Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Rescue Me

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 08:10 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 07:10 PM #1 of 23
Rescue Me

Official Site

Season 3 starts tonight at 10PM EST, and I for one am eagerly anticipating it. I just started watching this show a couple of weeks ago through the DVDs of the first and second seasons, but it has already become one of my favorite shows on television. I started this thread to see if there were any other fans here on Gamingforce, and if there are we could discuss the show here. I also hope that maybe I could actually get some people to start watching.

For those who don't know, Rescue Me is about the lives of a group of firefighters in post-9/11 New York City. It shows you their lives at work and at home, both of which are pretty turbulent. The main character is Tommy Gavin, played by Dennis Leary, who, at the start of the series, is separated from his wife, has a drinking problem, and sees ghosts, specifically the ghost of his cousin, who died during 9/11. As serious as this stuff may sound, the show has a great mix of comedy and drama, both of which are as good as the other.

So anyone else watch the show? Anybody else can't wait to see the third season premiere tonight? Just want to talk about the show? Discuss Rescue Me!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 08:19 PM #2 of 23
Sounds nice. What channel is it on?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 08:22 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 07:22 PM #3 of 23
It comes on the cable channel FX.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 08:24 PM #4 of 23
NOOOO!!! Curse basic cable....

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Enter User Name
Chocobo

Member 510

Level 11.74

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 09:41 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 07:41 PM #5 of 23
I love this show. I've seen every episode. I didn't like it at first because I was expecting "The Shield" with Firefighter(probably because its on FX) when I first heard about it, and when I saw the first episode I didn't even realize it was a comedy. But it very quickly grow on me and I was hooked after the 2nd episode. It's one of my favorite shows(top 3 or 4), I'll be watching this later for sure.

I was speaking idiomatically.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 10:08 PM #6 of 23
This is one of my favorite shows on tv. With so many cop dramas out there, it's great to see something different. It combines both drama and comedy together seamlessly. The entire cast is great and was selected very well. I just finished watching the first episode of season 3 and it looks like it's going to be yet another great season.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old May 30, 2006, 10:20 PM Local time: May 30, 2006, 09:20 PM #7 of 23
Originally Posted by Enter User Name
I didn't like it at first because I was expecting "The Shield" with Firefighter(probably because its on FX) when I first heard about it
That's actually what I though the show was until I actually sat down and watched an episode, but now I know it's far from it. The Shield is a great show, but I love Rescue Me a lot more (I would definitely put it in my top 5 shows of all time).

Tonight's episode was awesome. First off, I just want to say that I'm glad that they added Dean Winters as a regular this year. This is great, because Johnny is one of my favorite characters, so this means we'll get to see more of him this season. Of course, that reveal at the end of the episode with him was great as well, and I can see that definitely making some sparks fly later in the season.

Tommy was fucking great as well, as he always is. His delusion with his kids at the beginning, his talk with Damien's teacher, the scene with the little girl at the end, they were all pretty good moments. I definitely can't wait to see how he'll be like later in the season, when he finds out about Janet and his brother, Garrity and his sister, etc.

This definitely looks like it's gonna be a great season, and they're not even done setting it up yet. They still haven't even done anything major yet with Franco or Sheila yet, so there's still more great stuff to expect.

FELIPE NO
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 07:28 AM #8 of 23
Last night's opener was great. Finding out that Jimmy was the new guy Janet is dating was a shocker. All hell is gonna break loose when he finds out. But, that moment at the end was powerful. Everyone thinks that Tommy has lost it again and was seeing things, but he was right, and ending up saving a life that everyone has had given up on. Despite all his faults and weaknesses, Tommy is a good guy at his core.

I'm interested to see what happens with Lou. He's fallen on hard times since he got screwed over by "Candy". After he saw that DVD of her, I wonder if he'll try to track her down at some point.

All in all, it was a great opener. And, going by the preview for the entire season, it looksl ike the rollercoaster ride is just beginning.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2006, 09:13 PM #9 of 23
Another great episode tonight. Hell, the last five minutes alone was some of the best stuff out of the entire series. Tommy beating the shit out of Johnny was fucking awesome, especially after the way he found out about him and Janet. Not only that, but, just like almost every episode, that was a great song they featured during that scene. This show's soundtrack is awesome.

Now we gotta wait for Tommy to beat the shit out of Garrity. I don't know if he'll take it as far as he did with his brother, but he's definitely gonna do something when he finds out.

Susan Sarandon guest starring was alright, but it was nothing special so far. Hopefully she'll do more in future episodes, as she looks like she could be a pretty good character.

Most amazing jew boots
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:23 PM #10 of 23
heh, the title under your avatar hit the nail on the head, I just didn't think it'd be this soon. Jimmy got the utter living shit beat out of him tonight. Tommy totally snapped when he saw them holding hands under the table. Then, when they got outside, he threw Janet against the car and throws Jimmy through a car window. It was beautiful. He had it comin'. Garrity's gonna get his ass kicked too probably, but not as badly.

Damn man, Lou is really in a bad way right now. All I can say is I hope he finds the bitch that screwed him over.

The whole scene with Susan Sarandon didn't really interest me all that much. It was cool though. Glad to see some cameos on the show. She's a nice addition, I guess.

Next week is looking great as well. Season 3 is shaping up to be the best season yet.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 6, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Jun 6, 2006, 09:44 PM #11 of 23
Yeah, I didn't think it would be this soon either. Now that it has already happened, I'm gonna have to think of something else to put under there. By the way, I think you have his name confused. His brother (the guy he beat up) is named Johnny, and his cousin (the one who died during 9/11, and now visits him as a ghost) is named Jimmy. Just wanted to clear that up.

And yeah, Lou really is in the shitter right now. If he did manage to find that girl, who knows what he'll do to her. He's one of my favorite characters though, so I hope they don't make him do something that gets him off the show. And as an aside, John Scurti, the actor who plays Lou, has a blog on tvguide.com talking about the show and stuff. It's pretty funny, so give it a read if you can.

And yeah, the cameos are good, but definitely not needed with a cast this strong already. I think the only other they're having this season is Marissa Tomei, so at least they're not going overboard with them like other shows do.

bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 7, 2006, 08:21 AM #12 of 23
Originally Posted by RockgamerXIII
By the way, I think you have his name confused. His brother (the guy he beat up) is named Johnny, and his cousin (the one who died during 9/11, and now visits him as a ghost) is named Jimmy. Just wanted to clear that up.
Yeah, my bad. I keep getting their names confused. Thanks for clearing that up.

And yeah, Lou really is in the shitter right now. If he did manage to find that girl, who knows what he'll do to her. He's one of my favorite characters though, so I hope they don't make him do something that gets him off the show. And as an aside, John Scurti, the actor who plays Lou, has a blog on tvguide.com
I have to agree. The character he plays is one of my favorites too. They'd be crazy to boot him from the show. I'll have to check out his blog.

And yeah, the cameos are good, but definitely not needed with a cast this strong already. I think the only other they're having this season is Marissa Tomei, so at least they're not going overboard with them like other shows do.
Rescue Me has a very stellar cast. Right now, it has overtaken The Shield as my favorite show on FX. I like how a lot of the cast either knows the New York area very well or lives there. I recently purchased the first two seasons on DVD and found out while watching some of the bonus features that they also get input from actual NY firefighters to improve on the realism of the show. I think that's really cool.

Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: Jun 13, 2006, 09:16 PM #13 of 23
What. The. Fuck.

After all the joking around and questionable behavior, Probie actually has turned gay? I want more confirmation from future episodes, but that's what it looks like. I just can't believe it.

And man, Lou...whew! If he gets any more cracked up than he is now who knows what he'll do next. I know he went through some tough shit, but I never would have thought he would deal with it like this. It seems like his job is the only thing keeping him alive.

That scene with Johnny talking to Katy was pretty hard to watch. I mean, just looking at his face like that was pretty harsh, but watching him try to explain that fight to her was just as harsh.

As for Susan Sarandon, she's not really as interesting as I thought she would be. It just seems like she's there just to give Franco something to do outside of the firehouse, so anybody could have had this role really. I still like the relationship he had with Laura from last season way more than I like this one. Too bad she left the show (to work on Numb3rs ).

But overall, definitely another good episode. It didn't have a scene like last week's episode, but it didn't really need it either. anyway, can't wait to see more!

dwass5656
Banned

Member 6949

Level 1.34

May 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:54 PM #14 of 23
What. The. Fuck.

After all the joking around and questionable behavior, Probie actually has turned gay? I want more confirmation from future episodes, but that's what it looks like. I just can't believe it.

And man, Lou...whew! If he gets any more cracked up than he is now who knows what he'll do next. I know he went through some tough shit, but I never would have thought he would deal with it like this. It seems like his job is the only thing keeping him alive.

That scene with Johnny talking to Katy was pretty hard to watch. I mean, just looking at his face like that was pretty harsh, but watching him try to explain that fight to her was just as harsh.

As for Susan Sarandon, she's not really as interesting as I thought she would be. It just seems like she's there just to give Franco something to do outside of the firehouse, so anybody could have had this role really. I still like the relationship he had with Laura from last season way more than I like this one. Too bad she left the show (to work on Numb3rs ).

But overall, definitely another good episode. It didn't have a scene like last week's episode, but it didn't really need it either. anyway, can't wait to see more!

I havent seen it yet, but it is sitting on my tivo waiting for me...I cannot wait, I love this show, and the probie being gay thing has peaked my interest since I read it, I thought they might take him that way, but I wasnt really sure....

Listen to C'mon C'mon (Album Version) by The Von Bondies : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12889749

Most amazing jew boots
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 16, 2006, 01:18 PM #15 of 23
I thought this week's episode was really good. I agree with you on everything you said, RockgamerX.

Outside of that, the way Tommy is fucking around with Garrity is hilarious. I can't really tell if Tommy actually knows about Garrity and his sister or not. I miised a beginning of the scene where Garrity, Tommy and Franco were sitting at the table. Garrity walks off to avoid Tommy and Franco says something along the lines of "This is more fun than you said it would be." So did I miss something? Did Franco tell Tommy about the whole thing beforehand?

The way Tommy is freezing out Janet is classic. That part where the firefighters get a call and she's just standing there as they leave was awesome.

Most amazing jew boots
dwass5656
Banned

Member 6949

Level 1.34

May 2006

Old Jun 18, 2006, 07:49 PM #16 of 23
oh yeah, tommy is the best guy on the show, i thought that was really funny what he did to janet

Listen to Peace Frog by The Doors : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12857806

How ya doing, buddy?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:40 AM Local time: Jun 18, 2006, 11:40 PM #17 of 23
Originally Posted by bishop743
So did I miss something? Did Franco tell Tommy about the whole thing beforehand?
If he did, they didn't show it to us, because I saw the whole episode and I don't remember Tommy ever being told about Garrity seeing his sister. By the way he's acting though, I would find it hard to believe that he doesn'r know something.

Quote:
Listen to C'mon C'mon (Album Version) by The Von Bondies : http://www.napster.com/player/tracks/12889749
I actually have the Rescue Me album, which has this song along with lots of others used on the show from it. I could upload it if either of you guys want it. I found all the songs to be pretty good, even outside of the show (it even has some songs on there that are used in season 3, some from episodes which haven't even aired yet).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 06:57 AM #18 of 23
I actually have the Rescue Me album, which has this song along with lots of others used on the show from it. I could upload it if either of you guys want it. I found all the songs to be pretty good, even outside of the show (it even has some songs on there that are used in season 3, some from episodes which haven't even aired yet).
If you could upload that sometime, it'd be great. I would love to hear it.

Most amazing jew boots
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 19, 2006, 03:23 PM Local time: Jun 19, 2006, 02:23 PM #19 of 23
Okay, here's the link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mt0z8z

I was gonna list which songs I like the most on there, but I realized that I like almost every song on there. I only wish they would have put more songs on there that were used in the series (like that Coldplay song that was used in the first episode).

fixbayonets
Engine/Ladder

Member 9035

Level 1.10

Jun 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 01:10 AM #20 of 23
The show is an absolute disgrace to the City of New York Fire Department. Aside from the major inaccuracies, it also portrays firefighters as a bunch of hooligans. While I understand they need drama to sell the show, I worry that this show molds how the public view the FDNY.

Manhattan Box 8087-343 Bravest
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 09:18 PM #21 of 23
Originally Posted by fixbayonets
The show is an absolute disgrace to the City of New York Fire Department. Aside from the major inaccuracies, it also portrays firefighters as a bunch of hooligans. While I understand they need drama to sell the show, I worry that this show molds how the public view the FDNY.
Are you actually a New York firefighter? I've been wanting to know what they really think about the show. Other than the ones they had on the season 2 DVD talking about it (who were probably bias since some of them work for the show), I've never heard any real FDNY members talk about it.

As for how this show molds the public view, I don't think it's too bad. Most viewers can probably tell where the line is drawn between a realistic depiction and one done just for drama, so I don't see too many people looking at firefighters in a bad light after watching this show.

Anyway, man, I can't believe I forgot to post in this thread last week! I must have forgot because the last game of the NBA Finals was on that same night.

The most shocking thing about last week's episode was, of course, the "rape" scene. I don't know, it seemed a little out of character, even for Tommy. And I still haven't been able to figure out exactly what Janet's reaction to that was. It was like she was disgusted, but satisfied with it at the same time.

As for this week, I'm glad to see some more stuff with Uncle Teddy. He's freakin' hilarious, so it was great that he got more time this week. I also thought Marissa Tomei was pretty good, better than Susan Sarandon anyway. I can't wait to see what she and Tommy do together in regards to Janet and Johnny.

And damn, that sucks that we have to wait two more weeks for the next episode.

fixbayonets
Engine/Ladder

Member 9035

Level 1.10

Jun 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:32 PM #22 of 23
I'm going to be entering the Fire Academy in November(hopefully) and my Dad has been a firefighter in the city for about 17 years. I'd say about 95% of the firefighters think the show is a bunch of BS. Nothing you can really do about it though, it's television and sex/drama sells. It just pisses guys off that Denis Leary is always "all for the firefighters" and then goes and motherfucks us on television. Just my and a lot of other guys 2 cents.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Manhattan Box 8087-343 Bravest
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:37 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 10:37 PM #23 of 23
Wow, I certainly didn't expect everyone to be all positive about the show, but you make it sound like the majority of the FDNY hates the show. I guess I can see why, but like you said, it still makes for good TV. I still respect firefighters for what they do though, despite however they may be depicted on this or on any other show.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Rescue Me