Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
FatsDomino's Journal

Journal Banner

FatsDomino's Journal Statistics
View FatsDomino's profile
Entries 283 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 1 entries are private (0.35% of total)
Views 164666
Replies FatsDomino has made 5112 comments [view stats]
Comments 2243 comments (7.93 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 985 props given to FatsDomino [who be proppin?]
Buddies 134 buddies
Relation You are not FatsDomino's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Sep 17, 2007 - 11:37 PM
damn it I found another anime that made me cry ;___;
;___;
and twice at that!

Fucking Air.

Episodes 11 and 12

Spoiler:
where she tries to run and cries for her mother on the beach and the tragic finale

It doesn't happen that often. The last was Azumanga Daioh's graduation episode and before that Grave of the Fireflies. I'm sure there were a few others but these are the ones that stick out and now Air gets to that list.

A lot of people seemed to get choked up about a certain character earlier in the show but that didn't bother me too much. I'm gonna guess it's because I watched Kanon 2006 before this and a certain beloved character was fairly similar but went about it in a longer drawn out way. Oh yeah, I fucking cried for that as well.

Damn it KyoAni now has Clannad on the way soon and more than likely it'll have a tear jerker in it somewhere as well. Stupid KyoAni and making me care for characters with their good story and narratives. Makes me feel all girly and shit.

Well as you might guess since it took me so long to get around to Air which has been sitting in my burnt anime drawer for what seems like years now but I've been going through my anime horde I've been piling up. And before you ask I watched it using Koi's subs. I like to think that I was still following the scene fairly well back then. I was so stubborn that I'd never get around to watching a show until the best (I had to rely on a lot of word of mouth and short inspection in order to not spoil the show) was out and complete. So that leaves me with A LOT of shows to watch. Nowadays fansubbers can be slow and stall seemingly forever. At least the quality ones or for the shows that I'm interesting in watching. A few I remember being left for dead have been finally picked up and finished after years sitting and waiting which makes me happy. I'll really have to download Anime Empire's Hanada Shounen-shi sometime as I did enjoy watching it 3 or 4 years ago - crazy out of place Backstreet Boys song and all.

Anyway, I've finished a couple shows recently. The latest aside Air just now is Samurai Champloo. I think they really wanted to capture a lot of what made Cowboy Bebop such a great experience and for the most part I think they succeeded and then some. It of course isn't the same show or the same story so while it was a blast and didn't have the same memorable ending of Bebop. An epilogue would have been nice but for the most part you get where the characters will end up and since it didn't have an abrupt strange ending that a lot of animes seem to like to end on where you try and fail to derive some meaning it ends successfully. It was definitely a step in the right direction versus Wolf's Rain which I gave up on six or so episodes in and saw various episodes on Cartoon Network which still failed to impress me even then. It's on my to do list but I'm fairly confident Champloo will still rank higher than Wolf's Rain. One of these days I'll give what I seem to view as being pretentious anime a go again.

Let's see what else? Oh yeah, I also watched Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Oh goodness it was a mix of fansubbers and I'm actually thankful I got the one infamous episode by Anime Junkies (lol mass naked child events) so despite some bad subs here and there I could get the jist of things anyway. I did start this whole hobby on Love Hina Hong Kong dvds afterall.

I finished Wings of Honneamise the other day. Gainax' first movie is something else. It's very pretty but unfortunately while being in an alternate dimension or something it's a bit too realistic that the characters fall a bit flat. Flat in an odd way. They react interestingly to their situations and rightly so but for such a high budget film of its time I do wonder how well it was received. It's kind of like, well, I just watched an odd documentary on space travel in an alternate dimension plagued with warfare. While interesting I'm not sure I got a whole lot out of it other than wow the things our forefathers went through during the space race and wow Gainax can really animate something special when they put their mind to it and have a budget to support them.

Oh goodness speaking of old shit I also got around to Kiddy Grade. That is one of the older series I've had hidden away. It was one of the first I ever burnt to DVD. Prior to that it was tons of CDs. I still have my huge bundles of Fruits Basket, Chobits, All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku CDs. Anyway, Kiddy Grade was an interesting concept. And by that I mean all the background shit like space ships, planets, organizations, technology, etc. The characters and shit that happened was all pretty rubbish in my opinion and watching it felt like a chore. I did like Eclaire with short purple hair and big boobs though, not gonna lie. The whole I'm a killer can't handle myself got old the first time she had a NAM episode. The ending where it's revealed that she's actually spoiler's spoiler was pretty neat though. But by the time you get to that part you kind of figure she must have been through some interesting stuff like that if she's that old. I'm still probably going to search out the movie and watch the second season whenever it comes out.

And the last show I've seen recently that I can think of was Noein. Noein at first intrigued me because the crew kept switching art styles every episode. After actually watching the show for real you're treated to a lot of weird and interesting shit that is later force fed to you with bullshit SCIENCE ala Star Trek but by then you're so caught up with the characters and their twists and turns that you really don't care anymore and want to know if the world is gonna blow up all wicked awesome and stuff. Noein is very imaginative but it did give me that Melody of Oblivion vibe of making so much shit up that we've lost track of what we're doing so we'll just kind of stream it along in a fashion and hope you aren't too upset with the end result. I'll forgive it for having great animation and an original design for the characters and well everything. This show also manages to mix 2d and 3d almost seemlessly. It shows that they put a lot of effort into it. However, Noein will probably be remembered as that multiple dimensions with bungie-jumping ghosts from a shitty future show that is kinda weird.

So yeah, I've been busy lounging about with this pile of shit. Some of it's good. Some of it's bad. I've also been reading manga. I caught up with Negima which is fucking awesome as usual. Finally in Wales searching for his dad. I have no clue when this thing is gonna end but Akamatsu has really outdone himself. It's such a shame that with such an easily accessible source material since all of it is done digitally and with a lot of 3d modeling that a decent animated version based on it will never be made. A real shame indeed.

Arcana while short was pretty cool. Psychic amnesia girl who can talk to ghosts solves crime with fun detectives. Throw in some violence and some laughs and a decent plot and you have yourself a nice treat.

Don't read Ichigo Channel. What a worthless shoujo manga. It has an interesting premise but just goes on and on and nowhere. Waste of time. Also, boring.

I read what is available for Golden Boy and Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu and both are really great. Golden Boy is much more than the short OVA and oh god Oe Kentaro gets so much puntang it's not even funny. It's close to hentai but not quite all there since that's not quite it's focus. It's a shame it never made it over here but understandable. The OVA covers just volume 1 and there are 10 or so volumes. Crazy, I know. Guu is just fun. You get a bit more here and there that isn't in the anime but really the anime is better. They are very similar but the sequencing and some changes here and there make reading the manga enjoyable. Unfortunately not much of it was scanlated. A shame.

So uh... while this was meant to be a report on Air making me a baby I guess a few rants here and there is pretty good. Have a good night's rest, guys. =)

Currently Playing: with the thought of starting Gankutsuou

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (13 warpstars)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #104 of 282]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
FatsDomino's Journal