Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Rockgamer's Journal

Stuff.

Rockgamer's Journal Statistics
View Rockgamer's profile
Entries 386 entries in total [view entry calendar]
Private 0 entries are private (0% of total)
Views 136822
Replies Rockgamer has made 3260 comments [view stats]
Comments 2827 comments (7.32 avg) [view stats]
Total Props 83 props given to Rockgamer [who be proppin?]
Buddies 40 buddies
Relation You are not Rockgamer's buddy.
What's New 0 new entries since your last visit.

Create New Journal EntryView All Entries [Viewing Single Entry]
Nov 2, 2007 - 05:01 PM
Massive TV Review
Not kidding, really massive.

It's been a while since I last talked about TV, so I figured I would give an update on what I'm watching and how much I'm enjoying it. I decided to include returning shows this time as well, not just the new ones.

Shows are arranged based on the day they come on, and spoiler tagged because this would be even more massive otherwise.

Sunday:
Viva Laughlin - I said I was gonna try this show out, but it got cancelled before I ever could. That pretty much told me all I needed to know.

Desperate Housewives - It's been alright this season. Nothing extraordinary, but nothing terrible either (and this is a show that has dipped into terrible before, so it's in the realm of possibilities). I have to add that it's great having Nathan Fillion on there, though at the moment he's not being used to his full potential. so all in all, it's just standard fare.

Brothers & Sisters - B&S had a pretty spectacular first season if you ask me, but now it seems to have already reached its peak. The show is still good, but it doesn't feel like it's constantly getting better and better like it did last season, and may actually be getting a little bit worse. Not terrible, unwatchable worse, but just not as good as last season worse. Definitely in the group of shows suffering from the 'sophmore slump'.

Monday:
Prison Break - Yeah, I already said what I thought about this show in the discussion thread. Long story short, the show has gotten fucking terrible, and I'm basically only watching out of habit and because I invested so much time in this show already that I might as well see it end.

Chuck - Still one of my favorite new shows of the season, but it already seems like it's beginning to be more of the same every week. It's still very enjoyable though, and as long as that same keeps being good I guess there's nothing wrong with that for now.

The Big Bang Theory - Another favorite from the new season, but I still completely love this show. It always keeps me constantly laughing, and it leaves me wanting more in the end, which is all you can ask for from a sitcom.

Aliens in America - Even though I thought the pilot was pretty lackluster, I decided to stick with this one. The show has definitely gotten better, but it's still on the lower end of my favorite new shows. It's kinda quirky and offbeat, which I like, but that doesn't necessarily lead to lots of laughs (Arrested Development would be an example of a show that gets it right). I'll still stick with it for now though, as long as it stays on.

Heroes - Pretty mixed on the new season, but it's not in danger of being dropped or anything. Definitely another show suffering from the 'sophmore slump'. Its main problem is that it's focusing on way too many characters, and there just isn't enough time to follow them all. None of the new characters seem to be bad, now just doesn't seem like the right time to introduce them.

Samantha Who? - I've seen the first two episodes so far, and I'm loving it so far. It is one of those shows where you wonder how long they can keep up the premise though. But as long as it keeps being funny, I really don't care how believeable it is or anything (it is just a sitcom).

Journeyman - Still a great show, but it has fallen out of my Top 5 new shows of the season (keep reading to find out which show took its place; it may surprise you!). It is kinda starting to get annoying in the Lost sense, where it keeps bringing up more questions instead of answering the ones it's already posed. But for the most part, it's still an enjoyable show to watch. And on the plus side, I have to say that this show probably has the best theme song of any of the new shows this season.

Tuesday:
Cavemen - After watching the second episode and once again not laughing a single time, I dropped this sack of shit.

Carpoolers - Still nothing great about it, but eh, it's good for a few laughs, and there's nothing else on at that time. If something else did start coming on at this time, I could easily see myself dropping this show, as it's definitely not worth downloading.

The Unit - This is one of those shows that's never been extraordinary or anything. It's good when it's good, but average as a whole. But I still have a good time watching it, and it's good to have something that you don't have to watch too closely.

Reaper - You can basically just copy and paste what I said about Chuck into here. I do think Reaper is the better show, mainly because the characters are better, but in general they are kinda similar shows. That being said, I do think Reaper is in more danger of getting old faster than Chuck is, because while both shows are episodic in nature, Reaper seems like it's just the same episode over and over with certain elements swapped out each week.

Wednesday:
Back to You - Some of what I said last time still rings true (about the show relying too much on star power instead of good writing), but it has gotten somewhat better. I'll probably stick with it for now, but if I start getting too overwhelmed with the shows I'm downloading, this is one of the ones on the chopping block.

Pushing Daisies - I'm just gonna go ahead and say it now: this is the best new show of the season. In all honestly, I was thinking this back when I first made my list of the Top 5 new shows, but I felt it was a little much to say this after only one episode (didn't want another Studio 60 on my hands), which is why I ultimately didn't put the list in order. But after watching more episodes, I feel I can definitely say this with full confidence now.

Bionic Woman - This show, on the other hand, might be the worst new show of the season that I'm still watching. I don't know, it just seemed like it had so much potential, but it's not living up to any of it. The best part of the show is Kevin Rankin's character (don't even ask me to remember anybody on this show's name, aside from Jamie), which is to be expected since he does an awesome job playing Herc on Friday Night Lights, who is probably my favorite character on there (though he's obviously been on there less, most likely because of this show). This last episode was pretty good, but it may be too little too late if it can't keep that same quality up in the next few weeks.

Dirty Sexy Money - This show has surprised me in how it manages to get better and better every week, just like Brothers & Sisters did last season. I admit I kinda wrote this show off as average at first, and it kinda was, but now I definitely wouldn't say that. If one of my other favorite shows manages to screw up, I could definitely see this show taking a spot in my Top 5 new shows.

Life - Yet another surprise. Again, I said this show was pretty meh (I even mentioned I might possibly drop it in the entry where I first discussed it), but it has managed to greatly improved over a span of a few episodes. I don't know what it is either, since this show is still basically your average procedural, but it just works.

Thursday:
Survivor: China - Survivor has always kinda been an 'in the moment' kind of show, but this season has been even moreso like that. Honestly, unless I watching the show right at the moment, I probably wouldn't be able to name anybody on the show(except for Amanda, because she's just is too fucking cute). As for the whole China thing, they made such a big deal about it beforehand, but if it wasn't in the show's title you wouldn't even be able to tell it took place there. So yeah, unless some drastic stuff starts happening, this will go down as a pretty lackluster season.

Ugly Betty - Out of all the returning new shows from last year, this is the only one I can truly say isn't suffering from any kind of 'sophmore slump'. Every episode so far has been at least on par with last season if not better, making it just as enjoyable to watch. I see myself watching this show for years to come.

Big Shots - Yet another show that had a pretty lackluster first episode, but started to improve more and more with each subsequent episode. I'm glad too, because while I had wanted to like the show before it came on, the pilot left me disappointed. But now that it has gotten better I can definitely say that it's living up to my initial expectations. It's almost like the male-oriented version of Desperate Housewives.

Friday:
Moonlight - This show definitely has to go down as the biggest surprise of the season. I never really expected much from this show, but it has quickly risen to my Top 5 new show list, replacing Journeyman. Yes, the vampire detective concept has been done before, but this show is drastically different than Angel. The most prominent difference is that while Angel featured plenty of monsters and fantasy elements, Moonlight has none of that except for the vampires themselves. There are also differences in the mythology and such, but it's this difference which gives the show such a different feel. This one is definitely a keeper.

Friday Night Lights - Even FNL has managed to to be affected by the 'sophmore slump'. Though it's definitely not as prominent as it is on other shows, it's still there. These initial episodes have been really setup heavy though, so hopefully once things all get back into place, this show will return to its former greatness.

Women's Murder Club - I watched the first episode, but it was just too Lifetime-y for me. Take that as you want, but for me it meant I dropped this series.

Saturday:
C'mon, did you seriously expect to find anything in here? Unless you wanted some commentary about Cops or something...

Currently Playing: Bleach (the show, not the game)

Give Props For This Entry (Quality Entry) [1] Edit this entry Delete this entry Comment on this entry (10 agents)
[Create Response Entry]
[public entry #207 of 386]

Gamingforce Choco Journal
Rockgamer's Journal