Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

DarkLink2135's Photo Thread

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 08:54 PM #1 of 12
DarkLink2135's Photo Thread

I don't pretend to be an expert or anything, but anyway here are some photos I have shot. I'm just kind of a freelance ameteur photographer...I just photograph what I like. I'm not a big fan of editing, so all these pics are pretty low-res versions of the originals. These are all copied over from posts I have made in other forums, so don't expect the text to be coherent or meaningful for the most part .

Anyway as you can probably tell I really like to mess around with light.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's some of mine. I'm not necessarily a great photographer or anything, I just take photos leaning towards my tastes. I sometimes throw the rule of thirds to the wind and purposefully take very overexposed or underexposed images, just whatever fits my mood. I dont THINK I've posted these before but I have no idea.

EDIT -> wow i really ****ed this post up =/. anyway its fixed now lol

I got several shots just messing around with my mom's church village thing she puts up every christmas. This is just one of them. I had some posted in this thread earlier but I dont think this was among them.

This I think I posted before but I just like it a lot .

Inside an old rotting log in the woods behind my house.

I think I posted this but its cool IMHO. No photoshopping, thats unaltered except for the fact that I DID flip the image (and rename it ).

Inside my dorm. This was the only day the sun has ever shone in so brightly, you couldn't even look down the end of the hall. Anyway I figured it was a good time to mess around.

Got my friend to help out .

More old farm equipment.

Could have been lined up better but whatever.

Old railroad ties. Actually, this is inside a single one.

No idea what this is. I just like the shot. A tiny bit more overexposed than I would like, probably a helluva lot more overexposed than what you would like .

Same here, I wish it was just a tiny bit less overexposed but whatever.

A dead tree with some mushrooms.

Anyway yeah. I have a ton more pics from when I went out in the woods because the light was nice. Most of them suck but meh =/ whatever. They are good enough for me .

I was coming back from watching Serenity in the dungeon (basement of the science building, awesome movie by the way) when I caught the perfect dusk conditions...unfortunately stuff goes by so fast. When I got back the green had gone from the spectrum in the sky, which really sucked. Couple minutes earlier... They were still OK which is why I'm posting them here, but nowhere near as good as they could have been. As always you can go to my image gallery to see the images in full quality & size. They are all unedited, if I do anything with them I'll probably straighten them out and stuff. Indiana isn't the flattest state in the nation . By the time I got to the last 2 shots, it was really too dark to have any good shots, and I had a migraine and really screwed up some of the layouts.

(Continued)

(2 Duplicate Images Removed)

Those are smaller images, I have higher rez ones.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 03:47 PM Local time: Apr 22, 2006, 01:47 PM #2 of 12
I can see those making great wall paper images as some type of photographic still life. Some of those images that looks into the light and the close up are actually pretty interesting. Although I peraonlly have the urge to digitally touch up some of those sun bathed desaturated color ones, but compositional wise, its actually pretty interesting to look at. Although I couldn't really critque photography though. >.>

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 22, 2006, 04:52 PM #3 of 12
Thanks . None of these have been touched up at all, I dumped them straight from my camera and onto my image album . If I ever get that urgle, lol, I'll probably touch them up so they aren't so "sun bathed." Any critique is good though, lol, like I said, I'm hardly even an ameteur. Its a hobby the same way gaming is a hobby to me .

I also took a lot more pics today, here they are:
(You guys can visit my image album if you want full res pics, or the rest of them. I get 25gb/month bandwidth so it shouldn't be a problem.

Here are the ones I particularly like that I took today. I actually took about 70 or so.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2006, 03:43 PM #4 of 12
Some are good and some look unecessary.
I like the one in the dorm, looks like it would be in the cover of some movie. And the church ones are very bright and catching to the eye.
Keep your creative eye open, you got some nice ones ^_^

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

New Record!
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 01:35 AM #5 of 12
Those are very interesting photos! I really love the atmosphere in those photos of the church...village...model thing. The first dorm shot was also very nice, and the contrast between the light and dark areas was an added plus. I also really liked the photo with the mushrooms on the tree. Those shots you took after the movie were pretty nice, although I do agree that they could have been better. Still, the concept was great! The Christmas light idea was also pretty neat. You might be able to get some very nice shots if you mess around with that idea.

Your next set of photos is also very nice. While some of the shots seemed out of focus, there were some great-looking ones. I really liked the shot of the statue, as well as the larger flower photo before your bicycle one.

Keep up the good work! I know nothing about photography, but oh well.

I was speaking idiomatically.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 03:58 AM #6 of 12
Originally Posted by elwe
Those are very interesting photos! I really love the atmosphere in those photos of the church...village...model thing. The first dorm shot was also very nice, and the contrast between the light and dark areas was an added plus. I also really liked the photo with the mushrooms on the tree. Those shots you took after the movie were pretty nice, although I do agree that they could have been better. Still, the concept was great! The Christmas light idea was also pretty neat. You might be able to get some very nice shots if you mess around with that idea.

Your next set of photos is also very nice. While some of the shots seemed out of focus, there were some great-looking ones. I really liked the shot of the statue, as well as the larger flower photo before your bicycle one.

Keep up the good work! I know nothing about photography, but oh well.
Thanks . I generally have a hard time getting the focus to come out exactly how I want it to on my shots, and with the tiny little LCD monitor on my cam its hard to tell if the focus was good or not =/.

I was a bit ticked off with the nighttime ones . A few minutes earlier the color would have been perfect. Still not great angles or shots or anything (the only one I really like out of that bunch was the one with the trees & the light) but prettier to look at.

When I get rich I'll buy a nice camera that I can play around with .

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

FGSFDS!!!
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 04:29 AM Local time: May 7, 2006, 02:29 AM #7 of 12
I actually really like the photo of the yellow hallway, although I think it would have been better without people, and as a high dynamic range image. Try re-taking it sometime without any people, and maybe a little higher up, too!

Most amazing jew boots

DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 7, 2006, 04:37 AM #8 of 12
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
I actually really like the photo of the yellow hallway, although I think it would have been better without people, and as a high dynamic range image. Try re-taking it sometime without any people, and maybe a little higher up, too!
I'll try that, if I ever catch another day where the light is that awesome. The sun hasn't really ever come through that brightly since then. I mean seriously, this sun was so friggin bright, I would come in from outside (meaning the transitional lenses on my glasses had turned completely black) and I couldn't even look down to the end of the hallway. I mean these are good enough glasses that I can look straight into the sun with no discomfort as long as its behind a little cloud cover.

Double Post:
I was lucky enough to catch a pretty cool sunrise today. Check it out. Not my favorite shots and not terribly interesting, but its colorful nonetheless .

They'd at least make decent backgrounds .

They aren't terribly interesting (at least not like a few of my earlier ones) and I really should have tried placing the top of that tree elsewhere in the shot, but I like how the clouds were shaped, and how the light reflected off of them, and moving the tree in that shot would have taken out a significant portion of it .

Sometime hopefully before I go home I'll have sometime where I'm both free and motivated and do a few more shots of a more "artistic" nature.

Sunrise/sunset isn't normally my thing, but this morning was pretty cool for some reason.

This image is with the sunset option enabled. More colors at the low end of the spectrum show up with this mode. (R, O, Y)
This shot was probably my fav of the ones I took.

Same view, with dawn/dusk option enabled. This seems to give a more accurate representation of what was actually going on, with maybe a very small boost to colors at the high end of the spectrum (B, I, V)

I was able to catch the blast of a nuclear bomb going off just over the horizon. The feds are knocking at my door right now to confiscate the pics, but I'm too busy sprouting extra fingers to worry about that right now =/. Just kidding, I was trying out the fireworks mode with my came . Loooong shutter time .

Just a different distance.

Almost the same view, but with the sunset mode enabled.

On a side note, any other photographers, pro or ameteur on these forums? I'd love to take a look at some of your work.

Double Post:
Oh, since I got a good reaction to the "church village" shots:

Here are a couple others. I don't like them near as much as the two I originally posted, but here they are nonetheless:

This might be one I'd actually touch up to get rid of the living room couch in the background =/. Oh yeah, and the wall .

How ya doing, buddy?

FGSFDS!!!

Last edited by DarkLink2135; May 7, 2006 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 02:27 AM Local time: May 15, 2006, 12:27 AM #9 of 12
Grr... I really wish that photo of the tin box in the leaves wasn't so over-exposed. I really like that one. It reminds me of RE4.

The only sort of advice I really have is that a majority of them don't really feel like they're focused on anything. Find an object that appeals to you visually and use the surrounding area to put an emphasis on that focal point. Like DSCN0479 for example. The path and the trees all lead up to that building. I think the composition in that photo is great.

DSCN0568 also has that same concept (the bike photo). I really like the repetition.

I also like how in photo DSCN0529 that blue reflector really stands out from everything else. It really draws the eye. My only concern is that while it draws the eye to itself, it's not particularly interesting other than the color being so vivid. But you could use that same technique in the future.

Also, I hope you don't mind but...

Spoiler:
I took one of your photos into photoshop :p. I know you're not into editing but with digital photography (I'm assuming these are digital) I've found that editing is pretty much a given. Or maybe it's my camera and I just don't know how to take good pictures with it (I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-T1. Nothing big :p).

(The saturation thing has become something of a personal preference)

It looked a little washed out to me so I just darkened the mid-tones a little in levels, lowered the overall saturation with the Hue/Saturation option and saturated the main colors (Red and yellow) and that green plant. I kept that blue reflector concept in mind and wanted to draw the attention to the plant (since it stands out).

For some reason now, I get the impression that the wood is like some kind of tidal wave coming to destroy the little plant :p.

Again, I mean no offence by altering your image, just suggesting an alternative method.

So yea, good stuff. Keep shooting.

Off topic, I like your hair :p

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 09:07 AM #10 of 12
Nah man, I'm glad you took the time to edit it . I"m fairly lazy, lol, so I probably wouldn't have gotten to see how it could have looked otherwise . The washed-out-ness was a personal preference at the time that after I took the shots and looked at them, I kind of wished I wouldn't have done.

But thanks . The bike one I particularly liked also.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

FGSFDS!!!
photto
fotografia

Member 6681

Level 2.38

May 2006

Old May 15, 2006, 05:28 PM Local time: May 15, 2006, 04:28 PM #11 of 12
The sunsets are good but maybe you could have tried getting something else in there, maybe more trees, or no trees.

As for the piece of old farm equipment, maybe try bringing the brightness down and darkening the rusted metal to give it a more genuine look. It's a good shot but the overexposure dulls it.

Nonetheless, keep at it =).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 01:25 AM Local time: May 16, 2006, 01:25 AM #12 of 12
I think overall your pictures lack some sort of punch. They're rather ordinary. What are you trying to focus on? The farm photos can use a filter, or maybe Photoshop work to create more contrast could soften the washed out look. The macro attempts are drab (wow, new pair of Converses! ), but most macro shots show something that we cannot fathom with our naked eye. The sunset photos are probably the best so far. Anyway, keep it up!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > DarkLink2135's Photo Thread