Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Share The Road.

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:42 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 12:42 AM 1 #1 of 54
Share The Road.

There is nothing that pisses me off more than road bikers riding in places they shouldn't be. I frequently drive children around in my semi-rural area, and I am constantly having to move into the left lane to avoid road bikers, endangering the lives of everyone in the car and the biker, not to mention the car I could potentially hit. I wouldn't even mind if it was in a location where I could see further down the road, but here there are turns constantly and you can't see what's around the corner. I'm not willing to jeopardize my life so these guys can ride their fucking bicycles. If they're riding their bikes for transportation, I understand. If there is a bike lane, that's fine. But if you're riding your bike for recreation on roads with no space and endangering everyone around you, you're fucking stupid and I hate you.

Does anyone else feel like this, or is it just me? When I tell people these I tend to get looks that seem to say I'm blowing this out or proportion.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by DeLorean; Nov 20, 2007 at 01:44 AM.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:47 AM 1 #2 of 54
There is nothing that pisses me off more than road bikers riding in places they shouldn't be. I frequently drive children around in my semi-rural area, and I am constantly having to move into the left lane to avoid road bikers, endangering the lives of everyone in the car and the biker, not to mention the car I could potentially hit. I wouldn't even mind if it was in a location where I could see further down the road, but here there are turns constantly and you can't see what's around the corner. I'm not willing to jeopardize my life so these guys can ride their fucking bicycles. If they're riding their bikes for transportation, I understand. If there is a bike lane, that's fine. But if you're riding your bike for recreation on roads with no space and endangering everyone around you, you're fucking stupid and I hate you.

Does anyone else feel like this, or is it just me? When I tell people these I tend to get looks that seem to say I'm blowing this out or proportion.
Up on the coast of Maine, people do this ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Tiny, winding roads where there's hardly any room for two cars to travel in each direction at the same time.

Yet here are these moronic bikers, taking up a good 1/3 of the lane.

I guess they're entitled to ride their bikes and all, but goddamn

How ya doing, buddy?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:47 AM 1 #3 of 54
No, I agree... Luckily, it doesn't happen to me often, and when it does, I just run the biker over and dump my car in the ocean.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:49 AM #4 of 54
The roads are big enough where I am, and some bikers aren't crazy enough to go down Route 1 in my area with a bike since the normal MPH is about 55.

Either way, when I'm up in the local roads, people who walk way to close to the middle of the road really piss me off. Yes, you're walking, but that's what the fucking sidewalk is for, get the fuck on it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:50 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 12:50 AM #5 of 54
No, I agree... Luckily, it doesn't happen to me often, and when it does, I just run the biker over and dump my car in the ocean.
God, I wish I had the balls you do.

I was speaking idiomatically.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:51 AM #6 of 54
The roads are big enough where I am, and some bikers aren't crazy enough to go down Route 1 in my area with a bike since the normal MPH is about 55.

Either way, when I'm up in the local roads, people who walk way to close to the middle of the road really piss me off. Yes, you're walking, but that's what the fucking sidewalk is for, get the fuck on it.
O GOD thats the worst. There's a SIDEWALK and they're NOT USING IT. What the hell is THAT about.

I mean, I can understand. You want to take a stroll down a busy, high-traffic road with a friend or something. Walk on the sidewalk, bitches. You won't get dead that way.

(The other day, we were driving up Route 1 out of Boston and we saw that the highway actually had a SIDEWALK. I could not even get over that. Who the hell would walk on Route 1 in Revere.)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:54 AM #7 of 54
Like Sass and Sprout said, it happens in this area all the time, and drives me NUTS. Especially, like you said, when I'm on a street thats difficult to see around, so I have to slow down or risk hitting someone coming around the corner...

Kids in town ride their bikes on the street all the time too. They dont bother with sidewalks and usually just circle around in the center of the street. You drive by and they look at you like you're the one thats not supposed to be there. Kinda makes me wish I could run them over.

Most amazing jew boots
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:57 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 12:57 AM #8 of 54
Like Sass and Sprout said, it happens in this area all the time, and drives me NUTS. Especially, like you said, when I'm on a street thats difficult to see around, so I have to slow down or risk hitting someone coming around the corner...

Kids in town ride their bikes on the street all the time too. They dont bother with sidewalks and usually just circle around in the center of the street. You drive by and they look at you like you're the one thats not supposed to be there. Kinda makes me wish I could run them over.
I think the thing that is the worst for me is that they're retirement age people, you think they'd be a little fucking smarter.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
gidget
Shorter than girls should be.

Member 8290

Level 18.41

Jun 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:06 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 01:06 AM #9 of 54
In Southern California there are biking groups that do this all the time. They ride down Pacific Coast Highway/our Route 1 (always busy) 2 or 3 people dense with huge groups. It bugs me even more when they're all wearing matching bicycling jerseys.

In Santa Cruz there isn't a bike lane on Mission/Route 1 and traffic is terrible. People that are crazy enough to ride their bicycles on Mission get hit quite often and a few have died. The investigators almost always say it's the bicyclists fault for the collisions.

Giro0001
Custom User Title

Member 677

Level 14.10

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:23 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 03:23 AM #10 of 54
If someone's doing that then they either can't ride a bike or are stupid.

I ride my bike on the streets at least twice a day to get to and from school, but I am always in a bike lane, on a residential street, or on the 1.5 feet of cement next to the curb (I have cars pass by me all the time, entirely in their lane). So ya, no reason that a biker should be in a lane so far that a car can't pass by the biker in the lane.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Adara
Simplicity

Member 108

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:11 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 08:11 AM #11 of 54
I don't run into this a lot but I had this problem yesterday. This guy was riding toward me in the right lane on the frontage road (speed limit 50 mph) and I'm in the right lane because I have to turn right. Well, I politely go around him and barely make my turn in a move that probably was a little reckless but hey, I'm not going all the way down the frontage road the long way to end up late for my chemistry test. I look in my rear view mirror to see the SOB do a giant U-turn on the frontage road and leisurely start pedaling my way. All that crap because some 20-something jobless bum decided to go for a scenic ride on his bike down the frontage road.

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:13 AM #12 of 54
I really haven't had a problem with biking or walking being in the way. Few people ride bikes, and few things are close enough to walk towards. In fact, most people gets looks if they say they ride their bike around town. Even walking, to a degree, get's some looks, even for college students, and that is despite having a Circuit City, Walmart, and several other stores and restaurants near their dorms.

However, I DO get annoyed when I go into a big parking area and people can't seem to be able to walk across one of the twenty cross-walks. Seriously, the whole purpose of having a cross-walk is so people and walk across it safely. Part of me wishes that a officer who wants to get his/her quota for the month (or year?) would just sit there, ticketing each person who jaywalks. It would be twice as benefiticial-get the quota AND get them to walk on those darn crosswalks.

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:18 AM 1 #13 of 54
Err....you realize bikes are legally required to be in the road, right? They have as much right to the entire lane as you do. Here in Michigan it's illegal for them to ride on the sidewalk.
Quote:
Especially, like you said, when I'm on a street thats difficult to see around, so I have to slow down or risk hitting someone coming around the corner...
In that scenario, you should be slowing down anyway. When visibility's low, you prepare for the worst, not "full speed ahead".

How ya doing, buddy?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:19 AM 1 #14 of 54
I came damn near to hitting a bunch of morons on campus because they were walking ON the road, OFF the sidewalk, at NIGHT, wearing DARK clothes. I blew my horn and swore are the morons, but they didn't get the message. Maybe it was a suicide attempt.

The road is for motor vehicles, brainless fucks, now stay off it. Gas is bad enough without me having to slow down and speed right up to get around your ego bubble.

I have similar feelings about the Amish. There comes a point where your little traditions are so incredibly inconvenient, and in some instances, dangerous, to everyone else that it's a real problem.

Most of the times these people are courteous. Amish wait for a long train of cars to go by, bikers/walkers move way off to the side so I can get around, etc. It's the assholes who think they are better than everyone else for walking or biking that won't move aside because of their principles, or the Amish who are sure to just careen right out into the street in front of a speeding vehicle because of their cute little principles that piss me off and give all-around bad feelings towards the people that excercise their traditions/hobbies/travel methods in a polite way.

FGSFDS!!!

Last edited by DarkLink2135; Nov 20, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
Alai
Exobiologist

Member 5523

Level 8.23

Apr 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 09:48 AM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 09:48 AM #15 of 54
Unless it is a highway or a road with a speed limit > 45 mph you really shouldn't complain. Bikers have the same right to the road as any other vehicle, and it is illegal and dangerous for them to use the sidewalks. It is also common bicycle safety to take up the whole lane to discourage passing, because that's when the most accidents occur. Although, if they are taking up the lane and the speed limit is high, that's abnoxious.

I ride my back from school to my apartment, which is about a 15 min ride. I hate it when people in cars tail me and nearly run me over. The speed limit is 30 and I'm going 20 and those assholes can wait like 10 seconds for me to let them by.

FELIPE NO
Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:34 PM #16 of 54
I can't stand it when bikers do that and I'm not a very good driver to begin with, I'm terrible at safely compensating for space! On more then one occasion I've had a biker just drift in front of my car at the last second without looking assuming nothing would get in their way. It even happens on roads with a bike lane, wide enough for at the very least 2 bikers and it's like it doesn't exist, the road is theirs.

Baaah~
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:46 PM #17 of 54
Here in Michigan it's illegal for them to ride on the sidewalk.
Are you sure about this? I've biked on sidewalks my entire life, and never have I gotten even the remotest of hints that such a law existed.

Nonetheless, I see this all the time in my little neck of the 'burbs. I suppose its good that there are so many bikers, but that doesn't change the fact that they can be damn irritating.
My problems are compounded by the fact that generally these people are:
1) Out at night
2) Black
3) Wearing dark clothing
4) Missing vital bike reflectors
5) Swerving all over the road like an addled drunk

In fact, a couple weeks ago I nearly ran over a kid on my way back from work.

Last edited by packrat; Nov 20, 2007 at 01:49 PM.
Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:43 PM #18 of 54
packrat: Strictly speaking, it's a consequence of the non-uniform laws created by allowing local authorities to regulate bike use, but most cities and townships prohibit it, yes.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:21 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 04:21 PM 1 #19 of 54
Bikers feel entitled to the road. (Sometimes I feel that a nice brush with death might change their mind, but I digress.) I mean its within their rights to wear spandex. Isn't it within that same right to claim that a car should give way to a bike? No?
I DON'T blame them for being a minor nuisance... why ride on a perfectly good sidewalk when the infinitely more dangerous road is beckoning?

It's like they think the sidewalk is more hazardous. I've seen bikers avoid the road as if it were a congo battlefield littered with landmines. Either that or bikers aren't MANLY MEN unless they are 'road warriors' and severely funk up public transit.

I like when they are honked at and they flip people off without realizing that it's for their own good.

Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:45 PM 2 #20 of 54
RainMan, let's go over this again:

They have just as much rights to all roads except the freeway system as any motor vehicle.
In most cities they are prohibited from the sidewalk.

When you swerve over or flip off a biker, you're not sending a message, you're just being an asshole. Learn to deal with other people; you're not the most important person in the world.

Ballpark Frank
Regressing Since 1988

Member 3605

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:50 PM #21 of 54
(The other day, we were driving up Route 1 out of Boston and we saw that the highway actually had a SIDEWALK. I could not even get over that. Who the hell would walk on Route 1 in Revere.)
Who's got two thumbs and walks on highways? That's right, this guy. I've never ever seen this, though considering the frequency of rides in the north-east, it's probably a good idea.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:22 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 05:22 PM 1 #22 of 54
Bah.

They have just as much rights to all roads except the freeway system as any motor vehicle.
A biker who takes up the entire road and swerves constantly causing panic in following traffic, is a problem. It is also dangerous.

A high school classmate of mine's mother was killed while riding a bike IN THE ROAD. She was hit by a car and died instantly. Hmmm, I think I have a theory as how to avoid this... and I think you already know where I am going with this. How many bike fatalities do you hear about when the biker was on the sidewalk?

I wasn't aware of this but this certainly isn't the norm where I live. Many bikers feel it's a good idea to be on main roads when back roads would be just as efficient for getting around. In regards to cities in which it is legal, bikers can and should use the sidewalk if at all possible, especially when there is no one on the sidewalk and the road is full of very dangerous moving machinery.

When you swerve over or flip off a biker, you're not sending a message, you're just being an asshole.
You misunderstand. I said that bikers often flip other people off who are only trying to keep them alive by honking. Try reading a little harder next time before jumping to conclusions.

I have neither said that I have swerved nor flipped off a biker...I just said I would like to. There is a difference between the two. Again, thanks for jumping to the conclusion that I am out to get ALL bikers.

Learn to deal with other people; you're not the most important person in the world.
Wow. Thanks. I like how you are making this about me. I am far from the only person on this world. I'd say you aren't handling my comments against bikers very well. Are you a biker?

It's not like I've said all bikers are terrible people, just those that cause problems when it's avoidable. Next time I advise you to take my commentary with a grain of salt.

Last edited by RainMan; Nov 20, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 05:42 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 11:42 PM #23 of 54
RainMan, let's go over this again:

When you swerve over or flip off a biker, you're not sending a message, you're just being an asshole. Learn to deal with other people; you're not the most important person in the world.
Not to mention if you ride on the pavement you then get pedestrians making harumph noises as you pass. So it basically comes down to a choice of which selfish twat you wan't to aggravate more. Cyclists will choose the drivers, because the law leans that way too.

Why lie, this is about drivers reacting with fear and confusion toward the baffling breed that is the cyclist. The modern driver is hot shit in his expensive commodity, the motor vehicle. He looks out at the world through his metal fort and this gives him a sense of confidence and importance. 'GOT PLACES TO BE PEOPLE, COME ON TIME IS MONEY'. The cyclist is imcomprehensible because he takes a more laid-back look at life and eschews this modern symbol of status and importance. Deep down the motorist is jealous of this, though he doesn't know it.

FELIPE NO
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:04 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2007, 06:04 PM 2 #24 of 54
If anything, this is more about bikers taking 'advantage' of motorists just so they can enjoy the pleasure of a nice, even riding experience, even if it hinders the flow of traffic and causes the irritation of car drivers everywhere.

A 2 to 4 ton vehicle is capable of much destruction and cyclists many times aren't aware of that fact and are oblivious to weaving in and out of lanes which were made primarily for motorized vehicles to traverse.
A biker doesn't have as much a capability for causing bodily harm. Of course, the responsibility and the possibility for destruction lies primarily with car owners. This is where the aggravation stems from, in my eyes.

Main roads were primarily made for transportation of motor vehicles, so why should a biker be allowed to hold dominion? The lane system was made to accomodate a single car, truck, etc per lane.

Arainach

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:36 PM #25 of 54
Quote:
Are you a biker?
Yes.
Quote:
A 2 to 4 ton vehicle is capable of much destruction and cyclists many times aren't aware of that fact
Civil mode off. HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU. Bikers are fully aware of how much damage cars can do; we are forced to deal with it on a regular basis.
Quote:
Main roads were primarily made for transportation of motor vehicles
Actually, there are still plenty of areas around where when the city was planned out, the streets were designed for horses, not cars.
Quote:
Main roads were primarily made for transportation of motor vehicles, so why should a biker be allowed to hold dominion? The lane system was made to accommodate a single car, truck, etc per lane.
If you don't feel you have space to pass, fall in behind. Bikers are allowed to hold dominion because it's within their legal rights and usually their legal requirement.

Also, you'll find far more cars intimidating or cursing bikers than you will bikers retaliating. It's common enough that you'll probably see it at least once on your drive to work.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Share The Road.