not composed by him, but rather by Mahito Yokota (who could've done either 2 or 3, but I think he did 2) and a third, unnamed individual (possibly Toru Minegishi, or less likely, Asuka Ohta).

FELIPE NO
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:05 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 05:05 PM #8 of 13
You're right, but I don't see...how that makes a difference in the linked explanation.
I am just a bit wary when people start throwing the term 'orchestrated' around, as that wiki page does. Sometimes it's ambiguous.

Quote:
Kondo said three different trailer tracks were composed by three different people, orchestrated by Michiru Oshima afterwards, then performed by a small orchestra. As Kondo did the demo movie track, we are lead to believe that the others were not composed by him, but rather by Mahito Yokota (who could've done either 2 or 3, but I think he did 2) and a third, unnamed individual (possibly Toru Minegishi, or less likely, Asuka Ohta).
That's a bit confusing to me but after reading it a few times I suppose it clarifies.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:11 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 01:11 AM #9 of 13
I am just a bit wary when people start throwing the term 'orchestrated' around, as that wiki page does. Sometimes it's ambiguous.
Why? It's pretty much a synonym there. What else should it mean? That the developers included the sheet music in the game?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Revoc
River Chocobo

Member 9814

Level 23.49

Jul 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:35 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 09:35 PM #10 of 13
Got it! But the major doubt is who composed the Orchestra Piece #3...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:39 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 05:39 PM #11 of 13
I addressed how many people misinterpret what an 'orchestrated' piece is already. When someone says "that game's music is orchestrated," what do you infer from that?

Edit:
I should clarify that this subject isn't relevant to the original poster's question; merely my observation of the widespread misuse of the term.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Cellius; Dec 21, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
Prime Blue
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1319

Level 20.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 08:01 PM Local time: Dec 22, 2007, 02:01 AM #12 of 13
That's the comment that got me wondering. As the Wikipedia page is as non-ambiguous as it gets.

Still, I think most of the time, it's synonymous. Why bother talking about/calling them orchestrated tracks if they're never to be performed by a live orchestra?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2007, 09:05 PM Local time: Dec 21, 2007, 07:05 PM #13 of 13
Because orchestration is the act of arranging for orchestra, whether or not it's going to end up as a live performance. Most people don't call synthesized music orchestrated, for lack of being aware of the term's definition. Just a pet peeve of mine.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [Request] About Zelda TP’s Orchestral Pieces